Calm me down -- I just signed up with Lending Tree

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
Paddington79

Calm me down -- I just signed up with Lending Tree

Post by Paddington79 »

Was this dumb?? I'm shopping for a mortgage, saw it recommended on another thread, and now my phone is ringing off the hook...
They asked for my SS for a soft credit pull. Now I'm afraid that lenders are also running my credit, and it's being dinged. Freaking that they have my SS.
I was just trying to compare rates and see what's out there, and I thought this site would be a way to compare.
AGH! Is this a disaster?
Topic Author
Paddington79

Re: Calm me down -- I just signed up with Lending Tree

Post by Paddington79 »

[OT comment removed by admin LadyGeek]
rotorhead

Post by rotorhead »

Never, never give out your SS unless you are at the stage in a transaction where it becomes absouletely necessary..

If you are mortgage shopping, take a look at http://www.bankrate.com. Lots of good information there. Type in your zip code, and see what's being offered in your area.
gerrym51

Post by gerrym51 »

Paddington79 wrote:[OT comment removed by admin LadyGeek]
his title says calm me down but then he asks was this dumb. instead of expounding on the obvious answer i provided a link
pennstater2005

Post by pennstater2005 »

I did that and regretted it mainly because of all the phone calls and emails. I never gave my social though. I think you'll be fine. It'll take a few weeks or more to settle down. Just tell them you found a lender and they'll leave you alone.
“If you think nobody cares if you're alive, try missing a couple of car payments.” – Earl Wilson
sunnyday

Post by sunnyday »

I used lending tree to get my first mortgage and it worked well. If the lenders keep calling and emailing you, just say that you want X% for a rate with no closing costs and that you don't waste your or their time if they can't get you that rate.
Topic Author
Paddington79

Post by Paddington79 »

Thanks - sorry. I am mainly upset because I fear that lenders will continually pull my SSN indefinitely, thus dinging my credit.
Is there a finite limit on when they can stop pulling my info? (I have called Lending Tree and asked that they cancel my request.)
Twins Fan

Post by Twins Fan »

I did the same thing earlier this year when I was looking to refinance my rental property. There were a bunch of phone calls for about two weeks and then they went away. I found a place I went through for the refi, and the phone calls stop quickly when you tell them you decided to go with someone else. :)

Also, I think there's a 30 day window (?) where they consider all credit scores pulled to be one credit score check because of exactly situations like this... someone looking for a home or car loan. Something along those lines anyway.

My credit score is the same now as it was before I did the refinance.

No need to worry.
Randomize

Post by Randomize »

Twins Fan wrote:Also, I think there's a 30 day window (?) where they consider all credit scores pulled to be one credit score check because of exactly situations like this... someone looking for a home or car loan. Something along those lines anyway.
+1. The window is 14 days for Experian but 30 for the other two agencies, I believe. Either way, it should be plenty of time for everybody to do their checks. Also, checks only show up on your report for two years and their impact diminishes greatly over time within that window. Beyond one year, they really don't matter.
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

We bank with a small/mid size regional bank and have never experienced any issues. We made a decision to move away form the large global bank structure. The regional bank has gotten to know us (and our kids) which is a nice feeling and somewhat unexpected. Mostly the same folks are there when we stop in.

Anytime we need a loan or have questions or concerns we stop in and never have any issues.

To us it is all about building relationships.
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."