Help create a Financial Presentation: Calling all Bogleheads

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills

Re: Help create a Financial Presentation: Calling all Bogleh

Postby 6miths » Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:39 pm

This looks like a great undertaking. Does anyone think that there would be a critical mass of people interested who would also be in attendance at the next Bogleheads Conference to sit down face to face and review what has been put forward and try to help things along. It could be during some of the spare time available at the conference if there is enough interest.
'It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so!' Mark Twain
6miths

Postby Nords » Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:55 pm

Here's a classic cautionary post by J.D. Roth of GetRichSlowly.org on why financial literacy fails:
http://www.getrichslowly.org/blog/2011/12/07/why-financial-literacy-fails-and-what-to-do-about-it/

Instead of teaching Americans about credit cards and rates of return, we need to be teaching them about behavioral finance.

The Bottom Line:
Ultimately, if we want Americans to be smarter with their money, we need to encourage them to consume less media — to avoid advertising — and we need to teach them to master the emotional side of personal finance. We need to show them how to change their behavior. We need to appeal to their self-interest. We need to help them find intrinsic motivation to save. That is, each of us needs to dig deep inside to find what it is that’s important to us, what it is that brings us joy, and we need to prioritize that instead of all the other garbage.
(Yes, this is yet again a thinly-veiled pitch for conscious spending. [...] I truly believe conscious spending is the key to getting rich slowly.)

I think financial presentations and seminars are a good idea, because at least one attendee is ready to learn and will have an epiphany. That one guy justifies the effort. However the other 99 in the room will have an initial unfocused enthusiasm that rarely translates to action... until they get tired of their lifestyle and develop that intrinsic motivation to change.

I've certainly seen that issue with military servicemembers & families, and with posters on early retirement forums.
* | * | Please see my profile. I don't read every post, so please PM or e-mail me to get my attention.
Nords

Postby Juniormint » Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:23 pm

LadyGeek wrote:I've incorporated Nords' info. See: Bogleheads® financial literacy project

Juniormint wrote:I would be willing to help and offer assistance. I work at a university and am currently coordinating efforts to create a financial literacy program for the university as a whole.

Do you have any presentations or other material that can be shared?

Does anyone else have something that we can link to from the wiki?

Not at the moment. Of the presentations I do have, the presentations are very general and I mainly use them as a talking point rather than a in-depth explanations of various personal finance topics. So far, my task has been to secure funding, secure the by-in from the university to implement a uniform financial project, ensure it's access and sustainability, and now to actually create the course, implement it, and monitor it.

So far, I've secured a grant to help implement the financial literacy project and have the university by-in, now I'm working on creating a workbook and a web-based course that would be open access to anyone with the link. It's still in the very, very early stages but I'm hoping to build something extremely interactive along the lines of a presentation like this: http://prezi.com/o1uclaxwhoow/turn-on-t ... cionesbiz/

1) To create a prezi/video of why financial education is important and why it should matter to you.
2) Create a workbook
3) Create a web-based course

I like nuerosphere's idea of taking a topic and creating a presentation on it. I can do a budgeting piece.
Juniormint

Postby LadyGeek » Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:15 pm

Nords wrote:Here's a classic cautionary post by J.D. Roth of GetRichSlowly.org on why financial literacy fails:
http://www.getrichslowly.org/blog/2011/12/07/why-financial-literacy-fails-and-what-to-do-about-it/

...I think financial presentations and seminars are a good idea, because at least one attendee is ready to learn and will have an epiphany. That one guy justifies the effort. However the other 99 in the room will have an initial unfocused enthusiasm that rarely translates to action... until they get tired of their lifestyle and develop that intrinsic motivation to change.

I agree, I'm after that person as well.

Juniormint wrote:I like nuerosphere's idea of taking a topic and creating a presentation on it. I can do a budgeting piece.

Thanks.
To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Postby LadyGeek » Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:15 pm

To recap, neurosphere started this thread to help put together a 1 hour presentation targeted at the medical profession to help fend off greedy financial advisors. enderland needs one for young professionals.

The bottom line is that there is a ton of stuff on basic financial literacy, but nothing that promotes the Bogleheads approach in 1 one hour or less. Except, perhaps, where the Bogleheads routinely gather to present and discuss these very topics in a short period of time (2 hours or less).

Where is that? The Bogleheads® Local Chapters meetings. Peter Foley has already provided one he uses for the Minnesota chapter.

