What's the point? [job frustration]

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills

What's the point? [job frustration]

Postby tphp99 » Sat May 18, 2013 10:04 am

What would you do?

I am in a very good position to continue making $600K+/year until retirement- but sometimes the BS from this "job" gets unhealthy. We've saved over $1M and have another $1.5M in real estate. No debt. We spend about $60K a year and I know we're not going to upgrade our spending habit. Wife is 40 I'm 45.

I'm down to two choices 1) keep going - but I'm starting to think "what's the point?" or 2) take a clinical job ($100K+/year) which I know I'd enjoy with less stress. Kid x 2 - college savings OK (I think).

Firecalc says I could actually stop saving, make enough to live on and retire at 65 and be OK.

Would you slow down or milk the opportunity to make $600K+ annually for a bit longer? And if so, how much longer?

The BS typically comes every 6-8 weeks and I'd get so upset I'd lose sleep for about a week until it's resolve. Can't delegate that task it seems.
tphp99

Re: What's the point?

Postby ieee488 » Sat May 18, 2013 10:16 am

Damage to your bank account is readily visible.

Damage to your health, not so.

$600K is a lot of money don't get me wrong. But it won't do you any good if in a few years you are diagnosed related or unrelated to your job stress.
ieee488

Postby momar » Sat May 18, 2013 11:08 am

The only reason to continue working at the 600k job is if you want to completely retire in a few years. If you only spend 60k, you don't quite have enough but you ought to within a year or three.

If you can be happy in a 100k job that covers your expenses, you probably already have enough saved that you can retire comfortably some years down the line.
"Index funds have a place in your portfolio, but you'll never beat the index with them." - Words of wisdom from a Fidelity rep
momar

Postby retiredjg » Sat May 18, 2013 11:16 am

I agree....there is no point in continuing what you are doing. And you KNOW it is affecting your health. It is probably also affecting your family life.

Real answer: what does your spouse suggest? :happy
retiredjg

Postby gerrym51 » Sat May 18, 2013 11:25 am

retiredjg wrote:I agree....there is no point in continuing what you are doing. And you KNOW it is affecting your health. It is probably also affecting your family life.

Real answer: what does your spouse suggest? :happy

NO> the real answer is WHAT DOES THE WIFE WANT!. :moneybag
gerrym51

Postby frugaltype » Sat May 18, 2013 11:57 am

A bad job is dreadful. I would dump it and go to the $100,000 one. I also think you don't have quite enough squirreled away for retirement yet. That would give you a few more years to save and not draw down your savings.

Are the college savings not included in the $1 mil? If they aren't included they will make a significant dent in it.
frugaltype

Postby Texas hold em71 » Sat May 18, 2013 12:31 pm

You don't tell us how old your kids are. The 60,000 per year could vary considerably based on your parenting style. Health insurance in early retirement for a family of four would make a dent in the million pretty quickly for one thing. Switching to the lower paying job would be better than retirement at 45 IMO. Do you even know what you would do with your time?

Is there anything about the current job that is temporary and could be changed? I was ready to bow out of a job ten years ago that was making me miserable when suddenly my boss was fired and things got substantially better. Although he was a miserable person, his impact on my life was to convince me that financial security equalled the ability to leave a bad job. Set me on the path to being a Boglehead. So in a way, I should thank him.

While previous posters have mentioned your spouse somewhat tongue in cheek, it is true that a miserable home life can lead to divorce which can be a financial disaster.
Texas hold em71

Postby bornloser » Sat May 18, 2013 12:32 pm

Couple of points come to mind:
If you leave the 600k+ job, could you ever go back again to a job with that income? For many (including myself) the answer is a big NO. This is a big consideration b/c you and spouse are still relatively young with a lot of years left.
You say you have saved over a million, but that's not very specific...is it 1M and one dollar or 5 million? The size of this cushion IMHO is very important.
The 1.5M in real estate is personal residence or income producing property? The reason I ask is that I own about the same value in two properties for personal use (main home and vacation home) and there are ongoing expenses with taxes and upkeep.
Have you really tracked expenses to see if all you spend is 60k? It seems kind of hard to do with kids these days (I have three).

