Do children become less expensive as they grow up?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
VictoriaF

Re: Do children become less expensive as they grow up?

Post by VictoriaF »

I don't cost my mother anything.

Victoria
Inventor of the Bogleheads Secret Handshake | Winner of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
Nowizard

Post by Nowizard »

No, they do not. Even after they are adults, have their own families and consider themselves more as husbands, fathers, etc., they can revert to being "children" again if there is a hint you might help them fund a home down payment, a new car or a fabulous vacation. :D
Tim
Baseballmom94

Post by Baseballmom94 »

I concur with most of the comments above and I think we may have scared poor Jasper off by now!

I thought once my 2 kids were out of diapers and we were non longer paying preschool tuition that we would have lots of extra cash!! The expenses incrementally increase with age. I do think that the extracurricular activities (sports, music lessons, Scouts, etc.) are definitely worth it because it helps the kids to see where their talents are so that they have something to be passionate about during the teen years. Being in sports, band, Scouts etc. through the high school years helps kids to stay focused in a positive direction and teaches responsibility and time management skills. My biggest advice after having been through all of this with my 16 year old and 20 year old is that you need to evaluate whether your child really needs to be on that elite travel soccer or baseball team, etc. or whether they can be on the recreational or medium-level travel/competitive team that doesn't travel all over the country for tournaments. My kids were both good athletes but we took the medium level approach to sports. This kept our family sane and kept the expenses lower than that of the elite teams but higher than the recreational teams.

With our two kids wanting to attend graduate school or medical school, I'm not sure when we actually will be finished supporting them:)
beachplum

Post by beachplum »

swaption wrote:
Jay69 wrote:
beachplum wrote:If I had to do it all over again, I would not have let my daughters get so involved in figure skating. THankfully I got one to quit when she started high school, and I didn't spend 20k a year (they were never going to the olympics), and grandpa helped in the later years. Totally ridiculous amounts of money. There should be a sign on the door of ice rinks that states the costs for 14 years . Though we all had a lot of fun sometimes.
Not into skating but have a gymnast, I assume you end up with about the same medical bills, sometimes I think the medical bills are more than the gym fees :annoyed

As far as high school, we just leave our check book at the office!
I don't think anything rivals gymnastics in terms of medical bills. Happily my daughter switched to dance. My other daughter is now a figure skater. Definitely, nothing like gymnastics from a health perspective. But I think other expenses more than make up for it in terms of spending. Not a small number of kids at my daughter's rink are being home schooled. Can't imagine what that implies.
no extra medical expense because of skating thank goodness. They were pretty cautious skaters (no olympic stars ) and drank their milk. Honestly I don't see it as a positive thing to beat up your body with sports and then see the crippling repercussions down the road. Skating workout clothes, competition dresses, show outfits, good skates, blades, coaches, ice time, travel costs and some pretty ridiculous parents and not always so nice kids, that's another story. I've tried to tell others not to go this route but it falls on deaf ears.
denovo

Post by denovo »

I think there's a reasonable answer they could be cheaper until you hit 16 and you want to buy them a car, insurance. If you want your kids to be spoiled brats, ya things will more expensive when you need to keep up with the Joneses. Summer camp is a waste of money and time. Make them volunteer at the local hospital for the summer or , heaven forbid, have a job.
"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln
panickedmom

Post by panickedmom »

Ugh, we have a 2 and 4 year old and childcare costs are over $2,000 a month, 2 and a half times our mortgage.
We spend very very very little on things like toys and clothes. I breastfed both for over a year while working full time, so we spent $0 on formula. I think I've spend $35.00 total on my son's clothes in 5 years. ALL are used or given to us by friends.
I have friends with older kids who try to convince me that THESE COSTS WILL NOT GO DOWN as the kids age.
Um, but they have to (college excluded).
They will want to do activities, etc.
But, I'm sorry, if their activities, sports, lessons, etc. costs us more than $500 a WEEK, they are not doing them.
We are sending our kids to public school.
alec

