Esurance?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
zmcpherson

Esurance?

Post by zmcpherson »

Does anyone here use Esurance for their automobile? Ive had progressive for 6ish years but I just did some price shopping and Esurance would drop my rate from $800 to $420 per 6 months for the exact same coverage.

It seems like a no brain-er, but I suppose there always has to be a catch (though Esurance was bought by Allstate so it couldnt be that bad).

I was just wondering if anyone had any experience with them.

Thanks Guys,
Default User BR

Re: Esurance?

Post by Default User BR »

There doesn't have to be a catch. Sometimes rates are dramatically different for one reason or another. You do have to make sure that you're comparing exactly the same coverage.

Brian
Topic Author
zmcpherson

Post by zmcpherson »

Yeah, everything is the exact same. Almost 100% more just seems like an insane price difference.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

I have had Esurance for about the past 3yrs. Never had to file a claim, but the prices are great.
Taylor Larimore

Post by Taylor Larimore »

zmcpherson:

Your post intrigued me so I went online to Esurance. I didn't like giving them my social security # but I did. They gave me a quick 6-month premium quote of $1,084. My current 6-month premium with State Farm is $682.

I'll stay with State Farm.

Best wishes.
Taylor
"Simplicity is the master key to financial success." -- Jack Bogle
savemorelivebetter

Post by savemorelivebetter »

I had Progressive and switched to esurance 5 years ago. Esurance rates were much lower which is why I switched. They also had a fully electronic payment and document system which was good. Unfortunately, I had to file claims with both companies (both accidents were for no fault of mine, was rear ended both times and the other insurance paid in full). My claim process with E-surance was poor and in marked contrast with my experience with progresive.
E-surance gave me the run around, had to wait for their adjustor, I had limited choice in picking up the repair center and filing a claim and the arbitration process was painful even though it was a no-brainer in terms of the driver at fault.
Progressive was a great experience-I just called and dove in to their service center to drop my car. They have an Enterprise on site and a brand new rental car was waiting for me as I checked in- I just dropped my car keys and got in to the rental that was started and warmed for me, and drove off after signing two pirces of paper. The whole experience took less than 5 minutes.
They took care of everything and called me when the car was ready and later claimed the payment from the other driver's insurance-I did not have to worry about a thing!
Insurance companies such as E-surance are great if you don't have to file a claim but they [stink --admin LadyGeek] in the rare event that you have one. I dropped them immediately after my claim which may have been their intention anyway.
meowcat

Post by meowcat »

Keep in mind that coverage isn't the only thing to think about when shopping for insurance. Regardless of the coverage required, there are good insurance companies and there are bad insurance companies. The good ones will pay the repair facility whatever amount it takes to repair your car correctly, the bad ones will not.
What the bold print givith, the fine print taketh away. | -meowcat
ObliviousInvestor

Post by ObliviousInvestor »

I used Esurance for several years (though I switched to GEICO a few years back when, for whatever reason, their policies became less expensive for me).

I had two claims with Esurance during that time. Neither one was a problem at all.
Mike Piper | Roth is a name, not an acronym. If you type ROTH, you're just yelling about retirement accounts.
tweeter

Post by tweeter »

I've had Esurance for several years and they are great. Easy to get in touch with on the phone and good online account management. I have not noticed any difference in service or rates since the Allstate buyout. I have never had to file a claim so I cannot attest to their abilities there. I too had they same experience with Esurance when shopping for quotes. They were/are 40% lower than the next nearest competitor. We must fit in their risk pool real well. Are you married, in your 30's with no tickets or accidents?

I have heard rumblings on the net about them offering a great rate for the first 6 months and then juicing it up. However, I have not had that experience with them.
og15F1

Post by og15F1 »

stoptothink wrote:I have had Esurance for about the past 3yrs. Never had to file a claim, but the prices are great.
Same

We formerly used Progressive, then when prices kept going up we switched to a smaller company with an agent I'm friends with, and when those prices kept getting too high we got esurance. So far so good?
Chan_va

Post by Chan_va »

Folks,

Reanimating this thread. Am considering esurance as their auto quote is half of my current state farm quote.

1. Any other folks with claims experience with esurance?
2. How about experience with their home and umbrella insurance?
Shredder

Post by Shredder »

meowcat wrote:Keep in mind that coverage isn't the only thing to think about when shopping for insurance. Regardless of the coverage required, there are good insurance companies and there are bad insurance companies. The good ones will pay the repair facility whatever amount it takes to repair your car correctly, the bad ones will not.
Every insurance company's policy is to repair the vehicle to it's pre-loss condition. If they don't pay for something it's because it's unrelated or unreasonable. Esurance is backed by All State. They are not a fly by night company but I do agree that there is more than price to consider. Perhaps my confidence comes from working insurance for the past ~ 8 years. You have to know your policy and your rights and to have the confidence to assert yourself if needed.

