What credit cards do you recommend?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
Julieta

What credit cards do you recommend?

Post by Julieta »

I read some recent posts re: credit card offers. Have you discovered any new great offers this year and if so, what are they? If you have had any problems with them please share what they are and if you were able to resolve them.

Suggest that the Target card not be discussed here as there are other threads for it.

I learned about the Pen Fed gas card and applied for that one. If you have experience with it, can you share experience with that one too.
Keep It Simple
pennstater2005

Re: What credit cards do you recommend?

Post by pennstater2005 »

The Sallie Mae Rewards card. 5% on gas and groceries up to $250 per month each and 5% on eligible book purchases up to $750 each month. 1% on everything else. I use it for everything now.

https://www.salliemae.com/credit-cards/sallie-mae-card/
“If you think nobody cares if you're alive, try missing a couple of car payments.” – Earl Wilson
Topic Author
Julieta

Post by Julieta »

Is this card open to anyone?
Keep It Simple
TRC

Post by TRC »

Fidelity AmEx. 2% directly into our child's 529 account.
HoosierJim

Post by HoosierJim »

Just wondering in choosing a card... If you have to protest a charge due to vendor performance issues or tip changing, are some credit cards better than others (amex, mc, visa, discover etc)?

We have noticed a couple of TIP CHANGES on our bills in the last year. Good thing we keep the original. Never had a problem with disputes on Discover.
Johm221122

Post by Johm221122 »

I use Amazon Chase.3% Amazon and restraunts (if coded restraunt) 2% everything else.
John
tbradnc

Post by tbradnc »

1. Penfed Cash Rewards - 5% cash back on gasoline. Used only for gas.

2. Amex Blue Cash Preferred - 6% cash back on groceries. Used only for groceries and gift cards.

3. Fidelity Amex - 2% cash back on everything. Used for everything but gas and groceries.

4. Capital One Quicksilver, 1.5% back on everything used if Amex isn't accepted (see #3).

The Capital One card doesn't get much use - seems most places now accept Amex.
Last edited by tbradnc on Fri Jan 31, 2014 6:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
midareff

Post by midareff »

AX Blue Cash Preferred for 6% back on groceries, PenFed 5% back on gas, Fido AX 2% for everything else, Fido Visa for 1.5% back everywhere they don't take AX. .. like dentists, Chinese Restaurants, etc.
Last edited by midareff on Fri Jan 31, 2014 6:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
midareff

Post by midareff »

tbradnc wrote:1. Penfed Cash Rewards - 5% cash back on gasoline. Used only for gas.

2. Amex Blue Cash Preferred - 6% cash back on groceries. Used only for groceries and gift cards.

3. Fidelity Amex - 2% cash back on everything, deposited into Fidelity CMA. Used for everything but gas and groceries.

4. Capital One Quicksilver, 1.5% back on everything used if Amex isn't accepted (see #3).

+1 except swap the Fidelity Visa @ 1.5% for the Capital One Card.
tbradnc

Post by tbradnc »

midareff wrote:
tbradnc wrote:1. Penfed Cash Rewards - 5% cash back on gasoline. Used only for gas.

3. Fidelity Amex - 2% cash back on everything, deposited into Fidelity CMA. Used for everything but gas and groceries.

I like your system better - doesn't the Fidelity Visa kick up to 2% after $15k in charges? Had I known that I would have went for that card instead of the Quicksilver. Though I must say the Capital One website is several orders of magnitude better than FIA Cardservices.
pennstater2005

Post by pennstater2005 »

Julieta wrote:Is this card open to anyone?
I believe it is.
“If you think nobody cares if you're alive, try missing a couple of car payments.” – Earl Wilson
JamesSFO

Post by JamesSFO »

108 page long thread at Fat Wallet on this, there's a good summary towards the top: http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/finance/711457/

I personally highly recommend the Fidelity Cash Back Amex 2% back on everything deposited monthly into a Fidelity account. (Or the Visa 1.5% on first ~$14-15K and then 2% thereafter)
sscritic

Post by sscritic »

One they accept at In-N-Out and Island Pacific Supermarket, which rules out any American Express card (real or affiliate).
JamesSFO

Post by JamesSFO »

sscritic wrote:One they accept at In-N-Out and Island Pacific Supermarket, which rules out any American Express card (real or affiliate).
Personally, I would do either PenFed Visa (5/3/1* card, devalued by 18% on redemption for gas, groceries, everything else) or Fidelity Visa (1.5%) then as a second card to go w/ the Fido Amex...
midareff