To the local chapter members: Would you be willing to post your presentations online? Post the link here and I'll put it in the wiki. Or, PM me and I'll take care of it.
To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Postby neurosphere » Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:25 pm

LadyGeek wrote:To recap, neurosphere started this thread to help put together a 1 hour presentation targeted at the medical profession to help fend off greedy financial advisors. enderland needs one for young professionals.

Just a clarification...although my PERSONAL intent is to create a presentation for medical resident or other medical professionals, I think this project is much more broad than that. 95% of the information which is relevant to physicians is relevant to the general public. In a sense, my "medical professional" is nothing more than a person who is completely ignorant about all things financial (taxes, investing, budgeting, etc), but who happens, in general, to be starting investing late and often time with the promise of a high salary and with high debt. That said, 95% of the information they need is relevant to a broad audience. I.e. what is a stock? What is a bond? How does a 401k work? What about a Roth? How do I know if I am saving enough? Etc.

Thus, when we have focused presentations available on all of these topics, I can mix/match/edit the presentations and topics to tailor them to my audience. However, the basics are the basics. :)
I am not an actor, even though I play one on television.
neurosphere

Postby dianna » Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:41 pm

I'd like to help as I can as well, from the self-employed angle, which I don't see as uniquely represented yet. I will go online to add.

Also, when we developed our IPS, we did so only for the accumulation phase, but recently I've created a second one for the withdrawal phase, in the event that I croak before I get to reap the benefits (hopefully I have communicated what the "live it up!" plan could be). I could make these blind to our specific agenda and share if that would be helpful.

~dianna
dianna

Postby ol_pops » Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:46 pm

How 'bout this:

1) It's about you, your money, and your life. What's not to like?

2) Saving money for retirement is buying your freedom on the installment plan.
ol_pops

Postby Barry Barnitz » Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:13 pm

Hi:

I have created a google drive presentation document for The Bogleheads Investment Philosophy. It is open to the public for editing, so go ahead and fill it in. Slides with tables and charts are more than welcome.

Bogleheads Investment Philosophy - Google Drive

regards,
Image | blb | December Birthday Celebration: Ludwig van Beethoven
Barry Barnitz
Wiki Admin

Postby rocket » Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:26 pm

All the big mutual fund companies have many PP presentations, that are approved by the compliance boys. These presentations are free and good.
rocket

Postby LadyGeek » Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:27 pm

I've incorporated Barry Barnitz's slides and the websites resources so far: Bogleheads® financial literacy project
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Postby LadyGeek » Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:31 pm

zzcooper123 wrote:I would also like to contribute. I have a preliminary PP presentation already if anyone is interested. Very bogleheadish. Maybe more Swedroeon.

indexer wrote:I have developed a practice management lecture series on investing/finances, disability insurance, billing/coding, evaluating a prospective practice etc for anesthesiology residents and fellows. The 'one hour' lectures have been very well received by them. Much of the material for the investing lecture are the basic boglehead philosophies from the wiki and Rick Van Ness's website- http://www.financinglife.org. I also find emergdoc's blog very helpful.
I will be happy to share ideas and contribute.

Can either of you post a link to the presentation(s)?
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Postby neurosphere » Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:16 am

I was given a power point slide set and accompanying handout by NC area Boglehead Steve Thorpe (thanks Steve!), who has given me permission to upload and/or post links to these documents for the purposes of furthering the financial literacy project and developing any associated slide presentations.

This is a complete presentation about "Personal Investing for the Long Term", covering a wide range of topics. It provides one example of how one can organize and put together a talk. This is the google docs link:
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B0JsVeB ... sp=sharing

And here is the link for an accompanying handout:
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B0JsVeB ... sp=sharing

I've put them in the table as you can see here: http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Boglehea ... d_material
neurosphere

Postby neurosphere » Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:39 am

Barry Barnitz wrote:Hi:

I have created a google drive presentation document for The Bogleheads Investment Philosophy. It is open to the public for editing, so go ahead and fill it in. Slides with tables and charts are more than welcome.

Bogleheads Investment Philosophy - Google Drive

regards,

Nice idea, thanks Barry! I really like the approach you take with ultra simple, focused headings. Now we can fill in text/data/graphs for each topic.

