How Often are you Reissued a Debit Card (BofA)

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
Zerosumgain

How Often are you Reissued a Debit Card (BofA)

Post by Zerosumgain »

Hello Bogleheads,

I am writing to find out how often some of you out there are issued new debit cards from your bank.

I personally bank with Bank of America, and it seems like at least 2x per year they reissue my debit card, which means that I have to re-link it all kinds of places where I pay my bills. I know that I could use a credit card or PayPal or other methods of connecting to some of my bill payers. But it's an inconvenience. Worst case scenario for me right now, I drive an electric car and to use the high speed chargers it requires your account to be linked to your debit or credit card. If I were out right now, I could in theory be screwed.

I am really thinking that I would be better off banking elsewhere. I live in the SF Bay Area, so I was thinking about Schwab. From what I remember, they don't charge ATM fees at ATM machines because they don't have many of their own. I very rarely go into a bank anymore.

Thank you
Last edited by Zerosumgain on Fri Feb 14, 2014 8:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
richard

Re: How Often are you Reissues a Debit Card (BofA)

Post by richard »

I just got a new ATM/debit card from Chase with a letter saying my they are sending a replacement because my present one will expire soon. The present one is set to expire in May 2015.
NoVa Lurker

Post by NoVa Lurker »

Got a new credit card in the mail from BofA last fall. The explanation was that my current card was set to expire on July 2015. The new card has an expiration date of.... July 2015.

As OP suggests, they re-issue them fairly frequently. It used to be a pain, but now we're used to it, so it only takes me a few minutes to log in everywhere and change the account/payment info. It's actually nice to block those auto-renewals that do not give you advance warning.
midareff

Post by midareff »

Ally ATM card .. they reimburse all fees.
pshonore

Post by pshonore »

I've had my current BOA debit card for about 3 yrs and it expires 6/16. Very seldom use it as a debit card, much more frequently as ATM. On the other hand my Fidelity Visa has been reissued twice in the past 24 months.
sscritic

Re: How Often are you Reissued a Debit Card (BofA)

Post by sscritic »

Reissue to me means a new card with the same number. When I get a reissued card, I don't have to go anywhere to change a reference. Now a new expiration date or a new account with a new number is a different matter. Recently, I tried to buy something on line at a webstore I don't use frequently. The stopped me mid-purchase to tell me my card had expired and asked me to supply the new one. It was pretty simple, and there was no need for me to go to the website and change the expiration date until the time I actually wanted to use it.

I guess if you auto-program the use of your card at multiple places, you would have to update the expiration date at all of them. I don't auto-program the use of my card for the most part, so I don't really run into this. Hmm, how will I know when it happens? Time Warner will cut off my internet access and I will no longer be able to post on bogleheads. Then I will call them, oh, but wait, they will have turned off my phone as well. That's a puzzlement.
Sheepdog

Post by Sheepdog »

My bank issues new debit cards when the card reaches it's expiration date...about every 3 years, I think, but it could be longer than that.
Unless you try to do something beyond what you have already mastered you will never grow. (Ralph Waldo Emerson)
TexasMu

Post by TexasMu »

I recently lost my wallet and had to get B of A to issue me a replacement debit card. Two days later a $5 fee showed up .. :annoyed
peppers

Post by peppers »

Three years.
When my wife's purse was stolen, the bank issued new cards, free of charge.
"..the cavalry ain't comin' kid, you're on your own..."
Clever_Username

Post by Clever_Username »

I've only had my BofA debit card reissued when it's about to expire. One of my CCs is in the process of being reissued; I think I used it at Target during that time and they're being overly cautious. I use it for auto-pay, but only for two things, so it will be a minor headache.
"What was true then is true now. Have a plan. Stick to it." -- XXXX, _Layer Cake_ | | I survived my first downturn and all I got was this signature line.