If Not TurboTax, What?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
MichDad

If Not TurboTax, What?

Post by MichDad »

I've read with interest the numerous posts about Intuit's changes of its TurboTax products for the 2013 tax year. I agree with many of the posters that these changes are not in the best interest of users. I've used TurboTax Deluxe for many years. I usually purchase it from Costco. Given this year's changes, I'd like to consider purchasing a competitor's tax software product. I need to complete both Schedules D and E.

What non-Intuit tax software products have Bogleheads used and been satisfied with? How complicated were the tax returns? How were state returns handled and state e-filings completed? Were you able to easily transfer data from older TurboTax returns to your new, non-Intuit tax software? For example, I don't want to have to reenter depreciation data into a new software program.

Also, I'd like to join those who have thanked Bob Meighan of TurboTax for participating in the other thread about TurboTax. That was a classy thing to do.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Re: If Not TurboTax, What?

Post by LadyGeek »

Here's the thread: 2013 TurboTax: Which Product? New Rules?, and thanks to bmeighan for responding to the challenges.

I haven't done a competitive search in a few years, so I'm interested to know. I'm completing the tax forms for my parents, so the ability to do up to 5 returns is good.

I'm not happy about the extra charge for state returns, but I consider e-filing mandatory. I can't trust my parents to handle the paperwork themselves (I e-file with them present). Otherwise, I'd help them with the paperwork in person and make sure it was done correctly.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
chaz

Post by chaz »

Lady Geek, your parents are fortunate to have such a wonderful daughter.
Chaz | | “Money is better than poverty, if only for financial reasons." Woody Allen | | http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page
sscritic

Post by sscritic »

I usually use H&R Block (previously TaxCut), although two years ago I just built a spreadsheet and filled out the fillable pdfs. The USPS still delivered my returns for me: I think the cost was $0.44 and $1.32 (large envelope - the state wants a copy of the fed) plus the cost of paper and ink for my printer. To save paper, I printed the forms double sided, just like real forms.

Of course, for LG, this would require going to her parents' house, watching them sign, and then taking their returns to the post office. As I read her SP, that is not in the cards.

SP: second post, or is that FR, first reply?
bsteiner

Post by bsteiner »

I've used TaxCut (now H&R Block) for over 20 years. I think it's a little less expensive than TurboTax. I've been satisfied with it. I get the Premium and Business (formerly Home and Business) version since I have to do fiduciary income tax returns for a few trusts. It includes the individual Federal return, and the first individual state return (additional state returns are extra). It also includes the individual Federal fiduciary return, and the state fiduciary returns for all of the states. It's about $80, often a bit less on Amazon.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

sscritic wrote:I usually use H&R Block (previously TaxCut), although two years ago I just built a spreadsheet and filled out the fillable pdfs. The USPS still delivered my returns for me: I think the cost was $0.44 and $1.32 (large envelope - the state wants a copy of the fed) plus the cost of paper and ink for my printer. To save paper, I printed the forms double sided, just like real forms.

Of course, for LG, this would require going to her parents' house, watching them sign, and then taking their returns to the post office. As I read her SP, that is not in the cards.

SP: second post, or is that FR, first reply?
This is the 6th post. Actually, they come to my house. I never ask, but they always bring lunch. :) It's not a problem to do this manually, as long as I have the prior years' returns - which I keep securely on my PC in PDF format.

The other part of evaluating a competitive package is the ability to ACH transfer the funds, whether for a tax refund or a tax payment.

chaz - thanks for the compliment.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
marbles100

Post by marbles100 »

There's another thread about DIY taxes and several folks weighing in about their choice of software, Taxact in particular:
http://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtop ... 2&t=127762
To answer your question here, Taxact has been my choice for years now. Specifically, I purchase the web-based Taxact Ultimate Bundle ($17.95, or pre-order $14.95 - yes, very cheap -and you pay when you file) which includes online Taxact Deluxe and one free federal and one free state e-file. For multiple returns, it is possible to buy a CD or download for $28 or so, not sure. Taxact has been sufficient for me for schedules C, D, E, etc. and my data carries forward nicely between years. ACH possible. Sorry, I don't know if your TT data will transfer to Taxact or any other tax prep product (I'd doubt it…).
sscritic

Post by sscritic »

marbles100 wrote:Sorry, I don't know if your TT data will transfer to Taxact or any other tax prep product (I'd doubt it…).
I wouldn't doubt it. The other companies want customers. The customers have been using TT. The companies need to read old data from TT. As I recall from the past, it was only TT that wouldn't read the others' data.
sscritic

