Happiness isn't just money - Happy Holidays!

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills

Happiness isn't just money - Happy Holidays!

Postby Browser » Thu Dec 27, 2012 1:56 pm

During this Cliff-ness Season, it's probably a good time to remember what's really important, courtesy of Paul Merriman:
http://www.marketwatch.com/story/five-great-lessons-for-retirees-2012-12-25

Lesson 1: Happiness in later life is not a direct result of how much money you have.
Lesson 2: People who plan are likely to prosper.
Lesson 3: The quality of your life is shaped by the quality of the people in your life.
Lesson 4: In order to have a successful retirement, you have to still be alive and at least reasonably healthy.
Lesson 5: Active trumps lazy, every time. (not necessarily in investing though).
If we have data, let’s look at data. If all we have are opinions, let’s go with mine. – Jim Barksdale
Browser

Re: Happiness isn't just money - Happy Holidays!

Postby bUU » Thu Dec 27, 2012 2:02 pm

The way I've heard it is, "Money isn't happiness; but debt is sadness" or something like that.
bUU

Postby NYBoglehead » Thu Dec 27, 2012 2:21 pm

I agree 100% that there is more to life than money. As in, don't obsess about becoming a multi-kajillionaire. Planning for retirement and being financially prudent does not mean you are missing out on life, and while money cannot buy happiness, there is no merit in squandering everything you have "living for today."
NYBoglehead

Postby bengal22 » Thu Dec 27, 2012 2:24 pm

money does not guarantee happiness but it certainly expands our options.
bengal22

Postby Browser » Thu Dec 27, 2012 2:26 pm

"Money doesn't buy you happiness. But it buys you a big enough yacht to sail right up to it." :) [no, not really but I always liked this one]
If we have data, let’s look at data. If all we have are opinions, let’s go with mine. – Jim Barksdale
Browser

Return to Personal Finance (Not Investing)