Hot water heater question

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
tc101

Hot water heater question

Post by tc101 »

I am selling a house I used to live in to someone who is going to completely gut it and rebuild it. I have renters there now, and they will be there for another two months. The hot water heater just started leaking. Should I replace it?
. | The most important thing you should know about me is that I am not an expert.
Toons

Re: Hot water heater question

Post by Toons »

Do the "Right" thing :happy
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
jimmyrules712

Post by jimmyrules712 »

I would contact the person you're selling it to and find out if they have any expectation for the house to come with a working hot water heater.

If not..you'll have to make a judgment call on if it can make it another two months...
BruceM

Post by BruceM »

3 questions:
How badly is it leaking?
Where is it leaking?
How old is the WH?

BruceM
OnBoard

Post by OnBoard »

Do you have a home warranty policy? If so, water heaters are covered.
Topic Author
tc101

Post by tc101 »

I did not make this clear enough. The house is being sold "as is". The will be spending over $100K on the rehab and would probably put in a larger hot water heater. My big concern is if it will last two months and what will happen if it doesn't last. What is the danger of letting it go too long?
3 questions:
How badly is it leaking?
Where is it leaking?
How old is the WH?
It leaks about one drop every 3 seconds.
I am not sure where it is leaking from. It come out of the bottom, not out of a pipe.
It is about 10 years old.
. | The most important thing you should know about me is that I am not an expert.
SimonJester

Post by SimonJester »

Two months is a LONG time for a leaking water heater. When it goes the entire bottom may go out dumping 30 or 40 gallons of water along with a steady flow of water from the inlet.

I would replace it with the cheapest water heater you can find.
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin
FNK

Post by FNK »

You could also reach out to the buyer and split the cost of a heater of his choice 50-50.

Although the bulk of the cost is the plumber anyway.

There's probably a market for used water heaters, too.
Topic Author
tc101

Post by tc101 »

Thanks for your help. I'll replace it with a cheap one. What does a cheap one cost?
BruceM

Post by BruceM »

It sounds like the WH has failed. The most common cause of a bottom leak is rust pinholes in the bottom of the tank, particularly if the water has a high mineral content.

As to the replacement, the cost will depend on the size (in gallons) the efficiency rating (insulation) and whether it is electric or gas. You'll probably get the best price at your local Home Depot.

BruceM
gd

Post by gd »

Call around to some plumbers to see if they have something useable second hand they'd slap in cheap.

I once rented a house that we all knew would be torn down soon and the land developed. The heating boiler (oil / hot water) had a leak. For 6 months we mopped the floor while the landlord insisted it was coming from the foundation next to the unit; we finally persuaded him to replace it with a second-hand boiler pulled out of a house expansion that needed a bigger model. He was a used car dealer, and made a deal with the plumbers-- used boiler for used work van. The oil burner wasn't set up properly and sort of exploded one night, and when the plumbers came to repair it they mentioned the van was rusted out. They got it working again but the burner chamber was cracked from the explosion, and the outside of the unit got so hot it would almost glow. So, fair deal all around. Best place I ever rented, oddly, and the longest I've ever lived anywhere since childhood. We got along great with the landlord, cheap rent and I did some work on the house, he helped me with some car repairs a few times and even sold me an adequate used car.
bluemarlin08

Post by bluemarlin08 »

You can get a 50gal water heater for about 300. Installation is fairly easy, I am not a handyman put my last 2 in myself. You will pay about the same price for installation.
rixer

Post by rixer »

If the water heater is in a closet inside the house, I'd replace it as soon as possible. If the rusted out bottom completely fails, your home could get some serious water damage. Even your insurance deductable would cost more than a wh replacement.
If it's in the garage, it's your call.
johnubc

Post by johnubc »

check out Craigs list for a used water heater - no sense in putting in a new water heater, if it is only going to be replaced anyway.
NateW

Post by NateW »

The urgency of replacing the water heater depends on whether or not the leak, if it gets bad, will damage the renter's property. If the water heater is in a drip pan with a drain, or next to a floor drain in a basement, I would not replace the waterheater unless it failed to work or the leak became so bad it used too much water and electricity/natural gas.

Otherwise, I'd replace it as economically as possible if the leak gets much worse.