Just my two cents. Good luck.
bornloser

Postby mac808 » Sat May 18, 2013 12:43 pm

I was in a similar situation. I adopted a bunker mentality. Every month/quarter I survived was a victory. :twisted: It didn't feel great at the time but now, looking back, I am grateful I toughed it out. Towards the end I set a 12 month count-down which helped reduce the stress.
mac808

Postby YttriumNitrate » Sat May 18, 2013 12:47 pm

tphp99 wrote:We spend about $60K a year and I know we're not going to upgrade our spending habit. .

Weren't you thinking about buying a pricy car not too long ago?
YttriumNitrate

Postby Kevin M » Sat May 18, 2013 12:51 pm

I think I would keep the job for at least a couple more years, and save like crazy. You can significantly increase your nest egg by doing so. Maybe when you get to a $2M portfolio, you could reconsider going with the lower-paying, more enjoyable job for a few more years.

Kevin
||.......|| Suggested format for Asking Portfolio Questions (edit original post)
Kevin M

Postby tfb » Sat May 18, 2013 1:10 pm

False choice? Could there be a position that pays $500k without the stress? Or just seek professional help on dealing with stress? All jobs come with unpleasant parts we don't like. When I'm asked to do things I don't agree with or I don't like doing, I just remind myself they are paying me good money to do it. I quickly find peace with it and don't take it too seriously any more.
Harry Sit, taking a break from the forums.
tfb

Postby avalpert » Sat May 18, 2013 1:13 pm

tphp99 wrote:What would you do?

I am in a very good position to continue making $600K+/year until retirement- but sometimes the BS from this "job" gets unhealthy. We've saved over $1M and have another $1.5M in real estate. No debt. We spend about $60K a year and I know we're not going to upgrade our spending habit. Wife is 40 I'm 45.

I'm down to two choices 1) keep going - but I'm starting to think "what's the point?" or 2) take a clinical job ($100K+/year) which I know I'd enjoy with less stress. Kid x 2 - college savings OK (I think).

Firecalc says I could actually stop saving, make enough to live on and retire at 65 and be OK.

Would you slow down or milk the opportunity to make $600K+ annually for a bit longer? And if so, how much longer?

The BS typically comes every 6-8 weeks and I'd get so upset I'd lose sleep for about a week until it's resolve. Can't delegate that task it seems.

I'm trying to figure out how you could be earning $600k, spending only $60k and yet only have $1M in savings - without any returns at all that is just 2 years of savings at this rate or maybe 3 years if it is a pre-tax $600.
avalpert

Postby nisiprius » Sat May 18, 2013 1:17 pm

No easy answers to "life's persistent questions," even under the best of circumstances there is stress and worry and care. I think myself that there is a certain amount of "happiness homeostasis," Eeyore (the lugubrious donkey in Winnie-the-Pooh) is never going to stop worrying. All I can say is this. You deploy the resources you have to pursue happiness as best you can, and an awful lot of people manage to attain some workmanlike acceptable level of happiness on incomes much smaller than $600K/year. (Me, for example).

You obviously have a great deal of resources you can deploy, so if you are really losing sleep over job stress you have a great deal of wiggle room and you ought to consider wiggling. You obviously have the ability to make changes in your life without serious risk of totally and irrevocably ruining it.

You have the curse of "golden handcuffs." You are obviously on the verge of burning out. (It is also not completely impossible that you might have clinical depression so it might not be a waste of time to take one of those self-assessment tests or something...)

And as others have said, it doesn't have to be all or nothing. You could take a couple of years off and then get back in--obviously with a damaged career track but you can afford to take a much-lower-paying job than you have now. Some wild career change.

By the way... what does your wife have to say about all this?

Hoo boy, is all of that sooner said than done. So easy to see for other people, so hard to do for ones' self. I personally have, however, succeeded in transforming my work life by managing to change roles within the company I was working at. I've done that, let me see, three times, without serious risk to my regular paycheck.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
nisiprius
Advisory Board

Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Postby leonard » Sat May 18, 2013 2:12 pm

avalpert wrote:

I'm trying to figure out how you could be earning $600k, spending only $60k and yet only have $1M in savings - without any returns at all that is just 2 years of savings at this rate or maybe 3 years if it is a pre-tax $600.

