Please check my refi math/logic

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
SRenaeP

Please check my refi math/logic

Post by SRenaeP »

I'm 2.5 years into a 30 year mortgage. It's a PenFed 5/5 ARM with a current rate of 3.25%. PenFed has a 2.5% 10 FRM with a 1% origination fee. The current balance is ~$244K and my math says I'll save ~$7600 over the 10 year period, even accounting for the origination fee. Does that compute? If so, is there any reason NOT to refi? I have the cash to cover the origination fee (won't roll it into the principal) and can cover the increased minimum payments.

-Steph
Last edited by SRenaeP on Thu Apr 05, 2018 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ShowMeTheER

Re: Please check my refi math/logic

Post by ShowMeTheER »

0.75% interest savings in each of 8 years on a balance at that level... yeah, that checks out to me and sounds like a no-brainer even for your accelerated schedule.
icefr

Post by icefr »

I just did a refi with Schwab Bank, into a 5/1 ARM at 2.5%, no-cost to me. You might be able to get something similar, with no origination fee.
icefr

Post by icefr »

I ran a mortgage calculator and the regular payment on a 10 year FRM at 2.5% with a balance of $244,000 would be $2,303.96. Can you work that into your monthly budget? I would, personally, be hesitant to be forced to stick to that level of payments.

PenFed also has an enticing 1.99% Home Equity Loan: https://www.penfed.org/home-equity-loan ... r-10312012 It could be looked at as a 5 year FRM at 1.99%. I'm considering looking into that more thoroughly when the resulting monthly payment would be ~$2,000, i.e. a loan balance of ~$114,000.

You say you're maxing out your tax-advantaged space. Are you also buying i-bonds? You can buy at most $10k per year through TreasuryDirect directly.
Topic Author
SRenaeP

Post by SRenaeP »

icefr wrote:I just did a refi with Schwab Bank, into a 5/1 ARM at 2.5%, no-cost to me. You might be able to get something similar, with no origination fee.
How did you get it at no cost? I see a 2.25% 5/1 ARM at Schwab but the closing costs are $3370.

-Steph
Topic Author
SRenaeP

Post by SRenaeP »

icefr wrote:I ran a mortgage calculator and the regular payment on a 10 year FRM at 2.5% with a balance of $244,000 would be $2,303.96. Can you work that into your monthly budget? I would, personally, be hesitant to be forced to stick to that level of payments.

PenFed also has an enticing 1.99% Home Equity Loan: https://www.penfed.org/home-equity-loan ... r-10312012 It could be looked at as a 5 year FRM at 1.99%. I'm considering looking into that more thoroughly when the resulting monthly payment would be ~$2,000, i.e. a loan balance of ~$114,000.

You say you're maxing out your tax-advantaged space. Are you also buying i-bonds? You can buy at most $10k per year through TreasuryDirect directly.
I can afford the new $2300 payments. What's the advantage/benefit to buying I bonds instead of taxable investing?

-Steph
Last edited by SRenaeP on Thu Apr 05, 2018 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
icefr

Post by icefr »

SRenaeP wrote:
icefr wrote:I just did a refi with Schwab Bank, into a 5/1 ARM at 2.5%, no-cost to me. You might be able to get something similar, with no origination fee.
How did you get it at no cost? I see a 2.25% 5/1 ARM at Schwab but the closing costs are $3370.

-Steph
I saw that on the website, so I called and asked what the rate would be at no-cost. I had seen 2.25% on the website and it turned into 2.5% no-cost. I actually came out about $250 ahead by refinancing, which is just the upfront savings and ignores the future savings of reducing the interest rate from 3% to 2.5%.
icefr

Post by icefr »

SRenaeP wrote:What's the advantage/benefit to buying I bonds instead of taxable investing? If added to the existing 401k and IRA contributions, that's ~18% of new money in bonds every year.
With i-bonds, the interest can be tax-deferred until you redeem them [1] and they don't mature completely for 30 years. My (personal) plan is to pay off my mortgage (~4-5 years out) while maxing out the 401(k) and Roth IRA and then I'll use i-bonds and stock index funds in taxable outside of retirement accounts once the mortgage is paid off. I'm still researching i-bonds a bit more myself, but they seem intriguing.

[1] http://www.treasurydirect.gov/indiv/res ... nsider.htm
porcupine

Post by porcupine »

SRenaeP wrote:I'm 2.5 years into a 30 year mortgage. It's a PenFed 5/5 ARM with a current rate of 3.25% and I pay extra principal every month to have it paid off eight years from now. PenFed has a 2.5% 10 FRM with a 1% origination fee. The current balance is ~$244K and my math says I'll save ~$7600 over the 10 year period, even accounting for the origination fee. Does that compute? If so, is there any reason NOT to refi? I have the cash to cover the origination fee (won't roll it into the principal) and can cover the increased minimum payments. If I do refi, I'm thinking of not paying extra principal to stick to the eight year payoff plan but instead investing the money because after tax (I will continue to exceed the standard deduction), the interest rate will be crazy low. I'm already maxing all tax-advantaged space possible (401k, Roth IRA, SEP-IRA).

-Steph
When you go from Penfed to Penfed, wouldn't you have to pay more closing costs than just the origination fee? How much total are you paying per month currently and how high can you go? Do you have more money saved in addition to your emergency fund?

- Porcupine
Topic Author
SRenaeP

Post by SRenaeP »

porcupine wrote:
SRenaeP wrote:I'm 2.5 years into a 30 year mortgage. It's a PenFed 5/5 ARM with a current rate of 3.25% and I pay extra principal every month to have it paid off eight years from now. PenFed has a 2.5% 10 FRM with a 1% origination fee. The current balance is ~$244K and my math says I'll save ~$7600 over the 10 year period, even accounting for the origination fee. Does that compute? If so, is there any reason NOT to refi? I have the cash to cover the origination fee (won't roll it into the principal) and can cover the increased minimum payments. If I do refi, I'm thinking of not paying extra principal to stick to the eight year payoff plan but instead investing the money because after tax (I will continue to exceed the standard deduction), the interest rate will be crazy low. I'm already maxing all tax-advantaged space possible (401k, Roth IRA, SEP-IRA).

-Steph
When you go from Penfed to Penfed, wouldn't you have to pay more closing costs than just the origination fee? How much total are you paying per month currently and how high can you go? Do you have more money saved in addition to your emergency fund?

- Porcupine
I'm going to call PenFed tonight to verify but I would think the closing costs would be minimal since they've already done an appraisal, title search, etc. for the last refi.

-Steph
Last edited by SRenaeP on Thu Apr 05, 2018 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Watty

Post by Watty »

I'm 2.5 years into a 30 year mortgage. It's a PenFed 5/5 ARM with a current rate of 3.25%
One thing to check on is what the interest rate will change to in 2.5 years when it unlocks for the first time. Depending on what the rates are then it could bery well go down.