Post by midareff »

tbradnc wrote:
midareff wrote:

I like your system better - doesn't the Fidelity Visa kick up to 2% after $15k in charges? Had I known that I would have went for that card instead of the Quicksilver. Though I must say the Capital One website is several orders of magnitude better than FIA Cardservices.
I believe that to be correct although I use the AX for everything except gas and groceries so I don't approach $15K on the Visa in any one year. Both my FIDO AX and Visa are set for autopay and auto redeem so I only deal with the website to verify charges and download statements. Both of those are more than easy enough.
Quidnam

Post by Quidnam »

Johm221122 wrote:I use Amazon Chase.3% Amazon and restraunts (if coded restraunt) 2% everything else.
Are your terms grandfathered somehow? Looking at the web site for the card, I'm seeing 3% for Amazon, 2% for gas stations, restaurants, and drugstores, and 1% for all other purchases.
technovelist

Post by technovelist »

Julieta wrote:I read some recent posts re: credit card offers. Have you discovered any new great offers this year and if so, what are they? If you have had any problems with them please share what they are and if you were able to resolve them.

Suggest that the Target card not be discussed here as there are other threads for it.

I learned about the Pen Fed gas card and applied for that one. If you have experience with it, can you share experience with that one too.
What are you looking for in rewards: cash only or other options? Citibank has an AAdvantage Platinum card that has a 50K American Airlines miles bonus after $3k spending in 3 months along with other benefits like one free bag, group 1 boarding, 10% back on redeemed miles, and reduced mileage awards, with no fee for the first year ($95 after that, I believe). My wife and I each signed up for one.
In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, they often differ.
jeff1949

Post by jeff1949 »

My personal favorites:

Priceline Visa Card: 2% (5% back on travel through Priceline)
Costco AmEx Business Card: 4% on gasoline and 1% at Costco
JamesSFO

Post by JamesSFO »

jeff1949 wrote:My personal favorites:

Priceline visa 2% is no more for new members, see FatWallet
1-5% - Priceline Rewards Visa - 2% CashBack on everything. 5% when you name your own price on Priceline.com. $25/2500 point minimum to redeem points for statement credit. No annual fee. [link] [FW thread] 2% DEAD for new customers. now 1% Cash Back, 5% Priceline NYOP
jeff1949

Post by jeff1949 »

JamesSFO wrote:
jeff1949 wrote:My personal favorites:

Priceline visa 2% is no more for new members, see FatWallet
1-5% - Priceline Rewards Visa - 2% CashBack on everything. 5% when you name your own price on Priceline.com. $25/2500 point minimum to redeem points for statement credit. No annual fee. [link] [FW thread] 2% DEAD for new customers. now 1% Cash Back, 5% Priceline NYOP
Thanks for the "head's up". I did not know that. I was wondering why no one ever recommended it anymore. :oops:
mikep

Post by mikep »

Fidelity Amex 2% as others suggested - no Fidelity account needed, can get 2% back as a statement credit once $250 in rewards accumulated (12.5K in purchases)

Amazon visa 3% on amazon, 2% restaurants. Don't use for electronics since this visa does not have an extended warranty / not visa signature

Cap one quicksilver visa 1.5% as default backup card for none of the above.
JamesSFO

Post by JamesSFO »

jeff1949 wrote: Thanks for the "head's up". I did not know that. I was wondering why no one ever recommended it anymore. :oops:
With all due respect to the posters here, the Fatwallet folks tend to focus on this more and there is a dedicated 108 page thread to tracking credit card offers.
kerplunk

Post by kerplunk »

"Discover it" card

5% back on select categories every quarter
1% off everything
FREE monthly FICO score from TransUnion
Riceman

Post by Riceman »

I live overseas, so I put an emphasis on no foreign transaction fee. 1, 2, 3, all have none, and 4 is only used for (obviously) purchases originating in the U.S.

