What you wish you had known entering your late 20's

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
gouda

What you wish you had known entering your late 20's

Post by gouda »

Knowing what you know now, what do you wish you would've known entering your late 20's as it relates to personal finance, career, or personal life?

For a bit of background, 2014 marks my 4th anniversary of finding this forum after discovering Messrs. Larimore, Lindauer, et al.'s book in my graduate school's library. I've lurked here daily since then and have learned so much from you all.

Happy New Year to all! :sharebeer
davebo

Re: What you wish you had known entering your late 20's

Post by davebo »

A lot of people will say things like "I wished I would've started to save earlier" or whatever, but I knew that I should be saving early...it's just a lot harder when you don't have as much money!

I have learned this lesson now, but when I get an impulse to purchase something, I should wait a minimum of 1 week and see how I feel at that point.
Twins Fan

Post by Twins Fan »

Same here... would have started saving back then, or even earlier. Since the real me did not. I also made my share of impulse purchases back then, and think the one week wait rule would have been very wise.

Oh, and stay single... talk about RISK! :D
tyrion

Post by tyrion »

I would say that your late 20s and early 30s should be spent on maximizing your earning potential. Build your career. Not at the expense of your happiness or family, of course. But you can figure out investment strategy later. For now work on your economic engine and set aside a reasonable amount in tax deferred savings vehicles.
Methedras

Post by Methedras »

At age 27, I left my cushy, high-paying engineering job to return to school to get my Ph.D. and pursue an academic career.

To anyone considering any degree beyond a Masters, I would say that the nature of research work is significantly more interesting and intellectually stimulating, but it comes at a high financial cost. Don't expect to get rich if you pursue a Ph.D. (like I somewhat did.) :wink: It will, however, open up opportunities to live all over the world and travel a lot. This will probably pertain to a small subset of people, but it is more likely pertinent to those on Bogleheads than on your average message board.

Another piece of advice, and this is not related specifically to an academic career, but you should ALWAYS be looking for ways to grow your skill set. Many employers will pay for coursework/training, and may encourage you to spend at least a portion of your time on personal growth and experimental projects if you are a motivated employee. Don't allow yourself to stagnate in your personal growth. You will find people who constantly work on themselves appear to get lucky more often, but it is just the joining of preparation and opportunity.
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

Methedras wrote:At age 27, I left my cushy, high-paying engineering job to return to school to get my Ph.D. and pursue an academic career.

To anyone considering any degree beyond a Masters, I would say that the nature of research work is significantly more interesting and intellectually stimulating, but it comes at a high financial cost. Don't expect to get rich if you pursue a Ph.D. (like I somewhat did.) :wink: It will, however, open up opportunities to live all over the world and travel a lot. This will probably pertain to a small subset of people, but it is more likely pertinent to those on Bogleheads than on your average message board.

Another piece of advice, and this is not related specifically to an academic career, but you should ALWAYS be looking for ways to grow your skill set. Many employers will pay for coursework/training, and may encourage you to spend at least a portion of your time on personal growth and experimental projects if you are a motivated employee. Don't allow yourself to stagnate in your personal growth. You will find people who constantly work on themselves appear to get lucky more often, but it is just the joining of preparation and opportunity.
This is a great advice. I, too, was getting degrees, taking discrete courses, or working towards professional licenses and certifications since I remember myself. But the leaps I made in my late 20s were critical for the professional and financial successes that came later. I also found that it's much better to decide for yourself what you want to pursue and not just to follow what your employer recommends or what your colleagues do.

Victoria
Inventor of the Bogleheads Secret Handshake | Winner of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
MichDad

Post by MichDad »

Here's my quick list:

1. Take advantage of the power of compounding over decades.
2. Enjoy the benefits of dollar cost averaging.
3. Purchase low cost index funds -- such as Vanguard.
4. Create a very broadly diversified portfolio, including total US stock market, international stocks, emerging markets, small caps, and REITs.
5. Do not purchase individual stocks or sector funds (such as health care/energy/technology).
6. Try to max out your 401(k) and IRAs or at least make sure you take advantage of the full employer match on your 401(k) plan.
7. Limit debt to a home mortgage, if possible.
8. Always pay off your credit card bills in full each month. Set up auto withdrawals from your checking account.
9. Pay your bills on time and maintain a spotless credit record.
10. Make sure you and your spouse/partner have compatible savings/spending habits and goals.
11. Question your purchases. Do you really need it?
12. Do not purchase any whole life or variable insurance. Purchase term policies in amounts that make sense for your situation.
13. Hold on to your car for many years.
14. Don't be envious of those who appear to have a lot more. Chances are, they're not saving nearly as much as you are.

