What premium items are least worth it?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
jackpullo997

What premium items are least worth it?

Post by jackpullo997 »

ie: What are some things you feel are totally overpriced, that most people do not see as price gouged?
To clarify, things like $2000 purses and $500 pens are obvious Veblen goods, so we can exclude those.
arsenalfan

Re: What premium items are least worth it?

Post by arsenalfan »

Here's a stab:
Vodka - a clear, flavorless drink. So why all the fuss?
Alcohol when dining out

Everyday items that aren't value-oriented:
Bottled water
Umbrellas
Newsstand magazines
Coffee house coffee when you're not staying for the ambiance.
Leesbro63

Post by Leesbro63 »

German make cars (even if actually made outside Germany)
Last edited by Leesbro63 on Sun Mar 16, 2014 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Leesbro63

Post by Leesbro63 »

Watches. (that's what smart phones are for)
placeholder

Post by placeholder »

arsenalfan wrote:Umbrellas
What is the objection here as there are very reasonably priced umbrellas and they are very functional in the right circumstances.
Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

I'm amused by all the items so far......as I never buy any of them.

I thought answers would be along the line of Maseratis.....which are clearly overpriced by their resale value (or even new leftover value)
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid
arsenalfan

Post by arsenalfan »

Umbrellas = to clarify, they're very functional and not a "premium" item per se; more an item that I think many splurge on as a fashion statement. There are a ton of $$$$ stylish/fun ones (think MoMA/Brooks Brothers) that, in the end, get just as easily turned inside-out/broken by gusts as the $10 Totes variant.

Guess the same could be said for cars, watches, really any consumer item. I just know many folks who get bummed out when their fun/fancy umbrella gets demolished on a windy day.
Ged

Post by Ged »

Jewelry.
gcat

Post by gcat »

Smartphones: between the high price and constant connection with others, I find them to be highly overrated.
sscritic

Post by sscritic »

placeholder wrote:
arsenalfan wrote:Umbrellas
What is the objection here as there are very reasonably priced umbrellas and they are very functional in the right circumstances.
The boys in the hood wear hoodies. An umbrella is a useless item, only used by fops and dandies who don't know how to pull their hoods up over their heads.
sscritic

Post by sscritic »

I read recently that monocles have made a comeback, so you fops and dandies can wear one while sporting your umbrellas.
One Part Mr. Peanut, One Part Hipster Chic
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/03/06/fashi ... ssory.html
arsenalfan

Post by arsenalfan »

Totally agree on smartphones. Constant connections to others - frequently equating to constant disconnection to present reality going on in front of you.
fishnskiguy

Post by fishnskiguy »

jackpullo997 wrote:ie: What are some things you feel are totally overpriced, that most people do not see as price gouged?
In my opinion, practically nothing is over priced. It's a very competitive world out there. If something is truly overpriced, it soon gets buried by the competition.

Luxury costs. Get over it, or don't buy it.

My $2,000 bamboo fly rods will catch no more fish than a $120 Cabela's special of the day. It takes an hour to make the Cabela's and a week to make a good bamboo rod. Nobody sees me fishing bamboo. It's not status, it's appreciating fine workmanship.

There are lots of things I don't want to go high end on, but on the things I do, they are worth every penny. I'm currently lusting over a $10,000 shotgun which I very probably won't buy. But I sure can lust. :happy

Chris
Trident D-5 SLBM- "When you care enough to send the very best."
Gnirk

Post by Gnirk »

arsenalfan wrote:Here's a stab:
Vodka - a clear, flavorless drink. So why all the fuss?
Alcohol when dining out

Everyday items that aren't value-oriented:
Bottled water
Umbrellas
Newsstand magazines
Coffee house coffee when you're not staying for the ambiance.
I agree with everything except umbrellas. In Western Washington, a good (not expensive) umbrella is a must, if you do much walking, which I do. But I bought my trusty, over-sized umbrella for less than $20 at Costco over six years ago. And I no longer buy "coffeehouse" coffee because I think it's a big waste of money.
Gnirk

Post by Gnirk »

Ged wrote:Jewelry.
Hmmm…are you related to my husband? :shock:
DireWolf

Post by DireWolf »

Leesbro63 wrote:German make cars (even if actually made outside Germany)
I assume you mean all German brands? If so, I disagree. My Audi Q5 is worth every penny and then some.

