Staying in same company for long - any benefits?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills

Staying in same company for long - any benefits?

Postby markenx » Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:40 am

Hey folks, looking for some opinions from your life experience.

I'm my MegaCorporation job, I'm fairly happy due to the excellent people I work with (both coworkers and boss), but I've been with my current team for 3+ years and the work itself is slowly getting old and growth (both professional and personal) is reducing.

I can either stay with the same company for no objective benefits (same salary, similar job growth expectations unless I move radically, etc.) vs change company (possibly more money, new skill sets, culture) but lose the "years" on the company and possibly piss off my boss whom I respect - he always tells me he can help me get a position where I'm happy inside of the company.

Any opinions on changing jobs / moving diagonally vs staying somewhere where you're fairly happy until you're tired of it all? Is there a benefit of staying with the same company for a long time? No pensions or any special bonuses.
markenx

Re: Staying in same company for long - any benefits?

Postby soaring » Fri Jul 26, 2013 5:31 am

Personally I would place high importance on job satisfaction and good people to work with and for. Less life pressures is a good thing IMO. However if significantly higher wages and/or opportunity for much bigger growth in the future, well then maybe money wins and you move on hunting that.

It isn't for everyone but I"m glad I worked in so few places...15 yrs, 3 yrs, 26 yrs. In the end, my opinion is that I'm where I am because I stayed put but then my boss became CEO and I benefited from her commitment to me. Of course with so little commitment by most companies & mgmt toward employees / customers in this (IMO) cut throat new world of globalization staying put may no longer prove of value in the long run.
Desiderata
soaring

Postby SpringMan » Fri Jul 26, 2013 5:57 am

The answer depends on many variables. The economy or specifically the job market for one. If your company provides a retirement pension for those that stay with them is another. Getting along with coworkers and boss is important too. Only you (and family) can decide whether you stay or move on, assuming you have an opportunity to do so. Sometimes the devil you know is better than the devil you don't know. Also consider many benefit promises are being broken these days.
Best Wishes, SpringMan
SpringMan

Postby TheOscarGuy » Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:09 am

markenx wrote:Hey folks, looking for some opinions from your life experience.

I'm my MegaCorporation job, I'm fairly happy due to the excellent people I work with (both coworkers and boss), but I've been with my current team for 3+ years and the work itself is slowly getting old and growth (both professional and personal) is reducing.

I can either stay with the same company for no objective benefits (same salary, similar job growth expectations unless I move radically, etc.) vs change company (possibly more money, new skill sets, culture) but lose the "years" on the company and possibly piss off my boss whom I respect - he always tells me he can help me get a position where I'm happy inside of the company.

Any opinions on changing jobs / moving diagonally vs staying somewhere where you're fairly happy until you're tired of it all? Is there a benefit of staying with the same company for a long time? No pensions or any special bonuses.

If you think the growth is reducing, while the Boss has spelled out that he will help you get a position where you are happy inside of the company, why not ask him informally when is that likely going to happen? Clearly the work environment plays a role, and how good your peers are matters a lot. But if you feel you are getting "stuck" or not being challlenged enough (assuming that is one of the bigger things in a job you look for), unless something changes in your company, you move.

If you think you are not growing, and you personally place a premium on that, you should move. There is no point sticking with the same company long term if you have plateaued there. Sure you will probably get more vacation days (some companies do that, increase yearly vacations allowed after certain time within the organization), and other small benefits, but in the longer run, in this situation, you will lose.
TheOscarGuy

Postby nisiprius » Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:28 am

All personal, there can't be any fixed rules, and I can't say what the tradeoffs are between personal satisfaction, comfort, happiness and maximizing income and climbing as high as possible. But of course I do think any recruiter is going to have a bias toward convincing people of the benefits of changing jobs.

My personal experience has been that in my two longer-term jobs there was a sort of "golden period" when I'd been there 5-10 years.

The first few years you are getting started, learning the ropes, getting one or two projects under your belt, and giving your colleagues and supervisors a chance to see who you are.

During the "golden period" you start to get a sort of respect, people start to feel confidence in you, you start to be one of the "go-to" guy. It's a little bit shocking the first time you express an opinion in a meeting and realize that people (including superiors) are actually paying attention.