MichDad
Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors »

The six winning numbers.................... :greedy
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions
Twins Fan

Post by Twins Fan »

Ah, yes, a good reminder from MichDad... STAY OUT OF DEBT!!
nedsaid

Post by nedsaid »

It is hard to say. I avoided the big mistakes. Had great credit and little debt. Saved a lot. Had money in the bank as an emergency fund. I could have invested differently and perhaps better. I didn't make a lot of money in my twenties and I would like to have saved more but I don't think I really could have.

Looking back, I would say there is huge value in networking and knowing people. The old saying that it isn't what you know but who you know. That has probably been my biggest failing in my career. I did not effectively network and did not market myself as well as I should have.

When I was buying the EE bonds, they had a guarantee of 6%. I bought some but I kick myself for not having bought a lot more. These bonds are still paying 4%. When the I-Bonds came out and were paying 3% above inflation, I should have backed up the truck and bought. But I did not. Bought a very few. Didn't start buying them again until 2008. So I missed
out on an opportunity.

Instead of a Brokerage IRA and doing stock picking, I probably should have gone to Vanguard and indexed my money. But what I did worked out for me or at least worked well enough.

So I have individual stocks, ETFs based on indexes, load funds, mostly no-load funds and index funds, and a small variable annuity. So I did a lot of non-Boglehead things but it worked pretty well for me. What I have done is to limit my trading and kept my expenses fairly low. Not Boglehead low, but much lower expenses than most investors.

Along the way, I gained a whole lot of knowledge and I don't know how much I would have changed in regard to my investments. I did the best with what I had and with what I knew at the time. So I could probably have done better but I am not disappointed with how things have turned out so far.
A fool and his money are good for business.
tj

Post by tj »

I wouldn't do anything differently. I guess I wish that I would have chosen a more useful degree, but I've learned to live on less which is just fine for me.
frugaltype

Post by frugaltype »

Save money.

Enjoy your youthful energy and health before it vanishes :-)
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

tj wrote:I wouldn't do anything differently. I guess I wish that I would have chosen a more useful degree, but I've learned to live on less which is just fine for me.
First, I also read the OP as a question about doing something differently, but then I decided that it's not necessarily so. In some cases we don't know but our intuition and preferences put us on a right path. And then it's hard to say if we made obvious mistakes. Just being Boglehead Forum members is an indication that we are relatively successful. And therefore it's hard to speculate what we could have known and done differently. And so this thread is more about what worked for us than about what could have worked better if only we knew.

Victoria
Inventor of the Bogleheads Secret Handshake | Winner of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
dmcmahon

Post by dmcmahon »

I'd tell myself "find a wife before it's too late".
EternalOptimist

Post by EternalOptimist »

Always be thankful for what you have no matter how much or how little.
"When nothing goes right....go left"
joe8d

Post by joe8d »

Ah, yes, a good reminder from MichDad... STAY OUT OF DEBT!!
+1 That is most important.
All the Best, | Joe
RNJ

Post by RNJ »

How little I really knew.
retiredjg

Post by retiredjg »

gouda wrote:Knowing what you know now, what do you wish you would've known entering your late 20's as it relates to personal finance, career, or personal life?
The true cost of smoking cigarettes.
Mill

Post by Mill »

dmcmahon wrote:I'd tell myself "find a wife before it's too late".
definitely!
TexasPenny

Post by TexasPenny »

I would say even if you're making very little, put something aside into an IRA or 401k, even if it's $50.00 per paycheck. If you start this with your first paycheck you'll never miss it. Every so often (or at least every raise) bump it up a bit.
goblue100

Post by goblue100 »

retiredjg wrote: The true cost of smoking cigarettes.
Yeah, I sure wish I had quit 20 years sooner than I did. My own advice to myself would have been to be more confident and not be so afraid of making a mistake in my career or life. I'm sure many people wish they had been more cautious or conservative, so there you go.
"Confusion has its cost" - Crosby, Stills and Nash
Frobie

Post by Frobie »

The 30s will go by faster than you thought possible. Come to think of it, that's just like the (my?) 20s.

Definitely save and invest and think about the future, but also don't be afraid to enjoy life now. There has to be a balance.

Be sure to tell your parents, siblings, and/or others you might be close to how much you love them.
I have learned that success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has had to overcome while trying to succeed. --Booker T. Washington
cfs

Post by cfs »

I joined the United States Navy in my early 20s, and stayed on active duty for almost 31 years. To be a Sailor in the United States is the BEST job on this planet. It was an honor to work with our best men and women. Without reservations I can say that if I was born again, and had to do it all over, I would not change a thing.
~ Member of the Active Retired Force since 2014 ~
jon-nyc

Post by jon-nyc »

What do I wish I knew in my late 20s?