My opinion... watches. Not only are they unnecessary... they can be outrageously expensive.
ajcp

Post by ajcp »

fishnskiguy wrote:In my opinion, practically nothing is over priced. It's a very competitive world out there. If something is truly overpriced, it soon gets buried by the competition.

Luxury costs. Get over it, or don't buy it.
I'd agree that something is worth what someone is willing to pay for it, but I think things can cost more than their intrinsic value dictates.

For example, brand names.
John3754

Post by John3754 »

People throw around the terms "overpriced" and "price gouging" far too much. We have a free market economy, things are priced based on what people are willing to pay. By definition if an item is overpriced then people wont pay for it and the seller will have to lower the price. That said, I think a lot of Americans are willing to pay a lot more than they should be for most consumer items, as most see no problem racking up debt to purchase items they feel they "need" or "deserve" even though they can't afford them.
John3754

Post by John3754 »

ajcp wrote:I'd agree that something is worth what someone is willing to pay for it, but I think things can cost more than their intrinsic value dictates.
Intrisic value is a difficult concept, other than the basic necessities of life (food, water, shelter) what consumer products actually have Intrisic value and how can that value measured? What, for example, is the intrinsic value of an iPad?
sscritic

Post by sscritic »

The ones you buy. The ones I buy are by definition worth it.

This is another thread to nowhere.
cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath »

Gourmet coffees. But then, I admit I'm no coffee connoisseur. Grocery store house brands are good enough for me.
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.
porcupine

Post by porcupine »

Gnirk wrote:
Hmmm…are you related to my husband? :shock:
Relatively or literally? ;-)

- Porcupine
island

Post by island »

Good, more for me. :D
in_reality

Post by in_reality »

first class on an international flight
The Wizard

Post by The Wizard »

gcat wrote:Smartphones: between the high price and constant connection with others, I find them to be highly overrated.
Smartphones are a vital necessity in today's connected world.
And smartphones with GLOBAL connectivity options are possibly even more vital to some of us.

Pick premium chocolate ice cream as a better example of something not worth it.
:)
Attempted new signature...
NOLA

Post by NOLA »

An huge wedding with waaay too many people. Been to a couple where the cost was most likely $300-400k.

Edit - meant to say things that are overrated. And I know it's not an item, but still think it's overrated.
The Wizard

Post by The Wizard »

NOLA wrote:An huge wedding with waaay too many people. Been to a couple where the cost was most likely $300-400k.

Edit - meant to say things that are overrated. And I know it's not an item, but still think it's overrated.
I would think certain things like this depend on the Net Worth of the purchaser.
If I'm a Zillionaire, a big wedding for $300K might be fun.
But if my retirement savings are just $600K, the same expense might spell disaster...
Attempted new signature...
island

Post by island »

sscritic wrote:

+1
bartbill

Post by bartbill »

in_reality wrote:first class on an international flight
I'm struggling with this issue right now. We are both age 65. Taking a long flight to Johannesburg to begin a safari. Worried about starting out fatigued even with a days rest. First-class is an extra $3k.

Bill
in_reality

Post by in_reality »

bartbill wrote:
I'm struggling with this issue right now. We are both age 65. Taking a long flight to Johannesburg to begin a safari. Worried about starting out fatigued even with a days rest. First-class is an extra $3k.

Bill
OK sure but what's an extra night in a luxury hotel?

I guess it depends on how you adjust to the time differences. For me, spending $3k isn't going to undo my body clock. For me, it might be better to start a day or two early and try to adjust to the time difference before setting off.

Have a fantastic trip!!!
Leeraar

Post by Leeraar »

Gnirk wrote: In Western Washington ... I no longer buy "coffeehouse" coffee because I think it's a big waste of money.
Seems to me, a clear sell signal on Starbucks.

By the way, I think bottled water is a complete fraud. Since the product (water) is free, all you are paying for is waste. Plastic, transportation (fuel = CO2), landfill, ...

L.
You can get what you want, or you can just get old. (Billy Joel, "Vienna")
sambb

Post by sambb »

bottled water, cable tv, hi end stereos, watches (love them, but no), alcohol at dinner, jewelry, expensive wallets, hotel suites, gambling in hi limit area, any car over 60k (tesla, bentley, amg benz), and hi maintenance spouse. and i've had all of these, enjoyed them, but regret their lack of value
frugaltype

Post by frugaltype »

bartbill wrote:

Bill
How roomy is business class, as an alternative for you? I go crazy, figuratively, in steerage due to the lack of room.
Leeraar

Post by Leeraar »

frugaltype wrote:
bartbill wrote:

Bill
How roomy is business class, as an alternative for you? I go crazy, figuratively, in steerage due to the lack of room.
I fly to ZA every year on KLM via Amsterdam. (Gets Delta miles. My target cost is less than $2k for a round trip, Detroit to Cape Town.)