And this pays off in another way as well. I'm a software engineer, and one of the career puzzles for me is how do you change, how do you get a chance to work with new technology. For me, it has been much easier to do this within an existing job than when changing jobs. When changing jobs, it is hard to get a job programming in XYZ%% when your last job was programming in XYZ@. You do the tap-dance about "Well, no, technically speaking I guess I've never actually programmed in XYZ at-sign, but the basic concepts are the same and I'm sure I could pick it up quickly" and the interview mumbles something about hitting the ground running and the stack of résumés he has from candidates who know XYZ%%.

But at a company where they trust you, if they need something done and you say "I think I can do that," they may give you a shot.

(Maybe I should say a word about company culture. The two jobs I stayed at >10 years were medium-sized companies, the bosses themselves seemed to have relatively stable positions themselves, and it was fairly clear that they put a value on long service--one of them had monthly company meetings and always spent a couple of minutes naming people who'd reached 5, 10, 15, 20, and sometimes longer anniversaries with the company. It's hard to reach the point where supervisors have known you for years if you have a new boss every year).
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
nisiprius
Advisory Board

Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Postby IlliniDave » Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:42 am

markenx wrote:Hey folks, looking for some opinions from your life experience.

I'm still with the same large company that hired me out of college (26+ years now). They then paid for my graduate studies. On balance it's been pretty rewarding to have "stayed the course". Growth has been irregular but steadily upward over the long haul (salary and opportunities occasionally plateau, but then spurt ahead for a time) . To me a substantial benefit to long service has been the defined benefit retirement accrual, which begins to ramp up more quickly at the intersection of greater age and greater service time (granted my company may not be representative in that regard). So something I dismissed as trivial when I was 25-30 is now a cornerstone for early retirement, and wouldn't be if I was a routine job hopper (the "record" I've seen through interviewing potential candidates is 15 employers in a 24 year professional career!).

I've found progression in my one-company "career" as well as my job satisfaction are driven by my attitude and what I make out of the various situations I've encountered. Could I be making more money if I'd employed some strategic job-hopping? Almost certainly. Would I be happier and more satisfied? Dunno. But I'm content enough I don't bother to worry about it, which in-and-of itself is a great benefit.

In your case it appears your company does not offer what I've found to be the biggest financial reward (pension plan). So I really can't offer much of an opinion other than to say if you're happy then there's really no reason to leave. There's more to life than maximizing income, and a stressful, miserable job will erode all facets of life. There's no shame in finding a good enough situation and sticking with it. However, there's also nothing wrong with keeping an eye open for new opportunities that may be more rewarding financially or otherwise. Don't leave because you think you should, only leave when and if you really want to.
Don't do something. Just stand there!
IlliniDave

Postby johnep » Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:06 am

It sounds as if you are more focused on job satisfaction right now which is ok for short term. However, I suggest you have a long term career plan. What is the ultimate position that you want and what are the intermediate steps to achieve that goal. That should help you determine the path for your long term goal and whether or not your current employer can help you achieve it. If you think they can, IMO, that is a better option than switching employers.

Switching employers always has some element of risk. The grass is not always greener and you do not find that out until it is too late. Conversely, it may also have greater rewards in terms of pay, benefits, experience and job satisfaction. Best wishes.
johnep

Postby Bob.Beeman » Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:07 am

I started working with an engineering company (Telecom and Computers) in 1967, right out of college. I worked there through several corporate buyouts until 2003, when the division ran out of money (the parent corporation was OK). The work was interesting and challenging and in the course of my career I was the inventor on 17 US and numerous foreign patents. The benefits were very generous, and between rolling over my pension and my 401K into my Vanguard IRA I am in pretty good shape.

Remember that this was in a very different era. Companies actually valued employees for their skills and work ethic then. I doubt that this is true any more. Also, despite the interesting work, I probably wouldn't pick Engineering as a career if I had it to do over again, because of what I perceive to be rampant age discrimination and the resulting diminished likely career duration.

That being said, I am now a full-time sub at a local High School, and enjoy this very much. I do a lot of engineering type work there as the computers are all old and they don't have an adequate budget for either tech support or replacement of their 10-year-old computers. As far as actual sub duty I am officially assigned to Special Education, but am a volunteer coach for the Algebra II part of the Math team. Pay is $12.56 per hour now, but I love the job and thanks to my former career and the Boglehead philosophy, I really don't care how much I make any more. I consider that being in my first High-School play at the age of 67 and seeing our kids win trophies at Math competitions is part of my pay.

