Gross Expense Ratio v. Net Asset fees

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.

Gross Expense Ratio v. Net Asset fees

Postby gsgarcia1 » Sat Jun 29, 2013 12:54 pm

I just need a quick double check on something, please.

I am helping my father in law with consolidating his two 403b's and one 457 into a simpler plan, likely with VG. One of his 403b's is administered by Nationwide and I want to make sure I am reading this correctly:

American Funds Growth Fund American R5 (RGAFX)
Gross Expense Ratio: .39% (not bad)
Net Asset Fee: 1.19 %
YTD performance (as of 12/31/2012): 19.32 %

1)Am I correct in essentially combining both the Gross Expense Ration and the Net asset fee (total of 1.58%) and then subtracting that from the YTD performance to get the true performance % (17.74%)?

Second check:
2)True or False: The Gross expense ratio is charged by American funds to administer that particular fund ?

-and -

3) The Net Asset Fee is charged by Nationwide for their administering that fund as part of the 403b plan?

Thank you

Gabe
gsgarcia1

Re: Gross Expense Ratio v. Net Asset fees

Postby grabiner » Sat Jun 29, 2013 11:49 pm

gsgarcia1 wrote:I just need a quick double check on something, please.

I am helping my father in law with consolidating his two 403b's and one 457 into a simpler plan, likely with VG. One of his 403b's is administered by Nationwide and I want to make sure I am reading this correctly:

American Funds Growth Fund American R5 (RGAFX)
Gross Expense Ratio: .39% (not bad)
Net Asset Fee: 1.19 %
YTD performance (as of 12/31/2012): 19.32 %

The .39% expense ratio is already included in the return (and Morningstar confirms that this is the expense ratio). I'm not sure whether the 1.19% is included, but I would expect that it is not, as the return would be the return reported by American Funds.

Morningstar says that the fund has a 20.92% return in 2012, which would be 19.48% after a 1.19% fee.

Regardless of how returns are calulated, the fee is the 0.39% cost imposed by American plus the 1.19% imposed by the plan provider, and that is 1.48%.
2)True or False: The Gross expense ratio is charged by American funds to administer that particular fund ?

3) The Net Asset Fee is charged by Nationwide for their administering that fund as part of the 403b plan?

These are both correct.
David Grabiner
grabiner
Advisory Board

Return to Investing - Help with Personal Investments