Post by alec »

panickedmom wrote:Ugh, we have a 2 and 4 year old and childcare costs are over $2,000 a month, 2 and a half times our mortgage.
We spend very very very little on things like toys and clothes. I breastfed both for over a year while working full time, so we spent $0 on formula. I think I've spend $35.00 total on my son's clothes in 5 years. ALL are used or given to us by friends.
I have friends with older kids who try to convince me that THESE COSTS WILL NOT GO DOWN as the kids age.
Um, but they have to (college excluded).
They will want to do activities, etc.
But, I'm sorry, if their activities, sports, lessons, etc. costs us more than $500 a WEEK, they are not doing them.
We are sending our kids to public school.
We were in your situation and things got a lot better. Our kids are 11and 8 and we get hand me Downs from friends, and new clothes from grandparents for bdays and Xmas. As said above, elementary school through middle school are fairly inexpensive unless kids are in expensive activities. Of course, these are the ages of fairly expensive vacations like Disney.
"It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it!" - Upton Sinclair
fareastwarriors

Post by fareastwarriors »

You guys are awesome parents. I wish I could've done all the things you guys mentioned when I was growing up in the early 2000s...

In my childhood/teenage years, we didn't do any sports/activities. We watched TV and played videogames or played outside. It was fine. We had fun. Both parents worked all today. My grandpa watched us for a bit but by the time I was 10, there was no adult around. We cared for ourselves. There were no family vacations. My parents didn't get vacation time. The only time my brother and I get to travel was on school trips.

My parents didn't have a college fund for us. My brother used lots financial aid and attended community college and later transferred to a State. I was lucky enough to get a big scholarship along with financial aid to attend a private college.

I didn't realize this when I was growing up but now looking back now damn we were so poor then...
Old Guy

Post by Old Guy »

Four years at the University of Southern California is somewhat more expensive than daycare.
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

fareastwarriors wrote: I didn't realize this when I was growing up but now looking back now damn we were so poor then...
It is a testament to your family's strength that you didn't know you were poor.
I get the FI part but not the RE part of FIRE.
Slowmaha

Post by Slowmaha »

Ugh. My 3 month old's formula is more expensive than drugs. If it keeps getting worse I'm in trouble.

Reading all your posts I think I need to give my parents a ring and demand a check, I was pretty darn cheap.
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

Slowmaha wrote:Ugh. My 3 month old's formula is more expensive than drugs. If it keeps getting worse I'm in trouble.

Reading all your posts I think I need to give my parents a ring and demand a check, I was pretty darn cheap.
Slowmaha, I think we were all pretty cheap in comparison to what we've given our kids. I was the "childcare provider" for my younger sister, because I had to be during those years so that my parents could work. It's a wonderful thing that many of us can give our kids 1000x what we ourselves got. It wasn't that our parents didn't want to provide more; there was just no way.
Bidwell

Post by Bidwell »

Holy Cow, no, of course not.
rob

Post by rob »

Did they move April the 1st?

I'm only part way along this trajectory but from where I sit it's an increasingly rising wall of water and I cannot see the tip of the wave :-(
| Rob | Its a dangerous business going out your front door. - J.R.R.Tolkien
DireWolf

Post by DireWolf »

I'm a little surprised that everyone considers the college years as the most expensive.

My parents didn't have the means to support me in college. It was on me to get scholarships. Luckily I got a full ride to a state university. I worked every summer and that was my spending money for the year. My wife was the same way... full ride to a private university and she worked summers for her spending money. Sure, our parents would help with unexpected expenses and emergencies but that was about it.

My wife and I have more resources than our parents did, so we will probably help a little with college. Our plan is to save as much as we can without sacrificing our lifestyle. When it's time for college, each child will get whatever amount we were able to save ($10k/year, $20k/year, etc). Any costs beyond that, they have to get scholarships, loans, and a job. This will also help them choose wisely about which university to attend. If private university is $50k/year and we provide $20k/year, then they have to make up the difference. State university at $20k/year might be more appealing to them.