--Nate
NateW

Post by NateW »

bluemarlin08 wrote:You can get a 50gal water heater for about 300. Installation is fairly easy, I am not a handyman put my last 2 in myself. You will pay about the same price for installation.
Dito on replacing it yourself. I replaced the one in our house with a GE natural gas 40 gallon one from Home Depot for about $450. In my location plumbers replace hot water heaters for about $1600. I did have to move the inlet and outlet water pipes a little and shorten the vent stack because the new one was about six inches taller than the old water heater. If you can't sweat solder copper pipe, it's easy to learn or you can use flexible (corregated) copper hook up pipes you can screw on.

--Nate
SteveNet

Post by SteveNet »

Having a leaking WH is akin to asking for a disaster.
It could turn into a major leak at any time especially considering the age of the heater.

And it will most likely happen in the middle of the night if you are on city water and don't have a pressure regulator installed.
City water pressure rises at night as most homes and business are not reliving the pressure in the community thru usage.
A small leak can turn into a huge leak and at a higher water pressure during the night will go unnoticed till morning yielding
a swimming pool of water flood when it finally gets discovered.

Change it.
Being frugal is hard to learn, but once learned is hard to stop.
TN_INVEST

Post by TN_INVEST »

The hot water heater just started leaking. Should I replace it?

Why the heck are you heating HOT water? :mrgreen: :D :P I had to do it. I couldn't stop myself.

"Lord please forgive me and may God bless the Pygmies in New Guinea"

I replaced ours a couple years ago. It wasn't all that difficult or expensive.

And then again, maybe some towels, sponges and/or a drip pan will help you limp home....just be sure to keep an eye on it.
bluemarlin08

Post by bluemarlin08 »

In addition, if the water heater bursts and causes damage and the insurance company asks if it had been leaking and you didn't fix it, your claim could be denied.
SteveNet

Post by SteveNet »

As far as a DIY installation, I have changed out about 5 or so Electric WH through the years. Not hard IF you know what you are doing.

IF you don't know what you are doing you could have some very bad experiences.
1. 220v electric
2. Plumbing, copper, pvc/cpvc Cold/Hot, PEX, the correct kind of glue for each. Teflon tape, Pressure relieve valve, expansion tank.

And thats just an electric one.

I...don't have a clue how to change out a Gas one and I don't know if I would give it a shot or not as I have never played with Gas WH's or owned one before.

There are people who should NEVER DIY with anything, if you are one of those hire a plumber.
If you know what your doing then go for it.
drs85

Post by drs85 »

I just had a new HVAC system installed, and while they did it they put in a higher efficiency water heater. The cost of just the water heater, and installation may have been lower due to the other things, was $675.
Daniel | "Knowledge is the only thing no one can ever take away from you" - My Father
NateH

Post by NateH »

there are places that rent / lease water heaters. might be one in your area.
4X top-twenty S&P 500 prognosticator. I'd start a newsletter, but it would only have one issue per year. | dumb investor during 1999 tech bubble, current slice & dicer.
HedgeHog

Post by HedgeHog »

Actually, it's called a "water heater," not a "hot water heater." I used to work at the local electric company and we used to joke about people saying this all the time. No need to heat up water that's already hot...
Topic Author
tc101

Post by tc101 »

I am having it replaced Monday. A cheap 40 gallon gas heater at home is $350. My handyman will charge another $400 to pick it up, repair wood under it and install it. I am not very handy myself. I will be spending $750 but I need to do it for the renters who will be there another 2 months. People here have convinced me of the danger of doing nothing for 2 months.
Abe

Post by Abe »

The hot water heater in one of my rentals went out recently. The renter is a licensed plumber. He said he charges $100.00 to replace water heaters and that is what he charged me. I bought a 40 gallon electric water heater at Lowes for $270.00 plus tax. Total cost was $370.00. One of the posters said that plumbers in his area charge $1,600.00 just to install a hot water heater. I don't know where he lives, but that sounds like a lot for installing a hot water heater.
Slow and steady wins the race.
Topic Author
tc101

Post by tc101 »

I don't see how you could afford to do it for $100, unless you sell the heater at a profit. I would like to find someone to do it for $100, but both of the guys I talked to wanted $400, but that included fittings, pick up and wood repair. On the other hand I can't imagine paying $1600.
Abe

