Boglehead related 2014 goals.

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills

Boglehead related 2014 goals.

Postby Jay69 » Mon Dec 23, 2013 10:30 am

It maybe a little to early to start a 2014 goals thread but after reading the regrets for 2013 post, http://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=128863 it got me to thinking about 2014 subjects/goals.

For one I would like to learn the ins and outs of the Affordable Care Act and how it can/may effect my accumulation phase, this was a nice start to that end http://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=128794
"Out of clutter, find simplicity” Albert Einstein
Jay69

Re: Boglehead related 2014 goals.

Postby bengal22 » Mon Dec 23, 2013 10:44 am

Since I don't have to worry about my stay the course portfolio properly allocated for the risk I can manage, my goal is to lower my golf score by eliminating my fade(slice) and improving my putting.
bengal22

Postby VictoriaF » Mon Dec 23, 2013 12:56 pm

My goal for 2014 is to retire. I have been post poning it for some time now and hope to have the guts to actually do it.

Victoria
Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
VictoriaF

Postby englishgirl » Mon Dec 23, 2013 1:14 pm

My financial goals:

1. Get business to profitability and earn lots of money!
2. Get 401k over my goal of X. This should be very doable, as I am not far off - maybe even in January or February.
3. Get overall retirement portfolio to goal of 2X. This one is harder. With some luck and diligent savings I hope to make it by the end of the year. [2X = 1/3 of my retirement "number".]
4. Spend less on lunches.
5. Take a vacation? I'm not sure if the budget allows for this yet. We'll see. Perhaps by September I'll have saved enough.

There are other non-financial goals. They are pretty much the same most years, though. Meditate more, do more yoga, run more, love more, eat better/less, stress less.
Sarah
englishgirl

Postby FNK » Mon Dec 23, 2013 1:15 pm

Sell one piece of real estate that I own.

Fix up another piece of real estate that I live in.
FNK

Postby Jay69 » Mon Dec 23, 2013 3:21 pm

VictoriaF wrote:My goal for 2014 is to retire. I have been post poning it for some time now and hope to have the guts to actually do it.

Victoria

How long have you been thinking about it? I get the feeling many rethink it a number of times and do the old push back!
Jay69

Postby VictoriaF » Mon Dec 23, 2013 3:25 pm

Jay69 wrote:
VictoriaF wrote:My goal for 2014 is to retire. I have been post poning it for some time now and hope to have the guts to actually do it.

Victoria

How long have you been thinking about it? I get the feeling many rethink it a number of times and do the old push back!

My earliest eligibility was in April 2013, and for a long time, I thought that I would retire as soon as I could. In April, I had some good reason to continue working until the end of the year. The end of the year is here, and I have successfully completed my "reason." Now, I have some minor reasons and I am trying to sort them out. None of them are "numbers," but rather vanity things.

Victoria
VictoriaF

Postby Jay69 » Mon Dec 23, 2013 3:33 pm

VictoriaF wrote:
Jay69 wrote:

Victoria

My earliest eligibility was in April 2013, and for a long time, I thought that I would retire as soon as I could. In April, I had some good reason to continue working until the end of the year. The end of the year is here, and I have successfully completed my "reason." Now, I have some minor reasons and I am trying to sort them out. None of them are "numbers," but rather vanity things.

Victoria

I have a good 12-15 working years left and as each year ticks away I keeping thinking of kicking the retiring can down the road. I will keep my number goal the same if not more aggressive however. Lucky enough to like what I do for now I guess, well most of the time anyway!
Jay69

Postby bigfun » Mon Dec 23, 2013 4:30 pm

My personal goal is to reflect on how the recession has changed me, good and bad, and to lessen my anxiety.

Our financial goals are to write our first IPS and increase his 403b contribution with our newly implemented low-cost plan. Look for bigfun in 2014! :)

My parents have decided to retire far away from the rest of the family, and this is sad but must be accepted, because they have carefully saved their own money (with Fidelity) and found a place they're happy with. My in-laws are invested with Edward Jones and are receptive to improving their plan as they embark on retirement (my husband has been dropping BH hints and they were well received), but we are not quite ready to sit down with them. I am grateful to the site for future help when the time comes.

