When to consider legal action for expensive 403(b) options?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
StormShadow

When to consider legal action for expensive 403(b) options?

Post by StormShadow »

Recently the retirement benefit director for our university hospital notified us that our benefits committee decided to discontinue offering two expensive mutual funds and replace them with two similarly expensive mutual funds. The retirement funds are managed by Prudential. The official reason for the change, "In order to offer our Retirement Plan participants a competitive and well-diversified lineup".

They will discontinue offering:

Perkins Mid Cap Value A (JDPAX) - ER 1%, Front load 5.75%
Lord Abbett Small Cap Value A (LRSCX) - ER 1.23%, Front load 5.75%

And replacing them with:

JHancock Disciplined Value Mid Cap R2 (JVMSX) - ER 2.36%, no load.
Gabelli Small Cap Growth A (GCASX) - ER 1.39%, Front load 5.75%

Of note, these two mutual funds are used as part of a university portfolio called "the Balanced Fund". JVMSX will make up 3% and GCASX 1% of the total portfolio. This is the default option for 401(k) participants at the university, but people have the option to customize their portfolio (which is what I do).

Now, the timing of all of this is very suspicious. On Dec 18, 2013 LRSCX plummeted by 21.2% and Dec 19, 2013 JDPAX went down by 13.3%. There is no explanation for why this happened in the letter that was sent out to us about the portfolio changes.

I had previously emailed the retirement director earlier last year about adding more low cost index mutual funds. He did not respond. To the university's credit, they do offer VINIX (Vanguard S&P500 index fund institutional shares with an ER of 0.04%). The rest of the mutual funds have similarly expensive ER's.

Questions:
1) Should I email the retirement director again about offering more low cost index funds?
2) Should I email him to explain why the two funds dropped so precipitously in a single day? Does anyone else have any idea why this happened?
3) Should I consider contacting one of the law firms that have been filing these huge class action lawsuits for 401(k) mismanagement? I believe this would be the first instance of a lawsuit filed against a public university.
livesoft

Re: When to consider legal action for expensive 403(b) optio

Post by livesoft »

StormShadow wrote: On Dec 18, 2013 LRSCX plummeted by 21.2% and Dec 19, 2013 JDPAX went down by 13.3%. There is no explanation for why this happened in the letter that was sent out to us about the portfolio changes.
There is nothing in a Morningstar chart of these ticker symbols to show these plummets, so I would suggest that you research the above statement very carefully. Maybe there was a distribution? A split? Or something else where the value of one's holdings did not change much even if the share price changed by 13% to 21%.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
manwithnoname

Post by manwithnoname »

StormShadow wrote:Recently the retirement benefit director for our university hospital notified us that our benefits committee decided to discontinue offering two expensive mutual funds and replace them with two similarly expensive mutual funds. The retirement funds are managed by Prudential. The official reason for the change, "In order to offer our Retirement Plan participants a competitive and well-diversified lineup".

They will discontinue offering:

Perkins Mid Cap Value A (JDPAX) - ER 1%, Front load 5.75%
Lord Abbett Small Cap Value A (LRSCX) - ER 1.23%, Front load 5.75%

And replacing them with:

JHancock Disciplined Value Mid Cap R2 (JVMSX) - ER 2.36%, no load.
Gabelli Small Cap Growth A (GCASX) - ER 1.39%, Front load 5.75%

Of note, these two mutual funds are used as part of a university portfolio called "the Balanced Fund". JVMSX will make up 3% and GCASX 1% of the total portfolio. This is the default option for 401(k) participants at the university, but people have the option to customize their portfolio (which is what I do).

Now, the timing of all of this is very suspicious. On Dec 18, 2013 LRSCX plummeted by 21.2% and Dec 19, 2013 JDPAX went down by 13.3%. There is no explanation for why this happened in the letter that was sent out to us about the portfolio changes.

