Mike Piper's "Social Security Made Simple"

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
JupiterJones

Mike Piper's "Social Security Made Simple"

Post by JupiterJones »

[Note: This thread was started back in October, 2012. The offer of a free copy of the book no longer stands.]

As he has done before, Mike Piper is making the electronic edition of his latest book free (and the dead-tree version a cheap $5) for a limited time.

http://www.obliviousinvestor.com/book-a ... de-simple/

Note that if you don't have an e-reader, you can still get the e-book and read it on your computer.

JJ
Last edited by JupiterJones on Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Stay on target! Stay on target!"
ObliviousInvestor

Re: Piper's "Social Security Made Simple" Free Until Friday

Post by ObliviousInvestor »

Thank you for sharing the book! I hope Bogleheads find it helpful in some way.

Here's the direct link right to Amazon in case that's more convenient: http://www.amazon.com/Social-Security-M ... ads.org-20

(edited to update link)
Last edited by ObliviousInvestor on Sat Oct 13, 2012 3:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mike Piper | Roth is a name, not an acronym. If you type ROTH, you're just yelling about retirement accounts.
Jay69

Post by Jay69 »

Very nice Mike, thank you

Jay
"Out of clutter, find simplicity” Albert Einstein
LowER

Post by LowER »

Last edited by LowER on Mon Nov 14, 2016 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dickenjb

Post by dickenjb »

Thanks Mike. Well written, concise and easy to understand.
Juniormint

Post by Juniormint »

Awesome. My kindle will be happy tonight.

Thanks Mike and JupiterJones!
CarlZ993

Post by CarlZ993 »

Zapped it over to my Kindle. Sweet!
Carl Z
Grasshopper

Post by Grasshopper »

Thanks Mike, us old retired guys need good advise.
ObliviousInvestor

As of this morning, the book has been downloaded (or purchased) by 1,700 people, and it already got its first review on Amazon. Unless the book gets mentioned in some other outlet, I suspect that will be the bulk of the downloads this week, given that most of my readers and most regular Bogleheads.org visitors will have already downloaded the book if they're interested.

Thank you all for contributing to a successful launch! :-)
Mike Piper | Roth is a name, not an acronym. If you type ROTH, you're just yelling about retirement accounts.
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

ObliviousInvestor wrote:As of this morning, the book has been downloaded (or purchased) by 1,700 people, and it already got its first review on Amazon. Unless the book gets mentioned in some other outlet, I suspect that will be the bulk of the downloads this week, given that most of my readers and most regular Bogleheads.org visitors will have already downloaded the book if they're interested.

Thank you all for contributing to a successful launch! :-)
Thank you, Mike.

I think as we read the book we should also post our reviews. That will help spreading Mike's wisdom beyond the Bogleheads,

Victoria
Inventor of the Bogleheads Secret Handshake | Winner of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
Taylor Larimore

Mike's latest book

Post by Taylor Larimore »

Mike:

I ordered your book.

Thank you for your gift and what I know will be solid information about social security.

Best wishes.
Taylor
"Simplicity is the master key to financial success." -- Jack Bogle
bengal22

Post by bengal22 »

Just downloaded it. Definitely worth every penny :D Seriously, though, it is very simple, consise, and factual. Will be very useful for me in 2 years when I make the big decision.

Thanks
"Earn All You Can; Give All You Can; Save All You Can." .... John Wesley
Ignis

Post by Ignis »

Not available in my location (Middle East). Someone remind me to get it when I get home... tomorrow!
SurfCityBill

Post by SurfCityBill »

Just downloaded. I'm still 10 years + from collecting but I figure it will take me that long to get a handle on the system, as well as any ensuring changes.