So I would expect the college years to be fairly inexpensive.

Also, I am a true believer that people make better decisions when they have some skin in the game. Knowing you have student loans to pay back can be good motivation to study hard and stay out of trouble. In the event that our kids do work hard and make good decisions, we may choose to reward them after the fact, and help pay off some of their loans.
tj

Post by tj »

Also, I am a true believer that people make better decisions when they have some skin in the game. Knowing you have student loans to pay back can be good motivation to study hard and stay out of trouble. In the event that our kids do work hard and make good decisions, we may choose to reward them after the fact, and help pay off some of their loans.
Not only that, it might inspire them to pick a more useful degree if they are on the hook.
jon-nyc

Post by jon-nyc »

I'm with panickedmom.

I see the costs declining from toddlerhood.

In toddlerhood I spent 30k/yr on a nanny and close to 20k/yr on preschool. That was when we were in the city and both working. Now I'm in the burbs and school is free (well, I pay a 17k school tax but I would owe that if I had 0 kids or 10)

I don't think I'll approach the spending levels of his toddler years again until college. Even if I do all the things the other posters have talked about.
Slowmaha

Post by Slowmaha »

TomatoTomahto wrote:
Slowmaha wrote:Ugh. My 3 month old's formula is more expensive than drugs. If it keeps getting worse I'm in trouble.

Slowmaha, I think we were all pretty cheap in comparison to what we've given our kids. I was the "childcare provider" for my younger sister, because I had to be during those years so that my parents could work. It's a wonderful thing that many of us can give our kids 1000x what we ourselves got. It wasn't that our parents didn't want to provide more; there was just no way.

Mmm.. Perhaps, but both my parents retired extremely early. I think paying very little besides food and shelter and zilch for college for both my brother and I was a huge enabler for them to punch out early. I'm not mad at em, just saying.
HomerJ

Post by HomerJ »

DireWolf wrote:I'm a little surprised that everyone considers the college years as the most expensive.

My parents didn't have the means to support me in college. It was on me to get scholarships. Luckily I got a full ride to a state university. I worked every summer and that was my spending money for the year. My wife was the same way... full ride to a private university and she worked summers for her spending money. Sure, our parents would help with unexpected expenses and emergencies but that was about it.

My wife and I have more resources than our parents did, so we will probably help a little with college. Our plan is to save as much as we can without sacrificing our lifestyle. When it's time for college, each child will get whatever amount we were able to save ($10k/year, $20k/year, etc). Any costs beyond that, they have to get scholarships, loans, and a job. This will also help them choose wisely about which university to attend. If private university is $50k/year and we provide $20k/year, then they have to make up the difference. State university at $20k/year might be more appealing to them.

So I would expect the college years to be fairly inexpensive.
How do you figure adding $20k to all your other bills is going to be less expensive? You're still saving them a room for the breaks and summer, you're still paying extra for car insurance, you might save a LITTLE on food, but when they come for the weekends, and summer breaks, they will eat like horses. You're still taking them with you on vacation and buying them clothes. You're basically paying everything you paid when they were in high school, plus an extra $20k for college.
jhd1945

Post by jhd1945 »

The expense is replaced by the joy of spending on grandchildren.
Electrum

Post by Electrum »

Nope. When my son was 13 I came into the kitchen to find him eating a bowl full of cereal. It was a bowl out of which I normally serve mashed potatoes at Thanksgiving.
Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

Ok.....my oldest.....expenses from memory (he's 17)

2 years ago: $700 used downhill bike, probably $3000 in computer and video stuff

1 year ago: Car expenses (incl car): At least $15,000. $2100 for replacement downhill bike.

This year he has a job (yay). He crashed my 8 month old $35k jeep over the weekend (rain followed by falling temps = ice). It's probably totaled. $1k deductable. Luckily, my mom is a snowbird and stores her car at our house all winter. This fall, college starts. $44k - $11k merit scholarship - likely no need based aid will be split by 2 for fall semester only.... $16.5k.