So is there a lesson in this? I don't know. But its my experience.

- Bob Beeman
Bob.Beeman

Postby scrabbler1 » Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:08 am

I had only 1 job after college which I kept for 23 years before I retired early in late 2008. Being there that long enabled me to build up a lot of leverage so I could switch to working part-time and get a mostly telecommute deal for about 2 years before the telecommute deal went away but the part-time part stuck around. By possessing a combination of very unique skills and knowledge in my first 16 years I knew I had become pretty much indispensible so if my bosses knew a way they could keep me from leaving they did as much as they could within company rules to do so.

This benefit was in addition to other benefits of being there a long time such as increased vacation time after 5 and 15 years, the buildup of a pension benefit although that was frozen after my 16th year (coincidentally my last full-time working year), and being eligible for the company stock program the whole time I was there (starting in my 12th year). My years of peak earnings and when the stock allocation was the most generous overlapped well, followed by several years of exploding stock value were very helpful to my being able to retire early.
scrabbler1

Postby Default User BR » Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:18 am

One of the things MegaCorps can frequently offer is opportunity to change what you're doing. Look into possibilities to move to a different group by internal rotation. Talk to HR and see what kind of mechanisms are in place. I went from Electronics Engineer to Software Engineer.

As others mentioned, you might see if there is a educational program. I received two MS degrees on the MyMegaCorp dime. Taking challenging graduate courses can help relieve that boredom.

Brian
Default User BR

Postby SGM » Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:51 pm

When I worked for a mega-corporation, I told my bosses what my job responsibilities should be (within reason). I saw a lot of waste, fear and ignorance in the corporation and convinced my superiors a change in the culture was necessary. I travelled around the world teaching technicians and engineers. When I left for a third career, I found an individual, working 3000 miles away, I had worked with in the past who had similar skills and training and convinced him to take over my job. He did and retired at the top level in the technical ladder, as a senior staff engineer. And he continued working in the same position and in the same vein. The company actually hired me for a few hours while I was in school to help develop an additional training course from my den, and it was the highest paid 100 hours I ever had as it vested me in a pension and in the company stock they had bought for me earlier.

I never stayed all that long with a job, because I was always willing and able to increase my training and I had significant improvements in income and savings with each move. The only downside I saw was that pensions are much smaller if you don't stay with a job. So I have had to take more responsibility for my retirement than those with large pensions. It is not a problem for me, but could be for many. If I did not have the opportunity for multiple degrees, and wonderful new working experiences, I would have stayed with the mega-corporation until retirement.
"Let us endeavor, so to live, that when we die, even the undertaker will be sorry." Mark Twain
SGM

Postby Steady59 » Fri Jul 26, 2013 3:05 pm

I've worked for the same company for 29 years and will most likely retire from there. Its been a terrific experience for most of those years, 25 of which I worked 12 hour days and loved almost every minute of it. I looked forward to going to work.

If I did it again or was asked for advice by a young person, I would suggest the following:

First off, do what you like. Its critical that the work you do is fulfilling. Nothing is worse than going to a job you hate even if the money is good
    Bounce around a little bit to get different work and work environment perspectives and experiences
    Own your career and take ownership for your training
    Network with others in your field to keep your name out there
    Most importantly, make sure to have a mentor or 2 to give you guidance, suggestions and that push you might need every once in awhile
Its all about keeping your options open but in the end, its about doing what you like. Company leadership/ownership can change, bosses may leave, you can get passed by, etc. all of which can derail your career in a day. And don't stay just to count on a pension or benefits package despite what the company is offering. Those can be changed or easily reduced.
Steady59

Postby 02sbxstr » Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:03 pm

Hmm ... worked for 3+ years and the work is getting old already? You have barely got your feet wet at this point. I retired from my MegaCorp last year after 40 years -- initially working on the technical side developing advanced jet engine technologies and subsequently managing the development projects. All very interesting and never a dull moment. My wife had a similar career in the insurance industry. We followed 4 rules that are not of our making -- I'm not sure where they originated -- but have left us with a very comfortable retirement:

1. Live below your means and save much of your pay
2. Get a job and stay with it
3. Get married and stay married
4. Buy a house and stay in it (see #1)

Good luck
02sbxstr

Postby markenx » Sat Jul 27, 2013 5:20 pm

Thanks all for the insights! Very interesting and I can see some people have the experience in my field (sw development).

