Airline strike. Any ideas?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills

Airline strike. Any ideas?

Postby mpt follower » Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:49 am

Does anyone have any experience with airline strikes? We are flying with Iberia from Madrid to Buenos Aires in March. Iberia's pilots are in dispute with management and have declared their intentions to strike right on the day that we are flying. What would you do?
Erwin
mpt follower

Re: Airline strike. Any ideas?

Postby Grt2bOutdoors » Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:42 am

mpt follower wrote:Does anyone have any experience with airline strikes? We are flying with Iberia from Madrid to Buenos Aires in March. Iberia's pilots are in dispute with management and have declared their intentions to strike right on the day that we are flying. What would you do?

A long time ago, I had the pleasure :oops: of flying through Italy during a labor dispute (Alitalia) between the ground crew and the Italian goverment - I along with all other flights were involuntarily layed over at the airlines expense for 2 days in Rome. I would find yourself a new airline unless you really like eating paella that much.
"Luck is not a strategy" Asking Portfolio Questions
Grt2bOutdoors

Postby Calm Man » Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:44 am

I would cancel.
Calm Man

Postby Sidney » Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:59 am

Calm Man wrote:I would cancel.

or rent an apartment in Madrid.
I always wanted to be a procrastinator.
Sidney

Postby jon-nyc » Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:19 pm

I would try to move the flight up a day or so.
jon-nyc

Postby Watty » Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:30 pm

I have not followed the boards but there is a Flyertalk board that is mostely about frequent flyer miles but there are lots knowlegable people over there. I would post your question over there.

http://www.flyertalk.com/

Be sure to check to see if that flight is actually an Iberia flight. You might get lucky and find out that it is actually some other airline that is a "code share" flight with Iberia.
Watty

Postby mpt follower » Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:39 am

Watty wrote:I have not followed the boards but there is a Flyertalk board that is mostely about frequent flyer miles but there are lots knowlegable people over there. I would post your question over there.

http://www.flyertalk.com/

Be sure to check to see if that flight is actually an Iberia flight. You might get lucky and find out that it is actually some other airline that is a "code share" flight with Iberia.

Thank you, very useful. By the way, I would gladly cancel and buy in another airline, but we have non refundable business class tickets. A nice chunk of money!
Erwin
mpt follower

Return to Personal Finance (Not Investing)