Re: Cell phones breaking budgets!

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
armeliusc

Post by armeliusc »

thomase wrote:You can originate (but not receive) free domestic calls via Gmail. It actually works quite well, provided you have a headset. A $20 headset I had laying around worked good.
You can receive too. Get a Google Voice number, then assign "Google Talk" as one of the "phone". Now if you call from gmail, your Google Voice number shows up as your caller ID. If someone calls you on that number, you can receive it on Gmail (as long as you're logged in).
That's the number that what DW and I have been using. No one really knows my actual pre-paid cell phone number (except my wife) which cost me $25 every 3 months (AT&T GoPhone). The same for DW. Even that I have too many minutes keep rolling over that I don't know what to do with, but the numbers expire every 3 months if we don't buy more minutes.
investor.saver1

Post by investor.saver1 »

Just went with Consumer Cellular. Had been with tracfone. My first monthly bill is about $26.00. That gets me 300 minutes of talk, 500 text messages and 50MB of data. Service is off the AT&T network which gives me good coverage. I paid $200 for a factory reconditioned Iphone 3GS. So far, the service has been excellent!!! This is such an upgrade from Tracfone. If I want, I can add a second line for $10/month and share service. Could have gotten a much cheaper phone. I really like the data plan which I did not have access to on Tracfone. I can also monitor my usage and upgrade or downgrade service at any time. So, if i use less service during a billing cycle, I can jump to an even cheaper plan for the entire month. If I use more service, I can jump to a bigger plan. Based on my limited experience, this is about as good as it gets for a full service plan.
Investor.Saver1 | | Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.
rallenal

Post by rallenal »

When I did the analysis, my conclusion was dump the land line and DSL and go to cell and 3-4G internet. <$100/month combined plus I don't get junk calls and can often get internet in all kinds of out of the way places without having to find a wifi place. I don't do TV but if you do that can change the analysis but of course increase your costs overall as well. You might do better yet with a tablet or smart phone alone for both but those are not compatible with the way I use the internet. I would say the title of this thread should be "telecom breaking budgets". Singling out cell phones because they were the last in the budget can lead to suboptimal results.
Topic Author
porcupine

Post by porcupine »

rallenal wrote:[...]I would say the title of this thread should be "telecom breaking budgets". Singling out cell phones because they were the last in the budget can lead to suboptimal results.
You do have a point. :happy For that matter, it is a question of how addicted to technology someone is, for it might even get to a 'technology breaking budgets' thread! :oops:

- Porcupine
Dan-in-Virginia

Post by Dan-in-Virginia »

The title should have been "smart phones breaking budgets"

Traditional cell phone service can be acquired cheaply. It's the transition to mobile computing that is changing the cost structure.

I have found that a Sprint family plan incuding my wife, daughter, and mother in law (where she transfers $ to us each month, keeping her phone expense level with her pre-smart-phone use) is pretty economical. I like the unlimited data. That was a concern of mine, but unfounded so far.
G12

Post by G12 »

We pay $140/month for two smart phones with unlimited talk/text and 4 Gbs of data, which is subsidized $60 month by my wife's employer, in addition to receiving a 22% discount, so that is roughly $80 a month, + $116 for HD cable/DVR/second box/Showtime and internet up to 30 Mbs. If it weren't for the company subsidization I would still be using the dumb cell phone. Approaching a monthly car payment status, of which we haven't had in 7-years. :moneybag
Itster

Post by Itster »

StillTired wrote:Wow, I can't believe we're the high spenders on this thread.

We spend in the $170/month range on our cell phones. That includes two smart phones with data (one of them has that feature that it can be used for wi-fi for you computer). Then three more lines that are phone/unlimited text only. DP is reimbursed for work for his part of the bill, so we actually pay under $50/month for the 4 uncovered phones.

DSL is $70/month. There are not a lot of options for DSL in our neighborhood :(

Unfortunately, I'm almost in your league here. Our cell is $105 (incl taxes) with Verizon: one dumb phone, one smart with unlimited data (but limited minutes). We just barely made the cutoff for 2 more years of unlimited data. Cable internet (phone/internet bundle, no TV) is $74 (which is $15 less than the DSL bundle we had previously). 30 down 5 up. I need both services for my job in IT, though.