This is a good way I think to design slides for ANY teaching environment. Each slide and/or section of a presentation should make a statement, and then use figures or text to back up that statement. The main point to be made should be clear, at the top, as you've done.

I like to go one step further, and don't mind "leading" my audience, and openly admit that I wish to give information but also influence behavior (i.e. live below your means, start saving, do so in low cost ways, etc), with proactive titles.

So the title/heading of a slide might be "High cost investments can destroy your best laid retirement plans" and show a graph illustrating the effect of costs/fees on investment balances. I feel this lets the point sink in better compared to a title such as "Effects of cost on investments". Hit the audience over the head with the summary of the point you are about to illustrate.

Thanks what will be nice about this project. It will provide easy access to basic power point slides for each topic, then can be easily edited by the "end user" to fit his/her personality, style, goals and audience. :D
neurosphere

Postby neurosphere » Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:42 am

I'm trying to gather some material for an 'active vs. passive' comparison. Rick Ferri has an article about the subject here:
http://www.forbes.com/sites/rickferri/2 ... -with-age/

I really like the graph shown on the second page of the article (Figure 4) which he credits to "Bogle Financial Markets Research Center".

Does anyone know how/where I can find the original graph? I went to the johncbogle.com and couldn't find it (but it's not a site which is easy to navigate or search) and also look at the bogle financial markets research center page.

I also really like ferri's analysis done here (figure 1) :http://www.portfoliosolutions.com/index-fund-portfolios-reign-superior/ and wonder if he'll allow me/us to use it.

For now, I intend to use them for personal, non-shared presentations, but...

LadyGeek wrote:I would refrain from using copyrighted material and strongly recommend that you create something similar on your own. You need explicit written permission from the publisher / author to reproduce the material, which usually does not extend to "others" - IOW, If you obtain permission, others can't copy from you... There's also fair-use, but it gets complicated and I'm not a lawyer.

I understand we should avoid copyrighted material in presentations we post and share online for anyone to use access. However, perhaps we CAN get "explicit written permission" for free use of an image/chart here or there from certain folks who know us well and agree with the project (i.e. Rick Ferri, John Bogle, etc).

There are just certain figures/charts which are already created and provide the information in a clear and attractive manner, which I, and likely many others, just don't have the skills to produce something comparable. No offense intended to the Bogleheads© Marketing and Public Relations Department. :)
neurosphere

Postby Peter Foley » Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:40 pm

I could use a second set of eyes from a tax expert. I took some of David Grabiner's material from the Wiki and created a presentation regarding marginal tax rates and tax efficiency. Anyone willing to review it? 17 slides, content as follows:

1. Marginal Tax Rates
a.Rates and Sources of Income
b.Marginal Rates and tax brackets (break points)

2.Accumulation Considerations
a.Advantages of deferred accounts
b.Placement of assets for maximum efficiency

3.Withdrawal Considerations
a.Pre Social Security
b.Post Social Security

I presented a couple of examples - more examples would be welcomed.
Peter Foley

Postby neurosphere » Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:45 pm

Peter Foley wrote:I could use a second set of eyes from a tax expert. I took some of David Grabiner's material from the Wiki and created a presentation regarding marginal tax rates and tax efficiency. Anyone willing to review it? 17 slides, content as follows...

Those would be awesome additions, wonderful.

Can you post a link or otherwise make it public? I can put it in a google docs account for you if you prefer and put a link to it in this thread so people can comment on them and make corrections or otherwise give advice.
neurosphere

Postby Peter Foley » Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:16 pm

I did this presentation in Google docs (slides). It is at the same location as the other presentations I posted. I will activate the "share" feature and you can see if you can get to it.

https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/ ... sp=sharing
Peter Foley

Postby LadyGeek » Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:04 pm

Yes, that works. It's now in the wiki.

