NJ auto insurance - personal injury protection selection

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills

NJ auto insurance - personal injury protection selection

Postby ieee488 » Fri Jun 28, 2013 6:26 pm

My mom just moved to NJ.
Her primary medical insurance is Medicare with supplemental of United Healthcare.

Per the state of NJ website http://www.state.nj.us/dobi/division_co ... option.htm
my mom cannot choose Medicare to be the primary coverage on PIP.

We have decided to pay about $200 her to have the auto insurance policy provide the primary coverage.

Does anyone have experience with this?
ieee488

Re: NJ auto insurance - personal injury protection selection

Postby Calm Man » Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:59 pm

Without being a wise guy, I am a New Jersey resident with a post-graduate degree from an Ivy league university. I cannot understand PIP medical options. I have GEICO as an insurer and basically told thme what medical insurance I have and trsuted them to advise me properly. The system is absolutely insane but tell your mother that we who call New Jersey our home really do love it. We have 4 seasons and all sorts of things to do (seriously) and we tend to stay.
Calm Man

Postby ieee488 » Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:27 pm

I have Amica so Amica advised my mom to get the primary PIP through the auto insurance, so that is what we did.

Right now PIP is maxed out at $250,000.

Is that what you have?
ieee488

Postby Calm Man » Sat Jun 29, 2013 4:34 pm

Yes. My company medical policy (now retiree) requires the auto to be primary. It's not all that much anyway so don't sweat it.
Calm Man

Postby ieee488 » Sat Jun 29, 2013 6:01 pm

So, you are retired but not eligible for Medicare yet?
ieee488

Return to Personal Finance (Not Investing)