Target Credit/Debit Card Hacks - what to do?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
Delayed Gratification

Target Credit/Debit Card Hacks - what to do?

Post by Delayed Gratification »

Hi all, how are people reacting to the recent Target hacking? Anyone going to request a new debit or credit card?

We shop there ALL THE TIME! Of course I'll be monitoring our accounts, but is anyone else been through this with another business?

thanks for any tips,
DG
jon-nyc

Re: Target Credit/Debit Card Hacks - what to do?

Post by jon-nyc »

I shopped there once during the period in question. I put an alert on my credit card so I get notified now whenever there's a charge. I'd catch any fraud on the same day.

If they had my debit card, I'd cancel it for sure.
Topic Author
Delayed Gratification

Hi Jon,

It is our debit cards (don't use credit cards often), which is what has me the most concerned. Any other opinions?
davebarnes

Not worried at all

Post by davebarnes »

I have zero concerns because the only card I use at Target is their RED Card.
The 5% discount makes it worthwhile.
I always run a tiny balance in my favor so I never pay interest.
A nerd living in Denver
jon-nyc

Post by jon-nyc »

Delayed Gratification wrote:Hi Jon,

It is our debit cards (don't use credit cards often), which is what has me the most concerned.

Ouch. A year ago I had my credit card number stolen and the thieves made a copy of the card. I didn't notice anything amiss until they had racked up $2400 in charges. I resolved then never to use my debit card except for the ATM.

By odd coincidence, all 2400 in fraudulent charges were made at Target stores in NJ.
MnD

Post by MnD »

i don't worry about it.
There are gazillions of credit card numbers on the Internet for sale.
A small percentage of them will be purchased by small-time criminals who will attempt fraudulent charges on them either on-line or by cloning physical cards.

Usually the credit card fraud department detects it much sooner than you will and will give you a call.
Criminals are stupid and make predictable and readily identifiable patterns of purchases compared to what you do.
The risk is on the card issuer, not you the card holder.

In 30 years I've had three cards hacked and one physically stolen.
Two were shut down on first attempted fraudulent purchase with nothing purchased.
One had $200 in charges made before fraud pattern detection.
One had a $55 tank of gas purchased before the dummies tried to fill up another car at the same station in a bad neighborhood and the card was shut down.
Considering how much card commerce we've done in 30 years, $255 in "successful" criminal gains is not exactly crime of the century.
It still sucks but I don't think it warrants any drastic measures.

I use only credit cards mainly for the rewards and purchase and cash flow management, but the fact it's not my bank account the crooks are pulling funds from is a secondary benefit.
70/30 AA for life, Global market cap equity. Rebalance if fixed income <25% or >35%. Weighted ER< .10%. 5% of annual portfolio balance SWR, Proportional (to AA) withdrawals.
nordlead

Post by nordlead »

All my CC's have been $0 liability since I got them (over 12 years now). I just keep an eye on them. I now I use mint.com, so I would know within a week if they were used.

Honestly I don't care if someone steals my CC. I care if people steal my identity though as that will be more than a 30 minute hassle to resolve.

I won't use a debit card though as I'd rather not have my bank funds frozen while everything gets sorted out.

Edit: the only proactive thing you can do is ask for a new card number.
Topic Author
Delayed Gratification

Appreciate the replies. Since mine was a debit card, I'm going to call Wells Fargo and request a new number for our debit cards. It seems like the likelihood for us to be one of the 40 million is low, but I'm going to play it cautious. If it was a credit card it'd be different.

Thanks again, DG
mojave

Post by mojave »

We're getting new cards just to be safe.
webslinger

Post by webslinger »

DG
You should immediately change the PIN on your debit card. This should be a simple on line process. My understanding of the data breach is that account and PIN numbers were compromised for debit cards. Your bank (financial institution) will be ale to tell you whether a change in account number is also warranted (this could be a minor inconvenience if a checking account).
Good luck!
Webslinger
Taylor Larimore

What to do.

Post by Taylor Larimore »

Bogleheads:

I read this on NBC.com:
The (Target) company said that customers who made purchases at its U.S. stores during the three weeks (Nov. 27 through Dec. 15) should call them at 866-852-8680, or seek copies of their credit reports from the agencies Equifax, Experian and TransUnion.
Happy Holiday!
Taylor
"Simplicity is the master key to financial success." -- Jack Bogle
sunnyday

Post by sunnyday »

Target said the pins weren't compromised but I still think it's a good idea to get new card numbers just incase
Drew31

Re: Not worried at all

Post by Drew31 »

davebarnes wrote:I have zero concerns because the only card I use at Target is their RED Card.