I had previously emailed the retirement director earlier last year about adding more low cost index mutual funds. He did not respond. To the university's credit, they do offer VINIX (Vanguard S&P500 index fund institutional shares with an ER of 0.04%). The rest of the mutual funds have similarly expensive ER's.

Questions:
1) Should I email the retirement director again about offering more low cost index funds?
2) Should I email him to explain why the two funds dropped so precipitously in a single day? Does anyone else have any idea why this happened?
3) Should I consider contacting one of the law firms that have been filing these huge class action lawsuits for 401(k) mismanagement? I believe this would be the first instance of a lawsuit filed against a public university.
Public employers are not subject to ERISA which has a fiduciary standard. Remedies are limited to those available under state law.

Many states prohibit law suits against government entities under the doctrine of sovereign immunity or do not consider 403b plans to be retirement plans under state law.

Under both ERISA and state law plan can always replace an underperforming fund with a more suitable fund. Best time to remove a fund is after its under performance has been disclosed.

Edit: As noted by several posters the decline in price may be due to a distributions of funds as dividends and capital gains which would have no effect on the funds performance.
Last edited by manwithnoname on Sat Mar 01, 2014 12:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Topic Author
StormShadow

Post by StormShadow »

livesoft wrote:
StormShadow wrote: On Dec 18, 2013 LRSCX plummeted by 21.2% and Dec 19, 2013 JDPAX went down by 13.3%. There is no explanation for why this happened in the letter that was sent out to us about the portfolio changes.
There is nothing in a Morningstar chart of these ticker symbols to show these plummets, so I would suggest that you research the above statement very carefully. Maybe there was a distribution? A split? Or something else where the value of one's holdings did not change much even if the share price changed by 13% to 21%.
Bloomberg, Yahoo and Google all show the drop.

Google does have flags for those days that mention a dividend of 90 cents (2.73%) for LRSCX and 38 cents (1.64%) for JDPAX. So thats part of it.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

StormShadow wrote:
livesoft wrote:
Bloomberg, Yahoo and Google all show the drop.

Google does have flags for those days that mention a dividend of 90 cents (2.73%) for LRSCX and 38 cents (1.64%) for JDPAX. So thats part of it.
Note that a capital gain distribution is NOT a dividend. So if the dividend is mentioned, but the cap gain distribution is not, what good is that?

Let me be more explicit: What was the capital gain distribution for each of these funds in December 2013?
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
sunnywindy

Post by sunnywindy »

I did look at the Lord Abbett website (what a weird name) and indeed the price of LRSCX did change from $41.60 on 12/17/2013 to $32.77 the next day -a massive drop! I own Vanguard Small Cap (VB) and it's behavior on those days was to go from $107.33 to $108.68, so LRSCX's drop certainly wasn't caused by market forces - it is something particular to the fund. What exactly happened, I don't know. While share price is one matter, it really doesn't make a difference -look at Berkshire Hathaway A and B shares. The only thing that matters is if the value of your holding(s) dropped commensurately with the price change (you omitted this information). Even with the switch to CGASX, the value of your holding should be similar.

If the value of your holding did not change, I would switch to indexing fund options, if available, because there is less chance of strange things going on. If not available, I would talk among colleagues to see what they think about forcing change with the investment committee's fund selection - most likely a multi-month if not multi-year process.

If the value of your holdings DID change, my first suggestion is to go to the plan manager in person and ask for an explanation for the price drop and it's relationship to the fund switch. Hopefully, there is a plausible answer. If they can't give a plausible answer (in a reasonable amount of time), I would go to the investment committee with a complaint.

FYI - My Gov 457 was administered by Prudential and they did offer reasonably priced S&P 500,400,600 products and that's what I used. (It's my unsubstantiated belief that many of the mutual fund companies with high ERs could not survive for long in the 'open' market place if they weren't 'locked in' to no-questions-asked retirement plans, 401ks, etc...

Good luck!