How to find an advisor for international personal finance?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
srboisvert

How to find an advisor for international personal finance?

Post by srboisvert »

How can I find a fee only financial adviser with expertise in international situations for personal banking, investing, retirement saving and tax planning? I am a Canadian expat, former UK resident, and immigrant to America (living in Chicago) and will have income and retirement savings coming from multiple countries and uncertainty about where I will ultimately end up. How can I find someone with the expertise to help me with my particular situation?
nun

Re: How to find an advisor for international personal financ

Post by nun »

Check out forums like

britishexpats.com
uk-yankee.com

there are Canadian forums too.

There are some small companies that specialize in cross-border tax between US/UK or UK/Canada or US/Canada, but once you get into more than two countries finding a one stop shop other than a big accounting firm becomes difficult. Investing is a harder issue as advice in that area is regulated. You will need to educate yourself, but generally is pretty easy to own cross-border saving accounts and individual stocks, but complicated and a bad idea to invest in pooled investments like mutual funds.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Re: How to find an advisor for international personal financ

Post by LadyGeek »

Welcome! I've seen this forum mentioned for US / Canada: Serbinski Accounting Firms
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.