And just in case there are others with concerns, I spoke to customer service today who confirmed to me the RED Card Debit card was not a part of the breach. I did not specifically ask about the RED Card Credit since I do not have one, but I assume these to be fine as well as the agent stated it was 3rd party credit/debit cards.

You also receive free shipping on all online orders in addition to the 5%.
BigFoot48

Post by BigFoot48 »

We made one purchase during the period using our BofA credit card. Considering there were 40 million numbers stolen I think the odds of our data being used in a credit card transaction to be extremely small, and if it were I would just report it/dispute it to BofA and have the fraudulent charge removed. I see no value in getting a credit report at this point for this event, does anyone?
Last edited by BigFoot48 on Sat Dec 21, 2013 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Retired | Two-time in top-10 in Bogleheads S&P500 contest; 18-time loser
Rainier

Post by Rainier »

The media loves it when lots of cards are stolen. I'd be more worried if 100 were stolen and mine was one.

I'd also be more worried if it was a debit card, especially if it was a pin transaction.
joe8d

Re: Not worried at all

Post by joe8d »

Drew31 wrote:
davebarnes wrote:I have zero concerns because the only card I use at Target is their RED Card.

And just in case there are others with concerns, I spoke to customer service today who confirmed to me the RED Card Debit card was not a part of the breach. I did not specifically ask about the RED Card Credit since I do not have one, but I assume these to be fine as well as the agent stated it was 3rd party credit/debit cards.

You also receive free shipping on all online orders in addition to the 5%.
Thanks for the info, Drew. I only have and use the RED Debit Card.
All the Best, | Joe
zerlegen

Post by zerlegen »

I used my debit card as well. I called my bank today (Capital One 360) and was told that PINs were not compromised (though I did a credit, not debit transaction). I'm not replacing my card yet, but will keep an eye on my account for awhile.
Drew31

Post by Drew31 »

I'm a little confused as now I've read reports Target's RED Cards were affected, which obviously contradicts what I was told by customer service. My theory (at the moment) is that hackers have my red card number, but don't have the pin (or 3 digit code on back). Since, you can't use a target red card debit at any other store, and you need the pin to use the card at the store or 3 digit security code to use online, my card info doesn't seem to have much value with what they have. Perhaps that is message I was being communicated by customer service.

This seems to mean that Target credit cards would be compromised.

Still strongly considering closing my debit card anyway.
yatesd

Post by yatesd »

I would switch to Walmart since they tend to have lower prices...

"We want to be a penny higher than Wal-Mart," Target CEO Gregg Steinhafel following an Economic Club of Minnesota event in April. "So, if they have bananas for 48 cents, we want to have bananas for 49 cents. If it's a $10 item, the difference might be a nickel."

To me this is the opposite strategy of Vanguard and unfortunately Target isn't just a penny more expensive.

My personal information was potentially accessed from two major hacks (Sony PS3 and Adobe (just within the last month or so)). In both cases, the companies provided free credit reporting for a year. Hopefully Target will step up and do the same.
nordlead

Post by nordlead »

yatesd wrote:I would switch to Walmart since they tend to have lower prices...

"We want to be a penny higher than Wal-Mart," Target CEO Gregg Steinhafel following an Economic Club of Minnesota event in April. "So, if they have bananas for 48 cents, we want to have bananas for 49 cents. If it's a $10 item, the difference might be a nickel."

To me this is the opposite strategy of Vanguard and unfortunately Target isn't just a penny more expensive.

My personal information was potentially accessed from two major hacks (Sony PS3 and Adobe (just within the last month or so)). In both cases, the companies provided free credit reporting for a year. Hopefully Target will step up and do the same.
you may pay a few pennies more at Target than walmart, but at least they have people who work the cash registers. Unlike every walmart in my area with lines 10 people deep.
Esther

Post by Esther »

I seldom shop at Target and do not have their credit card. However our Discover card was recently comprised for purchases (one at Home Depot which we did not make). Fortunately Discover caught 2 purchases that appeared not to be mine. They immediately canceled my card and new cards were issued. I am dismayed at the ease with which hackers are able to access credit card info.
Pale Horse

Post by Pale Horse »

I'm not familiar with how the process works, but since card and pin information was compromised would the new pin and chip card technology be at risk as well?
wander

Post by wander »

I could not access its Red Card web site last few days. The browser stops at "connecting...). I got busy line when call the number in the back of the card. It looks like they don't know how to deal with it properly or they just don't care about customer's concern. I don't use credit or debit cards at Target so I don't worry too much.
prudent

Post by prudent »

If it was me, I would report my debit card lost and request a new one. A new PIN would not be enough to make me feel comfortable.