Wife still not working from son #2.

Babies are cheap.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid
DireWolf

Post by DireWolf »

HomerJ wrote:How do you figure adding $20k to all your other bills is going to be less expensive? You're still saving them a room for the breaks and summer, you're still paying extra for car insurance, you might save a LITTLE on food, but when they come for the weekends, and summer breaks, they will eat like horses. You're still taking them with you on vacation and buying them clothes. You're basically paying everything you paid when they were in high school, plus an extra $20k for college.
1. The room is already paid for - we have 3 spare bedrooms and the house is paid off.

2. They will have to earn their own spending money by having jobs. Car insurance, food (except when they are at home), clothes, etc.

3. I don't anticipate they will want to go on vacation with their parents (we will have different interests).

*$20k/year is just an estimate. It may be more or less.
HomerJ

Post by HomerJ »

DireWolf wrote:
HomerJ wrote:How do you figure adding $20k to all your other bills is going to be less expensive? You're still saving them a room for the breaks and summer, you're still paying extra for car insurance, you might save a LITTLE on food, but when they come for the weekends, and summer breaks, they will eat like horses. You're still taking them with you on vacation and buying them clothes. You're basically paying everything you paid when they were in high school, plus an extra $20k for college.
1. The room is already paid for - we have 3 spare bedrooms and the house is paid off.

2. They will have to earn their own spending money by having jobs. Car insurance, food (except when they are at home), clothes, etc.

3. I don't anticipate they will want to go on vacation with their parents (we will have different interests).
I see what you're saying, but how is this different from the last year of high school? Unless you downsize, house costs the same. Food is about the only expense that goes down a little (but when they come on weekends, they eat more than ever before). Your wife really is going to refrain from taking her daughter clothes shopping when she comes home from college? It was easier to say no when the kid is around all the time... When she's home for a special weekend because she misses Mom, I find that money gets spent... :)

If you go on vacation during the school year, you'll be good, but if you're headed to a beach anywhere during winter break with the younger kid, the older kid is going to want to come along... :)

Your mileage may vary of course :)

I certainly didn't find the college years the cheapest of them all... For me, 6-11 is the super cheap years... School instead of day-care... cheap clothes are fine... just a few activities.
kenyan

Post by kenyan »

HomerJ wrote:0-5 Expensive if you use daycare - not too bad if don't
6-12 Pretty cheap (just clothes really, a few activities)
13-15 Getting expensive again - Braces, more activities, they care about their clothes (if girls - still fairly cheap if they're boys)
16-17 - car and insurance - they eat a lot.
18 - college (!!)
This was sort of the outlook I'm predicting. Could be way off, but hopefully we get at least a few years of lower costs in while our salaries - maybe - grow (kids are in the 0-5 expensive day care cohort right now).
Retirement investing is a marathon.
Random Musings

Post by Random Musings »

Braces at eight and 3 activities per child - just warming up.

At least for now, my school taxes are being utilized.

RM
I figure the odds be fifty-fifty I just might have something to say. FZ
Caduceus

Post by Caduceus »

Hmm, I think it depends on the child and the parents' expectations. I got much less expensive for my parents as I grew up. I worked three part-time jobs at college my junior and senior year and paid for everything myself.
Last edited by Caduceus on Sat Sep 12, 2015 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
interplanetjanet

Post by interplanetjanet »

This is a piece of a post I wrote a few years ago. I think it's still relevant.

What it "costs" to raise children, more than anything else, is time. If you see your hours as a way to make money, the opportunity cost of raising children will dwarf the direct monetary cost for most people.

Sometimes the tie between time spent with/on children and expenses is explicit, such as with childcare. Sometimes it is much more vague. Sometimes even the best of parents look at the time they're spending and are frustrated, but when it's worth it, it's really worth it. Children aren't a job, in the normal sense. You don't get to spend X hours a day and then say ok, we're done for now. You're tied to them, somehow, for as long as you have each other in your life.

