Free Turbotax Premier Online for Fidelity users

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
cliffedelgado

Free Turbotax Premier Online for Fidelity users

Post by cliffedelgado »

Free Turbotax Premier Online (with e-filing) for people that have accounts at Fidelity. This is federal only. State is 36.99 extra. I believe this will also work for those with 401k at Fidelity. This would be another reason for people to use Turbotax.

You will need to login.

https://www.fidelity.com/premier

Has been reported to NOT work with chrome and Internet Explorer. Signed up myself through firefox.

Adding my later post in original one so more people will see the update:
Bad news folks. Seems it was a mistake and Fidelity/Turbotax disabled it. My account was showing a charge of $49.99 just now whereas yesterday it showed $0.

The good news is I chatted with Turbotax support online and they gave me a single-use code to still get premier for free. If you still want it for free, you'll need to contact Turbotax support. Sorry for the trouble.

edit: Forgot to add, they said with the code, state would be $27.99 instead of $36.99.
Last edited by cliffedelgado on Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
markenx

Re: Free Turbotax Premier Online for Fidelity users

Post by markenx »

It worked for me on IE, but had to click twice (a security prompt showed up and had to choose "Show all non secure content" in the first click). Probably the same issue on chrome.

Thanks for the link! Upgraded from 1 lower version :)
aua868s

Post by aua868s »

Bummer!...just bought the TT Premier a week ago in Amazon.com

Any way to return it?!

Regards
My Plan: * 50℅ US, 20℅ Int'l, 30℅ Fixed Income * Fixed Income: IRA CDs/Total Bond Mkt/Short Term Bond Mkt. * Everything over 4 months' expenses gets invested.
HueyLD

Post by HueyLD »

Last edited by HueyLD on Mon Feb 09, 2015 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SpringMan

Post by SpringMan »

I thought TurboTax Premier was an upgrade to TurboTax Deluxe. TurboTax Deluxe comes with one free state software, but no free e-file option for the state. I am surprised the Premier edition has no state. I personally prefer to install tax software on my computer and do my taxes. Vanguard's download allows for that. Fidelity only provides the online version. It looks like all Fidelity customers have free TurboTax access unlike Vanguard.
Best Wishes, SpringMan
bUU

Post by bUU »

I have TurboTax Premier (downloaded from Amazon.com). It does indeed have state tax software for one state included.

Both TurboTax Deluxe and Premier online versions (on Intuit's website) charge extra for state tax software.
amitb00

Post by amitb00 »

It worked like a charm from IE on my lapatop.
tfb

Post by tfb »

HueyLD wrote:
State is 36.99 extra
That's a non-starter.
Agree. Good deal for people in no-income-tax states though.
Harry Sit has left the forums.
Topic Author
cliffedelgado

Post by cliffedelgado »

Bad news folks. Seems it was a mistake and Fidelity/Turbotax disabled it. My account was showing a charge of $49.99 just now whereas yesterday it showed $0.

The good news is I chatted with Turbotax support online and they gave me a single-use code to still get premier for free. If you still want it for free, you'll need to contact Turbotax support. Sorry for the trouble.

edit: Forgot to add, they said with the code, state would be $27.99 instead of $36.99.
Timoneer

Post by Timoneer »

cliffedelgado wrote:Bad news folks. Seems it was a mistake and Fidelity/Turbotax disabled it. My account was showing a charge of $49.99 just now whereas yesterday it showed $0.

Where does it show the charge? When I started on my return a few days ago through the Fidelity link, I chose the free Premier option, but there is nothing appearing now that would indicate the change in cost. Will it simply be a bad surprise when I finish and file?
mtwoy

Post by mtwoy »

Timoneer wrote: Where does it show the charge? When I started on my return a few days ago through the Fidelity link, I chose the free Premier option, but there is nothing appearing now that would indicate the change in cost. Will it simply be a bad surprise when I finish and file?
While signed in to TT, click "Tools" at the top of the page, then click on "My Fees". It should provide the TT version and cost.
Alan S.

Post by Alan S. »

For some of these programs including IRS Free file fillable forms and most of the 17 independent free file offerings, you cannot file your state return for free. Therefore, you might consider selecting the best program for federal e file and simply mail the state a paper return. Most state returns spin off the federal numbers so it is a fairly simple matter to transfer your federal numbers to the state return.
Spades

Post by Spades »

cliffedelgado wrote:Free Turbotax Premier Online (with e-filing) for people that have accounts at Fidelity. This is federal only. State is 36.99 extra. I believe this will also work for those with 401k at Fidelity. This would be another reason for people to use Turbotax.

You will need to login.

https://www.fidelity.com/premier

Has been reported to NOT work with chrome and Internet Explorer. Signed up myself through firefox.
Score! Thanks for the link.

:sharebeer