It's because of events like this that I will not have a debit card. ATM card, yes.
crowd79

Post by crowd79 »

Never, never use debit cards for purchases of anything. Credit cards are far safer. If your account gets hacked, it's a lot easier to notify a credit card company of a fraudulent charge and have it removed, since you have the power of not paying it. The Money is still in your hands and you'll elect not to pay it. With debit cards, your bank account can lose money, and it's far harder to get that money back when it is already "gone". The money is out of your hands.
traumadoc77

Post by traumadoc77 »

We used a cc and debt within that date range. We cancelled both. An inconvenience but rather do it now than be sorry later.
House Blend

Post by House Blend »

FWIW, I was at my small-ish credit union today to get a replacement credit card[*]. While waiting for the new card to get made I was chatting with the assistant manager about the Target breach.

According to her, they were about to receive a data dump from VISA (or maybe Target, wasn't clear to me from the conversation) of all of their credit card customers with compromised accounts. They were planning to issue new cards proactively.

[*] I have something resembling a George Costanza wallet situation, resulting in the occasional cracked card.
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

We shopped there during this estimated timeframe but so far, knock on wood, it appears there is no suspicious activity posting to our accounts. I am going to continue to monitor it online.
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
Higman

Post by Higman »

I cancelled my CC at Citi Bank last night. They will send me a new one overnight with a different account number. The rep said they would have done this proactively for anyone who had Target charges during the reported dates. It took about 12 minutes on hold to get a rep. I suppose this hack report swamped them with concerned customers.
Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy »

prudent wrote:If it was me, I would report my debit card lost and request a new one. A new PIN would not be enough to make me feel comfortable.

It's because of events like this that I will not have a debit card. ATM card, yes.
Why lie about why you want a new one? I don't think any bank would turn you down if you called and said "I used my card at Target during the breach period, I would like a new one." It's going to be a pretty standard request in coming days/weeks, so no need to lie about it.
investingdad

Post by investingdad »

I called the CC company yesterday, told them I had used my CC at Target during the time in question, and wanted new cards and new numbers.

They said, "No problem." Two minutes later, I was advised that new cards were on urgent 2 day delivery.

Around 3pm today they showed up, about 30 hours after I made the phone call.

Done and done.
Rainier

Post by Rainier »

I'm so scared of everything I hear in the news! I cancelled all my credit cards and I didn't even shop at Target.
Tortoise

Post by Tortoise »

investingdad wrote:I called the CC company yesterday, told them I had used my CC at Target during the time in question, and wanted new cards and new numbers.

They said, "No problem." Two minutes later, I was advised that new cards were on urgent 2 day delivery.

Around 3pm today they showed up, about 30 hours after I made the phone call.

Done and done.
I called our CC company today about it, and they said they are keeping track and not to worry. I will hear from them if they feel the card has been compromised. (My wife shopped at Target once during the hacked period.)
"Always do right. This will gratify some people, and astonish the rest." --Mark Twain
nhrdls

Target credit card breach

Post by nhrdls »

[Similar thread merged into here, see below. --admin LadyGeek]

An interesting read at http://krebsonsecurity.com/2013/12/card ... d-markets/

It looks like credit cards are already for sale. If you purchased anything at target between Nov. 29 and Dec. 15, please check your credit card activities carefully.

May be it's time to go back all cash or checks :moneybag
Levett

Re: Target credit card breach

Post by Levett »

Ah, "security."

About as meaningful as "risk management." ;-)

Lev
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

I wonder if Target is now offering particularly good bargains to bring people back to their stores.

Victoria
Inventor of the Bogleheads Secret Handshake | Winner of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
btenny

Post by btenny »

Does this mean that non-Target credit cards like VIsa that were used at Target are also at risk? I could not tell from the various news stories about the theft but it sure sounded like this is the case..

