Should I quit my freelance job?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills

Should I quit my freelance job?

Postby sunnyday » Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:12 pm

I have a full-time W2 job and also do some work as a 1099 contractor. I'm happy with my hourly rate -- it's equal to my W2 salary divided by 1,000. I've worked for one company for 6 years and have a good relationship with them. However, the consistency of the work has been decreasing. This year I'm on pace to make 8% of my W2 job from them (only 4% of mine + my wife's salary). It's easy work but I don't like the feeling of being "on-call". I raised my freelance rate a decent amount at the beginning of the year, so it's probably a little quick to raise it again.
Right now I'm leaning towards giving my notice -- what's a good way to do so. I'll probably give 2-4 weeks and mention that I know of a person and a couple companies that may be interested in the work.
Or is there a better option to consider? Could I charge a monthly fee to be on call or something to raise the amount I'll make this year to make it worthwhile?
sunnyday

Re: Should I quit my freelance job?

Postby pennstater2005 » Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:27 pm

Do you have any desire to continue with this work? Do you need any of the income from this freelance job?
My fake plants died because I did not pretend to water them. Mitch Hedberg
pennstater2005

Re: Should I quit my freelance job?

Postby sunnyday » Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:50 pm

pennstater2005 wrote:Do you have any desire to continue with this work? Do you need any of the income from this freelance job?

No and no. So it seems like I should quit. I think part of it the feeling of security that the extra money gives, and the feeling that I'm giving up easy income. But I also value my time and a good work life balance
sunnyday

Return to Personal Finance (Not Investing)