Thanks Mike,

-B
runner26

Post by runner26 »

Well I give up! I have a samsung tablet with a Kindle app that was preinstalled. I updated the app to the latest version, registered it with Amazon, it then allowed me to make the 'purchase'. I got an e-mail confirmation. It said it would download it to my device. Not that I can tell. I went to request a download again, and it said the request was already made, but I did it again. Still after several hours nothing. Clicking on the app, which in the beginning said I had no downloads, now just takes me to the Browser and the Amazon kindle store. I am not impressed with how this works...or...doesn't. They need a Steve.
ObliviousInvestor

runner26 wrote:Well I give up! I have a samsung tablet with a Kindle app that was preinstalled. I updated the app to the latest version, registered it with Amazon, it then allowed me to make the 'purchase'. I got an e-mail confirmation. It said it would download it to my device. Not that I can tell. I went to request a download again, and it said the request was already made, but I did it again. Still after several hours nothing. Clicking on the app, which in the beginning said I had no downloads, now just takes me to the Browser and the Amazon kindle store. I am not impressed with how this works...or...doesn't. They need a Steve.
I'm sorry to hear that you're having trouble getting the download to work.

I don't have a samsung tablet, so I'm not 100% certain what to do. But perhaps one of the following will help.

In the Kindle app on my mac or iPad, there is a choice to "Sync and check for new items." As long as I'm connected to the internet and the app is registered using the same Amazon account with which I made the purchase, the Kindle book I just purchased will appear when I click that item from the menu.

Or, on the Amazon website, on every page there should be a link in the top-right for "Your Account." If you click that, then scroll down to the "Digital Content" section, there is a link for "Manage Your Kindle." If you click that, you should get a list of all Kindle items you've purchased. To the right of each item, you can choose to have it re-sent to the Kindle device of your choice or to read it directly in your browser.

Alternatively, you could install the Kindle for PC or Kindle for Mac applications to read it from your primary computer.
runner26

Post by runner26 »

I finally just tried powering my device off and then back on, the old tried and true! Then the app came up as in the beginning, and the book downloaded just fine. Samsung's can be a bit flaky at times. Thanks!
ObliviousInvestor

runner26 wrote:I finally just tried powering my device off and then back on, the old tried and true! Then the app came up as in the beginning, and the book downloaded just fine. Samsung's can be a bit flaky at times. Thanks!
That's great! Thanks for persisting. I hope you find the book helpful in some way.
rustymutt

Post by rustymutt »

Thank you Mike. I've enjoy other books you've written.
Even educators need education. And some can be hard headed to the point of needing time out.
JamesSFO

Post by JamesSFO »

Thanks!
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

Hi Mike:

Downloaded and read your book. An excellent, easy-to-read resource covering a very complex subject. As an author, I know that's not easy to do, and I applaud you for pulling it off. Best of luck in your publishing ventures.

See you next week in Philly!
Best Regards - Mel | | Semper Fi
ObliviousInvestor

Thank you for such a compliment, Mel.

And, I'm looking forward to it!
englishgirl

Post by englishgirl »

Thanks Mike! I just downloaded it. I'm sure I'll get around to reading it at some point soon.
Sarah
Torg Fadum

Post by Torg Fadum »

Hi, Mike. Thanks! I downloaded it to my Kindle, immediately read Chp 11 When to Claim, and found the "Katie and Joe" example closest to our situation. Very helpful. Thanks, again. -Torg
N1CKV

Post by N1CKV »

Thanks Mike!
I donwloaded this yesterday and flipped through it real quick, but the information looks great. I did read the section that affects me the most - How government pensions will affect any potential social security revenues. I knew I was "4 credits" shy of hitting a minimum, I just didn't know how that "minimum" was calculated. You broke this down in a ridiculously easy to comprehend way. I have quite some time until I can hit any retirement age, but I'm OCD about knowing where I will land and this should help give me an idea of what to expect.
Angst

Post by Angst »

Hi Mike,
Thanks for the download!

One quick observation re: Kindle. I'm reading the book in Firefox which uses Kindle's "Cloud Reader" just fine, but the dictionary lookup seems to be somewhat lacking for finance specific words, e.g.:

FRA = "a title of address for a friar or brother"
PIA = "a female given name"

Perhaps Amazon can take the appropriate definitions from you for your book? Just thought I'd point it out.
I do look forward to reading it, and thanks again!