Exactly what I was wondering.

I'd keep going at $600k and retire in a few years.

I would also try to restructure the $600k job in such a way to minimize the BS. Many jobs have latitude on working around the stressors. Why not take a chance and take some action? The worst thing that happens is that you lose the $600k job and take the $100k job anyway. So, the downside of taking some chances within the $600k job isn't great.

If you want to share the nature of the "BS" causing the problems - might be able to provide suggestions on working around it.
Leonard

Market Timing: Do you seriously think you can predict the future? What else do the voices tell you?

If employees weren't taking jobs with bad 401k's, bad 401k's wouldn't exist.
leonard

Postby harrychan » Sat May 18, 2013 3:27 pm

I would look at your work issue. If something recurs every 6-7 weeks and you can anticipate it coming, I would change my mentality on how I would approach that problem. I learned a very valuable lesson when working in the Summer in high school that my attitude contributes to the situation. Once I changed my attitude, the job become more enjoyable. Granted not all situation can be altered with just your attitude such as the problems I face in my job today. But I have learned not to take email's or accusations personal.
This is not legal or certified financial advice but you know that already.
harrychan

Postby Calm Man » Sat May 18, 2013 8:29 pm

It sounds like you are a physician. It freaked me out but now has become commonplace (I am 60) that beginning at about age 50, guys (I can't remember a female) would drop dead. You'd either hear about it or read it in the alumni quarterly journal. Several of them were making 600K a year. You get the message.
Calm Man

Postby magazinewriter » Sat May 18, 2013 8:58 pm

avalpert wrote:

+1
magazinewriter

Postby Texas hold em71 » Sat May 18, 2013 9:02 pm

OP states he has 1 million in investments and 1.5 million in debt free real estate. Looked at old posts and it appears he has engineering and medical degrees, so he has lived frugal life to become debt free. Not sure how long he has made the 600,000 per year.
Texas hold em71

Postby Watty » Sat May 18, 2013 9:14 pm

making $600K+/year

You also need to look at the after tax income of your current job and a less stressful but lower paying one. You might be making $600K, but after taxes you would be clearing a lot less than that so the after tax income of a lower paying job might not be as big a reduction as it sounds. With a spouse and couple of kids you might be surprised how little in income taxes you would be paying with even $100K in income.

You might consider getting some counseling on how to deal with this stress and to get some professional insight on just how bad it is for your overall health.

Professional mentoring to figure out ways to handle the situation might help too if you can find someone with a similar position that you respect to talk with.

If it bothers you this much I would also have to wonder if you will always be able to actually do a good job in the stressful situation. The details were vague(which I can understand) but it could be that if you are not up to doing the job then the right thing to do might be to step down from the position before it ends badly. It is one thing to get worked up about a periodic budget meeting brouhaha but if this involves critical decisions then I would take a very hard look at if you should be in that position.

You might look for a similar position at a different place if that would be less stressful.
Watty

Re: What's the point? [job frustration]

Postby HomerJ » Sat May 18, 2013 10:07 pm

Pay someone else $100k a year to handle the B.S. for you.

Otherwise, work 2 more years, save another $1.1 million, then quit forever
HomerJ

Postby Paul78 » Sat May 18, 2013 10:18 pm

Personally I would get your savings up to 2 mil + 1.5 mil you have in real estate.

At that point I would either quit all together or find a lower paying job you enjoy.
Paul78

Postby jupiter_man » Sat May 18, 2013 10:27 pm

How do you know the Clinical job is less stressful ? Dis you ask people who are in that profile ? These days everybody says their job is stressful.

Take the maximum vacation your job allows and see how your Boss handles it without you ? Can you take a 4 - 6 week vacation , that will allow you to think through, de-stress ?
jupiter_man

Postby Paul78 » Sat May 18, 2013 10:32 pm

Calm Man wrote:It sounds like you are a physician. It freaked me out but now has become commonplace (I am 60) that beginning at about age 50, guys (I can't remember a female) would drop dead. You'd either hear about it or read it in the alumni quarterly journal. Several of them were making 600K a year. You get the message.