Anyone else at risk like this?
prudent

Post by prudent »

btenny wrote:Does this mean that non-Target credit cards like VIsa that were used at Target are also at risk? I could not tell from the various news stories about the theft but it sure sounded like this is the case..
Yes.
ryuns

Post by ryuns »

A good reminder that you're better off using credit cards than debit cards. I suppose cash would be safer for the actual transaction but probably outweighed by the chances of losing/having stolen the several hundred dollars that one would have to carry for a day of shopping. And God help you if you write checks. There's a line of people behind you, judging you.
An inconvenience is only an adventure wrongly considered; an adventure is an inconvenience rightly considered. -- GK Chesterton
btenny

Post by btenny »

This is getting to be PIA. This is the second time this year that my wife's CC has been hacked via some bad vendor security practice. Is anyone else going to call their bank and ask for a new card?? I guess we will call then soon. My wife is ticked off...
Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors »

btenny wrote:This is getting to be PIA. This is the second time this year that my wife's CC has been hacked via some bad vendor security practice. Is anyone else going to call their bank and ask for a new card?? I guess we will call then soon. My wife is ticked off...
I dropped them a line, I'm waiting for a response and keeping a very close eye on suspicious transactions.
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions
btenny

Post by btenny »

This is getting to be PIA. This is the second time this year that my wife's CC has been hacked via some bad vendor security practice. She sure is ticked off about this stuff... Is anyone else going to call their bank and ask for a new card?? I guess we will call them soon.

And as far as using cash, I would pay in cash every time IF the vendors would give us 1-2% rebates or discounts for cash. But they will not so I continue to use my CC for everything and get my 1-4% discount.
dgdevil

Post by dgdevil »

It's a silly Xmas headline, and has less consequence for people than the damage they inflicted on themselves by buying useless crap that the recipients will return the day after Christmas.
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

dgdevil wrote:It's a silly Xmas headline, and has less consequence for people than the damage they inflicted on themselves by buying useless crap that the recipients will return the day after Christmas.
Shopping (and returning useless crap) are the only physical exercise for the majority of the population.

Victoria
Inventor of the Bogleheads Secret Handshake | Winner of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
cfs

Post by cfs »

Discounts continue, as I understand Target will offer 10% discounts on all sales this weekend, my plan is to drop by my favorite Target store, but I plan to pay cash, I still have several $100 USD bills left in my wallet.
~ Member of the Active Retired Force since 2014 ~
davebarnes

Not worried at all

Post by davebarnes »

1. Get a RED Card. You get a 5% discount on Target purchases.
2. It can only be used at Target.
3. Pay it forward. I keep a balance on mine of about $3 in my favor.
4. If strange charges show up, then IT IS TARGET'S PROBLEM as it is their credit card.

That said.
Their email to me this morning was the most useless piece of [(stuff) --admin LadyGeek]. "How to contact credit reporting agencies..." Oh, you mean that I am supposed to fix YOUR [(mess up) --admin LadyGeek]?
The fallout from this will last for a while.
A nerd living in Denver
GerryL

Post by GerryL »

Be advised that there is already a phishing scam that is taking advantage of this situation by replicating the message that Target is sending to customers. (http://www.marketwatch.com/story/scamme ... 2013-12-20)

I did go to Target on Black Friday to pick up a Nook HD at a door buster price. Fortunately, I used gift cards (and $4 cash) to buy it.
wander

Post by wander »

Tortoise wrote: I called our CC company today about it, and they said they are keeping track and not to worry. I will hear from them if they feel the card has been compromised. (My wife shopped at Target once during the hacked period.)
I requested them to replace our RED cards. It's better safe than sorry. Just replace the cards and we can sleep better. I think you should to the same with your CCs.
Draak

Post by Draak »

Why would they provide free credit reporting? Personal information wasn't breached, just your credit or debit card information.

I will get my CC account number changed, but will probably wait until right after the holiday to do that. I'll just monitor charges on my account until then.

If I had used a debit card, I would change that immediately. Last thing you want is your account drained & a couple weeks to get it righted.
1210sda

Post by 1210sda »

Delayed Gratification wrote:Appreciate the replies. Since mine was a debit card, I'm going to call Wells Fargo and request a new number for our debit cards. It seems like the likelihood for us to be one of the 40 million is low, but I'm going to play it cautious. If it was a credit card it'd be different.

Thanks again, DG
DG, I too have my debit card (Red card) linked to my WellsFargo acct.

I would be interested in what WF has to say.

Thanks