TurboTax Desktop Version

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
Calm Man

TurboTax Desktop Version

Post by Calm Man »

I would like to provide some feedback and "vent" about TurboTax Desktop version. I have used the online version for the last 4 years. This year I tried the desktop version of Premier. It worked fine. One trivial nuisance that one had to download updates from time to time while obviously this was not necessary with online. A big advantage was that you could look at the "forms" view while doing the interview but I learned just awhile ago when speaking to a rep that in fact if you pay for the online you can look at forms view even before filing. Well I filed and it worked fine. I figure though that I wanted to upload my 2013 return to the online site, as when I logged online it had returns from 2012 and earlier but not 2013. Fair enough. I figured it would take awhile for it to "catch up" as the SS # is of course the same. But amazingly, the rep told me that although if doing the 2013 return online you could upload the 2012 file from the desktop you couldn't yet upload 2013 until you did the 2014 return. I guess it isn't a big deal as long as your computer lasts and/or you keep a backup (I use dropbox). But had I known this I would have used the online version. I have nobody to blame but myself but I didn't think it through. Does anybody else care about this?
Texas hold em71

Re: TurboTax Desktop Version

Post by Texas hold em71 »

I only use the online version. I don't think the issue you are describing would bother me too much if I had a return on Dropbox that I could get to. I occasionally log in to the online version from work to look at something. You have to log in to Dropbox to do that. Seems like that takes the same amount of time.

Maybe I am missing something though?
Topic Author
Calm Man

Post by Calm Man »

You're not "missing anything" but that's not what I meant. Dropbox is only as a backup for the file. It is only useful currently if the desktop program is opened, in which case I have the computer and do not need dropbox !!!! The file is will be needed either from the computer or a backup source only when the 2014 version of the online program is available (or needed if I did the desktop again for 2014, which I won't). I now remember why I did desktop deluxe. Because Deluxe online didn't do schedule D and you needed Premier. So desktop deluxe was "free" for Flagship members and had Schedule D. Indeed it did but I learned when I filed that you actually had to pay to file the state with Desktop deluxe but only $20 plus tax.
CABob

Post by CABob »

Let me see if I have this correct.
If I am using the online version I can access prior year's data and forms that were prepared online. If I am using the desktop version it will access prior years data from a desktop version that is on the same computer. But if I am using a desktop version this year I cannot import data from last year's online version, nor can I import a prior year's desktop data into this year's online version.
Do I have this correct?
Bob
steve r

Post by steve r »

Calm Man wrote:You...actually had to pay to file the state with Desktop deluxe but only $20 plus tax.
I found this amusing ... paying a tax to pay/do taxes.
"Owning the stock market over the long term is a winner's game. Attempting to beat the market is a loser's game. ..Don't look for the needle in the haystack. Just buy the haystack." Jack Bogle
ofcmetz

Post by ofcmetz »

I have used the desktop for years, but not the online version. It's always imported last years from my hard drive. Makes no sense that you can't do this from their website.
Never underestimate the power of the force of low cost index funds.
Topic Author
Calm Man

Post by Calm Man »

TO CA bob and officer mertz.
I have needlessly confused you two and others.
I did the desktop for the first time this year. So I had no desktop to import of course. I was indeed given the option to import it from online, which I did.
I also know for a fact from my search that if you do it online but had the desktop file from the prior year, you can upload that.
So you can do anything one year and anything the next year.
I was objecting to the fact that although I did this year (2013) on the desktop, they will not let me upload that to the TurboTax site NOW but instead can only do that if I start a 2014 return on line. At that point I could upload it. I was objecting because I don't want to have to "worry" about losing the file if my computer dies or self destructs or dropbox gets a bitcoin fate (obviously I'm being paranoid as dropbox will survive). That is, I didn't want ot have the responsibility of preserving the .tax2013 file when in fact for it to be filed by TTax even if done on the desktop version, it HAD to go through their site. That's it and I am simply overreacting.

Have I at least clarified my horrendous initial presentation of the situation?
ofcmetz

Post by ofcmetz »

Calm Man wrote:TO CA bob and officer mertz.
I have needlessly confused you two and others.
I did the desktop for the first time this year. So I had no desktop to import of course. I was indeed given the option to import it from online, which I did.
I also know for a fact from my search that if you do it online but had the desktop file from the prior year, you can upload that.
So you can do anything one year and anything the next year.
I was objecting to the fact that although I did this year (2013) on the desktop, they will not let me upload that to the TurboTax site NOW but instead can only do that if I start a 2014 return on line. At that point I could upload it. I was objecting because I don't want to have to "worry" about losing the file if my computer dies or self destructs or dropbox gets a bitcoin fate (obviously I'm being paranoid as dropbox will survive). That is, I didn't want ot have the responsibility of preserving the .tax2013 file when in fact for it to be filed by TTax even if done on the desktop version, it HAD to go through their site. That's it and I am simply overreacting.

Ah, that makes since now. All is clear, all is well. It would bug me a little, but I would just back it up to an external drive that I kept at work till I could file and upload.

How do you like the desktop vs the online version otherwise?
Never underestimate the power of the force of low cost index funds.
CABob

Post by CABob »

Calm Man wrote:TO CA bob and officer mertz.
[Etc.]
Thanks for the clarification. I think I understand. I have always used a desktop version in the past but was thinking about using an online version this year and wasn't sure the prior year's data would be available for use in current year. It isn't a big issue for me, but does save some input time.
Bob