Transferring to the new version of Quicken

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
communipaw

Transferring to the new version of Quicken

Post by communipaw »

Tomorrow I am getting the current version of Quicken to replace my 2005 edition of Quicken.

When I began using Quicken in the 1990s, I made a mistake in creating some Quicken accounts, didn't know how to correct the mistake when I upgraded Quicken before 2005 but hope now to rectify that mistake.

90% of what I own is mutual funds, almost all Vanguard; 9% is in two stock DRIPs; and 1% or less is in a few stocks with very low totals held in Vanguard brokerage. I have each mutual fund in separate Quicken accounts and each of the 2 DRIPS in separate Quicken accounts, which are then grouped in the Quicken master list by retirement/non-retirement.

What I expect to see when I look at each Quicken register is the history of my re-investments and purchases ending with the current share balance and the current value. That's what I do see in most.

But in some mutual fund registers I see at the end cash amount / cash balance and no listing of the number of shares in that mutual fund. I suspect this started when I originally created the Quicken account and chose the wrong type of account and that the cash amount / cash balance is connected to brokerage accounts and not to mutual fund or DRIP accounts.

If I just import the current accounts into the new Quicken, the problem will remain in the new version. Any suggestions on an EASY way to import into the new Quicken but with correct account types?
Thank you.
Grasshopper

Re: Transferring to the new version of Quicken

Post by Grasshopper »

If you validate your data file, it will show transactions that may need to be corrected.
Open Quicken file, scroll to
File Operations click on
Validate or Validate and repair.
:beer