At least the land-line has unlimited long distance, which we also need in this area because of the limited local calling range. If we call anywhere during the week and have to wait on hold we would use up our cell minutes quickly.
Tucumcari

Post by Tucumcari »

The key to saving $ is really understanding your usage patterns and then finding the optimum products to fit them. I had been paying about 50.00 a month for my Verizon cell but since I retired I don't really need a cell except for emergencies and traveling. I got an OOMA (leverage the internet if you are already paying for it!) which works great (unlimited calling) and costs 3.75 a month. I also got a cheapie Tmobile prepaid cell and buy 10.00 worth of minutes every three months -- adding some extra if needed when traveling etc. I also keep the Tmobile (turned off to keep the battery charged) in the car.

Monthly total is now 10.00 a month vs. 50.00 -- not a fortune mind you but every dollar counts. Initial investment was about 200.00 and paid for itself in 5 months.
Itster

Post by Itster »

Tucumcari wrote:The key to saving $ is really understanding your usage patterns and then finding the optimum products to fit them. I had been paying about 50.00 a month for my Verizon cell but since I retired I don't really need a cell except for emergencies and traveling. I got an OOMA (leverage the internet if you are already paying for it!) which works great (unlimited calling) and costs 3.75 a month. I also got a cheapie Tmobile prepaid cell and buy 10.00 worth of minutes every three months -- adding some extra if needed when traveling etc. I also keep the Tmobile (turned off to keep the battery charged) in the car.

Monthly total is now 10.00 a month vs. 50.00 -- not a fortune mind you but every dollar counts. Initial investment was about 200.00 and paid for itself in 5 months.
So the OOMA and, say, an internet-only account might be cheaper than the internet/phone bundle, correct?
Tucumcari

Post by Tucumcari »

crboone wrote:
Tucumcari wrote:The key to saving $ is really understanding your usage patterns and then finding the optimum products to fit them. I had been paying about 50.00 a month for my Verizon cell but since I retired I don't really need a cell except for emergencies and traveling. I got an OOMA (leverage the internet if you are already paying for it!) which works great (unlimited calling) and costs 3.75 a month. I also got a cheapie Tmobile prepaid cell and buy 10.00 worth of minutes every three months -- adding some extra if needed when traveling etc. I also keep the Tmobile (turned off to keep the battery charged) in the car.

So the OOMA and, say, an internet-only account might be cheaper than the internet/phone bundle, correct?
For me, definitely -- not to mention much better quality.
MoneyMarathon

Post by MoneyMarathon »

Time Warner Cable for internet - $22.50 per month, includes the rent for the modem

Netflix for TV substitute - $8 per month

Cellular service for me and my wife with T-Mobile, $79 per month combined plan.

my line - Unlimited Data, Unlimited Texting, 1000 shared minutes
her line - Unlimited Texting, 1000 shared minutes

I prefer all-you-can-eat so that I don't have to think about it or hesitate to use it. Never go over on minutes, but if I did expect to do so in one month, T-Mobile has a great option that you can turn on or off giving you unlimited calling to any mobile carrier (not just themselves) for $10 a month.

I am very pleased with the value of Time Warner Cable internet, Netflix, and T-Mobile. I'm using a four-year-old T-Mobile G1 android phone, and I am not paying anything for a monthly subsidy to cell phone manufacturers. When I want to replace it, I will. I save a few hundred bucks (over the lifetime of each phone I own) compared to those who do pay such subsidies. My wife, who isn't hooked on the smartphones, saves more than I do.
Ed 2

Post by Ed 2 »

land line only,don't need cell phone, what for??? about $25 plus dsl for $14.99 ATT,my wife has virgin prepaid phone $20 every 3 month
"The fund industry doesn't have a lot of heroes, but he (Bogle) is one of them," Russ Kinnel
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

TV - none
landline - none
cellphone - $20/3=$7 (Virgin Mobile)
Internet - $35-$12=$23 (after employer reimbursement)
Total: $30/month

Victoria
Inventor of the Bogleheads Secret Handshake | Winner of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
HongKonger

Post by HongKonger »

Mobile - $30/month
Internet: $23/month
centrifuge41

Post by centrifuge41 »

Personal cell phone: $10 per 120 days (just over $30 a year). Pageplus standard plan. (I have a company cell phone that I can use for personal uses in moderation).

Cable internet: 15 up, 3 down: $35 a month (negotiated promo good for 12 month period).

