Is Turbotax Free version enough?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills

Is Turbotax Free version enough?

Postby climber2020 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:58 am

I've used the online Turbotax Free version with no problems for the last 5 years.

For the first time in 2012, I have investments in a taxable account (everything in either Vanguard Total Stock or Total Intl). I also did a backdoor Roth for the first time, which I understand requires a form 8606. Other than these two events, nothing else has changed.

Has anyone in a similar situation used the free version and found it sufficient, or is it worth the $20 to go with Basic?
climber2020

Re: Is Turbotax Free version enough?

Postby Alan S. » Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:18 pm

Form 8606 is very basic, and I checked a few of these "free file" sites released today and they supported the 8606. Your free version is probably similar to the "tax freedom edition" included in these free file links. Of the 15 firms offering services, about half of them have age limits of 65 or lower, many use 52. If considering this service, if you are lucky you might find one that will e file both your state and federal for free:

http://apps.irs.gov/app/freeFile/jsp/index.jsp?ck
Alan S.

Postby Sheepdog » Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:54 pm

This year (today) I am having difficulty finding "free" software which will allow me to enter a 1099 B. If I do, it is no longer free.
I know.. I can afford to pay, but I haven't had to pay for years. (I haven't had a 1099 B for years, either.)
Jim
People should not say everything they think. They should think about everything they say.
Sheepdog

Postby Khanmots » Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:32 pm

Sheepdog, have you looked at TaxAct? I remember last year it's free version let me do everything I needed and they claim the free version "Includes All E-fileable Forms".
Khanmots

Postby Sheepdog » Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:16 pm

Khanmots wrote:Sheepdog, have you looked at TaxAct? I remember last year it's free version let me do everything I needed and they claim the free version "Includes All E-fileable Forms".

Thanks. Yes, I did look. TaxAct has free federal and state e-filing if your AGI is $51,000 or less and you are age 18 through 57 years old. If you are over 58, it isn't free, so that leaves me out.
People should not say everything they think. They should think about everything they say.
Sheepdog

Postby Khanmots » Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:34 pm

ah, hadn't realized there was the age restriction :(
Khanmots

Return to Personal Finance (Not Investing)