Angst
ObliviousInvestor

Angst wrote:One quick observation re: Kindle. I'm reading the book in Firefox which uses Kindle's "Cloud Reader" just fine, but the dictionary lookup seems to be somewhat lacking for finance specific words, e.g.:

FRA = "a title of address for a friar or brother"
PIA = "a female given name"

Perhaps Amazon can take the appropriate definitions from you for your book?
My understanding is that the built-in dictionary is simply The New Oxford American Dictionary. Unfortunately, I don't think I'm in a position to be able to add acronyms of my choosing. :)
Angst

Post by Angst »

ObliviousInvestor wrote:My understanding is that the built-in dictionary is simply The New Oxford American Dictionary. Unfortunately, I don't think I'm in a position to be able to add acronyms of my choosing. :)
That's too bad. It seems like such an obvious thing for e-books to address. There's always room for improvement.
Topic Author
JupiterJones

Post by JupiterJones »

runner26 wrote:I finally just tried powering my device off and then back on, the old tried and true! Then the app came up as in the beginning, and the book downloaded just fine. Samsung's can be a bit flaky at times. Thanks!

Obligatory "IT Crowd" link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nn2FB1P_Mn8

:D

JJ
pingo

Post by pingo »

I got mine and the wife got hers. Thank you, Mike!
burnsh

Post by burnsh »

Downloaded mine. Thanks!
Burnsh | ______________________________________ | VFIAX 17%, VVIAX 17%, VEXAX 16%, VTIAX 21%, VGSIX 9%, VIPSX 10%, VBMFX 10%
letsgobobby

Post by letsgobobby »

Sorry about this folks, but my version will not work on myKindle Touch. Every time I get to Loc 186 or 190 or 194, the next turn page takes me to the end notes. Working with Amazon support we restarted the kindle, deleted and redownloaded the book, archived and then reloaded the book, no help. I can read it online on the amazon cloud reader. I can read my other kindle books. They are looking into the problem and may temporarily make it unavailable while they do so. Has anyone else had this problem??!?
hudson

Post by hudson »

Thanks Mike!
I was reading your book about 1 minute after getting your email.
I read it all....slowly reading the parts that I perceived to fit me and skipping those that didn't apply.
++it was brief and to the point.
+++well organized...it fit my learning style
+I can reread any time any where on a computer, IPhone, IPad with the Kindle app.
At the end, It confirmed that my Social Security planning was on track.
Keep up the good work!
What's next?
2b2

Post by 2b2 »

Thanks very much, Mike.
I downloaded a copy and sent the link to a friend (non-Boglehead) who is mapping out his claiming strategy.
Very helpful !

2b2
ObliviousInvestor

letsgobobby wrote:Sorry about this folks, but my version will not work on myKindle Touch. Every time I get to Loc 186 or 190 or 194, the next turn page takes me to the end notes. Working with Amazon support we restarted the kindle, deleted and redownloaded the book, archived and then reloaded the book, no help. I can read it online on the amazon cloud reader. I can read my other kindle books. They are looking into the problem and may temporarily make it unavailable while they do so. Has anyone else had this problem??!?
For anybody who has downloaded the Kindle version and who cannot get it to work on their device, if you would like to send me a PM with your address, I'll be happy to have a print copy sent out to you. And, any information you can give about what device you're using and what specific problems you're experiencing would be appreciated so that I can pass it along to the people who actually created the Kindle file.
letsgobobby

Post by letsgobobby »

can anyone else confirm the ability to use a Kindle Touch and flip through all of Chapter 2? I keep getting routed to the End Notes. And the same problem happens, in the same place, on my Amazon Kindle ap for Android. However, I can read this section without difficulty on the Amazon Cloud reader.
Taylor Larimore

Last Day (Friday).

Post by Taylor Larimore »

Bogleheads:

Bumped. This is the last day for the free and $5 book price.

Best wishes.
Taylor
"Simplicity is the master key to financial success." -- Jack Bogle
tfb

Post by tfb »

letsgobobby wrote:can anyone else confirm the ability to use a Kindle Touch and flip through all of Chapter 2? I keep getting routed to the End Notes. And the same problem happens, in the same place, on my Amazon Kindle ap for Android. However, I can read this section without difficulty on the Amazon Cloud reader.
I have the same problem on Kindle Touch. After Loc 185 or so, if you touch the area of the page where normally it would go to the next page, it jumps to the end notes. However a finger swipe to the left works.
Harry Sit has left the forums.
letsgobobby

Post by letsgobobby »

Thank you for that info. Amazon has asked me for my log files, which I will send them tonight. I will attach this info as well.
ObliviousInvestor

letsgobobby wrote:Thank you for that info. Amazon has asked me for my log files, which I will send them tonight. I will attach this info as well.
I'm betting that this is a problem on my end rather than Amazon's end. (Most likely the html link to footnote #8 had its closing </a> tag omitted or put in the wrong place.) I'm working with my Kindle creation service provider to get it corrected as soon as possible.

