What's the max liability claim you've faced ?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.

What is the amount of largest liability claim you faced (auto or otherwise) ?

<50k
100%
50-100k
No votes
100-200k
No votes
200-300k
No votes
300-500k
No votes
500k - 1M
No votes
1M-2M
No votes
2M - 3M
No votes
3M - 5M
No votes
>5M
No votes

Total votes: 13

Topic Author
rex

What's the max liability claim you've faced ?

Post by rex »

Thanks to all who contributed to a related post regarding the typical umbrella boggleheads carry:
http://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtop ... 2&t=106274

This is a followup post to get some more perspective on the issue - what is the biggest auto liability claim (or other liability claim) you've had to deal with ? How did you pay for it ? This'll put some solid numbers behind the coverage we bogleheads need to carry. Please exclude IRS liens and child support claims when voting.

---------------

EDIT: Changing the title to reflect that we're interested in ANY type of liability claim, not just auto.
Last edited by rex on Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Grt2bOutdoors

Re: What's the max auto liability claim you've faced ?

Post by Grt2bOutdoors »

Zero. Accidents happen, however usually fault is not 100% unless you are deviating from required performance - like texting/holding a cell phone in your hand and talking while driving, being inebriated or under influence of narcotics/prescription drugs. Your question relates to dollar liability, but if you are operating a motor vehicle and it results in serious injury and/or death, your max auto liability claim will likely include incarceration time.
Someone I knew of growing up decided to operate a car while abusing prescription drugs, hit two people - one died at the scene, the other is missing limbs and suffered serious internal injuries - the driver is going to do "time". I would say that is the maximum auto liability claim you will ever face.
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions
sport

Post by sport »

Many years ago I caused a small auto accident. Apparently it was vehicle damage only. My insurance company took care of the damages to the other party and I never even was told how much was involved.
Call_Me_Op

Post by Call_Me_Op »

I think this poll would be more valuable if it were not limited to auto.
Best regards, -Op | | "In the middle of difficulty lies opportunity." Einstein
Topic Author
rex

Post by rex »

yes absolutely - please DONOT restrict your liability claims to just auto as Op mentioned.
Call_Me_Op

Post by Call_Me_Op »

rex,

You may want to modify the thread title to reflect this.
Best regards, -Op | | "In the middle of difficulty lies opportunity." Einstein
Topic Author
rex

Re: What's the max liability claim you've faced ?

Post by rex »

Thansk Op - I've changed the title of the post
Dale_G

Re: What's the max liability claim you've faced ?

Post by Dale_G »

I chose less than $50,000, but in my case it means less than $50 for the guy's bumper I scratched in 1961. We didn't know anything about whiplash in those days. Today it might be a $50,000 claim, but you would still need to get on your hands and knees to see the scratch.

Dale
Volatility is my friend