correct info about EE & I bonds

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
rocket

correct info about EE & I bonds

Post by rocket »

Where do you find someone Face-to-face to give correct information about US Series EE and I bonds ???
The TreasuryDirect website is not user friendly.
I need to convert deceased person (B) bonds to A.
I need to convert A and Bs bonds to A only.
sscritic

Re: correct info about EE & I bonds

Post by sscritic »

Paper or plastic?
sscritic

Post by sscritic »

They have forms for these sorts of things. Did you find that page at TreasuryDirect? Google can help.
Angst

Post by Angst »

I don't know if you can still do that kind of thing at a bank, but I think you can still redeem savings bonds there.
If you haven't looked yet, download the pdf of the form(s) you need. They should be here:
http://www.treasurydirect.gov/NC/FoRMSH ... site=indiv
You need to read them. TD will respond to specific questions.
Last edited by Angst on Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gill

Post by Gill »

Federal Reserve Bank.
Bruce
Cost basis is redundant. One has a basis in an investment | One advises and gives advice | One should follow the principle of investing one's principal
Topic Author
rocket

Post by rocket »

sscritic wrote:They have forms for these sorts of things. Did you find that page at TreasuryDirect? Google can help.
Sure but what does "With ansd WithOut Administration" mean ??
Iorek

Post by Iorek »

rocket wrote:
sscritic wrote:They have forms for these sorts of things. Did you find that page at TreasuryDirect? Google can help.
Sure but what does "With ansd WithOut Administration" mean ??

That means is a probate court involved. This page has some pretty good information.
sscritic

Post by sscritic »

The word administer has meaning to the executor of an estate. The instructions for each form will help you. They tell you who should or should not use that particular form.

I am not sure about Iorek's answer. If you use your state's small estate declaration, is that involving a probate court? Is that still considered administered?
The estate is being settled in accordance with State statute such as Summary Administration, Small Estates Acts, Texas Muniment of Title, Louisiana Judgment of Possession, etc., without the necessity of the court appointing an administrator, executor, or similar legal representative.
Here is the title of my county's guide:
Transfer of Small Estates Without Probate
Iorek

Post by Iorek »

sscritic wrote:The word administer has meaning to the executor of an estate. The instructions for each form will help you. They tell you who should or should not use that particular form.

I am not sure about Iorek's answer. If you use your state's small estate declaration, is that involving a probate court? Is that still considered administered?
The estate is being settled in accordance with State statute such as Summary Administration, Small Estates Acts, Texas Muniment of Title, Louisiana Judgment of Possession, etc., without the necessity of the court appointing an administrator, executor, or similar legal representative.
Here is the title of my county's guide:
Transfer of Small Estates Without Probate
Well, if you click through the link, it has more detailed information--

"The instructions in this section are for the situation in which no person named on the bond is living and all of the following are true. The estate of the person who died (or who died last if two people are named on the bond)

has not been and will not be formally administered through a court
has not been and will not be settled under special provisions of state law relating to small estates
contains bonds totaling $100,000 or less in redemption value as of the date of death"
Flobes

Post by Flobes »

Rocket,

I PMed you the name and private line phone number of a person who in charge of bonds of the deceased at Treasury Department.

She helped me greatly when I was executor of two estates a few years ago.

:Flobes
Topic Author
rocket

Post by rocket »

Flobes wrote:Rocket, I PMed you the name and private line phone number of a person who in charge of bonds of the deceased at Treasury Department.
She helped me greatly when I was executor of two estates a few years ago. :Flobes
Thanks !!! I will give her a call.
Peter Foley

Post by Peter Foley »

Rocket

While not of any consolation to you, I struggled through the confusing documents myself when retitling inherited EE Bonds. As you point out, the instructions are meant to deal with a number of possible scenarios. Lost in all of this was the fact that a non probated transfer from a deceased bondholder to a living beneficiary or co-owner was fairly straight forward.