S corp car expense deductions

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills

S corp car expense deductions

Postby markfaix » Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:06 pm

I bought a car in Nov 2012 and used it for ~50% business use for a partnership I was a member of. The partnership does not reimburse car expenses, so each partner writes off their own car expenses on their personal tax returns.

On 1/1/13, I left the partnership and started a single-member S corp. The S corp does reimburse shareholders' car expenses.

For 2012, I plan to use the actual expenses method to deduct my business car use on my 1040. I know that if I deduct actual car expenses method on my 2012 1040, I cannot deduct the standard mileage rate for subsequent years' 1040.

However, for 2013, is it permissible for me to get reimbursement from the S corp at the standard mileage rate?
markfaix

Re: S corp car expense deductions

Postby SGM » Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:32 pm

I am not an accountant, but I was never able to deduct car expenses while having an s corp. Does the s corp own the car? I had considered buying a heavier truck/suv when one could deduct the whole cost in 1 year if it was primarily for business use and had over 6K pounds towing capacity. I chose not to do so, because I basically drove old cars. I don't know if the larger vehicle deduction is still available.

Several years ago my accountant told me the s corp could pay for mileage, but then I would have to add that onto my 1040 as income. It was a wash, so I just stopped keeping track of mileage, and stopped wasting any energy on this issue.
"Let us endeavor, so to live, that when we die, even the undertaker will be sorry." Mark Twain
SGM

Postby markfaix » Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:27 pm

@SGM:
I own the car as an individual.

Curious that your accountant said mileage reimbursement from an S corp is reportable as personal income. These sources suggest the mileage reimbursement for business use is only taxable to the extent that it exceeds the IRS standard rate:

http://smallbusiness.chron.com/auto-exp ... 37691.html
http://www.gedeonlawcpa.com/deduction-f ... rporation/
markfaix

Postby hicabob » Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:52 pm

My S-corp owned a pickup truck that my biz-partner used to pick up parts which we depreciated - gas/maint was a corporate expense - I expensed my personal mileage at the IRS rate ( $.55/mile ) which was counted as a corp. expense.
hicabob

Return to Personal Finance (Not Investing)