I think we have enough material to remove the "Under construction" notice. It's now an "official" Bogleheads page: Bogleheads® financial literacy project

Note the new menus on the right-hand side and bottom of the article.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Postby czeckers » Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:24 pm

I give an informal talk to my residents on this topic. I find I need to divide it into two talks:

1) Basics of personal finance
-Make a budget/live well within your means
-Establish an emergency fund -- bad(expensive) things happen unexpectedly -- be prepared
-as a physician you have good but not absolute job security, changing jobs requires recredentialling and possibly new state license so may need 6-12 months expenses in emergency fund if need to change jobs unexpectedly, hospital closes, etc.
-You must save/invest for retirement
- discuss compound return
- why you are behind starting in your mid 30's and need to save 15-20% gross income
- discussion of advantages of tax deferred plans and what IRA, Roth, 401, 403, 457 means
- discussion of taxable accounts -- marinal rate, cap gains vs dividends, etc.
-Saving for college
- Buying a house
- to buy vs rent
- types of mortgages
- discussions of expenses associated with buy a house, and ongoing costs of ownership -- i.e. it's not just the mortgage so don't stretch on the amount of house you buy (taxes, utilities, HOA fees, insurance, maintenance, etc)

2) Insurance
- why insurance and what to insure -- things that would be catastrophic financially
- insurance is insurance, investments are investments, insurance is usually not a good investment
- disability insurance --
- group vs own plan -- tax implications
-discussion of own occupation insurance for physicians
- selection of coverage amount
- various riders
- term life insurance
- only if have dependents
- comparison of term life to whole life
- strategies (example: can buy a large 20 year policy to cover while kids at home and overlap with a smaller 30 year policy to cover spouse until retirement age)

3) loan repayment -- pay off highest interest rate loans first
- loan consolidation
- how to determine whether to invest money or use to pay off loans

The above is easily an hour

On the second day I devote to investing

1) Investing vs speculation, long-term view

2) What are stocks vs bonds vs money market accounts and risk, expected return, volatility; asset allocation: split between stocks/bonds and impact of investment horizon on this decision (i.e. becoming more conservative over time)

3) diversification -- single company risk vs market risk, introduce mutual funds as basket of stocks/bonds, categorizing funds by size/value, types of bond funds

4) introduction of modern portfolio theory and further expansion of asset allocation/diversification, what happens as you blend stocks/bonds together, US vs international, REITS

5) periodic investing and effect of dollar cost averaging

6) rebalancing

With respect to the wiki project, I think much of the 1st day is specific to a target audience of young professionals who are late in the game with respect to saving, will have a high income, usually have a high loan burden. The second day is much more generalizable to the population at large

-K
The Espresso portfolio: | | 16% LCV, 16% SCV, 16% EM, 8% Int'l Value, 8% Int'l Sm, 8% US REIT, 8% Int'l REIT, 20% Inter-term US Treas | | "A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step."
czeckers

Postby LadyGeek » Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:07 pm

Thanks! I put your approach in the wiki, which links back to your post for the details: Bogleheads® financial literacy project
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Postby LadyGeek » Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:22 pm

To our military members:

Nords has contributed a 70 page PowerPoint presentation created by retired Marine Mark Hensen, which may be freely shared. The presentation is also helpful for civilians.

I updated the wiki: Bogleheads® financial literacy project (Personal Financial Management Basics for U.S. Military)

Other changes:

- added definitions of financial literacy and financial education
- removed the reader feedback document - no one entered anything :( Should the Brainstorming document be removed?

Additionally, I included a link to this presentation in: Military finances (Financial literacy)
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Postby neurosphere » Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:36 pm

LadyGeek wrote:- removed the reader feedback document - no one entered anything :( Should the Brainstorming document be removed?

Additionally, I included a link to this presentation in: Military finances (Financial literacy)

Good idea to remove the feedback doc. I cleaned up the brainstorming doc a bit. I think we should keep the brainstrorming doc, but perhaps rather than brainstorming, we "upgrade" it to a more mature form. It is now a relatively comprehensive lists of topics for which each topic needs to be turned into a slide or series of slides.

A great example is Barry's slides on the SP500, which can also be used to illustrate stock volatility.

At some point we'll need volunteers to create similar such slide sets for the other subtopics. And the slides can then be chosen to make complete presentation (i.e. similar to the multiday presentation listed above for medical residents).
neurosphere

Postby zzcooper123 » Sat Jun 29, 2013 6:33 pm

I have posted my PP presentation "Personal Finance for Residents" here: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B6JxEBt ... sp=sharing

I invite your comments
zzcooper123

Postby Barry Barnitz » Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:07 pm

zzcooper123 wrote:I have posted my PP presentation "Personal Finance for Residents" here: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B6JxEBt ... sp=sharing

I invite your comments

Hi zz:

I have added your slide presentation to the wiki page Bogleheads® financial literacy project - Bogleheads.

thanks,
Barry Barnitz
Wiki Admin

Postby Peter Foley » Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:08 pm

Just an update to advise readers that progress continues. Barry Barnitz (and others) put together a very good overview of the Boglehead Principles, one worth using at local chapter meetings.

