new job 3.5 hours away

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
ieee488

new job 3.5 hours away

Post by ieee488 »

There is a possibility that I may be offered a job that is 3.5 hours away.
I applied for the job, because it would offer me to opportunity to do the software development I want to do that I haven't gotten to do much of in my current job.

I don't plan on selling my current home and relocating permanently.

Should I still ask for a relocation package?

Has anyone done something like this?
What should I be considering when making a decision?
Dell Optiplex 3020 (Win7 Pro), Dell Precision M6300 (Ubuntu Linux 12.04), Dell Precision M6300 (Win7 Pro), Dell Latitude D531 (Vista)
Boglenaut

Re: new job 3.5 hours away

Post by Boglenaut »

ieee488 wrote:There is a possibility that I may be offered a job that is 3.5 hours away.
I applied for the job, because it would offer me to opportunity to do the software development I want to do that I haven't gotten to do much of in my current job.

I don't plan on selling my current home and relocating permanently.

Should I still ask for a relocation package?

Has anyone done something like this?
What should I be considering when making a decision?
Can you work remotely? You may be surprised how flexible some employers are, especially in fields that have knowledge workers.
frugaltype

Post by frugaltype »

Do they know this is a temporary job for you? If so, I doubt they would fork out for relocation. If they think it's permanent, you usually have to stay with the company for a year (in my era, anyway) or you owe them the amount.

What's relocation going to cost you, anyway? Are you moving furniture as in a permanent move?
Topic Author
ieee488

Post by ieee488 »

Boglenaut wrote:Can you work remotely? You may be surprised how flexible some employers are, especially in fields that have knowledge workers.
No, not for this job. The programming is for equipment on the factory floor.
frugaltype wrote:Do they know this is a temporary job for you? If so, I doubt they would fork out for relocation. If they think it's permanent, you usually have to stay with the company for a year (in my era, anyway) or you owe them the amount.

What's relocation going to cost you, anyway? Are you moving furniture as in a permanent move?
Initially I had thought I would stay in one of those extended-stay hotels.
But I have come to learn they are pricey.
I would like to make use of the relocation package money, a lump sum if possible, to offset the cost.

I haven't done anything like this before.

Seeking the advice of Bogleheads which I have found to be very reliable.
Dell Optiplex 3020 (Win7 Pro), Dell Precision M6300 (Ubuntu Linux 12.04), Dell Precision M6300 (Win7 Pro), Dell Latitude D531 (Vista)
bungalow10

Post by bungalow10 »

How long will you be doing this job? Anyway you can rent out your house and use the proceeds to offset the cost of your monthly rent closer to the job?
An elephant for a dime is only a good deal if you need an elephant and have a dime.
hicabob

Post by hicabob »

Perhaps they will pay for an apartment for a "long-term temp"? Obviously best to discuss this prior to accepting.
jpkuva

Post by jpkuva »

What is your longer term plan with regards to the job and location of that job, i.e. how long will you plan to stay in this job? Apt/house sharing will be your best bet from a cost perspective. I think it's reasonable to seek reimbursement of your house hunting costs. However. I would caution on requesting a large sum of money leaving the employer with the impression you will be incurring large expenses. Best of luck to you.
WendyW

Post by WendyW »

ieee488 wrote:There is a possibility that I may be offered a job...
Your efforts at this point would be better spend trying to land a job offer, rather than worrying about the what-ifs that will arise afterwards.
Topic Author
ieee488

Post by ieee488 »

WendyW wrote:
ieee488 wrote:There is a possibility that I may be offered a job...
Your efforts at this point would be better spend trying to land a job offer, rather than worrying about the what-ifs that will arise afterwards.
Yes, but I don't want to waste their time and my time either. My desire not to permanently relocate is very solid.
money

Post by money »

Seems like a bad idea in general; I hope you are not planning on commuting.
1Fi1LTvx8KmtotRqcha9mj5h43319mJvjY
l2ridehd

Post by l2ridehd »

I did this a couple times. First time the job was 3000 miles away and I negotiated a monthly rental fee in place of a relocation package. We estimated the relocation would cost around 80K so I asked for a monthly rental reimbursement of $2500 a month for 2 years or $1500 a month for 3 years. A win win for both of us. I ended up renting a place for $1650 so cost me $150 a month. Turns out after 3 years they asked me to move to the other side of the country, back about three hours from home, so I said sure, but need a monthly rental reimbursement instead of relocation. And they agreed. Relocation is expensive. More so now then back when I did the rental agreement. So companies are more willing to consider alternatives like this. If you agree to this and they decide to fire you in a year or you decide to quit, costs you both less.
WendyW

Post by WendyW »

ieee488 wrote:Yes, but I don't want to waste their time and my time either.
If you're nearing the end of the recruitment process, then it's too late; you've already wasted the employer's time.

