do you charge everything to 1 credit card?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
frugalhen

do you charge everything to 1 credit card?

Post by frugalhen »

Do you try to take advantage of charging all possible bills to one credit card for cash back or rewards purposes?

I think it takes some discipline to not overspend when using credit, but if one has the discipline, I don't see any reason not to take advantage of rewards deals.

Do bogleheads adhere to this or try to pay cash on everything possible?

-Curious
"get out and live, you are dead an awfully long time" - Jimmy Demaret
Col Klink

Re: do you charge everything to 1 credit card?

Post by Col Klink »

Yes, to take advantage of getting the cash back instead of handing the cash out. The amount back is about $500 / year. 8-)
I am not a licensed financial professional. Any comments made herein are my opinion only and should not be construed as professional advice.
Go Blue 99

Post by Go Blue 99 »

We use our Chase Freedom for most of our charges. We also have a Delta AMEX, but only use it for Delta flights or Costco purchases.
fcox85

Post by fcox85 »

I charge all expenses that I can to one credit card. My wife also does the same with her only CC, but when we are together (as we often are), we use my card. I simply use the card with the highest limit, and pay it off one or two times during the course of a month. I track all my spending/income meticulously, so the risk of running up balances is non-existent, as I only spend what I have budgeted in cash for the month, regardless of the source of the spending at the point of sale (debit, CC, cash, check, etc.).

The only reason I don't use my CC for Bill Pay transactions (even though it is an available source from my online banking) is that there is no "grace period" given for Bill Pay transactions through my bank, as there usually is with normal CC swipes. In other words, interest begins to accrue on any Bill Pay transaction immediately upon use of my CC, rather than after 30 days. I find this particularly annoying, as I do not spend money that I don't have the cash to cover, and I wouldn't mind the extra cash-back points.
midareff

Post by midareff »

AMEX Blue Cash Preferred for 6% back on groceries. PenFed gas card for 5% back on gas, Discover 5% (+ another 2% on some days for certain categories), FIDO AMEX for 2% back on everything else and the FIDO Visa for 1 1/2 % back for those who don't take AMEX. Most are on monthly autopay in full. I'm guessing > $1200 annually in cash back.
Toons

Post by Toons »

Never had a problem using a credit card for spending. I use Amazon rewards card for many but not
all purchases. :happy
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
sscritic

Post by sscritic »

My basic card is 1.25% back. It is not accepted everywhere. Then I use my 1% back card. But there are promotions. Right now two of my other cards are running 5% back (up to a limit). One is for restaurants; one is for everything. I use the restaurant card in restaurants and the other card everywhere else to get the max. That's four cards. I sometimes use some others, but rarely.

Let's see. Amex, Visa, MC, and Discover; those are the basic four (I also have some spare Visas).

Edit: I forgot the specific promos. Refill your Starbucks card with at least $20 and get $5 back using card A. That's 25% cash back.
NAVigator

Post by NAVigator »

I have several cards, but really only use one for the cash back rewards. I seldom use cash except for small purchases.

Jerry
"I was born with nothing and I have most of it left."
Sam I Am

Post by Sam I Am »

Message deleted.
Last edited by Sam I Am on Sun Oct 06, 2013 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mhc

Post by mhc »

I use one card and charge most things so I can get the cash back. I prefer cash for the anonymity, but I'm not going to pass on the cash.
52% TSM, 23% TISM, 24.5% TBM, 0.5% cash
WHL

Post by WHL »

I bounce around from card to card, gathering all of the sign-up bonuses I can. Currently working on the Chase Ink Plus, which requires a 5k spend in the first three months. Business expenses help :)

After this one is complete, I will be signing up for four more credit cards for Hilton Honors points. When those are done, I will find something else. And on it goes...
Supermercado

Post by Supermercado »

I charge as much as possible to my 2% cash back Fidelity Amex. The card I used primarily before that was my Chase Amazon.com Visa, I still use that for anything I buy at Amazon. I also have my oldest and biggest limit card set to pay my Netflix bill so it keeps activity on the card and keeps the account open. I've got another card that I used before the Amazon.com card tied to my iTunes account so it gets billed for the occasional app purchase I make for my phone or iPad. Seems like a good way to maximize rewards for my spending habits but also not let old accounts get closed down.
EternalOptimist

Post by EternalOptimist »

I put about 90% on 1 card--Chase Sapphire for cash, and the remaining 10% on assorted other things like online purchases.
"When nothing goes right....go left"
archbish99

Post by archbish99 »

We have a trifecta of cards.... A Discover Escape card (2% back), a Delta AmEx for places that don't take Discover, and a UPromise MasterCard for places that don't take AmEx either. The UPromise card has occasional promos that move it ahead of the other two (5% on groceries this quarter, for example, or 4% at certain restaurants).
I'm not a financial advisor, I just play one on the Internet.
retiredjg

Post by retiredjg »

I use two cards. One stays with me (cash reward card) and one lives by the computer for on-line purchasing. I find it is easier to keep track with things that way.

