Automatic ice maker -- no ice!

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities

Automatic ice maker -- no ice!

Postby Liam » Wed May 22, 2013 11:06 am

Maytag Plus refrigerator -- Model RDT2100DAE

The automatic ice maker inside the freezer of this unit is usually reliable, but about once per year it stops making ice. Within 24-48 hours the ice maker starts again.

It's been five days.

Advice?
Liam

Re: Automatic ice maker -- no ice!

Postby livesoft » Wed May 22, 2013 11:14 am

Does it get water through its water supply?

Remove it and install ice cube trays made of plastic and filled by naturally organic means. Organic ice is the best and safest!
This signature message sponsored by LadyGeek.
livesoft

Postby Groundhog » Wed May 22, 2013 11:18 am

Our ice maker stopped making ice also recently. My other half keeps reminding me to fix it. I re-introduced her to the ice cube trays.
Groundhog

Postby gerrym51 » Wed May 22, 2013 11:21 am

try pulling the plug for a minute. modern appliances contain circuits that will re-set to original settings if power is stopped for a couple of minutes-it might work :mrgreen:
gerrym51

Postby MindBogler » Wed May 22, 2013 11:51 am

Or flip the automatic shutoff lever off and back on again. Next time it happens check to make sure there isn't ice stuck in the automatic tray.
MindBogler

Postby BIGal » Wed May 22, 2013 6:59 pm

I had a similar problem and resolved by using a hair dryer to thaw out the frozen water tube. I had turned off the water while we were gone for 2 months and when we returned I found our ice make would not work once the water was turned back on. After some research I found that water had frozen in the fill tube and by using a hair dry I was able to thaw and it is now working again. You may want to do some research on the internet and possibly try this method...good luck
BIGal

Postby hicabob » Wed May 22, 2013 7:10 pm

My icemaker /water dispenser required that the cable harness gets repaired/replaced every 18 months because the cheap crappy wires they use break from the flexing when the door is opened/closed. Brilliant design for a $2.2k fridge kitchenaid! I fixed it after the warranty expired (and 3 doors later - they replaced the whole door each time!) by using high quality fine stranded teflon coated flexible wiring instead of the cheapest available that they use.
hicabob

Postby rotorhead » Fri May 24, 2013 7:29 am

Take a look at the website: http://www.appliancepartspros.com/.

I have found them a tremendous resource, and have repaired a dishwasher, freezer ice maker, and a clothes dryer with their help. Good resource for getting the parts, and have great discussion threads for troubleshooting and repair.
rotorhead

Postby The Wizard » Fri May 24, 2013 7:38 am

livesoft wrote:Does it get water through its water supply?

Remove it and install ice cube trays made of plastic and filled by naturally organic means. Organic ice is the best and safest!

Organic ice = RainWater?
Attempted new signature...
The Wizard

Postby rixer » Fri May 24, 2013 7:38 am

I have a Maytag with an icemaker also. I don't know if THIS is your problem but it has happened to me twice.
In mine, if you pull the bottom door of the icemaker out, there is a plastic bar that rises as the ice fill up in the tray. When the tray is full of ice, the bar raises up and shuts off the icemaker until more ice is used and the bar comes back down. Twice, this plastic bar has gotten lodged in the 'up' position, turning the icemaker off. The first time it happened, it took me a while to figure it. If this is the case, unlodge it and it will drop down and the icemaker will start working again.

You might check that out.
rixer

Postby SnapShots » Fri May 24, 2013 8:02 am

No idea what's wrong but Ice Makers do need to be cleaned and tended to from time to time. Once had a SubZero, freestanding ice maker. It quite working. Bought a new Kitchen Aid ice maker. Gave the SubZero to SIL. For a small price and a minor repair SIL fixed it. That was 22 years ago and the darn SubZero is still making ice. :oops:
the best decision many times is the hardest to do
SnapShots

Return to Personal Consumer Issues