If you're not far along in the recruitment process, then this is really a hypothetical question.
Bogleheads' time is worth something too.
Topic Author
ieee488

Post by ieee488 »

WendyW wrote:
ieee488 wrote:Yes, but I don't want to waste their time and my time either.
If you're nearing the end of the recruitment process, then it's too late; you've already wasted the employer's time.

If you're not far along in the recruitment process, then this is really a hypothetical question.
Bogleheads' time is worth something too.
Wow! I am sorry to have wasted your time.
Topic Author
ieee488

Post by ieee488 »

l2ridehd wrote:I did this a couple times. First time the job was 3000 miles away and I negotiated a monthly rental fee in place of a relocation package. We estimated the relocation would cost around 80K so I asked for a monthly rental reimbursement of $2500 a month for 2 years or $1500 a month for 3 years. A win win for both of us. I ended up renting a place for $1650 so cost me $150 a month. Turns out after 3 years they asked me to move to the other side of the country, back about three hours from home, so I said sure, but need a monthly rental reimbursement instead of relocation. And they agreed. Relocation is expensive. More so now then back when I did the rental agreement. So companies are more willing to consider alternatives like this. If you agree to this and they decide to fire you in a year or you decide to quit, costs you both less.
Did you have a house the first time or were you renting?
clacy

Post by clacy »

It can't hurt to ask. The worst that could be said is "no". Don't assume to know the answer before asking because you might be pleasantly surprised.
l2ridehd

Post by l2ridehd »

I had a house that I planned to keep in VA. Was going to CA for the job and did not plan to sell the VA home. What I did was meet with the HR folks to discuss relocation. Find out what they provided and paid for. During that discussion I asked about getting a rental subsidy vs moving. They were receptive to that so we discussed options. We never did get to actual relocation cost but more like we discussed averages. I suspect it would have cost them more to actually move me then the cost of 3 years of renting. I was getting ready to buy a condo in CA as my 3 years was about up, when they asked me to move back to the East coast. So for me everything worked out well. After I worked in NJ for two years they transferred me to VA, so back home again. Still owned the house and all was good. Win win for both of us. Why more companies don't do this is because people want them to maintain the home they keep. I didn't need that as I still had family living there. It doesn't cost a thing to discuss it with them. I would start by discussing relocation help and see where it goes.
covertfantom

Post by covertfantom »

If you're at the top of the field going to a mega-corp I can't see why they wouldn't give you a relocation package. I know some folks who have been relocated by Microsoft from California to Seattle. With that said, I don't know how this topic wasn't broached during the first round of interviews. I always look at folks who are over 1 hour away from the office suspiciously. If they brought you in for an interview, they either expect you to move or telecommute. Either way, I would ask if they offer the job. It should all be spelled out in your compensation package.
frugaltype

Post by frugaltype »

I'm still trying to figure out if they know you are looking at this as a temporary job.
Topic Author
ieee488

Post by ieee488 »

frugaltype wrote:I'm still trying to figure out if they know you are looking at this as a temporary job.
I am not looking at it as a temporary job. I just don't want to sell my home.
My plan as I wrote above was to work there during the week and go home on weekends.
rfburns

Post by rfburns »

Do you still have a mortgage on your house?
What would you do with in the meantime? Rent it out, use a weekend getaway?
jda

Post by jda »

ieee488 wrote:
frugaltype wrote:I'm still trying to figure out if they know you are looking at this as a temporary job.
I am not looking at it as a temporary job. I just don't want to sell my home.
My plan as I wrote above was to work there during the week and go home on weekends.
I used to work with a guy who has a house in San Jose and work in San Diego during the week.
What he did was rent a room from someone and fly home on the weekend.

As for relocation package, I know some companies would either move you or give you a certain amount of money as a signing bonus and maybe you can use that amount as a starting point of your relocation negotiation.
Topic Author
ieee488

Post by ieee488 »

I have decided not to proceed further with this.
Thanks to everyone for their input.