The steerage seats are quite comfortable. You can get economy comfort across the Atlantic for a small premium. It's a long flight, but the issue is the time change and how much sleep you get, not space in the seat.

Take just a fraction of that $3k and splurge while you're there. Seek out the fine dining. It is inexpensive and amazing. (At the same time, regular restaurants are terrible.)

If you have special needs, first class may yet fit the bill.

L.
You can get what you want, or you can just get old. (Billy Joel, "Vienna")
Tybogleheads

Post by Tybogleheads »

In my book as long as your retirement and kids' college are fully funded, you should be able to splurge on premium items that you love and will use regularly for a long time. We own two preowned luxury Lexus, own some beautiful estate jewelry, live in a modest house in an affluent area, It's all about balance- try to live for today but save enough for tomorrow since tomorrow is never a guarantee.

As for premium items least worth it: brand new cars, brand new luxury and name brand jewelry, manicure, pedicure, facials, spa unless of course for special occasions. Designer clothes, shoes and handbags which I am guilty of being fond of. I agree you can save so much making your own coffee. If you must splurge, just choose one item but absolutely you can never do it all without sacrificing your finances. So be smart and choose wisely.
Professor Emeritus

Post by Professor Emeritus »

bartbill wrote:

Bill
Been there, done that, doing it again in August.

My suggestion is fly SAA economy (very nice) and take 3 days rest before beginning the safari. We will go to Kruger for 3 weeks but always stay the first 3 days at Berg en Dal at the beginning of the trip.
Professor Emeritus

Post by Professor Emeritus »

island wrote:

The payoff from Jewelry depends entirely on the person you are hanging it on.
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

I would say this is very much a case of having your own values and thinking for yourself. "If it be not fair to me, what care I how fair it be?" And, conversely, if it is worth it to you, it shouldn't matter what other people think. Just because things can be bought and sold does not mean they are equivalent to dollars, or that the same item should be worth the same amount to everyone.

A colleague of mine used to drink nothing but Kona coffee. He was very particular about it, said it was fairly difficult to get the real thing, was pretty sure he was getting the real thing, and occasionally shared it. I know what his Kona coffee tasted like, and it did taste different from ordinary coffee. A different colleague of mine practically lived for his Hawaiian vacations and alway brought back gifts of what he said was real Kona coffee, and it, too, tasted different from ordinary coffee, and tasted similar to the other guy's "real Kona."

Well, to me, the taste of this "real Kona coffee" was sort of dusty, a little weak in flavor (smooth or mild if you prefer), and seemed to me to have more caffeine in it than my customary Folger's. It was perfectly good coffee. It was different coffee. But, to me, it wasn't better coffee, not worth a dime extra.

Does that mean the other guys were frauds and phonies to whom the price of Kona wasn't worth it? I don't think so, not for a minute. It's just that "there's no accounting for tastes." And of course that is literally true--I don't know the extent of the research on individual variation in taste, but we did that thing with PTC (phenylthiocarbamide) way back in high school, and some people in the class couldn't taste it and some could.

How about sports memorabilia? I'm thinking of cases where there is nothing detectable by examination of a baseball, and the value comes entirely from the documentation attesting that it was the home run ball that won some World Series? Apart from the possibility of fraud, which it seems to me must be high, certification or no, this is a case of something that would have zero value to me, but I am perfectly prepared to believe the collectors who buy them are sincerely getting value.

Let's turn it around. I don't collect rare books, but when I am ordering a book through interlibrary loan, and when I get it it turns out to be an early copy, printed within a year or two of publication... yes, I get a little thrill at knowing that there might have been people who were reading "To Kill a Mockingbird" for the first time, maybe people who didn't know much about it before they picked it up, certainly who didn't know it was going to be famous. Why do I feel that way? It's the same book, the same words, as the required-reading paperback the kids read in high school.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
hudson

Post by hudson »

jackpullo997 wrote:ie: What are some things you feel are totally overpriced, that most people do not see as price gouged?
To clarify, things like $2000 purses and $500 pens are obvious Veblen goods, so we can exclude those.
Edward D. Jones products and the like.