Cheers and happy holidays to all and thank you for the wonderful community!
bigfun

Postby BanditKing » Mon Dec 23, 2013 4:42 pm

In my IPS, I have a section that I update annually with "short term goals" for the next 12 months or so. This is what I have in my 2014 goals:

1) Complete home refinance to 15 year fixed with paydown to get LTV below 80% (Completed 12/9/2013)
    2) Execute initial asset allocation (completed 12/19/2013).
    3) Maximize 401k ($17,500) and IRA/Roth ($5,500) contributions for 2014.
    4) Aggressively save/invest, being more frugal about unnecessary expenses.
    5) Execute document scanning and backup plan. Organize electronic and printed records. Offsite-store electronic archives (safe-deposit box).
    6) Complete painting and simple refresh of upper story of home, including light fixtures and shelving in bathrooms.
    7) New or gently-used furniture for living room and bedroom
    8) Replace front door, door frame and window as well as garage door and door frame
    9) Get estimates on driveway repair. Reseal if that is enough, take replacement into consideration
    10) Vacation Plan – Black Hills, SD or Lake Superior Circle Tour – Summer
    11) Vacation plan – Huntsville, AL – October 9-14
    12) Replace bed in camper
    13) Move/Upgrade propane system on camper
    14) Install solar system on camper
    15) Sell unwanted collectibles
    16) Get rid of old fish tank and other unneeded “junk”

How much is "Boglehead-related", but it' is all stuff with some financial impact I wanted to account for in budgeting
BanditKing

Postby peppers » Mon Dec 23, 2013 5:22 pm

My co-CEO at home has outlined the proposed expenditures for 2014

Replace the kitchen floor and appliances
Replace the first floor carpeting
Upgrade part of the current automotive fleet
Replace existing deck with a labyrinth that would confuse Harry Potter

As co-CEO and CFO I anticipate spirited negotiations at the first quarter meeting.
"..the cavalry ain't comin' kid, you're on your own..."
peppers

Postby DVMResident » Mon Dec 23, 2013 6:17 pm

(1) First kid will be born 2014!
(2) Keep my better half sane with new baby without using alcohol or caffeine
(3) Finish PhD/residency, AKA 25th grade
(4) Decide which job offer to take
(5) Start real job!
(5.1) Rent current home if taking job ~120 miles away
(6) Make zero enemies, but lots of friends at first real job :beer
(6.1) Learn quickly, be useful to others, and deliver high quality work
(7) Max a 401(k) or 403(b) for the first time
(8) Install attic ladder
(9) Simplify IPS for DW just in case I can't handle the investments
(10) Finish will
(11) Find time to sleep
DVMResident

Postby travellight » Mon Dec 23, 2013 7:08 pm

by peppers » Mon Dec 23, 2013 1:22 pm

My co-CEO at home has outlined the proposed expenditures for 2014

Replace the kitchen floor and appliances
Replace the first floor carpeting
Upgrade part of the current automotive fleet
Replace existing deck with a labyrinth that would confuse Harry Potter

As co-CEO and CFO I anticipate spirited negotiations at the first quarter meeting.

an extra x chromosome might be a tie breaker, peppers!
travellight

Postby cfs » Mon Dec 23, 2013 7:22 pm

Leaders, good morning/afternoon/evening.

Thanks for asking, I have plenty of goals for 2014, but this is related to bogleheading, I have simple goals, capital preservation, accounts consolidation, re-balance the SWAN and place everything in autopilot, also retiring before the Summer is part of my bogleheading goals.

Thanks for reading and have a Merry Christmas.
~ Muchas gracias for reading - Señor Fig | | Semper Fortis ~
cfs

Postby EternalOptimist » Mon Dec 23, 2013 7:30 pm

Victoria

Just do it, you could always go back ( though I doubt you would). I've been retired 2+ years and it keeps getting better. There's a good book "Feel the fear and do it anyway"----need I say more :?:
"When nothing goes right....go left"
EternalOptimist

Postby VictoriaF » Mon Dec 23, 2013 7:53 pm

EternalOptimist wrote:

Victoria

Just do it, you could always go back ( though I doubt you would). I've been retired 2+ years and it keeps getting better. There's a good book "Feel the fear and do it anyway"----need I say more :?:

I have just finished a large piece of work and would like to see if anybody gets interested in it. My fear is of regret that I will have checked out just as I was up to something big.

Victoria
VictoriaF

Postby EternalOptimist » Mon Dec 23, 2013 7:58 pm

VictoriaF wrote:
EternalOptimist wrote:

Victoria

I have just finished a large piece of work and would like to see if anybody gets interested in it. My fear is of regret that I will have checked out just as I was up to something big.

Victoria

OIC
"When nothing goes right....go left"
EternalOptimist

Postby camper » Tue Dec 24, 2013 9:36 am

Our goal for 2014 is to increase our savings rate. It was roughly 23% in 2013. We would like to get it closer to 30%.
"I emphasize three main principles: first, to not be too greedy; second, to diversify as widely as possible; and third, to always be wary of the investment industry." William J. Bernstein
camper

Postby manwithnoname » Wed Dec 25, 2013 4:57 pm

1. visit foreign counties such as Italy and France. Return to Hawaii to see Volcano National park.

2. increase my income in the 28% bracket by cashing in gains of last 2 years while lowering my effective tax rate to 4% to pay for my vacations.

3. refrain from responding to all the silly posts on why one investment strategy is proven to be better/worse than another by noting that all metrics on investment performance are relative to the period measured and how performance is measured. This will allow me to spend more time on activities that actually help people.
manwithnoname

Return to Personal Finance (Not Investing)