Health Care Act question about 2014????

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
Near retirement

Health Care Act question about 2014????

Post by Near retirement »

I am seriously contemplating retiring July 1, 2014. I think I have things in order. One question, though, is about health insurance under the HCA. Do I have to meet the March 31, 2014 sign up deadline? I am currently coverage by my employer but would not be upon my retirement. Do I wait until I am no longer covered? Any advice is appreciated. Thank you.

Near Retirement
deanbrew

Re: Health Care Act question about 2014????

Post by deanbrew »

Don't take my word as gospel regarding the ultra-complex ACA, but changing jobs or retiring seems to qualify as one of the "life events" that allow enrollment outside the normal enrollment period. Losing coverage due to a job change or moving qualifies, so I would think that retiring also qualifies.

https://www.healthcare.gov/how-can-i-ge ... nrollment/
"The course of history shows that as the government grows, liberty decreases." Thomas Jefferson
frugaltype

Post by frugaltype »

https://www.healthcare.gov/glossary/ope ... nt-period/

Click on Special Enrollment Period.
BruDude

Post by BruDude »

Near retirement wrote:I am seriously contemplating retiring July 1, 2014. I think I have things in order. One question, though, is about health insurance under the HCA. Do I have to meet the March 31, 2014 sign up deadline? I am currently coverage by my employer but would not be upon my retirement. Do I wait until I am no longer covered? Any advice is appreciated. Thank you.

Near Retirement
You should qualify for a Special Enrollment Period after leaving your employer. Whether the COBRA or ACA plans is a better deal depends on your state and cost of the COBRA.
bluemarlin08

Post by bluemarlin08 »

As mentioned, you should be able to enroll. However, I would carefully review your COBRA coverage versus a plan under ACA. I reviewed one today and they are better to use COBRA.
J295

Post by J295 »

As others have noted, it appears you are not bound by the March 31 open enrollment deadline, which makes sense. I haven't researched it to confirm, but that is my understanding.

When I transitioned we used COBRA for one year and then signed up through the ACA effective 1-1-14. We choose a HDP (high deductible plan) so we could fund an HSA (health savings account), and you may want to keep this in mind as you make your choices. In our case our ACA premiums were 30% less than the premiums we had been paying under COBRA.

Best of luck.