Not having kids was the best financial decision I ever made

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
McCharley

Not having kids was the best financial decision I ever made

Post by McCharley »

My friends who have children are all getting sucked dry by them, whatever their income level. It seems like those who make a lot more money do things like send their kids to private schools. And most of the couples I know with kids have one person who is underemployed. I know more than one person who pretty much breaks even working after factoring in day care, but they just want to stay employed. (Or staying home with Junior is not as engaging as working -- many parents have told me that. :D )

I don't mean this as a slam against having kids at all, but I have noticed that this decision has very much impacted me financially. Most people I know who have carefully considered whether to have children (as I did, years ago) have given economics some consideration, but the cost of kids is vastly underestimated. :moneybag
chaz

Re: Not having kids was the best financial decision I ever m

Post by chaz »

Lucky your parents had a child.
Chaz | | “Money is better than poverty, if only for financial reasons." Woody Allen | | http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page
xpy1999

Post by xpy1999 »

All other factors aside, raising kids is not a good investment financially.
WendyW

Post by WendyW »

Good financial decision, but a bad life decision. Kids aren't intended to be a profit-making scheme.
momar

Post by momar »

I wonder, when you are 60, if that 7th BMW will bring as much satisfaction as watching the Thanksgiving day games with your kids and grandkids.
"Index funds have a place in your portfolio, but you'll never beat the index with them." - Words of wisdom from a Fidelity rep
JoeMatye

Post by JoeMatye »

Or maybe not!
pennstater2005

Post by pennstater2005 »

Congratulations?
“If you think nobody cares if you're alive, try missing a couple of car payments.” – Earl Wilson
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

We found kids (we have 2) to be incredibly inexpensive and no impact on our early retirement, but apparently we are not normal.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
3CT_Paddler

Post by 3CT_Paddler »

Choosing to have kids is not a financial decision... its a personal one. Not everybody is up for the cost of parenting. And it will cost time, money, freedom and at times, your sanity.

But for me, the joy and fulfillment our little 9 month old has brough me in her short time far exceeds in value any achievement or expensive toy. But that is my own personal experience.
SSSS

Post by SSSS »

Let's guilt-trip people who don't want to have children into having them anyway... surely only good things could result from such an endeavor.
thomasbayarea

Post by thomasbayarea »

The best financial decision you made might also be the worst "life decision" you make.

There is a reason why a billion people worldwide have kids.
travellight

Post by travellight »

It is one of the worst financial decisions I have made, but also possibly the best life decision I have made. Funny how the two can be incongruous. Not that those who don't want kids should have them; I am just surprised at how great it has been, but I think I really lucked out.
travellight

Post by travellight »

Ya definitely never know; it is a bit of a roll of the dice.
monkey_business

Post by monkey_business »

3CT_Paddler wrote:Choosing to have kids is not a financial decision... its a personal one.
It's not a financial decision if you have the finances...
Jeff7

Post by Jeff7 »

Many people want kids, some don't. Each person evaluates costs and returns, both financial and emotional, differently. That's about all there is to it.
wbond

Post by wbond »

I assume that the OP carefully crafted his message intentionally to elicit the above responses. And in doing so he is highlighting the looming demographic crisis in the developed countries brought on by the crash in fertility rates coupled with advancing life expectancies and Entitlement programs for the elderly. As such, this is entirely political and, and hence off-limits. Don't bite.

Or perhaps he's planning to write a parody of Adam Smith: The Wealth of Shakers.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

This thread has run its course and is locked. See: Forum Policy
Locked Topics

Moderators or site admins may lock a topic (set it so no more replies may be added) when a violation of posting policy has occurred. Occasionally, even if there are no overt violations of posting policy, a topic (or thread) will reach a point where the information content of the discussion has been essentially exhausted and further replies are much more likely to cause distress to the community than add anything of value.

Topics are locked to give everyone a chance to cool down. Thus if a topic is locked, please do not start up another thread to continue the discussion, at least right away. Such follow-on threads may be deleted without warning.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.