Post by Abe »

tc101 wrote:I don't see how you could afford to do it for $100, unless you sell the heater at a profit. I would like to find someone to do it for $100, but both of the guys I talked to wanted $400, but that included fittings, pick up and wood repair. On the other hand I can't imagine paying $1600.
As I said, my renter is a licensed plumber. He actually works for a plumbing company, but he does work on the side including installing water heaters.That might be why he did it so cheap. Also I picked up the water heater at Lowes and brought it to him. He didn't have to go get it. The only thing he had to do was install it. Also, since I have rental properties, I am always looking for service people who are reasonable. I also called several places to get the cheapest price on the water heater.
SteveNet

Post by SteveNet »

tc101 wrote:I am having it replaced Monday. People here have convinced me of the danger of doing nothing for 2 months.
Good decision :sharebeer
NateW

Post by NateW »

Abe wrote:The hot water heater in one of my rentals went out recently. The renter is a licensed plumber. He said he charges $100.00 to replace water heaters and that is what he charged me. I bought a 40 gallon electric water heater at Lowes for $270.00 plus tax. Total cost was $370.00. One of the posters said that plumbers in his area charge $1,600.00 just to install a hot water heater. I don't know where he lives, but that sounds like a lot for installing a hot water heater.
That was me. Northern Virginia. Everything is expensive here.

--Nate
Abe

Post by Abe »

NateW wrote:
Abe wrote:The hot water heater in one of my rentals went out recently. The renter is a licensed plumber. He said he charges $100.00 to replace water heaters and that is what he charged me. I bought a 40 gallon electric water heater at Lowes for $270.00 plus tax. Total cost was $370.00. One of the posters said that plumbers in his area charge $1,600.00 just to install a hot water heater. I don't know where he lives, but that sounds like a lot for installing a hot water heater.
That was me. Northern Virginia. Everything is expensive here.

--Nate
Thanks Nate: I bet if you check around, even where you live, you could probably get it done much cheaper. Ask people who work at hardware stores and people who own rental properties if they could recommend someone who does this kind or work reasonably. A lot of time, people work for someone else, but they do it on the side. Their overhead is low so they can do it cheaper. I'm not trying to meddle, but just thought this might save you some money in the future.
yosh99

Post by yosh99 »

I just purchased a water heater from Sears on-line and paid $370 to have it installed. The Sears installer charged an additional $580 even though it was a simple 1 hour install bringing the total installation to $950. I called Sears to say I considered this excessive and a form of "bait and switch". The response from Sears was, "if you could have found a cheaper plumber, you should have used them". Needless to say I'm through with Sears forever.
Last edited by yosh99 on Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:22 pm, edited 5 times in total.
wshang

Post by wshang »

Timely question. My WH just started leaking one night. Wife and I spent two hours draining it, carrying the water up the stair to dump down the sink, as we have no floor drain.

Since it was a GE WH and under the 12 year warranty, HD honored a full replacement. A friend showed me how to use the "Shark Bite" flexible, no weld tubing. After hiring someone to get the old one up the stairs, and bring the new one back down from HD for $60, the two of us installed the new gas WH in about an hour for ~$50 parts.

SharkBite, whoever invented that is a genius and probably a multimillionaire.
FNK

Post by FNK »

Did you have to enter your personal PIN number in the automatic ATM machine to get cash for your residential DHW heater?
Phineas J. Whoopee

Post by Phineas J. Whoopee »

FNK wrote:Did you have to enter your personal PIN number in the automatic ATM machine to get cash for your residential DHW heater?
It's a good thing we have PIN numbers. If all we had were PI numbers we'd never finish entering them.
PJW
jayars35

Post by jayars35 »

yosh99 wrote:
I just purchased a water heater from Sears on-line and paid $370 to have it installed. The Sears installer charged an additional $580 even though it was a simple 1 hour install bringing the total installation to $950. I called Sears to say I considered this excessive and a form of "bait and switch". The response from Sears was, "if you could have found a cheaper plumber, you should have used them". Needless to say I'm through with Sears forever.
I don't understand. You paid $370 to have it installed and you paid $580 to have it installed?
Coach