See links to the Bogleheads Financial Literacy in earlier posts.
Peter Foley

Postby enderland » Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:33 am

I have also put together a presentation which is "why care about personal finance?" though, it is much different in style than the majority of these presentations (way fewer words).

I'm giving it today, will update with feedback and then post it :)
enderland

Postby JamesSFO » Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:04 am

Barry Barnitz wrote:
zzcooper123 wrote:I have posted my PP presentation "Personal Finance for Residents" here: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B6JxEBt ... sp=sharing

I invite your comments

Hi zz:

I have added your slide presentation to the wiki page Bogleheads® financial literacy project - Bogleheads.

thanks,

Good presentation
JamesSFO

Postby Diogenes » Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:12 pm

How do we correct or download to correct/adapt for our use those GoogleDocs slides that are marked locked?
Not that familiar with GoogleDocs...
Truth and clarity are important in all things...
Diogenes

Postby LadyGeek » Mon Jul 15, 2013 4:35 pm

The locked symbol on the Google Drive links mean that the web browser is accessing the site using SSL encryption (like logging into your bank account - your browser will show a lock symbol in the address bar). The file itself is available.

To download the file, just select File --> Download from the menu bar.

Editing the file online is a bit different, as it's up to the authors to allow changes. The last column in the wiki table shows the member who owns the file. PM that member to discuss updates.

For example: S&P 500 indexS&P 500 index was created by Barry Barnitz. All of the editing functions are available to you, which means anyone can edit the slides.

Another example: Tax Efficiency was created by Peter Foley, but only File, Edit (limited choices), View, and Help are available. You can download the file, but can't edit it. PM Peter Foley if an update is needed.

Anyone is welcome to create a new presentation for the wiki. If it's too similar to an existing presentation, we can work that out between the authors.

Wiki article link: Bogleheads® financial literacy project
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Postby ChapMan » Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:22 am

This is a great idea, and I'd be more than happy to hop onto a team to contribute whatever I can. I deal with young sailors/Marines/airmen/soldiers a lot, as well as more seasoned officers, so a nice shell presentation that can be calibrated to an audience sounds like a fantastic idea. In fact, the docs on Google Drive are already quite impressive.
ChapMan

Postby Nords » Tue Jul 16, 2013 5:05 pm

ChapMan wrote:This is a great idea, and I'd be more than happy to hop onto a team to contribute whatever I can. I deal with young sailors/Marines/airmen/soldiers a lot, as well as more seasoned officers, so a nice shell presentation that can be calibrated to an audience sounds like a fantastic idea. In fact, the docs on Google Drive are already quite impressive.

You can carve up Mark Hensen's PowerPoint presentation however you want (http://the-military-guide.com/wp-conten ... Basics.ppt) or break it into a couple of sessions. Depending on the level of detail you might have to update some slides with 2013 numbers.

Let me know how I can help with my book/blog. I also know a couple of CFPs (military veterans/retirees) in Texas and Virginia who may be able to work directly with your servicemembers.

I'm always looking for advice & stories from the "front lines" for future blog posts, an eBook, the next edition of the book...
* | * | Please see my profile. I don't read every post, so please PM or e-mail me to get my attention.
Nords

Postby neurosphere » Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:23 pm

I'm finally getting around to putting together a talk from my medical residents, and I am borrowing material from all the previously uploaded talks.

But I think there is an error in one of the presentations on the Financial Literacy Project:
http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Boglehea ... cy_project

The presentation entitled "SP500 Index" seems to have the same data in slide 3 and 5 (real vs nominal returns), and also the corresponding histograms don't make sense, in the the real returns histograms shows greater returns than the nominal. The slides can be found here:
https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/ ... slide=id.p

Can someone help me confirm this? I don't want to go in an edit the google-docs spreadsheet or the actual slides without the Barry's permission/awareness.
neurosphere

Postby LadyGeek » Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:00 pm

I sent Barry a PM.

Great timing, as we just added a new feature to the wiki that will help educators. The bottom left-side menu now has a new "Print/export" entry. This is the same feature as Wikipedia - the ability to create PDF files of articles. Or, make your own book. Book? Yes.