Post by sscritic »

bsteiner wrote:I've used TaxCut (now H&R Block) for over 20 years. I think it's a little less expensive than TurboTax. I've been satisfied with it. I get the Premium and Business (formerly Home and Business) version since I have to do fiduciary income tax returns for a few trusts.
You use Windows. They don't make that for Mac, which my sister needs for the 1041s for my mom's trusts. :(
H&R BLOCK
PREMIUM
& BUSINESS
Best for small business owners

Learn More Business & Premium Tax Software
Windows
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

sscritic wrote:
marbles100 wrote:Sorry, I don't know if your TT data will transfer to Taxact or any other tax prep product (I'd doubt it…).
I wouldn't doubt it. The other companies want customers. The customers have been using TT. The companies need to read old data from TT. As I recall from the past, it was only TT that wouldn't read the others' data.
Read the fine print in Compare TaxACT's Online Products:
* TaxACT Online can import tax data from PDF files prepared by the following software solutions: TurboTax®, H&R Block At Home®.
The operative word acronym is PDF. IOW, they don't get into reverse engineering the data file itself, just scrape the output file for content. I think that's a good way to do it - and avoid legal problems. The same note is on Compare TaxACT's Desktop Products.

TaxACT looks like a good possibility. I'll need 2 federal and 2 state. Last year with TurboTax, I e-filed my parent's state taxes, but snail-mailed mine (no extra fee).
sscritic

Post by sscritic »

I can't find it on the H&R Block website, but my retail box for 2012 says
Imports data from H&R Block At Home, Turbo Tax, and Quicken.
I once used TT, and the next year I imported the data into TaxCut (H&R's product at the time). I only use products on my own computer, so the files are local.
Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy »

sscritic wrote:I can't find it on the H&R Block website, but my retail box for 2012 says
I once used TT, and the next year I imported the data into TaxCut (H&R's product at the time). I only use products on my own computer, so the files are local.
I had the same experience here, although I did have lots of fun last year because my TurboTax file from the prior year had gotten corrupted. After much digging through backups, I managed to find a good copy of the file. The joys of the digital age. It probably would have been faster to have just pulled out the paper copies and type it all in again.
gkaplan

Post by gkaplan »

I asked this question in the other TurboTax thread, but it must have been overlooked, so I'll post it here.

Do TaxAct or H&R Block have something comparable to the It's Deductible program of TurboTax? It's Deductible is a standalone, online program that let's you list your charitable deductions, which TurboTax imports when you do your return. I searched on the TaxAct and H& Block websites but couldn't locate anything.

Thanks.
Last edited by gkaplan on Sat Dec 07, 2013 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gordon
dad2000

Post by dad2000 »

gkaplan wrote:I asked this question in the other TurboTax thread, but it must have been overlooked, so I'll post it here.

Do TaxAct or H&R Block have some comparable to the It's Deductible program of TurboTax? It's Deductible is a standalone, online program that let's you list your charitable deductions, which TurboTax imports when you do your return. I searched on the TaxAct and H& Block websites but couldn't locate anything.

Thanks.

I never used It's Deductible, but does this look similar: http://www.taxact.com/tsupport/FAQDispl ... tion=21701
gkaplan

Post by gkaplan »

This does look similar.
Gordon
nanosour

Post by nanosour »

I've used H&R Block software since 1998 with the exception of 2005 when they didn't have a mac version. Based on my one experience with TT, the H&R software was better, and yes somewhat cheaper. BTW, they both read each others files, so no problem there.

Recommend the H&R, but TaxAct may be a better solution for your needs.
nanosour

Post by nanosour »

gkaplan wrote:I asked this question in the other TurboTax thread, but it must have been overlooked, so I'll post it here.

Do TaxAct or H&R Block have something comparable to the It's Deductible program of TurboTax? It's Deductible is a standalone, online program that let's you list your charitable deductions, which TurboTax imports when you do your return. I searched on the TaxAct and H& Block websites but couldn't locate anything.

Thanks.

