Power of Attorney

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills

Power of Attorney

Postby mayoman » Sun Mar 10, 2013 8:48 pm

My mother who is 90 is in the final stages of Alzheimer's and is mentally incompetent. My sister living in the same town has POA for her. My father passed away several years ago. We have decided to sell my mom's car and use the proceeds for her ongoing care. Is my sister allowed to sign over the title to the purchasor since it was in my dad's and mom's name?
mayoman

Re: Power of Attorney

Postby LadyGeek » Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:08 pm

I have a POA for my parents. The fact that you have a document does not mean that it's in force. IOW, there are conditions stated in the document which define when your sister can assume the responsibilities. You can google for more information: when does poa take effect - Google Search, so you'll need to read what's in the POA document itself.

How to sign the documents is discussed in this forum.

I'm not answering your question, as I'm not a lawyer. But, this is what I know about POA and wanted to be sure this aspect was covered.

Aside from that, asking an attorney is always good advice.
To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Postby dm200 » Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:12 pm

There have been recent (last 2-3 years) changes in many (perhaps most) states regarding POAs. You may want to check with an attorney familiar with POAs in your state.
dm200

Postby Gill » Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:13 pm

You will likely need a copy of your father's death certificate along with the POA for your mother which should enable you to transfer the car.
Bruce
Gill

Postby LeyEily » Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:33 am

As far as the POA goes you will need to see what the terms of the agreement are and if that sort of an action is allowed. Was it created before your mother was showing signs of mental incompetence? Since your mother is currently in this state there is another agreement called the “durable” power of attorney, or enduring power of attorney, this is used so that the power of attorney is effective when the principal is incapacitated. You may even look into making that durable POA a “springing” POA, which is specifically for when the principal has already become disabled or mentally incompetent, you’d need a doctor’s certification for this. I’ve gathered all of this information from the Power of Attorney section of the Rocket Lawyer website. (I had to use this information before when I was in a similar situation)

There are definitely helpful resources for you to utilize, but ultimately you may need to consult with an attorney. Best of luck to you.
LeyEily

Postby mayoman » Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:57 pm

Thanks all for the help.
mayoman

Return to Personal Finance (Not Investing)