If you lost a paper I-Bond, how do you get it replaced?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills

If you lost a paper I-Bond, how do you get it replaced?

Postby HenryPorter » Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:56 am

How should I fill out the lost bond form from the Department of Treasury? I think I may be missing a bond I bought in 2003, but have no way of knowing for sure until I have the fed do the research on it. Should I include every I-bond I have, w/ serial numbers and such, knowing they probably will re-issue all of them, or should I only just list the denominations ( I own $50, $75, $100, $200 I-bonds) nebulously, and hope that find the missing bond in the process, if one is missing? I just want them to let me know if I am missing a physical paper bond, and thus get that one re-issued, but the form is more involved than that. There is no place on the form that allows me to tell them that I think I have my bonds all accounted for but one might be missing and need help figuring out if that is the case.
HenryPorter

Re: If you lost a paper I-Bond, how do you get it replaced?

Postby Dutch » Tue Jan 21, 2014 5:46 pm

I think the form assumes that you actually know which bond you lost.

It sounds like your situation is more complicated. I would contact a rep and ask for some guidance.
Dutch

Postby dratkinson » Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:00 pm

Sounds like you need some way to record your paper bonds. Treasury Direct has two methods:

Down-loadable program: Savings Bond Wizard. (Stores your paper bond list on your PC.)

Online: Savings Bond Calculator. (Stores your paper bond list on you PC.)

Start here to access both: http://www.treasurydirect.gov/indiv/too ... wizard.htm

Besides listing your paper bonds, both can tell you the updated monthly value of your bonds. Good to know should you want to redeem one.

Can probably print a list from both methods even if it is only cut/paste/print. Keep an updated list of bonds with your paper bonds.

Could also just create/update a paper list kept with your bonds.

Problem solved.
d.r.a, not dr.a.
dratkinson

Postby Mel Lindauer » Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:22 pm

dratkinson wrote:Sounds like you need some way to record your paper bonds. Treasury Direct has two methods:

Down-loadable program: Savings Bond Wizard. (Stores your paper bond list on your PC.)

Online: Savings Bond Calculator. (Stores your paper bond list on you PC.)

Start here to access both: http://www.treasurydirect.gov/indiv/too ... wizard.htm

Besides listing your paper bonds, both can tell you the updated monthly value of your bonds. Good to know should you want to redeem one.

Can probably print a list from both methods even if it is only cut/paste/print. Keep an updated list of bonds with your paper bonds.

Could also just create/update a paper list kept with your bonds.

Problem solved.

You can print a list, including all the important details, directly from the Savings Bond Wizard. No need to cut and paste.
Best Regards - Mel | | Semper Fi
Mel Lindauer

Postby HenryPorter » Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:12 am

Dutch wrote:I think the form assumes that you actually know which bond you lost.

It sounds like your situation is more complicated. I would contact a rep and ask for some guidance.

Thanks. I assumed that the Treasury Dept. could just cross-reference my social security number and see a list of bonds I own. If it was that easy, right. Anyway, I think I will send in the form with just a list of bond denominations and little else. I have the physical bonds in hand. If they the re-issue bonds, I am OK with the delay from that. I am skeptical if I furnish every detail of the bonds I have, they might just use that list and possibly overlook any bond(s) that I theorize I might be missing. They would assume I have those accounted for simply because I did not list them as missing. In other words, they will look for a complete list of bonds under my SS# if all I give them is a generalized list of bond denominations.
HenryPorter

Return to Personal Finance (Not Investing)