1) Capital One Quicksilver Visa - Never approach 15k spending on it, so going to 2x points doesn't matter

2) Marriot Rewards - The points themselves are worth less than 1%. But this card has amazing sign up bonuses (50k points, 1 free night at a marriot up to a ~200USD value). It has an authentication chip (doubt it's needed, but I have no other card with one). You become an automatic marriot silver elite member and get bonus nights towards permanent elite status. And every year, for an 85$ annual fee, you get one night free stay at a level 1-5 marriot hotel. Level 5's normally cost around 200 dollars a night, so the math works. We use it to stay in the great marriot courtyard in downtown hongkong, and with the elite status, the room comes with a free upgrade and buffet breakfast.

3) PenFed Travel Rewards: Right now it earns 5% points on airlines (worth 4.2 cents each). Airline tickets are always my biggest purchases using a credit card. Unfortunately, many of the smaller airlines that we tend to frequent don't accept American Express. Were we in the U.S., this would be much more useful.

4) Amazon Visa (all amazon purchases)
winglessangel31

Post by winglessangel31 »

My and many others' belief: a credit card is a tool. Depending on how much fixin' and makin' you plan on doin', getting a specialized tool may or may not make sense. Understand that all "monthly limits" and "yearly limits" below are in terms of how much you can spend to earn at the cashback rate, not how much cashback you can earn at that rate. No part of this analysis takes into account new account bonuses. I also make the clear decision not to misuse business cards, so they won't be mentioned here.

The toolset that one can't really argue with:
  1. The duct tape / multitool (decent for all random stuff, never the best) -- the Fidelity cards (2% AMEX or 1.5% Visa up to $15000 a year after which it is 2%), unless you don't want the money to be deposited into a taxable investment account with them, in which case the CapOne Quicksilver (1.5% Visa, emphasis to differentiate from the MC version that has fees, which is called the QuicksilverOne). All without annual fees.
  • The gas card -- PenFed Cash Rewards (5% Visa, emphasis to differentiate from the points version which is honestly not 5%), or SallieMae MC (5% up to a monthly limit of $250) if you don't pump that much. Both without annual fees. I never pump enough gas to max out the SallieMae MC limit, but I like to keep my PenFed Cash Rewards card active (really, obtained the card only to create a history with PenFed, to facilitate future low-interest loans).
  • The grocery card -- SallieMae MC (5% up to a monthly limit of $250 -> pseudo-yearly limit of $3000) if you don't buy that much. If you spend more, add on the AMEX Blue Cash Everyday (3% up to a yearly limit of $6000, no fee). An alternative tool is the AMEX Blue Cash Preferred (6% up to a yearly limit of $6000, $75 annual fee). Let's compare! SallieMae MC plus the AMEX BCE gives you a max of 5% * $3000 + 3% * $6000 = $330 a year. The AMEX BCP gives you a max of 6% * $6000 - $75 = $295 a year. Why would anyone want the latter then? Well, that's one fewer card, and a real yearly limit instead of a fudged one based on a monthly limit (perhaps you spend more some months and spend less some other months), and I did not mention the 3% cashback you get with the AMEX BCP for department stores (there might be better options for that category of spending anyway -- in the rotating category or in the unlisted store-specific cards).
  • The airline card -- PenFed Travel Rewards AMEX (5 points at 0.8 points-to-cash -> 4.2%, no fee). If you prefer an airline-specific card for the perks / special terms, sure, but your mileage may vary. Pun intended! :beer
The slightly-arguable toolset:
  • The magical rotating category / choose your own category card -- US Bank Cash+ (choose 2 categories out of a predefined list each quarter for 5%, Visa), Discover It (5% based on their quarterly categories, Discover), Chase Freedom (5% based on their quarterly categories, Visa), Citi Dividend (5% based on their quarterly categories, Visa). Unless you are ready to do a lot of keeping track every quarter, I'd pick the US Bank Cash+ and one other card from this list.
  • The restaurant/food card -- Without misusing business cards, the best you can get at first glance is 2% (a few of these cards). Some cards that offer rotating 5% categories each quarter have this at least one quarter each year. Discover It is much better than the competition for this. Why? Because when Discover says "restaurants", they explain here: https://www.discover.com/credit-cards/c ... endar.html (in the small print) that they also mean "full-service restaurants, cafes, cafeterias and fast food locations" (verified by personal experiences). For the other quarters I'd consider allocating one US Bank Cash+ category to restaurants and one other to fast food (workplace cafeterias sometimes code as fast food) depending on your spending habits. Maybe there's a better category for you.
The very-troublesome I-don't-know-how-to-place-this toolset:
  • The hotel card -- If you're someone who uses hotels very often, consider the Starwood Preferred Guest cards or the Hilton HHonors cards. SPG yields 2p--10p (p = points) on hotel spending. HHonors yields 6p or 9p on hotel spending. Some people value points at 2p = 1% cash, which is a very handy and handwavy calculation. HHonors has pointsback for other categories (gas, groceries, restaurants, et cetera, not forgetting the "everything else"), but I personally don't think any of those are better than what is listed above. If you prefer to consolidate cards and use few, perhaps this is an option. Bear in mind that these hotel-pointsback-to-cashback ratio is likely more than 1. These cards are probably gonna be the least broadly-relevant ones, so I'll round out the list here.
  • The store card -- Like I said, the hotel cards above will round out the list, so I won't mention any new cards here. Depending on where you shop, there will always be a "better option". If you shop at Amazon, you'd do much worse than the SallieMae MC (haha, already listed above so I didn't mention new cards) which gives you 5% up to a monthly limit of $750. That's the only plug I'll put in here.
END OF MESSAGE. 8-)
Last edited by winglessangel31 on Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Louis Winthorpe III