One of the main reasons I did not pursue a career as a physician. I am plenty happen with my lower paying job (90k at the moment. Future raises will really only maintain my current spending power- ie adjust for inflation- not increase it) that comes with only a fraction of the stress.

I am sure you can reduce the stress of a being a physician with a clear cut plan. If you are in one of the higher paying specialties and you are living well bellow your means there is no reason why you can not retire in your early 40's. But then again at that time you will be making 400k, 500k, maybe 600k+ a year which is dam harm for some to walk away from.
Paul78

Postby tphp99 » Sat May 18, 2013 11:33 pm

Thanks for all the replies.

No, can't really do away with the stress without walking away from the job completely.

We bought all the junk we thought we wanted: cars, jewelry, trips, wine and food, ect. Luckily, we found we have pretty simple tastes and the expensive stuff did not make us any happier. Yes, maybe we should have a bit more at this point. But we are sure we only need $60K per year for ourselves. House and cars paid for. The kids' college money: we have enough set aside already in 529s (not included in the $1M - that's just our retirement money.) Half of the real estate $ do generate a small amount of income as they are rentals.

I'm actually very reluctant where as my wife tells me to quit already. She is concerned that I may have that heart attack some of you mention.

I'm certain the $100K job is going to be a cake walk. I might have trouble with it only because I feel for a bit more work, I can keep making the $$$ - thus my endless self debate. My goal was to actually stick it out another 4 years, save a bit more and THEN slow down - I can't see retiring until I am unable to work - maybe in my 60s. But I'm so stressed out right now, I want to give notice and spend the summer on the beach. With my ADD, I may end up not enjoying the summer at the beach - I'd rather be working. (sort of kidding here - I'm actually not that crazy.)

Yes, I keep thinking about blowing cash on "things" like cars and it would make me feel better. I find it difficult to spend 911 Turbo S money even though I have it in the bank - earmarked for it. And for the most part, those material things sort of help - but it's short lived. Any one want to buy a barely used Corvette? So I know I don't have to spend $ - the $60K a year is pretty accurate estimate of our annual expenses.

Back to the decision. I worry that I'm leaving "a lot on the the table", it's too soon to slow down, I rationalize how the stress is self created (how I react to the problems) because I'm not in a position to fire these incompetents. So maybe some sort of counseling, coaching might help me. Example: people in key positions with expectations to do their jobs would drop the ball and cause enormous amount of headaches but nothing really catastrophic - no one dies. All management level stuff - that's why if I only take care of patients - what do I care if the front office screws up?

Don't get me wrong, I want to stay on for a few more years. But with each subsequent episode, I'm closer and closer to quitting. I just don't want to regret my decision. I'm surprise there weren't too many here telling me to "suck it up." That's the advice I've been giving myself.
tphp99

Postby tphp99 » Sat May 18, 2013 11:37 pm

jupiter_man wrote:How do you know the Clinical job is less stressful ? Dis you ask people who are in that profile ? These days everybody says their job is stressful.

Take the maximum vacation your job allows and see how your Boss handles it without you ? Can you take a 4 - 6 week vacation , that will allow you to think through, de-stress ?

I've always and still enjoy treating patients immensely. I feel that's never going to change.

Vacation never helped me much because the chaos I find upon my return.
tphp99

Postby tphp99 » Sat May 18, 2013 11:38 pm

HomerJ wrote:Pay someone else $100k a year to handle the B.S. for you.

Otherwise, work 2 more years, save another $1.1 million, then quit forever

I'd paid someone half of my profit if they can take care of the problems - though I've not been able to do so - I feel sometimes it's my fault for being such a control freak.

I doubt I would ever quit practicing.
tphp99

Postby Iorek » Sat May 18, 2013 11:41 pm

I will say I had a high paying job that made me miserable, and I would periodically spend some money to try and make up for up, but the best thing I ever did was switch to a job paying less than half my old salary but which does not make me miserable (which isn't to say it's all wine and roses). If you don't need that money, then why make yourself unhappy?
Iorek

Postby brxn » Sat May 18, 2013 11:49 pm

I think it's very reasonable to make that salary tradeoff if your job is making you miserable, and particularly so if you already have what you consider a secure nest egg for the future.

