Free tax estimate software

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills

Free tax estimate software

Postby MN Finance » Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:34 am

Does anyone have a recommendation for very simple tax software along the lines of taxcaster by turbotax? Taxcaster works great but I'd like to have something that also includes state tax and possibility FICA taxes. I know that I can run scenarios in TurboTax itself, but I'd like just a quick 5 minute software that I could plug numbers in to (for ex, a good friend is about to retire; makes 100k in W2 income, which will now be $80k in SS, pension, and other income and would like to see how much less he pays in taxes). Doesn't have to be precise of course. I could probably build a spreadsheet but I'm not sure I'm quite that dangerous. Thanks!
MN Finance

Re: Free tax estimate software

Postby Watty » Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:08 am

You can make a dummy tax return in almost any tax software. You can even make a copy of this years return and use that as your dummy return. This will also do your stat taxes which is nice.
Watty

Postby MN Finance » Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:40 am

Thanks, understood, but it's not my return. So in this particular case I would have to go in an delete all my exemptions and deductions and change my age, etc. I just figured there was something out there to accomplish this easier.
MN Finance

Postby tfb » Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:08 pm

MN Finance wrote:Thanks, understood, but it's not my return. So in this particular case I would have to go in an delete all my exemptions and deductions and change my age, etc. I just figured there was something out there to accomplish this easier.

You can start a new return with no data.
Harry Sit, taking a break from the forums.
tfb

Return to Personal Finance (Not Investing)