Preparing for RMD from TSP

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
retiredjg

Preparing for RMD from TSP

Post by retiredjg »

Suppose you are a former federal employee with a TSP account. You are not currently taking any money from the TSP account and you still have your one time partial withdrawal available. You are a few years from RMDs and you want the RMDs to go smoothly. From another thread, it seems there are ways that things might not go so smoothly sometimes. I'm making this a separate thread because I suspect the answer will not apply to that thread (I think it is too late).

Assume your birthday is in March and you'll be 70.5 in September 2015. How would you go about setting things up for the easiest transition?

Just because I'm ignorant, are you supposed to take the first RMD in the year in which you turn 70.5? I know there is a deadline in April the next year, I'm just not sure when the first RMD is due and when it is overdue but still payable without penalty.

I also don't know when you get your first notice from the TSP that an RMD will be due. If anyone knows that, it would be helpful. I'm beginning to suspect that you get the notice after the best time to set things in motion....the reason for this thread.
partner

Re: Preparing for RMD from TSP

Post by partner »

I don't think I ever got anything from TSP notifying me about the RMD. I did from Vanguard.
Topic Author
retiredjg

Post by retiredjg »

For the one you got from Vanguard, did you get it early enough to take the RMD in the year you actually turned 70.5? Or in time to take it the following April?
partner

Post by partner »

I got it plenty early, Vanguard is on the ball with RMDs.
Your have until 4/15 after age 70.5 to make your first RMD. I chose not to wait because that would put 2 RMDs into that same calender year.
Topic Author
retiredjg

Post by retiredjg »

This is funny. I moved over to this thread so my question wouldn't hijack your thread.....and yet you and I are the only ones talking! :D

I'm guessing the smoothest way to do this is to start monthly payments, based on the life expectancy option, in the year you turn 69.5. Maybe late in the year, like November. Then it will already be in place for the year you turn 70.5 and the TSP will always calculate it for you and you don't have to worry about it.

It seems if you wait till during the year you turn 70.5 to start the monthly payments based on life expectancy, it may be too late to get it all in by December. But one poster did say they will make an adjustment in December if needed. I also read that in a FEDweek publication, but I'd like to see that in a TSP publication before I depend on it.
Sam I Am

Post by Sam I Am »

Message deleted.
Last edited by Sam I Am on Sun Oct 06, 2013 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

retiredjg wrote:This is funny. I moved over to this thread so my question wouldn't hijack your thread.....and yet you and I are the only ones talking! :D
I am monitoring this thread but I don't have anything to contribute. I hope by the time I need RMDs, all issues will be resolved.

Victoria
Inventor of the Bogleheads Secret Handshake | Winner of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
Topic Author
retiredjg

Post by retiredjg »

Sam I Am wrote:This might be useful:

https://www.tsp.gov/PDF/formspubs/tsp-776.pdf

Sam I Am
Tee hee. I hope not to need the information for beneficiaries. Although I should print it out and put it in my "Nephew, start here to take care of my stuff" file. :D
Old Guy

Post by Old Guy »

As noted in the TSP link above, they will make up any shortage in the RMD. You can delay the first RMD until the year after you turn 70.5, but I chose not to do that since I intend to work the full year in 2014 and I do not want to increase my taxes by having two TSP RMDs in one year on top of my salary and civil service retirement and another RMD.
Groundhog

Post by Groundhog »

TSP-70 Request for Full Withdrawal contains some good information. Section IV, #23 select c. - 100% TSP Monthly Payments and check the box "Compute my payments based on my life expectancy".

Per the instructions
"If you choose to have the TSP compute your payments, we will use the IRS Single Life Table, Treas. Reg. 1.401(a)(9)-9, Q&A 1
(for participants who are under age 70 after June 30 of the calendar year when payments are calculated) or the Uniform Lifetime
Table, Treas. Reg. 1.401(a)(9)-9, Q&A 2 (for participants who turn age 70 before July 1 of that year)
."

Based on that if you wait until the year you turn 70.5 your payments will based on the Uniform Lifetime Table to satisfy the RMD. I would think doing so in January of that year would be best also as I don't know how it would work if you waited until late in the year. Once things start it should be auto pilot from there.

I still have about 14 years to figure this all out!
ndchamp

Post by ndchamp »

TSP did send me a letter a few months before the year I turned RMD age.
October? November? Of course, at that point the exact monthly payment can't be determined. If I remember correctly, they also included the Forms and the Withdrawal booklet.
Plenty of time to get the needed (In my case) spousal signature and notarization.
Also, since the 1st payment doesn't go until the end of the month, I had about 3 weeks in January to submit the forms.
All in all, a very easy transaction.