I don't concentrate everything on the cash rewards card - I'd rather just use a debit card and be done with it.
Snow Boarder

Post by Snow Boarder »

I have to credit cards. One for everyday spending which every thing goes onto with a self directed $4k limit. I have had this card since 89 and the last time they up'd the credit limit without me asking for it I told them to leave the limit at $4k please. Yeah I have to pay on it mid cycle here and there to avoid hitting the limit but those emails from BofA telling you your card has only $1,500 of available credit on it sure keeps you accountable. I want to know that I won't get into trouble and will be able to pay it off every month. Last year I paid $3.48 interest on it and even then I was perturbed. The second is for emergency purposes only and carries a zero balance except for the once a month chare to keep cc company from closing the account.

To each his own but regardless of what people say, a mortgage and 2 credit cards are all you need to keep your credit in stellar shape.
Greenville (SC) Chapter Coordinator | greenvillebogleheads@gmail.com
linuxuser

Post by linuxuser »

Discover card for 2% on restaurants and gas. But you can only get a statement credit at $50.
I will probably stop using it when I reach $50.

Just got a Bank of America which is 3% on gas so I will be using it for gas except when Chase Freedom has 5% on gas.

BoA says 2% for groceries but I am not sure whether Walmart and Target classifies as "groceries".
With Barclays, they are.
bUU

Post by bUU »

Discover for 5% cash back Restaurants until end of March
AMEX for 2% cash back on Groceries and Fuel, Kohls and JC Penney
Amazon (Chase) VISA for everything else (3% on Amazon.com purchases, 1% on everything else)
archbish99

Post by archbish99 »

Snow Boarder wrote:I have to credit cards.
No one has to. They choose to. :wink:
Sheepdog

Post by Sheepdog »

i charge on 4 different reward cards based on which card will give the highest reward for that purchase...2% to 5%.
Unless you try to do something beyond what you have already mastered you will never grow. (Ralph Waldo Emerson)
MnD

Post by MnD »

Yes, 2% overall good for ~$1500/yr and we don't do categories. We use two cards simply because Costco doesn't take Visa and it's nice to have a backup card.
Sure beats what the bank is paying me in interest!
70/30 AA for life, Global market cap equity. Rebalance if fixed income <25% or >35%. Weighted ER< .10%. 5% of annual portfolio balance SWR, Proportional (to AA) withdrawals.
Snow Boarder

Post by Snow Boarder »

archbish99 wrote:
Snow Boarder wrote:I have to credit cards.
No one has to. They choose to. :wink:

Sorry for the typo. I choose to have 2 cards.
Greenville (SC) Chapter Coordinator | greenvillebogleheads@gmail.com
nightpharmer09

Post by nightpharmer09 »

PenFed Platium Rewards: 5% gas and 3% groceries (includes Walmart)
Discover or Chase Freedom: 5% rotating categories when applicable
Priceline Rewards: 2% everything else

Pay current balance on all cards every 2 weeks.
ddunca1944

Post by ddunca1944 »

We put the majority of our purchases on the Chase Freedom card (and at Costco on the Costco Amex). I use YNAB budgeting software to avoid over spending. I keep track of the running balance on the cc's and that amount is subtracted from the checking account balance. So I always have enough to pay off the cards in full.

Been doing this since 2008 without problems or paying a dime in fees. We get bout $600/yr in cash from Chase and almost $100/yr from Amex. Funds our Christmas spending.
Kosmo

Post by Kosmo »

I've got 2 cards and my wife has 3. I try to use whichever card has just cycled over to a new billing statement, or closest to it, so I can kick the can a little further down the street as to when I actually have to shell out the cash from the bank account. All cards have roughly the same cash back/bonuses.
Grasshopper

Post by Grasshopper »

Right now, Discover for restaurants, and secure card online. Chase Freedom for gas. CapOne for everything else and monthly trips to Mexico for eyeglasses, meds and cheap liquor. OK liquor is medical too. :beer
Bacchus01

Post by Bacchus01 »

Yep. All Discover for everything we possibly can. We charge about $5,500/month to it.

Back in the day, before all the silly new regs, I used to charge my BoA mortgage to my credit card each month. They frown on that now.

