CapitalOne 360 check upload problems

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
englishgirl

CapitalOne 360 check upload problems

Post by englishgirl »

I'm having problems depositing a check to CapitalOne 360 (formerly ING Direct).

Apparently the upgrade to iOS 7 has messed up their app. I can't get the mobile deposit function to work at all. They suggest using my computer to deposit a scanned/photographed version of the check. But that's not working for me either. Their telephone help line is not helping me at all, so here I am - has anyone encountered similar problems and got the check upload to work lately? Are there any special tricks that would make this work, like the size of the image, browser used, etc?

Thanks!
Sarah
bungalow10

Re: CapitalOne 360 check upload problems

Post by bungalow10 »

Use another bank until they work out the bugs?
An elephant for a dime is only a good deal if you need an elephant and have a dime.
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

I use a flatbed scanner on my computer and in the beginning had nothing but trouble, and no help from their tech support, until I discovered the answer for myself. On that kind of image, for some reason, it is absolutely essential to have a black or at least dark margin around the check. In my case, I leave the cover open and put the check about 1/4" from the edge, and set the scan area to include about 1/4" around the check. That works perfectly every time. When I was "debugging" the procedure, I took the same image and cropped it to include the check, the whole check, and nothing but the check, and it then failed.

I don't know whether that's relevant to using a smartphone, but just for laughs, try putting the check on something dark and deliberately holding the phone far enough away so that the captured image includes a dark border.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
Topic Author
englishgirl

Post by englishgirl »

Thanks!

I tried having a relatively dark wood background to the photo but maybe I'll try something even darker.

Unfortunately, I don't have another personal bank account that I could use, so that option is out.

My remaining options seem to be:
1. Wait, and hope they fix the problem before my account runs out of money.
2. Mail the check in. See option 1 re hoping this works before my account runs out of money.
3. Find an obliging friend with the app on their Android phone, OR an iPhone that has not been upgraded to iOS 7. My Android-loving friend who I know has the same account is so far being too paranoid to let me use his phone to access my account. Sigh.
Sarah
reason-logic

Post by reason-logic »

You can mail the deposit to them.
Topic Author
englishgirl

Post by englishgirl »

Yes, it looks like I am going to have to mail the check in. I've been escalating the issue, and apparently I'm unique as nobody else is having a similar problem and it's not clear to them what is causing MY problem. Haha, well, of course I always knew that I was unique. But still.

It was not iOS 7, as the Android app had the same problem.

The check is going in the mail today if I still can't deposit it by phone.

I *do* think the incremental changes they are making to their website and customer service are not for the better. When they took over ING Direct, I was all about waiting and seeing how they did. But I'm not loving them.
Sarah
Onward

Post by Onward »

I use the Cap One 360 app for Android. I've also used their website and a scanner to deposit checks.

The Android app deposits checks more reliably than the website/scanner.

Something you can try is drawing a large black dot in each of the four corners of the check before photographing or scanning.