1) that the Nasdaq would hit 5000 in early 2000 and be at 1600 18 months later. I could have made some real bank on that.

2) that Enron would rise substantial as the Nasdaq tanked, and then make a beeline to zero in the fall of 2000. That could have helped fund my short position in QQQ for 6 months, then I could have shorted Enron as well.

There's plenty more I would have wanted to know. But those two facts there would have covered me for life.

:happy

In seriousness, not much to add to the above. I would stress forming good habits early and not deviating from them just because you have time to recover. Oh, and marry well - I don't mean marry a millionaire, (though that's cool too), rather marry someone with LBYM in his/her bones.
sscritic

Post by sscritic »

I had my first child in my late 20s. I wouldn't change a thing. However, I wish I had known more about being a good husband. I never did catch on until it was too late.
tbradnc

Post by tbradnc »

sscritic wrote:I had my first child in my late 20s. I wouldn't change a thing.
Same here. We kept waiting until 'we could afford to have children' and it eventually dawned on us that we'd never be able to afford to have kids - so we went ahead and had 3. :)

So far, so good. Mostly grown and 1 more left in the nest. Daughter got engaged Christmas Eve.
investingdad

Post by investingdad »

I guess I'm one of the very fortunate few who wouldn't do much of anything differently. I had the save and invest epiphany when I was 22 and have stuck to it ever since. The only thing I regret is the location of our first house, which we sold a few years ago.
DouglasDoug

Post by DouglasDoug »

That life is short, really, really short.
goodenoughinvestor

Post by goodenoughinvestor »

Career: If you work for a corporation, know now that seniority may very well work against you. Your 50s and early 60s are unlikely to be your peak earning years. In fact, you are more likely to lose your job than are younger employees. So plan your career/finances accordingly. Assume that at some point after your hair starts graying and/or thinning you will have to switch to a different employment structure or embrace a second career. Anticipate this when you are younger so you can be proactive should it occur.

Personal life: Realize that troubled and troublesome people become more so as they age, unless they are willing to accept and receive help. For example, the difficult parent is unlikely to be less of a burden once elderly. And, the potential mate who seems charmingly or fetchingly high-drama or eccentric in his or her 20s is likely to be "insane" by the time he or she hits 50.

Parenthood: Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good. Accept that neither you nor your partner will be as great a parent as you hope/wish to be and your kids will not realize your view of their potential in all life areas. Have high standards but retain a sense of humor about the demands you make on yourself and your kids. Enjoy each other.
TSR

Post by TSR »

Do not succumb to the idea that you "ought to" own a home because you are now an adult and "adults own homes." This is one of the most important purchases you will ever make. Make it based on your need and ability to own a home. Do you NEED or even WANT to be locked into living somewhere for at least five years (but preferably more)? Can you ACTUALLY afford it, as opposed to just being told by someone who sells real estate or mortgages that you can afford it? I purchased a home when the correct answer to all of those questions was no, but I perceived it to be yes just because I liked home ownership as a concept. That mistake still haunts me.
jpkuva

Post by jpkuva »

I won't reiterate the good advice others have offered or try to exhaust all advice. One item I will add is to make sure you have goals set. Ensure you have financial goals, career goals, continuing education goals, personal goals, etc. Be purposeful and thoughtful in your decisions. My favorite saying is "If you don't know where you're going any road will take you there". Frankly, this is advice that will serve you at any age.
Christine_NM

Post by Christine_NM »

The world has changed so much in the 40+ years since my late 20's that there are few specific bits of knowledge that still are relevant. Just, have a marketable skill set and an emergency fund. That's all I knew, and that's all I needed. Investing was still in my future (mid 30's). Debt was not such a problem then as it is today, so all I'd add for today is "stay out of unnecessary debt".
16% cash 49% stock 35% bond. Retired, w/d rate 2.5%
HomerJ

Post by HomerJ »

Here are a few things I would tell all 20-somethings...

(1) Every promotion, every raise - save at least half of it. If you get a 10% raise due to a promotion, increase your savings by 5% of your salary.

(2) Don't spend too much on a house or a car. Control yourself when purchasing these two big-ticket items, and you can waste money on a lot of small stuff without hurting your financial situation.

(3) Recognize when you have "enough". Do not keep upgrading your lifestyle just because you can. Do not trap yourself with high expenses.
PaddyMac

Post by PaddyMac »

I agree that you should focus on your career, networking, and so on, at this point. That will set you up for good earnings ahead. But don't focus so much on your career that you fail to spend time investing well.

I wish the internet was available to us when we started saving at 30; we would have avoided a lot of mistakes with financial advisor selling us variable annuity etc. Took ten years before we took charge of our own investments (because we were so busy working...).