- Create a book
Clicking on this link will start the Book Creator. Click on the green Start Book Creator button at the top of the page. From now on, just navigate to the page you want and "Add this page to your book". "Show book" brings you to the book management page, where you can organize the articles and create your own chapters. When you are done, click on "Download as PDF" to get your file.

There are some quirks with the process, such as the sidebar and navigations menus get included. Also, videos and the Google spreadsheets, presentations, and documents do not render properly (not supported). However, give it a try and I think you'll be impressed with the results.

-Download as PDF
Creates a PDF for the current page.

-Printable version
For the "problem" pages (incorrect rendering), use this method and save the page with your web browser. Convert to whatever format you like later.

==============================
We still have to do some fine-tuning (like finishing the help page), but this should get you started.

Update: Clarified wording on unsupported features.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Postby neurosphere » Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:08 pm

LadyGeek wrote:Great timing, as we just added a new feature to the wiki that will help educators. The bottom left-side menu now has a new "Print/export" entry. This is the same feature as Wikipedia - the ability to create PDF files of articles. Or, make your own book. Book? Yes.

- Create a book
Clicking on this link will start the Book Creator. Click on the green Start Book Creator button at the top of the page. From now on, just navigate to the page you want and "Add this page to your book". "Show book" brings you to the book management page, where you can organize the articles and create your own chapters. When you are done, click on "Download as PDF" to get your file.

Whoa. That is so awesome. It automatically creates a table of contents and everything. Very impressive!
neurosphere

Postby LadyGeek » Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:20 pm

It also preserves the links. Try it on the Bogleheads home page. Every link is clickable within the PDF. It also creates a "References" table of links for the ones that are difficult to click.

The bottom line is that this tool allows you to get a wiki page into a stand-alone PDF format. From there, you have an endless selection of software apps, browser extensions, etc. to edit however you like. This is why the unsupported features (do not render properly) aren't a big deal. You can edit them out once you have the file.

Update: Clarified wording on unsupported features.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Postby Barry Barnitz » Thu Oct 31, 2013 12:49 pm

neurosphere wrote:I'm finally getting around to putting together a talk from my medical residents, and I am borrowing material from all the previously uploaded talks.

But I think there is an error in one of the presentations on the Financial Literacy Project:
http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Boglehea ... cy_project

The presentation entitled "SP500 Index" seems to have the same data in slide 3 and 5 (real vs nominal returns), and also the corresponding histograms don't make sense, in the the real returns histograms shows greater returns than the nominal. The slides can be found here:
https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/ ... slide=id.p

Can someone help me confirm this? I don't want to go in an edit the google-docs spreadsheet or the actual slides without the Barry's permission/awareness.

Hi:

I have tweaked some of the panels in the presentation.

1. I put in a different chart into the real returns slide (taken directly from the wiki page on the S&P 500 page).
2. At the time of composition, google did not have a histogram chart; I used a help page which provided a method for generating a histogram. The resulting graphs do not provide a horizontal label that describes a range of returns; rather showing the upper return limit for each column in the histogram. I have added a row to both the nominal and real return histogram tables that totals the number of negative return and positive return years.
3. Google has recently added a histogram chart capability. Unfortunately, although I added this chart to the S&P 500 spreadsheet used in the wiki, the chart does not transcribe in either the wiki table view (S&P 500 index - Bogleheads) , or in a saved version ( which I was hoping to upload into the presentation document). In addition, this chart cuts off the tails of the distribution.
Barry Barnitz
Wiki Admin

Postby LadyGeek » Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:44 pm

neurosphere wrote:
LadyGeek wrote:Great timing, as we just added a new feature to the wiki that will help educators. The bottom left-side menu now has a new "Print/export" entry. This is the same feature as Wikipedia - the ability to create PDF files of articles. Or, make your own book. Book? Yes.

- Create a book

Whoa. That is so awesome. It automatically creates a table of contents and everything. Very impressive!

The help file has been updated with a video tutorial (4 minutes long). Since we use the same software as Wikipedia, we can utilize the resources from Wikipedia.

Wiki article link: Help:Books
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Postby neurosphere » Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:58 pm

LadyGeek wrote:I don't see anything which focuses on medical professionals, which is what neurosphere is looking for.

Great material, LG in the previous post.

FYI, although my target audience is medical professionals, I feel that the 99% of the basic information about finances and investing is applicable to all. And I'm comfortable tweaking that 1% to my audience (high debt, delayed income, and targets of unscrupulous financial advisors). So no need for MD specific info (at least as far as I'm concerned).