Yes, H&R does have a deduction program. However, I've found it's not really necessary or worth the trouble. If you have so many deductions that it may raise a flag, then it might be worth looking deeper into. I stay away from that potential audit trigger.
JW-Retired

Post by JW-Retired »

I've used H&R Block at home (TaxCut) for the last 10 years, since TurboTax tried some foolishness about limiting using the program on multiple computers and/or other family members and I jumped their ship. It was a painless transition to HR&B. Very similar acting programs. No problem reading the competitors files (at least back then). H&RB Deluxe + state does everything I need (free efile).
JW
Retired at Last
tfb

Post by tfb »

MichDad wrote:I usually purchase it from Costco. Given this year's changes, I'd like to consider purchasing a competitor's tax software product.
Changes are only to the online version. No changes to the boxed version you buy from Costco.
Harry Sit has left the forums.
sscritic

Post by sscritic »

tfb wrote: Changes are only to the online version. No changes to the boxed version you buy from Costco.
or anywhere else; I don't think Costco has an exclusive version. Also, if you are not happy about the direction the company is going, you don't have to wait until they remove Schedule D from boxed Deluxe (to better serve your needs) next year or the year after to make a switch, you can go ahead and switch to a competitor's product this year.
sscritic

Post by sscritic »

sscritic wrote:I can't find it on the H&R Block website, but my retail box for 2012 says
It's printed on the front of the box 2013 box. See Amazon for "Imports data directly from TurboTax."
http://www.amazon.com/Block-Software-20 ... B00FYH8URE

(thanks to tfb for pointing out it is already on sale on Amazon)

P.S. if you can wait, it will likely be a gold box deal of the day some time in January or February.
Gold Box Deal of the Day: Save 50% on H&R Block At Home Tax Software. Save 50% on select H&R Block At Home tax software today, February 25, 2011, only.
I paid $21.99 last year.
Customers who have shown an interest in our Software Store might like to know that select H&R Block tax products are the featured Deal of the Day at Amazon.com. This offer is valid today only, January 5, 2013, and while supplies last.

Our Deal of the Day price for H&R Block At Home 2012 Deluxe + State is just $21.99, a savings of 51% off the list price.
gd

Post by gd »

I'm one of the posters making negative comments about TurboTax (although I again commend their VP for having the durability to post here). I bailed on it after unannounced restrictions 10 years ago prevented me from using it for one return being worked on in two different countries, switching to free TaxACT. I had some problems with subtle inadequacies, the program not filing a form that was required only under certain unusual circumstances they did not recognize. The regs are clear, but the situation unusual. They were remarkably responsive, to the point of inviting me to submit a censored tax return that they could study, but the bottom line was that they just didn't seem to be paying attention to my obscure case details and I moved on. As an experiment I switched back to TurboTax after a few years, and it made the same error on form filing requirements. However, TurboTax did expose a completely different, blindingly dumb mistake I had made years previously on depreciations that TaxACT had not sufficiently rubbed my nose in to make me see it. Moral: if you have a simple tax return and high confidence you're on track, free TaxACT is a fine and cheaper way to fill out tax returns. Think of it as a form completion tool. If you have anything tricky, TurboTax does give an advantage. I am NOT talking about videos of shiny happy people talking to me from the screen, just clearer presentation in asking for and entering information.
sscritic

Post by sscritic »

I don't like TT or the company (Intuit), but I too have to give them props. I made a state estimated tax payment in January one year. I got a refund from the state because I paid too much. The rules on what was a taxable state refund on the next year's return are a little tricky. There is a formula (or worksheet) for Recoveries of Itemized Deductions in publication 525 that applies. TaxCut told me to read pub 525 as I recall, but TT worked it out for me. I followed TaxCut's advice and ended up making my own spreadsheet, and the numbers matched TT.
Cash

Post by Cash »

+1 for TaxAct. I switched to TaxAct a few years ago when I started taxable investing. I wanted software that could import my transactions from a CSV file, and TaxAct does so admirably. Prior to that, I used Tax Slayer, which is fine if you don't have investment transactions to report. But I prefer TaxAct's interface over Tax Slayer's.
Pajamas

Post by Pajamas »

I have used several different programs but have been using TaxAct the last few years. It is very inexpensive and has improved in quality each year. When I had very long schedule Ds and used Quicken to track my investments, TurboTax was easy to use because it would import the data but no need for that now.

Just be sure to save a copy of your tax return on your own computer and print a copy as well. They have a limited amount of time you are allowed to access it before you would have to pay a fee to do so.

They offer discounts if you pay in advance.

It probably doesn't apply to many people here, but if your income is low enough, you may qualify for free online tax preparation and filing with various providers.