I wish we had focused more/earlier on creating products that earn royalties (i.e., "earn money while you sleep"). We didn't figure that out until we were 40.
frugaltype

Post by frugaltype »

+1 different gender, though :-)
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

frugaltype wrote:
+1 different gender, though :-)
The two of you should talk.

Victoria
WhyNotUs

Post by WhyNotUs »

I wish I had known:
1.) Not to look for financial home runs, leveraged investing, or timing the market to any significant extent.
I was/am not smarter than any other investor (at best).
Index + time works fine.
2.) Children are fabulous and costly.
3.) Divorce is the single most expensive thing that I will ever do, not the sailboats, trips around the world, or surfing adventures.

Even then I knew that debt was no bueno and to stick with value cars and modest home.
I own the next hot stock- VTSAX
coacher

Post by coacher »

That you can guide your kids up to a point but at the end of the day they will make their own decisions and need to be held accountable for them.
sambb

Post by sambb »

Pick the right spouse
Be the good guy at work who gets along with everyone
Learn etiquette, elegance, and loyalty
Stop wasting time
Before spending more than $250 on anything, take a step back for a day or two and think about it
Work out, eat right, sleep right
Kircheis

Post by Kircheis »

I wish I had known about the Roth IRA in my 20's when I had a resident's income.
MP173

Post by MP173 »

Greatness seldom occurs unless you step out of your comfort zone.

Ed
HomerSector7G

Post by HomerSector7G »

Collect life experiences and friends, not things. You will treasure memories and people much more than watches, cars etc.
joe8d

Post by joe8d »

goodenoughinvestor wrote:Career: If you work for a corporation, know now that seniority may very well work against you. Your 50s and early 60s are unlikely to be your peak earning years. In fact, you are more likely to lose your job than are younger employees. So plan your career/finances accordingly. Assume that at some point after your hair starts graying and/or thinning you will have to switch to a different employment structure or embrace a second career. Anticipate this when you are younger so you can be proactive should it occur.

Personal life: Realize that troubled and troublesome people become more so as they age, unless they are willing to accept and receive help. For example, the difficult parent is unlikely to be less of a burden once elderly. And, the potential mate who seems charmingly or fetchingly high-drama or eccentric in his or her 20s is likely to be "insane" by the time he or she hits 50.

Parenthood: Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good. Accept that neither you nor your partner will be as great a parent as you hope/wish to be and your kids will not realize your view of their potential in all life areas. Have high standards but retain a sense of humor about the demands you make on yourself and your kids. Enjoy each other.
+1 Very sound advice.
All the Best, | Joe
vested1

Post by vested1 »

Not to marry that narcissistic witch. Set me back 15 years and managed to alienate one of my daughters. Oh for a time machine!
pmcgillicutty

Post by pmcgillicutty »

That I was in my prime! (With a Scottish burr.)
Texas hold em71

Post by Texas hold em71 »

Many of the things above...

That my metabolism was about to slow down and the days of eating everything I wanted and not exercising were ending.
travellight

Post by travellight »

If you marry, be very careful and selective. Avoid divorce at almost all costs.
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

vested1 wrote:Not to marry that narcissistic witch. Set me back 15 years and managed to alienate one of my daughters. Oh for a time machine!
It's a fair bet that the OP will not marry that specific narcissistic witch.

Victoria
stemikger

Post by stemikger »

I always used to say I should have started saving earlier, but now looking how the unexpected direction my life went, I am glad I lived life to the fullest when I was in my 20s and 30s. I hung out with a bunch of guys that had the time of our lives. We felt like we owned New York City and thinking back, it now feels like a dream. In my early married years, we were social butterflies and always had plans.

My social life is nowhere near as fun or exciting now and me and my wife have become homebodies for several different reasons. So I'm glad I didn't worry about adult things back then because it's hard to do those things in your 50s. And you really can't go back.

My dad died at 52 and I was in my early 20s. The only advice he gave me weeks before his death was to always be your own boss. I didn't agree with him then because I wanted the security of a steady paycheck. After all these years, I see how right he was. That kind of security is an illusion.

Looking back after all these years, the one thing I would have done differently is continue on the entrepreneurial path and never work for a company/firm like I have done for the past 25 years.
Choose Simplicity ~ Stay the Course!! ~ Press on Regardless!!!
PlayingLife

Post by PlayingLife »

I would have skipped that one summer of sharing a beach house with 18 people. $1800 for the summer and about $300 turned literally to liquid every weekend from May to September. While I'm on the same subject of alcohol and parties, I love my friends, but I would have avoided the bar parties more and met some additional friends who spent their weekends doing more productive, financially responsible things.