I've been with Discover forever. I love their customer service. They have never balked at a bad charge and just take care of it.

However, I'm not sure if I'm getting the best cash back.
Bill M

Post by Bill M »

We use two cards, one exclusively for online purchases, and one for everything else. The online one has the 0% liability guarantee. It seems every time I have to use paypal for an online purchase, fraudulent charges start appearing -- so the card is cancelled and replaced. Too much hassle if the primary card is constantly replaced.
Old Guy

Post by Old Guy »

I use my Marriott Rewards Black Card for everything. Like those Marriott points. My wife uses whatever she can dig out of her purse. Occasionally I yell at her to use the Marriott card. Waste of breath.
Eldendor

Post by Eldendor »

My spenders:

1. Amex Blue - 6% groceries
2. Penfed Platinum - 5% gas
3. Citi Forward - 5% Amazon, 5% restaurants, 5% movie theatres
4. Discover - rotating categories and shopdiscover portal
5. UsBank Cash+ - 5% home improvement, 5% bill pay
6. Chase Freedom - rotating categories
7. Barclay's Priceline - 2% everything else

I can understand not wanting to keep track of rotating categories, but there are good options out there without that, so I think you're missing out just charging to one card.
jeff1949

Post by jeff1949 »

Sam I Am wrote:I charge just about everything on my Priceline Visa card, which earns me 2% cash back.

So far as credit goes, I charge everything I can, with the exception of those charges which would cause me a fee, unless the cash back is larger than the fee.

I sometimes use another card due to different closing dates to smooth my spending if I have a very large purchase during the month.

And, at places like Home Depot and Best Buy, I sometimes use their credit card if the purchase is large and zero percent interest is offered for extended payments.

I always pay my cards off entirely, with the exception of extended, no interest charges.

Last year I did incur a charge of 70 cents for currency exchange, I bought something from Canada.

It does take discipline to manage credit, or any part of personal finances. What we did during our working careers was to always have our savings taken out of our paychecks automatically. Then, we never worried about spending what we had left. I can honestly say we lived paycheck to paycheck our entire careers. It worked well for us, saving was easy as we never saw the money. We had to adjust our rate sometimes, like lowering it some when our children started coming along, or raising it some when we received pay raises.

We were both fortunate to have 401k plans and pensions from our employers. We took full advantage of them, always contributing enough to get the maximum employer match. And, we also utilized IRAs for additional savings.

Sam I Am
+1 on all that except I do use a Costco AmEx card at Costco because they accept only that when I shop there. They have the cheapest gas prices too.
archbish99

Post by archbish99 »

Eldendor wrote:My spenders:

I can understand not wanting to keep track of rotating categories, but there are good options out there without that, so I think you're missing out just charging to one card.
Wow.
retiredjg

Post by retiredjg »

I bought a motorhome this last fall to use as an escape hatch later this year as I transition from my current home. I'm starting to think I need to get that Pen Fed Platinum Card for the 5% cash back on gasoline.... :happy

I generally don't follow these discount offers around because it is just too much trouble. But considering what I expect to pay for gas, this could be an exception. How long do these things tend to last? Will I just be jumping from one card to another?
Groundhog

Post by Groundhog »

I use several credit cards. I also carry a cheat sheet with me so I remember what to use where.
swyck

Post by swyck »

I use two cards, one for Internet purchases and one for point of sale purchases. Can't really articulate why, but IMO they are two different types of transactions and I'd just like to keep them separate. Both have some rewards, but I don't try to optimize my purchases.

My debit card is different from those two and only used for cash withdrawals from bank ATM.
Grasshopper

Post by Grasshopper »

Stickers, you need stickers( printable address labels).

Quidnam

Post by Quidnam »

Eldendor wrote:I can understand not wanting to keep track of rotating categories, but there are good options out there without that, so I think you're missing out just charging to one card.
True enough, but I just can't be bothered with all of that -- I have a real personal distaste for anything that feels like "game-playing" (even when it's potentially beneficial).

My wife and I essentially charge everything we can to Amex Blue Cash (the original version) and leave it at that (we have one backup card whose cashback terms I am not even particularly aware of).

The whole reason we're sticking with a straight cash-back program is so we don't feel like we're being led around from one gimmicky, highly-focused spending program to the next. Likewise, we don't have to deal with more ephemeral "points" that would require our active engagement to properly manage and maximize.

I was pretty thoroughly annoyed when Amex modified the Blue Cash program to force everyone onto their ecommerce site just to redeem your rebate (versus the automatic statement credit of yesteryear).
fsrph

Post by fsrph »

I use the Penfed Rewards card for almost everything. I keep two other cards (for the credit line) and use them a few times a year to keep them active.