I'm happy where I am but can see me platea'ing in the near future since the learning curve of the job is diminishing and I feel my area is not as important for the company as a whole as other areas. Hence I may want to move around, looking for new challenges.

One of the biggests things I noticed was the "go to guy". I definitely start feeling t at my job, but if I switch teams inside the company I will probably lose thatpart of it anyway. Hence my doubt of the benefit of staying in the same company for long other than the extra vacation days since I would already do something different with the risks associated with that, without a salary bump/sign in bonus.
markenx

Postby ieee488 » Sat Jul 27, 2013 6:18 pm

I have had 9 employers since I graduated college.
No pension except for the 5+ years I had with Motorola, but I am not sure I can count on that.
No regrets. Because it was what I wanted.

I am glad I lived the Boglehead way even before I knew about it. A saver because of my immigrant parents.

My worst financial decision was to get a MS by quitting my job and going back to school fulltime and paying out-of-state tuition.
I figured that cost me $250,000.
Dell Precision M6300 (Ubuntu Linux 12.04 + Windows 7), Dell Precision M6300 (Windows 7), Dell Latitude D530 (Windows Vista), Dell Latitude D531 (Windows Vista)
ieee488

Postby curmudgeon » Sat Jul 27, 2013 10:31 pm

I've jumped around a number of jobs in the tech industry. Only the first had a pension, and they closed that before I vested. I've tended to stick with jobs at least 5 years unless it was a bad fit/bad company (can be hard to tell ahead of time). If you want to try the startup route, you'll have to make the jump at some point anyway. Given the churn in the tech industry, you need to be re-inventing yourself every few years anyway. Even if you stick with a job, the company may not stick around, or stay in the field you are working in. Half of the companies I left are either out of business, or bear no resemblance to the place I worked. I've done pretty well by the shifting; the only one I mildely regret not sticking with is the first one.
curmudgeon

Postby joe8d » Sat Jul 27, 2013 10:53 pm

02sbxstr wrote:Hmm ... worked for 3+ years and the work is getting old already? You have barely got your feet wet at this point. I retired from my MegaCorp last year after 40 years -- initially working on the technical side developing advanced jet engine technologies and subsequently managing the development projects. All very interesting and never a dull moment. My wife had a similar career in the insurance industry. We followed 4 rules that are not of our making -- I'm not sure where they originated -- but have left us with a very comfortable retirement:

1. Live below your means and save much of your pay
2. Get a job and stay with it
3. Get married and stay married
4. Buy a house and stay in it (see #1)

Good luck

:thumbsup . Good advice. I was with the same company for 42 years.They had to close it to get rid of me :happy . I have now just completed 7 years on my P/T retirement job.
All the Best, | Joe
joe8d

Postby HomerJ » Sun Jul 28, 2013 2:29 am

I switch jobs every 5 years like clockwork.

Not intentionally... it just seems that's when I've got everything working smoothly, and there's less to learn. Plus that's how I've gotten very good pay raises too... usually jumping 20%-30% every time I switched companies.

My current company is very good though (great benefits, and they even have a pension), and I'm not going to be able to get a big pay raise if I move again (I'm near the top of the my profession's pay range for this area), so I plan to stay here if I can until I retire (in 11-15 years).

I always enjoyed switching jobs though... New challenges, new people, new ways to attack problems, new perspectives. In my line of work (IT systems admin), I can be the go-to guy within a couple of months of starting a new job. I've built up a ton of scripts over the years, and I love walking into a new place, and being able to fix a problem on 1000 servers using a script I've already written...
HomerJ

Postby Call_Me_Op » Sun Jul 28, 2013 9:08 am

ieee488 wrote:My worst financial decision was to get a MS by quitting my job and going back to school fulltime and paying out-of-state tuition.

Doing it on the company's nickel was one of my best decisions.