Post by Louis Winthorpe III »

winglessangel31 wrote:in which case the CapOne Quicksilver (1.5% Visa, emphasis to differentiate from the MC version that has fees).
You can get a no-fee Quicksilver card as either a Visa or a MC. There is a version of the card with an annual fee that is only offered as a MC, but that's not your only choice. I believe the annual fee version is called the Quicksilver One.
winglessangel31

Louis Winthorpe III wrote:
winglessangel31 wrote:in which case the CapOne Quicksilver (1.5% Visa, emphasis to differentiate from the MC version that has fees).
You can get a no-fee Quicksilver card as either a Visa or a MC. There is a version of the card with an annual fee that is only offered as a MC, but that's not your only choice. I believe the annual fee version is called the Quicksilver One.
You are correct about the name of the QuicksilverOne, but I can't find any mention that you can get the Quicksilver as an MC. Is that information current? :)
Tyrobi

Post by Tyrobi »

5% - Penfed Visa - Gas
3% - Amazon Visa - Amazon.com
2% - Fidelity AMEX - Everything else
1.5% - CapitalOne Quicksilver - Sam's Club and when Fidelity AMEX not accepted
Three-fund portfolio | "Simplicity is the master key to financial success." John C. Bogle
Johm221122

Post by Johm221122 »

Quidnam wrote:
Johm221122 wrote:I use Amazon Chase.3% Amazon and restraunts (if coded restraunt) 2% everything else.
Are your terms grandfathered somehow? Looking at the web site for the card, I'm seeing 3% for Amazon, 2% for gas stations, restaurants, and drugstores, and 1% for all other purchases.
Not sure, but I forgot they sent me email now 3% on gas but I don't open up links from email and didn't look it up because I don't buy gas(use public transportation)
John
G-Force

Post by G-Force »

Tyrobi wrote:5% - Penfed Visa - Gas
Isn't the quicksilver card a visa? I thought that SAMs club did not take visa credit cards.
Lon

Post by Lon »

I love Amazon and am quite happy with Amazon Visa, but use Capital One Visa when traveling abroad because of no foreign transaction fees.
Louis Winthorpe III

Post by Louis Winthorpe III »

winglessangel31 wrote:
You are correct about the name of the QuicksilverOne, but I can't find any mention that you can get the Quicksilver as an MC. Is that information current? :)
Hmmm. It may be the case that the MC is only available if you convert from an existing Capital One MC product. I had the Jimmy Fallon 1% plus 50% bonus card as a MC, and Capital One allowed me to upgrade it to a no-fee MC version of the Quicksilver. Maybe new account applications are all Visas.
stemikger

Post by stemikger »

Julieta wrote:I read some recent posts re: credit card offers. Have you discovered any new great offers this year and if so, what are they? If you have had any problems with them please share what they are and if you were able to resolve them.

I didn't read the other replies, but if you have excellent credit like I'm sure many here do, the sky is the limit. All it takes is a google search and an online application. Last year, I got one from Capital One for 0% interest rate on purchases and transfers for 18 months. When that expires, I plan to look for another offer like that, last month I did a search and saw Citicard had a similar offer. My credit is excellent, I think the last time I checked it was 780, so I'm able to take advantage of those offers.