This discussion reminds me of a locked discussion from long ago. I miss Petrocelli! ...who hasn't contributed since July 2013

http://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtop ... 28#p329928

http://www.bogleheads.org/forum/search. ... 2&sr=posts
Methedras

Post by Methedras »

Actively managed funds.
in_reality

Post by in_reality »

100% Kona coffee. Definitely 100% Kona coffee. Unless you can really not only tell the difference between it and a 10% Kona blend, but also really care about that difference enough to justify the price.

I love Kona and if you don't know if you appreciate the difference between it and a 10% blend, you should have both.

Now if you are going for the $600/pound Kopi Luwak, make sure it's not fake! Anyway, it's definately not for me -- http://www.npr.org/blogs/thesalt/2013/0 ... t-for-that
JonnyDVM

Post by JonnyDVM »

The one that puzzles me the most is high end clothing. I like to buy nicer stuff as I've found that cheap stuff falls apart but the super high end clothing baffles me. The mark up on regular clothing is something like 150%, I can't imagine what it is for the luxury stuff. At least high end jewelry sparkles more but I couldn't tell the difference between a $100 dress or shirt and a $1000 dress or shirt.
Last edited by JonnyDVM on Tue Mar 18, 2014 5:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
I’d trade it all for a little more | -C Montgomery Burns
yatesd

Post by yatesd »

- SUV's- when bought solely to "sit high" or to avoid looking like a minivan

- Vehicles bought primarily looks or color paint

- Starbucks (unless getting just coffee)

- Most Apple products

- Stainless steel appliances

- Fancy commercial (or commercial look) ovens and stoves if people don't actually use them.

- Perfume/Cologne

- Any clothing purchased just by the name or just by what's in style

- Any drinks (alcohol or otherwise) bought while eating out. Ice water for me...

- Any hi-tech item in the top 25% price range (my biggest weakness)

- Most things not on sale or bought impulsively

- Buying something because it is on sale (for some items and stores this is their strategy). 50% off jewelry is the new retail, Kohls has a "not to miss" sale every weekend.
frugaltype

Post by frugaltype »

Professor Emeritus wrote:
island wrote:

The payoff from Jewelry depends entirely on the person you are hanging it on.
Then again, some of us buy it for ourselves :D and like it very much.
frugaltype

Post by frugaltype »

JonnyDVM wrote:The one that puzzles me the most is high end clothing. I like to buy nicer stuff as I've found that cheap stuff falls apart but the super high end clothing baffles me. The mark up on regular clothing is something like 150%, I can't imagine what it is for the luxury stuff. At least high end Jewry sparkles more but I couldn't tell the difference between a $100 dress or shirt and a $1000 dress or shirt.
I once tried on a designer (women's) suit. It was amazing. There was no comparison whatsoever between the workpersonship in that and off the rack clothing. Did I buy it? No, I was a starving student and it was two sizes too big. I just happened to run across it in Macy's.

Would I buy something like that now, if I had a lot more money than I do. Maybe.
richard

Post by richard »

bartbill wrote:

Bill
Business class or perhaps premium economy. You might also see if it's possible to buy coach and pay to upgrade, which could be cheaper than buying a better seat outright.
richard

Post by richard »

sscritic wrote:The ones you buy. The ones I buy are by definition worth it.

You're just saying that because it's true.
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

Leeraar wrote:By the way, I think bottled water is a complete fraud. Since the product (water) is free, all you are paying for is waste. Plastic, transportation (fuel = CO2), landfill, ...

L.
Your stand is at odds with an old European tradition of taking waters. After encountering during my summer vacations the cost of mineral water on par with beer, I switched to it at home. I buy cases of S. Pellegrino at Costco.

Victoria
Inventor of the Bogleheads Secret Handshake | Winner of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

bartbill wrote:

Bill
It's interesting that a half of the Bogleheads dream of squeezing into a Porsche but avoid squeezing into an economy seat.

Victoria
Inventor of the Bogleheads Secret Handshake | Winner of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
richard

Post by richard »

VictoriaF wrote:It's interesting that a half of the Bogleheads dream of squeezing into a Porsche but avoid squeezing into an economy seat.

Victoria
A Porsche has more legroom and most rides in a car are for far less time than a longhaul airplane ride.