BTW, I have been with my company for 30 years and love it. There are periods where you need to "take one for the team", but over time you should hopefully work many interesting projects. I am an electrical engineer.
Best regards, -Op | | "In the middle of difficulty lies opportunity." Einstein
Call_Me_Op

Postby ieee488 » Sun Jul 28, 2013 9:36 am

Call_Me_Op wrote:
ieee488 wrote:My worst financial decision was to get a MS by quitting my job and going back to school fulltime and paying out-of-state tuition.

Doing it on the company's nickel was one of my best decisions.

BTW, I have been with my company for 30 years and love it. There are periods where you need to "take one for the team", but over time you should hopefully work many interesting projects. I am an electrical engineer.

When I wrote it cost me $250,000, I meant in today's dollars if I had saved my money for that endeavor and let it compound for the past 25 years.
Dell Precision M6300 (Ubuntu Linux 12.04 + Windows 7), Dell Precision M6300 (Windows 7), Dell Latitude D530 (Windows Vista), Dell Latitude D531 (Windows Vista)
ieee488

Postby XtremeSki2001 » Sun Jul 28, 2013 10:48 am

If I'm not growing, I'm going. Usually in large Corporations you can post to other departments where you can grow.
A box of rain will ease the pain and love will see you through
XtremeSki2001

Postby Default User BR » Sun Jul 28, 2013 11:36 am

markenx wrote:One of the biggests things I noticed was the "go to guy". I definitely start feeling t at my job, but if I switch teams inside the company I will probably lose thatpart of it anyway.

If you know your stuff, you'll be back to that stage in no time. Software is one of those areas where there are lot of fakers, so if you really can do it you'll be known.

Brian
Default User BR

Postby Call_Me_Op » Sun Jul 28, 2013 11:57 am

ieee488 wrote:When I wrote it cost me $250,000, I meant in today's dollars if I had saved my money for that endeavor and let it compound for the past 25 years.

Are you sure you have no salary increases as a result of your advanced degree? I would think this is very hard to assess.
Best regards, -Op | | "In the middle of difficulty lies opportunity." Einstein
Call_Me_Op

Postby tom0153 » Sun Jul 28, 2013 1:38 pm

Are there any benefits that are on a vesting schedule, where they are not fully your own until 5 years, 7, etc?

You also seem to have a mentor in your boss. You want to avoid pissing him off. You want him to recommend you, should you decide to leave, or remain supportive in your professional circle. If this is so, then I'd bring your job dissatisfaction to him before taking any leap.
Best, Tom
tom0153

Postby Stonebr » Sun Jul 28, 2013 9:04 pm

Depends somewhat on the management at your current job. If it's generally good, there's something to be said for staying put. There are a lot of dysfunctional managers out there in the big bad world -- some real psychos. Sometimes the "better job" turns out to be a nightmare.

I stayed in one place for 30 years and suffered lost "opportunities" but noticed that my more venturesome friends often went from the frying pan to the fire. Long tenure at Megacorp is a rarity today. It has its benefits, but only if you and your management are a good fit already.
"have more than thou showest, | speak less than thou knowest" -- The Fool in King Lear
Stonebr

Postby wacobay » Sun Jul 28, 2013 10:02 pm

I always found real benefit in staying in one job(school in my case as i was a teacher,guidance counselor). The advantages of staying a long time in one school(job) were I had learned my job well and felt confident I was performing a real service, a good relationship ,confidence and trust had developed with my colleagues, and liking your boss(principal) was a huge factor. However as I learned, the boss could always retire, move on, or be replaced and that could sometimes change the entire culture. Good luck with your decision.
wacobay

Postby Watty » Sun Jul 28, 2013 11:02 pm

One advantage of large companies is that they often have locations around the country or around the world. You might consider working overseas for a few years or relocating to a more desirable location in the US with your current company.

markenx wrote:Thanks all for the insights! Very interesting and I can see some people have the experience in my field (sw development)..

I'm a computer programmer that and I'm near retirement. I've worked for the same company for almost 25 years now but realistically I've done three or four different jobs while working for them.

What I've noticed over the years is that in a software development career you your skill are only really good for a short time since the technology is always changing.

In software development you really need to do some combination of;

1) Stay technical and reinvent yourself every ten years or so and make the transition to each wave of new technology and stay on the cutting edge.