In the credit card industry, I'm known as a deadbeat. I haven't paid interest on a credit card in years. Normally, I would hate to be called a deadbeat, but I like beating them at their own game.
Choose Simplicity ~ Stay the Course!! ~ Press on Regardless!!!
Tyrobi

Post by Tyrobi »

G-Force wrote:
Tyrobi wrote:5% - Penfed Visa - Gas
Isn't the quicksilver card a visa? I thought that SAMs club did not take visa credit cards.
It's a MC.
Three-fund portfolio | "Simplicity is the master key to financial success." John C. Bogle
travellight

Post by travellight »

I think Chase ultimate rewards is the best rewards system, so a Chase card with 50k bonus miles is the best gig for me. Chase can transfer 1:1 for Southwest miles or Marriott points to create a reward, or you can get cash back in a most favorable ratio.
Fletch

Post by Fletch »

I'm personally more into excellent customer service and minimal number of cards than saving the last few pennies. So, Costco AMEX (3-2-1 cash back) for most purchases and a local bank VISA at 1% cash back for the rest.
island

Post by island »

I'm looking to replace a credit card and many mentioned the Amex Blue Preferred for the 6% grocery discount. Sounded good, but everything I can find shows that card has a $75 annual fee. What about the other cards mentioned? You think it's worth using cards with fees?
Thanks.
winglessangel31

island wrote:I'm looking to replace a credit card and many mentioned the Amex Blue Preferred for the 6% grocery discount. Sounded good, but everything I can find shows that card has a $75 annual fee. What about the other cards mentioned? You think it's worth using cards with fees?
Thanks.
There is a fee and that is it.
And *grumble grumble* why don't people read the entire thread? :oops:
winglessangel31 wrote:The grocery card -- SallieMae MC (5% up to a monthly limit of $250 -> pseudo-yearly limit of $3000) if you don't buy that much. If you spend more, add on the AMEX Blue Cash Everyday (3% up to a yearly limit of $6000, no fee). An alternative tool is the AMEX Blue Cash Preferred (6% up to a yearly limit of $6000, $75 annual fee). Let's compare! SallieMae MC plus the AMEX BCE gives you a max of 5% * $3000 + 3% * $6000 = $330 a year. The AMEX BCP gives you a max of 6% * $6000 - $75 = $295 a year. Why would anyone want the latter then? Well, that's one fewer card, and a real yearly limit instead of a fudged one based on a monthly limit (perhaps you spend more some months and spend less some other months), and I did not mention the 3% cashback you get with the AMEX BCP for department stores (there might be better options for that category of spending anyway -- in the rotating category or in the unlisted store-specific cards).
island

Post by island »

winglessangel31 wrote:
island wrote:I'm looking to replace a credit card and many mentioned the Amex Blue Preferred for the 6% grocery discount. Sounded good, but everything I can find shows that card has a $75 annual fee. What about the other cards mentioned? You think it's worth using cards with fees?
Thanks.
There is a fee and that is it.
And *grumble grumble* why don't people read the entire thread? :oops:
winglessangel31 wrote:The grocery card -- SallieMae MC (5% up to a monthly limit of $250 -> pseudo-yearly limit of $3000) if you don't buy that much. If you spend more, add on the AMEX Blue Cash Everyday (3% up to a yearly limit of $6000, no fee). An alternative tool is the AMEX Blue Cash Preferred (6% up to a yearly limit of $6000, $75 annual fee). Let's compare! SallieMae MC plus the AMEX BCE gives you a max of 5% * $3000 + 3% * $6000 = $330 a year. The AMEX BCP gives you a max of 6% * $6000 - $75 = $295 a year. Why would anyone want the latter then? Well, that's one fewer card, and a real yearly limit instead of a fudged one based on a monthly limit (perhaps you spend more some months and spend less some other months), and I did not mention the 3% cashback you get with the AMEX BCP for department stores (there might be better options for that category of spending anyway -- in the rotating category or in the unlisted store-specific cards).
I read the entire thread including your * grumble grumble* dare I say long winded post. :twisted: Did you ever consider I may have been looking for other opinions or suggestions for fee free cards?
FedGuy

Post by FedGuy »

island wrote:I read the entire thread including your * grumble grumble* dare I say long winded post.
I think he was commenting on Stemikger's "I didn't read the other replies." I, too, am perplexed by people who take the time to respond without taking the time to confirm that they're adding something that hasn't already been said.
topper1296

