When to lower condo regime fee?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills

When to lower condo regime fee?

Postby qwerty11 » Thu May 09, 2013 9:16 pm

I'm current treasurer on the board of our condominium complex. Our finances consist of an operating budget (about 250k/year) and a reserve fund. Every three years we renew our reserve study to determine how well funded we are for future expenses. We are currently about 75-80% funded for the next 30 years worth of projected expenses. Of course the reserve is funded by a certain % of our monthly regime fees, approximately 25%.

My question is, when should a reduction in regimes be considered because reserve holdings are adequately funded? Is there an industry standard for reserve funding? Just keep going until it is 100% is funded, then stop all funding until holdings drop? The annual reserve contributions are actually dictated by the reserve study, and therefore change (gradually increase) annually. Not sure how to approach this "fortunate" situation and looking to pick some brains. Thanks!

To summarize, what is the proper indicator for a reduction in regime fees?
qwerty11

Re: When to lower condo regime fee?

Postby psteinx » Thu May 09, 2013 11:00 pm

I'm not a condo owner, but wow!

75-80% funded for 30 years means roughly fully funded for 22-24 years. That seems VERY excessive, especially if those reserves are (as seems likely) earning minimal or no interest.
psteinx

Postby adam1712 » Thu May 09, 2013 11:48 pm

One key thing to look into is the FHA guidelines for reserve fund requirements. If I recall correctly, it states 10% of dues must be allocated towards reserves. Resale and refinancing can be hurt if the guidelines aren't met.
adam1712

Postby stan_the_man » Fri May 10, 2013 10:41 pm

I know this sounds more complicated, but I would keep the dues the same and try to rebate the excess dues on a regular basis (maybe once a year).

If you lower the dues, it may make people budget to that new lower amount and cause issues when you need to raise them again in the future.
stan_the_man

Postby jeffyscott » Sat May 11, 2013 11:56 am

psteinx wrote:I'm not a condo owner, but wow!

75-80% funded for 30 years means roughly fully funded for 22-24 years. That seems VERY excessive, especially if those reserves are (as seems likely) earning minimal or no interest.

I'm not either and likely never will be, one big reason being these fees over which you have no real control. Maybe I am missing something, but if the association has accumulated this much in reserve, it would seem to me that they have been overcharging the condo owners.
press on, regardless - John C. Bogle
jeffyscott

Return to Personal Finance (Not Investing)