Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
bagelhead

Post by bagelhead »

Last edited by bagelhead on Wed Jan 01, 2020 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
archbish99

Re: Funding a 401k while Retired

Post by archbish99 »

Certainly. My parents are retired, but have some SE income each year -- we're transferring that amount from their taxable account to a Roth IRA each year at tax time. This is the same thing.

There's an age restriction on Traditional IRAs; no such limit on 401ks.
Last edited by archbish99 on Sun Apr 21, 2013 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm not a financial advisor, I just play one on the Internet.
Saving$

Post by Saving$ »

If you have income from consulting, you can put up to $17.5 (+$5k catch up) as employee's contribution in a Self Employed 401k. The amount you put in cannot be more than the net from you business.

If your consulting nets more than $17.5k (+$5k catch up if applicable) the employer (your LLC) can also add 20% of net profits to the self employed 401k, up to about $50k combined employee and employer contributions.
Topic Author
bagelhead

Post by bagelhead »

Last edited by bagelhead on Wed Jan 01, 2020 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

archbish99 wrote:Certainly. My parents are retired, but have some SE income each year -- we're transferring that amount from their taxable account to a Roth IRA each year at tax time. This is the same thing.

There's an age restriction on Traditional IRAs; no such limit on 401ks.
I agree, my Dad just retired. He was collecting RMDs (Required Minimum Distribution) from his IRA while simultaneously contributing to a 401(k). :shock:

You must stop contributing to a Traditional IRA by age 70-1/2. See: Traditional IRA
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
archbish99

Post by archbish99 »

No change in SE taxes for the older self-employed, sadly. If they're higher earning years than the 35 factored into your SS benefit, then your benefit gets recalculated each year. You can also take your Medicare premiums (and supplement premiums) for the SE health insurance adjustment to income.
I'm not a financial advisor, I just play one on the Internet.