Health insurance while traveling abroad

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
Olduvai

Health insurance while traveling abroad

Post by Olduvai »

What is the best way to obtain adequate health insurance while traveling abroad after retirement and on Medicare? Basic Medicare does not cover foreign travel. Is the "Foreign Travel Emergency" coverage provided in some of the Medicare supplemental plans adequate, or should we be buying specific travel insurance policies? If so, who sells them? Thanks.
ddunca1944

Re: Health insurance while traveling abroad

Post by ddunca1944 »

My Medigap policy covers foreign travel. I've never had to use it, so cannot say how adequate it is, but when I called, they told me it would cover anything Medicare did not.

Most trip insurance companies offer short term policies that cover medical care abroad. Keep in mind that health care in the US is the most expensive in the world. Even if you do have to pay out of pocket, it is unlikely to cost anywhere near as much as it does here. These policies are not cheap. If you plan a lot of international travel, it's probably worthwhile to buy a Medigap policy that covers international travel.

When we travel to remote areas, we always buy an emergency evacuation policy.

To find these policies, google "trip insurance". Last time, I used Insuremytrip.
Diogenes

Re: Health insurance while traveling abroad

Post by Diogenes »

Evac coverage is worth it, however regular supplemental policies are questionable. Keep in mind that virtually all places overseas will not bill your insurance company like is done in the States. We have BCBS which has great overseas coverage, however we pay cash up front and submit a claim. The good thing about BSBS is that you can now submit a claim by email or fax. Many other companies require mailed claims and have quite poor overseas coverage. Also, do not expect to get the same drugs that we have here. If you need regular non-narcotic medication bring it along (well marked bottles with a copy of the prescriptions).

Depending where you are (i.e. remote locations vs just a plane ride away) sometimes the best policy is quick treatment to make you stable and take that plane ride. More serious than that consider the evacuation policy.

_D_
Truth and clarity are important in all things...