Fyi, I hope to have my own presentation to contribute soon.
neurosphere

Postby LadyGeek » Sun Nov 03, 2013 5:42 pm

We've announced the wiki PDF creation in a new thread: Wiki - Create your own book, download PDF files

Since my last post here, we've done a lot of work to make the articles more amenable to printing. For example, the sidebar menus no longer appear in the output. Also, referenced papers now appear directly in the article content (Bibliography).
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Postby neurosphere » Tue Nov 05, 2013 1:13 pm

Hi all, I'm still dutifully (but slowly!) putting together a presentation to add to the existing list on the Financial Literacy Page.

But I'm hoping to get help finding two graphs I would like to use, rather than try to create my own.

First, within the past year or so, Vanguard put out a paper/brochure/blog of some sort calculating and charting the impact of fees over time. I know, they have done this a LOT. :D But I'm specifically looking for the report which listed the fees as a percentage of future return, or as a percentage of the eventual withdrawal rate. There was a long Boglehead thread about whether the numbers were actuate or slightly exaggerated. The conclusion/summary was something like "25% of future income is lost if fees are 1%". But I can't find the original report, nor the Boglehead thread. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Second, I'm trying to create a graph showing the tax benefits of retirement account investing vs taxable investing. It's easy to find/make one which simply shows two exponentials, one which lags the other due to taxes. But I'm hoping to find one which shows the effect of the yearly decline in taxable account balance due to the taxes on distributions. I.e. the scalloped or stair-stepped appearance at the end of each year as a decline in the account balance. I'm hoping to show this type of line, together with one which represents Roth and tax-deferred accounts. My excel skills are decent, and I could reproduce my own graph, but nice charts already exist, if only I could find some. Any ideas?
neurosphere

Postby neurosphere » Tue Nov 05, 2013 1:40 pm

I have a draft of my presentation and future contribution for the financial literacy site. It's not done, but I'm wondering if I shouldn't make it public now, in case it's in enough of a form that it's useful to anyone? What I hope to add is a section on rebalancing and how adding assets classes can decrease risk and (maybe) increase return, and then 4-8 summary slides or sample portfolios (i.e. 3 fund portfolio) which illustrate and summarize the basic principles:diversify, manage risk, use low-cost passive funds, stay the course, etc. I'm not sure when I'll get to that. But in the meantime I think there is a lot of useful info.

Note, it borrows heavily from existing presentations on the Financial Literacy, and most slides/graphs are not credited. I'm happy to give credit where anyone thinks it's necessary. Mostly, it takes basically the same information and packages it in a form which suits my personality and style. It's neither better nor worse (I hope) than the existing contributions.

Here is an outline of the two main goals from the into slide:

1) To review things you should do ASAP:
Live below your means
Buy Disability Insurance
Start an Emergency Fund
Determine a Loan repayment strategy
Open a Roth IRA (if possible)
Begin to contribute to your 401k (icing on the cake if you can manage to do all of the above on your resident/fellow salary!)

2) To increase your financial literacy, by learning about:
Taxation Basics
Retirement Accounts (Roth IRA, Regular IRA, 401k/403b, etc)
Stocks vs Bonds
Mutual Funds and Exchange Traded Funds (ETFs)
Asset Allocation
Risk vs. Investment Return
Investment costs REALLY MATTER
Passive investing vs active investing (passive wins)
How/Where to get help (do you need an advisor or other professional to help you?)

My plan would be to have a few versions of this talk depending on the length of time available. Currently, I give this kind of talk (right now as a "chalk-talk") over three 45 minute sessions (so that there is 15 minutes minimum for questions in each hour block). But I hope to have a "two-hour" version and a "one-hour" version of the same talk.

Anyway, the presentation is here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6SoAm ... sp=sharing

It's available to anyone with the link for now. Most of it rendered correctly in the conversion from powerpoint to Google Docs, except for slides 43, 44, and 45.

All comments are welcome.