Post by topper1296 »

Many on here won't like it because of the annual fee, however I like my Chase Sapphire Preferred card. The rewards program is good and I do get complimented on it a lot since it is heavy and made of metal, but my favorite feature is when I call a real live human being answers the phone. There are NO annoying options to go through to get to a human being.
SmallSaver

Post by SmallSaver »

winglessangel31 wrote:
That info is current - I have one (Quicksilver MC). It is confusing though, as on the web page the Quicksilver One (fee) is listed as MC and the Quicksilver (no fee) is listed as Visa. I converted from a previous non-quicksilver card, so maybe that's how it happened. As long as they don't charge me a fee and I get the right rewards I've never bothered to call them up and work it out.
rbrown599

Post by rbrown599 »

SmallSaver wrote:
winglessangel31 wrote:
That info is current - I have one (Quicksilver MC). It is confusing though, as on the web page the Quicksilver One (fee) is listed as MC and the Quicksilver (no fee) is listed as Visa. I converted from a previous non-quicksilver card, so maybe that's how it happened. As long as they don't charge me a fee and I get the right rewards I've never bothered to call them up and work it out.
I recently started a thread on this topic: http://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtop ... st=1947162

From what I gather, the only difference between having the actual Quicksilver (and not the One with the AF) in MC and not Visa is that you are not eligible for the Visa Signature-specific perks. I, too, upgraded an existing card that happened to be a MC and it remained an MC.
SmallSaver

Post by SmallSaver »

Oh, there it is! Many of the Visa Signature benefits also come with the MC version - like double manufacturer warranty, rental car insurance, and the usual fraud protections. Don't know about free dining though.

Do note that for this, and my other CC (Amex BC preferred), the 24 hour roadside assistance actually means they will send out a service provider at a "pre-negotiated" rate, which they will then charge to your card. Still helpful to have them arrange it, and maybe cheaper, but it's not going to be free.
Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

Be careful with the Amex Blue Cash (non preferred). The rewards are extremely low until you spend $6500 in the calendar year. I used this in the past when I could put business expenses on it. A bunch of airline flights and hotels got me up there quickly. I looked on my January statement and percentages like 0.1% and 0.5% were showing up for purchases that in december were 1% and 5%.

One that I did not see mentioned is the Chase Subaru Mastercard. 3% towards certificates that can be used at Subaru dealers. I've got a Subaru, so can use it for parts, service or towards a car purchase. There's limits yearly, so read the most recent limits.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid
tj

Post by tj »

Thanks.

It obviously depends on how much you spend at groceries. They have a free version of the card that is 3% cashback at groceries.
tnbison

Post by tnbison »

Barclays world card. 2 miles per dollar spent. Can be on disount travel websites(expedia, travelocity, etc). 10% back on miles used(use @25,000 miles, get 2500 credited back). 40,000 mile sign up bonus.
American In Korea

Post by American In Korea »

tnbison wrote:Barclays world card. 2 miles per dollar spent. Can be on disount travel websites(expedia, travelocity, etc). 10% back on miles used(use @25,000 miles, get 2500 credited back). 40,000 mile sign up bonus.
This and the Preferred are still the Kings- unless you have some weird spending habit where the lion's share of your consumption is gas and groceries or Amazon shopping.

http://sett.com/minimalistwealth/creditcards2013

Only problem is having the credit score high enough to get approved- Barclay's is a lot easier to get approved for.
travellight

Post by travellight »

by Jack FFR1846 » Tue Feb 04, 2014 6:55 am

Be careful with the Amex Blue Cash (non preferred). The rewards are extremely low until you spend $6500 in the calendar year. I used this in the past when I could put business expenses on it. A bunch of airline flights and hotels got me up there quickly. I looked on my January statement and percentages like 0.1% and 0.5% were showing up for purchases that in december were 1% and 5%.
I completely agree. With that 6500 spend, I could have racked up 50k points on a new card. I dislike this card and am canceling it.
matto

Post by matto »

travellight wrote:
by Jack FFR1846 » Tue Feb 04, 2014 6:55 am

I completely agree. With that 6500 spend, I could have racked up 50k points on a new card. I dislike this card and am canceling it.
Are you sure this is still the case? I tried searching for it and almost everywhere it states that this was put in practice in 2011 but is no longer true.