I switched from Progressive and dropped my premium for 2 new cars from $1084 to $530 with the same coverage 12 months ago.

I had my parents quote and they got a higher rate - however they have an accident within the 3 year experience period. Apparently Taylor is not their target customer :)
nanoanalyzer

Post by nanoanalyzer »

Esurance customer here. They roped me in with a 40-50% lower premium than anyone else, including group rates at Metlife, Geico, and Liberty Mutual. Lost a lot of my introductory discounts after the first year, but premiums are still 30-40% less than other places.

Home/renters is through Homesite, which is the same partner that Geico uses, but the coverage is better (additional riders included free) and rates much lower through Esurance.
"If you think stocks are like physics, you believe there must be smart people who can measure exactly where the Dow Jones Industrial Average will be in five months." -Morgan Housel
lostinjersey

Post by lostinjersey »

I have had Esurance for a few years now, mostly because they are the cheapest I could find. I filed my first claim a couple months ago (not my fault, I was rear ended on the freeway by a hit-and-run driver). The entire claims process was extremely straightforward and painless, much better than any other claim I've filed. I took my car to a highly rated body shop in my town, which also happened to be an Esurance "direct repair" shop. The shop and Esurance coordinated my repairs beautifully - timelines were tightly adhered to, everything was seamless from the estimate to the payment, and the shop took care of everything for me. On the day I picked up my car, I wrote a check for the deductible and Esurance had already paid the rest of the bill. And I was separately contacted by an Esurance medical adjuster; since I had uninsured motorist bodily injury coverage, they provided me with some additional compensation for pain and suffering and a few months of chiro/massage treatment.

I felt like Esurance went above and beyond to make this headache as painless as could be, and I'll definitely take this experience into account when I'm shopping for car insurance in the future. It would take a pretty big difference in price to make me leave.
ArthurO

Post by ArthurO »

this thread made me look at insurance rates, well Geico will save me 200 over 6 months, maybe because i got recently married and had accident just over 3 years ago, I got quotes from them previously and it was 400 more every 6 months comaring to Ameriprise through COSTCO discount,

I will be renewing with GEICO when time comes, again BOGLEHEADS saved me money...
meowcat

Post by meowcat »

Shredder wrote:
meowcat wrote:Keep in mind that coverage isn't the only thing to think about when shopping for insurance. Regardless of the coverage required, there are good insurance companies and there are bad insurance companies. The good ones will pay the repair facility whatever amount it takes to repair your car correctly, the bad ones will not.
Every insurance company's policy is to repair the vehicle to it's pre-loss condition. If they don't pay for something it's because it's unrelated or unreasonable. Esurance is backed by All State. They are not a fly by night company but I do agree that there is more than price to consider. Perhaps my confidence comes from working insurance for the past ~ 8 years. You have to know your policy and your rights and to have the confidence to assert yourself if needed.
I've worked in the automotive industry for the past 30 years. I've worked closely with insurance companies and adjusters in a collision repair facility. Here's a bit of info that most people don't know: Body shops don't repair cars, insurance companies do. The insurance company dictates to the body shop how your car gets repaired and how much they'll pay to repair it. Geico, for example, will only pay the bare minimum to repair a car as cheaply and quickly as humanly possible. They will use garbage aftermarket Chinese parts on brand new cars. They will argue with the shop over proper repair times and paint work. Many shops won't even take a Geico claim because they refuse to pay for a proper repair. If your car was not fixed properly at your shop It's more likely the fault of the insurance company, not the repair facility. I've seen cars repaired by Geico that were unsafe to leave the shop. A good insurance company, (USAA, Amica) will pretty much hand the shop of your choice a blank check and say "fix the car properly"
Pre-loss condition? That's a joke. Anyone with experience knows that is an impossibility. Will your insurance company pay for diminished value of a repaired car? Geico won't. A good insurance company will.
What the bold print givith, the fine print taketh away. | -meowcat
rke7747

Post by rke7747 »

Yea I had esurance for a short while after geico. Geico raised my insurance 30 dollars in one month for no reason. Said they had to cover cost. I cancelled and went to all state and the sent me to esurance. Good at first, 61 dollars a month.3rd month they say my renewal was coming up in august but they wanted to charge me in july, 111. 00 dollars and every month after that 107.00 dollars a month. I got new insurance and esurance reported to my dmv that I didn't have any insurance when in fact I did. No problem there, my agent just wired dmv and no problem. Stay away from esurance. I have never filed an insurance claim except for towing, so the cost should be for those that have.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Welcome! This thread is from 2014. You may be interested in this one: Longtime Insurance Customers Get Ripped [overcharged]
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.