I would guess that no more that 50% of the technical people I have known have made the transition the next technology. You will likely need to make the transition three or four times in your career if you stay strictly technical and that is very rare. For reference, technical people retiring today started out well before PC's when pocket calculators were just becoming common. You can expect similar changes over your career.

As you get more senior this is also gets harder to do even if you are capable of learning the new skills your pay level with a couple of decades of experience make you worth a lot on the last generation of technology but when you go to the next generation of technology you are competing against people right out of college that are earning half your salary.

2) Move from being a techie to being an analyst that is an expert in a field that can work on whatever technical platform makes sense in the future.

3) Move into management

Some people just do not have the right personality to be in management and one risk with this is that I have seen people try to move to management and after several years they have lost their technical skills and they are pretty unemployable as managers.

4) Find a niche when you are in your 40's or so that will last you until your retire.

This used to be easier and if you look at someplace like dice.com you will still see a reasonable number of jobs for things like Cobol programmers. Picking which skills will be needed for several decades is hard to do.

It would be good to think through how you see your career developing before you take a similar job at a different company. It may be easier to make some of the transitions that I mentioned if you stay with the same large company and are being treated well.
Watty

Postby Jazztonight » Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:07 am

I'll add a couple of different insights from my 30 years with one employer:

1. The known evil is better than the unknown evil. After being at my company for 5 or 10 years, I realized that I knew the "personality" and traits of not only the owner, but the personality of the company that he founded and ran. He was charismatic and could be very generous, but he could also be very paranoid, and that paranoia ran like a thread through the corporate structure, and still does even though he's not running it anymore (his daughter does--the apple did not fall far from the tree). Knowing what I knew, I could act and react in appropriate ways as necessary. No one bothered me, really.

2. I am a health professional/provider, and when I looked around at the other places I could work, I always decided that they might better for a while, but then they wouldn't; I'd be back where I was with the same issues and same difficulties, just with a new set of supervisors and staff. So I stayed put.

3. After you stay at one company for a long time, you become part of the structure of the organization, and often gain respect and a bit of a reputation. Your own personality and quirks become more acceptable because you've been there a while. You often become the go-to person yourself, and have the opportunity to mentor and advise others. You can actually have a say in how things are run, and your can often really make a difference. I know I stepped up to the plate many times to design certain procedures and make things run more smoothly because I knew the operation from the ground up.

4. When you stay around for a while, you often gain "elder statesman" status, and can be put in charge or promoted when they need someone whom they can "trust." I became president of a division for several years (with a raise) because of work I'd done in getting ready for the project. That raise pretty much paid for college for my two kids! Then I went back to my previous role and salary, and didn't mind the reduction in responsibility, stress, and income.

5. You become trusted. A few years back, we had a district supervisor (he was a doctor, too) who was a slug. A smart slug, but a real "Dilbert" type boss. At one point when I could no longer stand the kind of stuff he was doing, I made a phone call to the person running the company. Two or three months later, the supervisor was gone. Gone with the wind. He didn't know what hit him. It was I who did the deed. A lot of people, particularly women, were very happy that he was gone. The higher-ups trusted my judgement and trusted me because of my longevity with the company.

6. You can have leverage and bargaining power. Thirteen years ago, I wanted to semi-retire (I was in my early 50s). I couldn't completely retire, but I needed a change, and wanted to get a degree in a different field (music). I was able to negotiate a reduction in days worked and salary--I worked 2 days a week at 40% of my salary, a perfectly acceptable deal. I did that for 13 years, and retired last week. There's no pension, the 401k program was terrible and I pulled my money out as soon as I could and put it into a conventional IRA at Vanguard. (By the way, I got the degree, and music is what I will do in my retirement years.)

If I'd worked somewhere else, I might have more money or a pension or who knows what. But I'm happy with the career I had there, and the company and I owe each other nothing. People who knew me were sad to see me go.

7. A career serves several purposes. I looked at it as a way to practice my profession the best I could, and to make enough to send my children to college, buy a nice home in a place where I wanted to live, travel (I've seen Paris, etc.), and live a comfortable middle/upper-middle class life. I have no regrets.

I hope you find the answer to your questions. Good luck!
"What does not destroy me, makes me stronger." Nietzsche
Jazztonight

Return to Personal Finance (Not Investing)