[Corrected to TaxAct, not TaxCut; I have used TurboTax, H&RB Block, and TaxCut.]
Last edited by Pajamas on Fri Dec 20, 2013 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wander

Tax Cut will work just fine

Post by wander »

Although I prefer Turbo Tax, but Tax Cut is cheaper and works fine for us.
sscritic

Post by sscritic »

What is this TaxCut or Tax Cut that people are writing about? I have my copy from 2008, but that was five years ago. I haven't see any new versions of TaxCut for several years.
wander

Post by wander »

sscritic wrote:What is this TaxCut or Tax Cut that people are writing about? I have my copy from 2008, but that was five years ago. I haven't see any new versions of TaxCut for several years.
If you google for taxcut, it will jump to H&R Bock Tax software.
sscritic

Post by sscritic »

I can call you Betty, and Betty when you call me you can call me Al.
Other posters have written Tax Cut when they meant Tax Act. Others, like you, have written Tax Cut with a space when you mean TaxCut without a space, a product that doesn't exist. If you mean H&R Block (no longer at Home), then you should write what you mean. Using the correct name reduces the confusion caused by using the incorrect name, which as we have seen, has two different interpretations.

P.S. Google does many things, but I have never seen it jump. :)
sscritic

Post by sscritic »

I just googled Tax Cut (your original spelling) and found this:
Tax cut - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tax_cut‎
A tax cut is a reduction in taxes. The immediate effects of a tax cut are a decrease in the real income of the government and an increase in the real income of ...
This was the first listing that is not an ad.
Drewman

Post by Drewman »

I use FreeTaxUSA. I complete the state portion to get the amount I owe or pay but I don't pay the $12.95 for the state. I then use the ohio e-file but I like to compare the amount owed/payed before I complete it.

The federal is always free no matter what schedules you use.

Anyone ever used FreeTaxUSA? I have only used it for 2012 taxes but I thought it was equivalent to TT.
jlawrence01

Post by jlawrence01 »

I have used TaxAct for the past five years or so. What I really enjoy about the program is that you pay one fee ~$15 for the federal, state, and e-filing the return.

I used to use Turbo Tax, but I had three major issues with it.

1) My computer died. Their software program would not let me install on the replacement computer.
2) On numerous occasions, I could not get an update to the program on-line without calls to the support line.
3) I could never get the true pricing upfront. To me, it seemed like a three-card monty.
Topic Author
MichDad

Post by MichDad »

Drewman wrote:I use FreeTaxUSA. I complete the state portion to get the amount I owe or pay but I don't pay the $12.95 for the state. I then use the ohio e-file but I like to compare the amount owed/payed before I complete it.

The federal is always free no matter what schedules you use.

Anyone ever used FreeTaxUSA? I have only used it for 2012 taxes but I thought it was equivalent to TT.
Thank you for this lead. I've never heard of FreeTaxUSA before. Do other Bogleheads have experience with it?
meebers

Post by meebers »

I have been using $9.95 Tax Act for years. Last year did a "test" file on line with TT and compared the results. Exactly the same.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

A quick look at FreeTaxUSA gives me 2nd thoughts. Their Privacy Policy states that they will solicit you for a sales reference, e.g. a friend, and then embed tracking info in the email.
We may use clear-gifs/web beacons in our HTML-based emails to monitor the effectiveness of our communication efforts. Links within email may contain campaign tracking codes to measure traffic. When you click on a link in an email or open an HTML email that includes a web beacon, we record these individual responses to allow us to customize our offerings to you.
If you have a state return, your minimum cost is $12.95. I'm not sure why anyone would need this, but they charge $5.95 for a printed return, or $12.95 for a printed and bound return. Perhaps it's useful to a professional.

They also have a nice referral program if you're in this business. Partners & Affiliates
gkaplan

Post by gkaplan »

Do the non-TurboTax programs handle backdoor Roth conversions without a hitch?
Gordon
Cash

Post by Cash »

gkaplan wrote:Do the non-TurboTax programs handle backdoor Roth conversions without a hitch?
Yes for TaxAct.
gkaplan

Post by gkaplan »

Thanks, Cash.
Gordon
bogleblitz

Post by bogleblitz »

I used turbotax for many years. Last year I saw a good deal, H&R Block deluxe for $1.

H&R Block is pretty good and will try it again.
JW-Retired

Post by JW-Retired »

bogleblitz wrote:I used turbotax for many years. Last year I saw a good deal, H&R Block deluxe for $1.