Money spent raising children is different. You can spend as much or as little as you rationalize, and people do. For the most part, I don't think that makes one one-hundredth as much difference to their lives and how they grow up as spending time with them and being present in their lives does.

-Janet
Peter Foley

Post by Peter Foley »

I think it depends a lot on the parents' circumstances. Both my wife and I worked so day care was an expense. I remember that getting both kids potty trained resulted in a signficant drop in costs and getting them both enrolled in school was another drop in expenses. Teen and college years were expensive.

In the 1980's we had a single phone and the bill was a few dollars a month. When the kids were in the teens in the mid 1990's the phone bill and internet increased substantially.
goodenyou
Location: Skating to Where the Puck is Going to Be..or on the golf course

Post by goodenyou »

My professor once told me that "the first 30 years are the most difficult and expensive when raising children. He was absolutely correct.
jon-nyc

Post by jon-nyc »

goodenyou wrote:My professor once told me that "the first 30 years are the most difficult and expensive when raising children. He was absolutely correct.

My mother had a refrigerator magnet that said 'Parenthood - the first 40 years are the hardest'. As it happened she passed away 10 days before my 40th birthday.
Rodc

Post by Rodc »

livesoft wrote:
HomerJ wrote:Real bogleheads have their kids play volleyball... :)
… and they get a shoe contract, so they don't even have to pay for shoes. At least that's what my daughter's basketball team did.
Make it beach volleyball, all they need is shorts and for the girls a top and ready to go.
We live a world with knowledge of the future markets has less than one significant figure. And people will still and always demand answers to three significant digits.
beachplum

Post by beachplum »

tj wrote:
Not only that, it might inspire them to pick a more useful degree if they are on the hook.
My best friend's daughter took out loans/worked to attend NYU and majored in art history. She lives in NYC and supports herself (no she doesn't work retail or fast food --it's a professional job) and pays her loans. Usefulness is in the eye of the beholder
hiddensee

Post by hiddensee »

The primary utility of higher education is to purchase social status. However, this is a zero-sum, non-productive asset, much like investing in gold.
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

hiddensee wrote:The primary utility of higher education is to purchase social status. However, this is a zero-sum, non-productive asset, much like investing in gold.
I don't invest in gold. My family's investments in education are doing fine. :sharebeer
robolove

Post by robolove »

After reading this thread, I will tell the wife, "No to a 2nd child." Thanks for the ammo!

But, I`ll probably lose...
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

fareastwarriors wrote:You guys are awesome parents. I wish I could've done all the things you guys mentioned when I was growing up in the early 2000s...

In my childhood/teenage years, we didn't do any sports/activities. We watched TV and played videogames or played outside. It was fine. We had fun. Both parents worked all today. My grandpa watched us for a bit but by the time I was 10, there was no adult around. We cared for ourselves. There were no family vacations. My parents didn't get vacation time. The only time my brother and I get to travel was on school trips.

My parents didn't have a college fund for us. My brother used lots financial aid and attended community college and later transferred to a State. I was lucky enough to get a big scholarship along with financial aid to attend a private college.

I didn't realize this when I was growing up but now looking back now damn we were so poor then...
We were very into sports, but because we were all pretty athletically inclined (3 of us 5 received full college scholarships thanks to sports) we usually got a coach to pay for things. My single mother raised five kids as a medical assistant, not a single one of us got a penny for college; I actually helped her out financially through most of my undergrad and MS. We didn't feel poor, but I guess we were. My mom is now raising my two younger step-sisters (10 and 19); she is in a much different situation now but my little sisters are still required to find ways to subsidize their own activities, so they both run track (which is now paying for the 19yr old's college) and play soccer. Phones and cars, the older one was able to get a phone when she got a job and I bought her a nice commuter bike for high school graduation.

