Snow Removal Service Surcharge?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
windaar

Snow Removal Service Surcharge?

Post by windaar »

Every season I can choose to pay my snow removal service by the "push" or by the season, that is all the contract says. I always pay for the season. Now they've sent me an invoice for a surcharge due to the heavy snow this winter. I realize that they have been doing a lot of work, but 2 winters ago when it hardly snowed (and they plowed once or twice at most) they certainly did not offer me a partial refund for the seasonal fee I had paid. Is this right?
Nobody knows nothing.
William4u

Re: Snow Removal Service Surcharge?

Post by William4u »

I'm sure there will be some disagreement about this. I would pay if it is fair, even if the contract did not require it. These people work pretty darn hard, don't get paid a ton, and the extra expense won't break most people who use the service. Just my 2 cents.
dad2000

Post by dad2000 »

Assuming you have an alternative (snowblower or another company), I would explain your point of view and attempt to negotiate it down.

It reminds of the people who prepaid heating oil at a higher fixed rate to avoid fluctuations, then were charged surcharges anyway.
telemark

Post by telemark »

I remember one winter when I returned from Christmas vacation to find the driveway to my condominium covered in 4 inches of ice. I had to use a pick and shovel before I could get my car up it. There'd been an unusually heavy snowfall and the contractor just quit. By the time they found a replacement, it had already frozen solid.

If the contract is clear, you aren't obligated to pay, but you might consider doing it anyway if they've always been reliable.
rob

Post by rob »

Not right or fair... You paid for a "season" and as you say, they didn't trip over themselves sending a refund for a low snow season. There are a million providers of this, so just a commodity IMO.
| Rob | Its a dangerous business going out your front door. - J.R.R.Tolkien
serbeer

Post by serbeer »

Read the contract. If there is nothing about surcharge in it, I would not pay it. What's the point of seasonal contract otherwise? They cannot benefit from good seasons and try to evade responsibility in bad seasons unless it is built into contract (which I, personally, would not sign in such case).