registered financial advisor [Looking for, Raleigh NC]

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
Whistle2

registered financial advisor [Looking for, Raleigh NC]

Post by Whistle2 »

I amd looking for a good registered financial advisor in the Raleigh, North Carolina area. Thank you.
mlewis

Re: registered financial advisor [Looking for, Raleigh NC]

Post by mlewis »

I don't know of one, but you might try searching through DFA's website.
http://www.dfaus.com/find_advisor/
Being authorized to use DFA funds (only certain advisors can, and not the public) of course does not necessarily mean they are a good RIA, but I think most good advisors that follow the Boglehead philosophy do use DFA to some degree and could be found through their website. It's a starting point anyway.

I've been compiling a list of "boglehead" style advisors that seem legitimate, but I haven't found any in NC. There are some I've listed in VA and SC, however,
good luck
http://passiveadvisors.wordpress.com/fi ... -advisors/

malcolm
rocket

Post by rocket »

Your list is rediculously incomplete. You probably omitted 98%.
rocket

Post by rocket »

mlewis wrote:I don't know of one, but you might try searching through DFA's website.
http://www.dfaus.com/find_advisor/
Being authorized to use DFA funds (only certain advisors can, and not the public) of course does not necessarily mean they are a good RIA, but I think most good advisors that follow the Boglehead philosophy do use DFA to some degree and could be found through their website. It's a starting point anyway. I've been compiling a list of "boglehead" style advisors that seem legitimate, but I haven't found any in NC. There are some I've listed in VA and SC, however, good luck http://passiveadvisors.wordpress.com/fi ... -advisors/ malcolm
The amount of money to open a DFA account is quite high.
ObliviousInvestor

Post by ObliviousInvestor »

I think the Garrett Planning Network is often a good place to check: http://garrettplanningnetwork.com/
Mike Piper | Roth is a name, not an acronym. If you type ROTH, you're just yelling about retirement accounts.
woof755

Post by woof755 »

Boglehead Steve Thorpe is a CFP in Durham
"By singing in harmony from the same page of the same investing hymnal, the Diehards drown out market noise." | | --Jason Zweig, quoted in The Bogleheads' Guide to Investing
MN Finance

Post by MN Finance »

IMO, you should describe what you're looking for and then ask people in the area who understand what you're looking for to make a personal recommendation... friends, family, etc. Or describe here what you are looking to achieve. There isn't a list of "registered" financial advisors. There are brokers, who need a license, there are RIAs who register with the state or SEC, there are insurance people who have a state license, and there are CFPs who simply hold a designation. And none of those really mean much in understanding the quality (though they do mean generally different business models). Anyone in the country can call themselves an "advisor" or a "planner" and get paid to give you advice, with a securities license get paid commission to sell a stock or mutual fund, with an insurance license get paid commission to sell insurance, or with a state registration charge an AUM fee.
tadamsmar

Post by tadamsmar »

you can find local fee-only advisers here:

http://www.napfa.org/

But I have no idea which, if any, are good.
mlewis

Post by mlewis »

rocket wrote:Your list is rediculously incomplete. You probably omitted 98%.
I started making the list a few months ago. If anybody knows of any advisors around the country who fullfil the two basic criteria (both fee-only and passive investments) I have set for it, please let me know. I know that it is incomplete. I've also posted here before asking people to help add to it- but nobody has responded really.
Send me a message or leave a comment on the page.

I think I have somewhere north of 60 advisors on the list. How many are there in the country? I really don't know, but I would bet in the low hundreds? If anybody can help add to it please do.

Malcolm
VgSince1982

Post by VgSince1982 »

Jay Barish at Symmetry Financial

I do not use a financial advisor, but Jay and his family are friends. I can speak to his character, dedication and intelligence. If I were looking to stop self-managing with Vanguard, I'd put him on a short list of people to interview.
MN Finance

Post by MN Finance »

mlewis wrote:
rocket wrote:Your list is rediculously incomplete. You probably omitted 98%.
I started making the list a few months ago. If anybody knows of any advisors around the country who fullfil the two basic criteria (both fee-only and passive investments) I have set for it, please let me know. I know that it is incomplete. I've also posted here before asking people to help add to it- but nobody has responded really.
Send me a message or leave a comment on the page.

I think I have somewhere north of 60 advisors on the list. How many are there in the country? I really don't know, but I would bet in the low hundreds? If anybody can help add to it please do.

Malcolm
I think this is a great idea, but it needs to be pointed out that the notion of "fee-only" (meaning simply paying for "independent" advice) really does not exist. There are a lot of firms that are fee-only and probably 99.9% also manage money for an AUM fee. As such, there is a huge incentive to sell you on their management services. There is simply no way economically that a firm can turn out enough financial plans for a fee to stay in business and pay everyone's freight. That said, for every firm that leads with fee-only planning as an entry to asset management, there are as many other firms that don't play the fee-only game at all and just manage money for a fee, so those are all eliminated in the search if fee-only is the ticket to entry to be viewed as independent. I'm not saying I agree that this is the way is should be, but it's the way that it is.