For me, the goal in all of my career/work/family/investing decisions is maximize my "quality of life" ... this is a complex target that involves enjoyable daily life now and the peace of mind that comes with security in the future. Spending 8+ hours per day doing something I hate is a tough sell if I have any alternatives.
brxn

Postby harrychan » Sat May 18, 2013 11:58 pm

I hate to say this but if you make $600k now it is no guarantee that you will make $100k in your next job especially if you are unemployed at the time. The only exception is if you have connections who will put you on their payroll as a favor.
This is not legal or certified financial advice but you know that already.
harrychan

Postby Random Musings » Sun May 19, 2013 12:02 am

Many people out there have stress related to their work environment - and almost all of them make less than 600K a year. How about single parents who have to work two jobs just to make ends meet? And the stress of their children being alone without supervision at times? How about people just struggling to put food on the table or other basic needs?

Everyone has problems. Either get help so you can deal with it, retire, or get a lower paying, hopefully less stressful job. Your spouse, who knows you better than any of us on this board and cares about you, seems to be quite concerned. From your last post, on the other hand, your reluctance to make a move and hang on for a little more implies that you may think stress issues on a financial level may replace your current stress issues.

I think you should talk to a professional about your issues with stress, if you have not already. Good luck.

RM
Random Musings

Postby frugaltype » Sun May 19, 2013 5:40 am

tphp99 wrote:I'm actually very reluctant where as my wife tells me to quit already. She is concerned that I may have that heart attack some of you mention...

But I'm so stressed out right now, I want to give notice and spend the summer on the beach.

Having read this reply, I say, dump the job. There is no question in my mind. I think some of the people saying tough it out have not had the kind of job at a place (you know who you are, Adobe) where you go home with your blood pressure through the roof and dread going in in the morning.
frugaltype

Postby bayview » Tue May 21, 2013 9:43 pm

If you've made your number, and it sounds like you have, shift gears. No point in being the richest guy in the cemetery.
bayview

Postby BestWishes » Wed May 22, 2013 2:43 am

Husband went through something similar at age 42. He was sick of his job and was making about half of what you are making. But we have saved several times more than you. We discussed the situation for several months and he finally quit. He enjoyed life for about 5 years and was very happy. He went back to work last year in the same field but has a job with less responsibility and less pay. So far so good and he is planning to reitre in a few years. This time for good.

Do what is right for you, your health and your family. For us, the extended time off worked well.
BestWishes

Postby lwfitzge » Wed May 22, 2013 5:59 am

I appreciate your position, I was there a couple years ago. I was a well compensated pharma/biotech executive at 48 that toughed it out enough to reach my number but getting there was impacting my health and my family life even more so. I was on the road, often living away from family Mon-Fri and seeing them on weekends. Did that for 4 yrs and then one day I just walked away. Now I consult 1-2 days week, and I'm an entrepreneur for new ventures that I'm passionate about. I'm the happiest I've been in years. Good luck. Your financials sound like you can make a similar leap and at your level of compensation, I'm sure you would find a way to make money if you wanted or needed to.
lwfitzge

Postby johnep » Wed May 22, 2013 7:56 am

You might want to consider talking with a psychologist or some type of counselor who can advise you on how to cope/respond to these issues when they occur. The one thing in life we can control is our response to situations. A counselor might help you see these situations differently and give you coping techniques that make them much more bearable. Many of life's problems are the result of bad thinking and it causes all sorts of ills like stress, anxiety and depression. A good counselor can help you control your thoughts and response better. It is certainly worth a try before abandoning such a lucrative position. Best wishes
johnep

Postby Alexandria » Thu May 23, 2013 12:08 pm

We have left large amounts of money on the table (my spouse retired at 25, due to hating job and also wanting to be home with kids). Absolutely no regrets - it's been 11 years -life is only better. Has just forced us to be more efficient with our finances. Which might put us better off in the long run. (It's not like he will never "make money" again).

I have watched too many loved ones "Stick it out" and have heart attacks. This would be a no brainer for me.