Most of the things discussed in this thread, honestly, I will not do for my daughter even though we are in a much different financial situation than both our parents were. We are still debating about whether to provide financial assistance with college as both of us got none and finished with no debt; she's only 2 (well, next week), so we have some time to figure it out.
SP-diceman

Post by SP-diceman »

swaption wrote:I have to laugh. Definitely not. I see the mention of figure skating expenses. I can check that box. For my other girl it was gymnastics and now dance. This won't be applicable to everyone, but throw in summer camp

Yeah, but isn’t this just a keeping up with the Joneses thing?
I don’t remember anyone growing up taking dancing, gymnastics, skating lessons or any of this stuff.

“Play” was in the yard , and if you were lucky, you had something that resembled a pool to go in.
(or at least a hose)

As you can probably guess, I don’t have kids.
Id probably be as guilty as anyone else, but the monster we’ve created is amazing.

Thanks
SP-diceman
Grateful1

Post by Grateful1 »

OP's question made me smile.
:happy No children do not beome less expensive as they grow up but the return on investment can be immense.

Enjoy your children every day. You can't love them too much, and time passes very quickly. Relax. Love does not mean giving them everyTHING they may want along the way. You are entrusted with meeting their needs but not all their future wants; and some of their wants would not even be good for them.

When my wife and I left the hospital with our first newborn the nurse handed the baby into the car smiled and said with sarcastic tone "have a nice 18 yrs", as she turned away and closed the car door; thump. As young new parents my wife and I looked at each other wide eyed as we simultaneously tried to comprehend 18 yrs of responsibility. We didn't even know how to change a diaper and we had to take care of this little creature for 18 yr! What were we thinking?!

Now 34 years later and having raised 3 wonderful children I can only say it has been a joy. Unlike what that snarky nurse said, it does not end at 18 yrs. You will always a parent, will always care about the children, and we would not want it any other way. We care about our grown children as much today as when they were little.

The "return on investment" in raising the babies has been incalculable .... joy along the way, a great relationship with them now as adults, pride in their many ongoing accomplishments, and now GRANDCHILDREN. Life goes on and is good. Enjoy your priceless little ones.
Last edited by Grateful1 on Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
papito23

Post by papito23 »

My kid costs almost nothing. Just 24/7 attention and care.

I take that back, the wife is not working... so the kid costs about $30K/ yr in foregone income (minus what would be a substantial tax increase).

So, yes, I expect my child to cost quite a bit less if we send her off to public school. FTR I love our current set-up. To make it better, the wife had time to develop her own business from home which to our great surprise took off like gangbusters. So maybe my child only costs $10K/yr? Hard to say. As long as I don't get an eviction notice, life is good :beer
A thing is right when it tends to preserve the integrity, stability, and beauty of the biotic community. It is wrong when it tends otherwise. -Aldo Leopold's Golden Rule of Ecology
Topic Author
jasper

Post by jasper »

thank you all for the replies

i figured this was wishful thinking, and that appears to be the case based on the feedback here

sometimes it is hard to see the forest through the trees. this website helps give great perspective!
jackpullo997

Post by jackpullo997 »

nisiprius wrote:The guitar. The amp. Even new guitar strings aren't cheap.
You can get a guitar and amp for $150.
Strings for $2
hiddensee

Post by hiddensee »

TomatoTomahto wrote:
hiddensee wrote:The primary utility of higher education is to purchase social status. However, this is a zero-sum, non-productive asset, much like investing in gold.
I don't invest in gold. My family's investments in education are doing fine. :sharebeer
An asset being zero-sum and non-productive doesn't mean no one wins individually, just no one wins on net. Doesn't apply so much for engineering, medicine, and, if at a few of the top places, law.
Qtman

Post by Qtman »

No they do not.
Don’t wear yourself out trying to get rich; be wise enough to control yourself. | Wealth can vanish in the wink of an eye. It can seem to grow wings and fly away | like an eagle. - King Solomon