Thank you both for the information.
webslinger

Post by webslinger »

We just received our copy of Mike Piper's "Social Security Made Simple".

I was pleasantly surprised to find a simple and concise, thoughtfully laid out book explaining the salient features of social security benefits each underpinned by concrete examples and practical use cases. I would highly recommend it to anyone who is just starting to think about retirement planning including the aspects of social security benefits. It would be the book you would want to READ FIRST to get a basic understanding of social security BEFORE delving into the SSA documentation. One use case covered our specific spouse/work situation and now we at least have a fundamental grasp of the filing/collecting benefits tradeoffs and some of the tax issues. Fortunately we still have a number of years to go before making decisions but it feels good to know that we now have some basic understanding of social security and can now incorporate with greater clarity the role of our SS benefits in our planning.

Thanks to forum members for pointing out this terrific resource.

Mike Piper - thank you!

Webslinger
ObliviousInvestor

Webslinger, thank you for taking the time to post such a positive review! I'm happy to hear you found the book helpful.
Yipee-Ki-O

Post by Yipee-Ki-O »

Like Webslinger, I found Social Security Made Simple was true to its title. It's very readable and informative. I have recommended it to several of my friends approaching retirement age.
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

Maybe JupiterJones or an admin should change the thread title, since it's no longer free (or at least I assume it isn't?)
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
Topic Author
JupiterJones

Post by JupiterJones »

nisiprius wrote:Maybe JupiterJones or an admin should change the thread title, since it's no longer free (or at least I assume it isn't?)
Good idea.

Done.

JJ
Viking65

Post by Viking65 »

ObliviousInvestor wrote:
letsgobobby wrote:Thank you for that info. Amazon has asked me for my log files, which I will send them tonight. I will attach this info as well.
I'm betting that this is a problem on my end rather than Amazon's end. (Most likely the html link to footnote #8 had its closing </a> tag omitted or put in the wrong place.) I'm working with my Kindle creation service provider to get it corrected as soon as possible.

Has anyone managed to get a fix for this problem yet? I experienced the same thing on my Kindle Touch (a tap leads to a jump to the footnotes rather than change pages), not only in Chapter 2, but also in a number of later chapters.
ObliviousInvestor

Viking65 wrote:
ObliviousInvestor wrote:

Has anyone managed to get a fix for this problem yet? I experienced the same thing on my Kindle Touch (a tap leads to a jump to the footnotes rather than change pages), not only in Chapter 2, but also in a number of later chapters.
The original file was coded improperly. Did you download the Kindle file back when it was free, or did you download it more recently?
Viking65

Post by Viking65 »

ObliviousInvestor wrote:
Viking65 wrote:
ObliviousInvestor wrote:

The original file was coded improperly. Did you download the Kindle file back when it was free, or did you download it more recently?
Thanks for your reply. I got it originally when it was free, but only read it a few weeks ago.
ObliviousInvestor

Viking65 wrote:
ObliviousInvestor wrote:
Viking65 wrote:
ObliviousInvestor wrote:

Thanks for your reply. I got it originally when it was free, but only read it a few weeks ago.
OK, in that case, there's no "fix" per se because the file you have was coded improperly. As tfb mentioned above, you should be able to use the "swipe" motion rather than tapping your screen in order to turn the pages.

Alternatively, if you want to pm me your mailing address, I'd be happy to ship you a print copy of the book.
tfb

Re: Mike Piper's "Social Security Made Simple"

Post by tfb »

ObliviousInvestor wrote:OK, in that case, there's no "fix" per se because the file you have was coded improperly. As tfb mentioned above, you should be able to use the "swipe" motion rather than tapping your screen in order to turn the pages.
If the copy on Amazon is already fixed, I wonder if you can just delete the current copy off the device and re-download it from Amazon. Amazon knows you bought it. It won't charge you again. I will test this tonight on my Kindle Touch.
Harry Sit has left the forums.