In addition, the tax hit on $600k is totally insane, whereas at the $100k level you should be able to continue to max out a 401k, live on $60k, and still have money to spare. You might get away with not paying a lot more tax than just social security and medicare taxes. All this to say it's not quite the income hit that it sounds like it is when you consider your income tax situation. This is important to understand when losing a substantial income; it probably makes the decision a little easier.
Alexandria

Postby FrugalInvestor » Thu May 23, 2013 12:39 pm

Only you know yourself and your situation.

I decided to stick with the job and retire permanently at 50. It gave my wife and I time to plan and build up a financial cushion. Knowing that the end was in sight removed some of the stress from the job and gave me more positive things to focus on. It was a good decision for us.

Best of luck with your decision.
Last edited by FrugalInvestor on Thu May 23, 2013 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"All generalizations are false, including this one."
-Mark Twain
FrugalInvestor

Postby wingnutty » Thu May 23, 2013 2:59 pm

Life is too short. We all know folks who worked, waiting like hell for retirement and then, as soon as they were retired, they got cancer and died. Life isn't worth being miserable, not for any amount of time.

I worked in a high stress job a while back, but I didnt' make nearly as much as you do. I spent a lot of nights tossing and turning with stress. I wouldn't do it again, ever. I'd unplug and live off the grid before I worked a job where I was miserable again.

You are finanically quite well set. Your lifestyle would gel well with a lower paying job. You say you no longer care about material posessions in the same way you did before. So WHY do you need to keep being miserable and making more money than you really need? You are answering your own question in your posts, you don't need this job, the little guy on your shoulder is just whispering nonsense into your ear. Your wife sees this, you see it, you just don't want to accept it. Move on and enjoy life.
wingnutty

Postby HomerJ » Thu May 23, 2013 4:50 pm

My wife absolutely hated her job... VP of HR... She worked daily with C-level executives and they were all evil. Cronyism was rampant, good people were overlooked, front-line people were called "replaceable cogs - who cares about them?" (direct quote from the CEO if that gives you idea of the company culture).

Together we made about $250k... but we were living a $100k lifestyle.

She stuck in there until we had enough to pay off the house, reducing our living expenses to about $70k a year... and then she quit last fall...

Now we're living on just my $110k a year, but with a $70k lifestyle, I can still save $20k a year, and we live exactly the same as we did before...

She is much happier now (especially with her first summer coming up), and I'm much happier now too...

We talked about her working another 5 years, and then both of us retiring... but we decided the stress wasn't worth it, and I can work another 10-15 years no problem (I'm 8 years younger than her anyway - so it's only fair I work another 8 years at least) :)
HomerJ

Postby Die Hard » Thu May 23, 2013 10:49 pm

tfb wrote:False choice? Could there be a position that pays $500k without the stress? Or just seek professional help on dealing with stress? All jobs come with unpleasant parts we don't like. When I'm asked to do things I don't agree with or I don't like doing, I just remind myself they are paying me good money to do it. I quickly find peace with it and don't take it too seriously any more.

But what if you were being asked to do something unethical or even illegal? Just curious :confused
The best way to teach your children about money is to not have any.............
Die Hard

Postby LFKB » Thu May 23, 2013 11:25 pm

If you spend $60k per year and make $100k pre tax, you'll be saving probably $10-$20k per year after tax. At $600k per tax, you're probably saving $300k plus per year. At the $100k job, you may not be able to retire for a very long time, unless you're willing to downsize on the real estate. Basically you need to work 17-35 years of the $100k job to get to the same level of savings as each year at the $600k job. I'd probably stick it out for 2-3 more years at the $600k job.

I'm a bit surprised there's no happy medium between the two jobs. Also, I'm a little worried the $60k number may not be accurate given some of the thins you mention in your posts, like wanting to buy a Porsche.
LFKB

Postby thebogledude » Fri May 24, 2013 1:56 am

tphp99 wrote:I'm surprise there weren't too many here telling me to "suck it up." That's the advice I've been giving myself.

That's because you make so much money. 911Turbo S money? What?? How about Ford Escape money?
It sounds like you want to leave but you don't want the stigma of taking a less paying/less demanding job. Your family can adjust, cutting back, liquidate real estate. Just my .02 btw.
thebogledude

Return to Personal Finance (Not Investing)