Francis
"Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get." | Dale Carnegie
Quidnam

Post by Quidnam »

Bill M wrote:It seems every time I have to use paypal for an online purchase, fraudulent charges start appearing -- so the card is cancelled and replaced. Too much hassle if the primary card is constantly replaced.
You might consider the possibility that your computer has been hit with a security exploit of some kind (like a backdoor trojan or keylogger). I have shopped online for many years (from Amazon to mom-and-pops to Japanese auction sites and everything in between) and have never had even one fraudulent charge. At the end of the day, I'd say the risk of your account information either being intercepted in transmission or misused by a vendor is significantly less than that of security breach closer to home.

It may also be worth looking into a card that offers a "virtual account number" feature -- whereby unique, temporary card numbers are generated for online transactions. I've never used one myself, but this is the kind of thing they're designed for.
stan1

Post by stan1 »

frugalhen wrote: Do bogleheads adhere to this or try to pay cash on everything possible?

-Curious
Cash? What's that?
Warning: I am about 80% satisficer (accepting of good enough) and 20% maximizer
crowd79

Post by crowd79 »

stan1 wrote:
frugalhen wrote: Do bogleheads adhere to this or try to pay cash on everything possible?

-Curious
Cash? What's that?
I always pay cash at the local Mom and Pop stores, because those merchant fees really hit those businesses hard and some struggle to get by. As for the big box retailers and grocery stores and gas stations though, No. Always use credit.

6% AMEX for groceries all year. 3% gas in 2nd and 4th qtrs this year.
5% Chase Freedom for gas in 1st and 3rd qtrs this year.
1.5% Capital One Cash for everything else.
madbrain

Post by madbrain »

Eldendor wrote:My spenders:

Wow, that is a lot of cards. Don't you have to do a certain amount of spending on each of them until they will send you the rewards ?
That would be a problem, IMO.
Userdc

Post by Userdc »

I put most of my charges on an airline Amex. Given how often I travel and the multiplier effect and other perks that come with having status, I get a significant benefit from using this card, although I have never attempted to put a monetary value on it.

I have an Amazon Visa that I use for all Amazon transactions and when Amex isn't accepted.

I'm sure I'm leaving some rewards on the table, but I'd find it to be a headache to juggle more than 2 cards.
madbrain

Post by madbrain »

I use 2 cards. I charge everything I can to my Fidelity Amex with is 2% back, deposited automatically everything month to my Fidelity cash account as soon as there is at least $50 of rewards.
For places that don't accept Amex, I use the Fidelity Visa, which is 1.5% back, and otherwise same as the Fidelity Amex.
grabiner
Advisory Board

Post by grabiner »

I have three cards.

Chase United MileagePlus: general use for the best rewards. 1 mile is worth about 1.5 cents to me because I fly out of a United hub and can usually get frequent-flyer seats. About 90% of my spending is on this card.
Credit union: 1% reward, used online and for automatic billing, because I trust the credit union more than Chase if I have a problem with online purchases or bills getting renewed improperly. 8% of my spending is on this card.
JCPenney: used at JCPenney to take advantage of promotions, and to get volume discounts. 2% of my spending is on this card, but when I opened the card, I spent a lot more all at once to buy rugs for my new apartment (and get a discount).
Wiki David Grabiner
Bacchus01

Post by Bacchus01 »

How does the AMEX Blue treat groceries purchased at Wal Mart?

We buy at least $1,200/month at Wal Mart, almost entirey groceries, for our family of 5. Getting 6% would be a nice deal.
trudy

Post by trudy »

Yes. I have two credit cards. One is a backup. The other one pays 1% cash back. I don't want the hassle of messing with different cards with different cash back plans for different types of items.

However, I have started using cash for day to day small stuff. I find this helps me spend less.
trudy

Post by trudy »

Bacchus01 wrote:How does the AMEX Blue treat groceries purchased at Wal Mart?

We buy at least $1,200/month at Wal Mart, almost entirey groceries, for our family of 5. Getting 6% would be a nice deal.
i looked up the blue card. It is not as good as it sounds:
http://creditcardforum.com/rewards/232- ... catch.html
6miths

Post by 6miths »

1 cash back card on the personal side for wife and I. And a second cash back card for the business. Needless to say, haven't had an ongoing monthly balance for 30 years. No other cards.
'It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so!' Mark Twain
g$$

Post by g$$ »

No. I have several cash back cards that I cycle into my moneyclip regularly. I don't pay much attention to which one offers the best deal at the best location.

-g$$