Asset protection and annuities/life insurance?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills

Asset protection and annuities/life insurance?

Postby newbogleb » Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:33 am

Having read the wiki about Asset protection and some posts about annuities/life insurance I was a bit confused.

* To take an example from a wiki: suppose I hire someone to help me garden, and they get injured. Then I get sued. The amount exceeds my home owners/umbrella insurance policies. It's not covered by a malpractice policy.
* Another example: I start a small business. Suppose a super dissatisfied customer sues me.
In both cases the judge agrees with the other person and I'm asked to fork over my life savings. (Note in real life neither happened).

Can one use term life insurance or must one buy the overpriced whole life to have protection (and if so why)?

I wondered how to determine if the costs of annuities/life insurance would be worth it?
newbogleb

Re: Asset protection and annuities/life insurance?

Postby BruDude » Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:00 am

BruDude

Postby newbogleb » Tue Oct 22, 2013 12:16 pm

Does anyone have any personal experience with the lawyers listed on this page? Feel free to PM me.
newbogleb

Postby Taylor Larimore » Tue Oct 22, 2013 12:25 pm

newbogleb wrote:Having read the wiki about Asset protection and some posts about annuities/life insurance I was a bit confused.

* To take an example from a wiki: suppose I hire someone to help me garden, and they get injured. Then I get sued. The amount exceeds my home owners/umbrella insurance policies. It's not covered by a malpractice policy.
* Another example: I start a small business. Suppose a super dissatisfied customer sues me.
In both cases the judge agrees with the other person and I'm asked to fork over my life savings. (Note in real life neither happened).

Can one use term life insurance or must one buy the overpriced whole life to have protection (and if so why)?

I wondered how to determine if the costs of annuities/life insurance would be worth it?

Newbogleb:

Term life insurance and whole life insurance insure someone's life. In the two examples you present, no one dies. Therefore, neither type life insurance offers protection (except maybe the cash value of a whole life policy). Cash is seldom available in annuity policies. Ask an insurance agent about more liability coverage.

Best wishes
Taylor
"Simplicity is the master key to financial success." -- Jack Bogle
Taylor Larimore
Advisory Board

Postby Phineas J. Whoopee » Tue Oct 22, 2013 12:36 pm

newbogleb wrote:Having read the wiki about Asset protection and some posts about annuities/life insurance I was a bit confused.

Its having been resurrected:

The worst-case scenarios are always terrible. There's no way to protect against them fully. Plan and protect against bad-case scenarios instead.

For the gardener: maybe somebody will use that case to make a particular political point, but probably not. Carry enough personal injury liability and umbrella insurance that your insurer will be extraordinarily aggressive in court. Betcha the other party settles instead, and for an amount reasonably fair considering the extent of the injury.

In the case of the side business, buy business liability insurance, and perhaps errors and omissions insurance if it applies in your case. Ditto on the aggressive insurance company and settlement.

There are asset-protection strategies available. If your life savings is big enough, or your future likely income to be garnisheed so large, you may want to look into them. They won't preserve a Miami mansion and NYC, London, and Paris pied-à-terres. But they'll enable you and your family to meet essential living expenses.

Now, I wrote not to try to fully protect against worst-case scenarios, but let's address it anyway. Buy life insurance, as you said.

PJW
Phineas J. Whoopee

Return to Personal Finance (Not Investing)