Lady Geek (or Barry or other admin) let me know if you think I should add it to the Financial Literacy Page now, or if I should wait until it's "done". Although, I might need your help adding it. I can muddle through code to add the link to the table, but it takes me a LONG time. It's not yet intuitive for me. :D

Neurosphere
neurosphere

Postby Barry Barnitz » Tue Nov 05, 2013 3:18 pm

Hi neurosphere:

I have added the presentation to the wiki page, Bogleheads® financial literacy project - Bogleheads.

thanks!
Barry Barnitz
Wiki Admin

Postby sls239 » Tue Nov 05, 2013 4:19 pm

I would always give my JA students (high school) a bit of a teaser to get them interested in the day's topic.

One of them is just a few slides - just charts really - about the high cost and risks of bad credit. There's explanation that goes along with it that I always gave verbally, but here's the link nonetheless.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9DIxuYLRo-bWGFPNlYxQUpTaUU/edit?usp=sharing
sls239

Postby neurosphere » Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:22 pm

I have 3 presentations I'd like to upload to the Financial Presentation Page. I can try to do it myself later on, but my wiki skills are such that it might take me a long time, or I might mess it up, so in the meantime if anyone can help... :) But if not, I think I can get hopefully get around to it in the next few weeks.

The presentations are in pdf form, but look just like a slide set. This is because the .ppt files did not convert very well to a google docs version. If anyone wants to actually present these slides in a talk, or modify them for personal use, just PM me and I'd be happy to email you the actual powerpoint files. I took a few slides, some text, and a graph or two from some of the existing presentations.

FYI, these talks should REPLACE the existing talk which is up there with my screen name.

Location for talk #1: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6SoAm ... sp=sharing
Topics:
Live below your means
Buy disability insurance (the focus of today’s talk)
Start an emergency fund
Determine a loan repayment strategy
Open a Roth IRA (if at all possible)
Begin to contribute to your 401k (icing on the cake if you can manage to do all of the above on your resident/fellow salary!)

Location for talk #2: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6SoAm ... sp=sharing
Topics:
Tax code basics
Why does one need to invest at all?
The benefits of contributing to retirement accounts vs. taxable accounts
Introduction to the major asset classes (stock, bonds, etc)
Risk/volatility vs. reward/return
How investor psychology and behavior leads to poor investment performance
Constructing a diversified portfolio

Location for talk #3: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6SoAm ... sp=sharing
Topics:
What is retirement? Why would I ever want to retire?
How do I figure out how/when I can retire?
How much do I need to save each year in order to achieve my goals?
Why minimizing your investment costs are critical
How to find and interpret the cost of your investments (and your investment professional)
Why indexed mutual funds (aka passive funds) outperform actively managed investments
Do you need an investment advisor (most people don’t)
How/where to get help (if you feel you need it)
Pros and cons of various ways one can get financial help (financial planner, investment advisor, stock broker, insurance salesperson, etc.)

Thanks,
Neurosphere/Sotirios
neurosphere

Postby LadyGeek » Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:32 pm

I gave you a head start, the wiki is updated: Bogleheads® financial literacy project
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Postby neurosphere » Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:43 pm

LadyGeek wrote:I gave you a head start, the wiki is updated: Bogleheads® financial literacy project

Awesome!! Thanks LG!
neurosphere

Postby LadyGeek » Tue Feb 18, 2014 6:27 pm

neurosphere wrote:The presentations are in pdf form, but look just like a slide set. This is because the .ppt files did not convert very well to a google docs version. If anyone wants to actually present these slides in a talk, or modify them for personal use, just PM me and I'd be happy to email you the actual powerpoint files. I took a few slides, some text, and a graph or two from some of the existing presentations.
I just realized that you don't need to PM the files separately. Just upload them to Google Docs, but do not convert them. Share the link.

Then, I'll put the link in the wiki as "Slides" noting that you can use the "PDF" to view, then download the "Slides" for the presentation.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Postby neurosphere » Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:38 pm

Here are the links to the the 3 talks, sorry for the delay. Perhaps you can add the ppt. files to the Financial Literacy site in addition to the ppt? The ppt files can be viewed fairly easily within most browsers, and then one can download the actual slides if one wants to modify them in order to give a talk.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6SoAm ... sp=sharing is talk #1

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6SoAm ... sp=sharing is talk #2

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6SoAm ... sp=sharing is talk #3
Last edited by neurosphere on Mon Mar 10, 2014 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
neurosphere

Postby LadyGeek » Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:52 pm

I updated the wiki to have both PDF and Slide format options: Bogleheads® financial literacy project
LadyGeek
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Personal Finance (Not Investing)