Last year Deluxe + state for $15. Year before that they sent it for free! This sort of worries me. These prices have a going out business smell.

New software is not fun for me anymore.
JW
Retired at Last
Drewman

Post by Drewman »

LadyGeek wrote:A quick look at FreeTaxUSA gives me 2nd thoughts. Their Privacy Policy states that they will solicit you for a sales reference, e.g. a friend, and then embed tracking info in the email.
We may use clear-gifs/web beacons in our HTML-based emails to monitor the effectiveness of our communication efforts. Links within email may contain campaign tracking codes to measure traffic. When you click on a link in an email or open an HTML email that includes a web beacon, we record these individual responses to allow us to customize our offerings to you.
If you have a state return, your minimum cost is $12.95. I'm not sure why anyone would need this, but they charge $5.95 for a printed return, or $12.95 for a printed and bound return. Perhaps it's useful to a professional.

They also have a nice referral program if you're in this business. Partners & Affiliates

Playing Devils advocate....FreeTaxUSA has the same TRUSTe Certified Privacy that TurboTax has. However, FreeTaxUSA allows you to opt-out --> http://preferences-mgr.truste.com/
jlawrence01

Post by jlawrence01 »

JW Nearly Retired wrote:
bogleblitz wrote:I used turbotax for many years. Last year I saw a good deal, H&R Block deluxe for $1.

Last year Deluxe + state for $15. Year before that they sent it for free! This sort of worries me. These prices have a going out business smell.

New software is not fun for me anymore.
JW

For several years, HR Block was offering their TaxCut software at Dollar Tree for $1. That SOUNDS like a great deal.

However, there is a charge for any state tax ($15) and still an additional charge for e-filing.

Personally, that did not bother me too much as the Illinois return was simple to do by hand and I just mailed the return in.

That is one of the MAJOR reasons I switched over to TaxAct.

As for the "free" software disk offers, most of them have a fee involved in using them.
gkaplan

Post by gkaplan »

I just registered with TaxAct. We'll see how it goes. I don't particularly care for TurboTax's business model right now.
Gordon
EternalOptimist

Post by EternalOptimist »

I've been using TT for at least 4 or 5 years. This is giving me food for thought re: switching. Is it a big deal to switch over to Taxact? What about prior tax history, handling of dividends/interest/cap gains--I am reasonably satisfied with TT. Thanks
"When nothing goes right....go left"
gerntz

Post by gerntz »

A CPA. We're not the richest, but we have income from numerous sources and of various types. Just taking the income as it comes & plugging it into a program would miss the savings opportunities that avoiding & bringing forward streams provide. His understanding of how these components are impacted by the tax rates at various levels saves us many x what we pay him.
Saving$

Post by Saving$ »

"If Not TurboTax, What?"

TaxAct.

Have used it for 10+ years.. I am also one of those who switched 10 years ago, the year that TT started installing stealth software on an obscure part of your hard drive that stayed there even when you reformatted the drive, all in some sort of effort to stop you from printing more than one return.

TaxAct works great, is affordable, has no silly rebates to deal with, and they (used to) answer the phone. I buy the downloadable version, Fed + State bundle, as I have an aversion to putting my private info online. This version of TaxAct lets me do as many returns as I want on my own computer. So I can do a bunch of "what if" scenarios and even print them out if I want. It comes with one free Federal efile, and I pay for the state efile. When I help others with their return (most years) I let them decide if they want to print it out and mail it, or if they want to pay for the additional efiles. They usually opt for the efiles, so TA still makes their money.
Last edited by Saving$ on Mon Dec 09, 2013 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Saving$

Post by Saving$ »

Thanks.
Yes for at least the downloadable version of TaxAct. It is under Tools and called Donation Assistant. Works very well. I used it a few years ago when I did a purge and had TONS of donations. I was impressed by how easy it was to enter items.
mike143

Post by mike143 »

Nothing is free, someone pays...You can't spend your way to financial freedom.
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

I have used Turbo and also H&R Block's Tax Cut. Both are quite similar and easy to use.
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

gkaplan wrote:I just registered with TaxAct. We'll see how it goes. I don't particularly care for TurboTax's business model right now.
Agree. I'm a former TT user, but I'm switching to TaxAct Deluxe this year ($12.99).
Best Regards - Mel | | Semper Fi