TV: free. basic local channels over the air on a powered antenna

"Landline" phone: Google voice. Great free outbound calling from pc. Not-so-great inbound routing to cell phone recently (seems like some calls don't come through and the cell phone doesn't end up ringing)

Total: 38/mo
magellan

Post by magellan »

Total recurring cost: $96/month
$48/month - Comcast Performance Internet
$24/month - Comcast basic cable (local broadcast channels only)
$10/month - Vonage landline (account-on-hold plan - we use google voice + Obi110 for outbound calls)
$7/month - His T-Mobile Smartphone (pay-as-you-go - includes calls at $.10/min, 4G at $3/day)
$6/month - Her Tracfone (Lifeline plan w/no minutes - feeding off 2k backlog of minutes)
$8/month - Netflix, (only for July and August)

Total amortized monthly equipment cost: ~$20/month
$700 - Tivo Premium XL w/lifetime (bought in 2012. Amortizes to ~$10/month)
$220 - HTC MyTouch 4G Smartphone, unlocked (bought in 2011)
$80 - Cable modem (bought in 2012)
$50 - OBi110 device for google voice (bought in 2011)
$50 - Vonage voice adapter (bought in 2002)
$40 - Tracfone phone (bought in 2006)
$60 - Roku for Netflix (bought in 2011)

We're pretty happy with the overall cost versus benefit. Internet and cable seems high for what we get, but not crazy. A smartphone on t-mobile's pay-as-you-go plan works well if you're not a big user but want flexibility for when you need it. I use mine mostly for voice calls and over wifi, but it's especially handy on those few occasions when I use it as a hotspot to provide Internet access to my tablet and/or our laptops.

Jim
mrspremise

Post by mrspremise »

I feel like a big spender here:

2 smartphones with unlimited data for as long as we don't upgrade our contracts and 700 minutes (which we never come close to): $130 a month including taxes (I use google voice for texts because I won't pay $20 more a month for a service that reduces my overall network utilization)
Cable tv & internet with HD channels and DVR: $150 a month (about once a year I negotiate a small discount for about 6 months, but I'm at full price right now)
No land line

I feel like I'm paying way too much, but we're both technophiles and there aren't many options that don't downgrade our service that are cheaper for more than 6 months.
HardKnocker

Post by HardKnocker »

Landline + DSL $57/mo

Cable TV $18/mo

Tracfone $7/mo
Last edited by HardKnocker on Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
“Gold gets dug out of the ground, then we melt it down, dig another hole, bury it again and pay people to stand around guarding it. It has no utility.”--Warren Buffett
Dandy

Post by Dandy »

I am spending a far more than I ever thought I would on electronics i.e. TV, internet, phone, cell phone. My wife and I have simple flipcell phones (no internet), basic cable TV, standard desktop Pc. No I phones, texting, tweeting, faster internet, kindle, premium channels, pay for view, DVR etc. It is amazing that such a minimal use of these products/services costs so much.

Yet, despite the costs I see almost everyone with a very sophisticated I phone. For some it is a business or social "necessity". Hey no doubt they are neat but so far haven't seen the need. As a retiree I don't have the business and currently don't have the social need for expanded electronics. Just amazed at the costs.
vasu100

Post by vasu100 »

I am on the wrong end of this

- 4xiphone-5 for the family (paid 1200 for the phones, 300 tax on the non-discounted price, 400 insurance = 1900 out of pocket)
- Verizon 6GB plan for 4 phones is 240/month

I saw an article recently that increased costs for cell phone data is eating into other expenses, and I see this in my family as well. For example we are eating out way less often than we used to (gone down from once-a-week with family to once-a-month - a lot more cooking at home these days, which I actually enjoy more). Plus I no longer have a movie-rental subscription. I also stopped my newspaper. In addition, I am now on the verge of dropping my landline (or maybe keeping it and going with a Vonage/VOIP line). Only thing holding me back is that my alarm does not work with VOIP/Vonage, so I will have to come up with an alternate solution for that. Still spending way to much on cellular, but I guess it is the cost of life these days - I know my teens are happy to have cell phones with data plans instead of restaurant meals !!
aja8888

Post by aja8888 »

vasu100 wrote:I am on the wrong end of this

- 4xiphone-5 for the family (paid 1200 for the phones, 300 tax on the non-discounted price, 400 insurance = 1900 out of pocket)
- Verizon 6GB plan for 4 phones is 240/month

I saw an article recently that increased costs for cell phone data is eating into other expenses, and I see this in my family as well. For example we are eating out way less often than we used to (gone down from once-a-week with family to once-a-month - a lot more cooking at home these days, which I actually enjoy more). Plus I no longer have a movie-rental subscription. I also stopped my newspaper. In addition, I am now on the verge of dropping my landline (or maybe keeping it and going with a Vonage/VOIP line). Only thing holding me back is that my alarm does not work with VOIP/Vonage, so I will have to come up with an alternate solution for that. Still spending way to much on cellular, but I guess it is the cost of life these days - I know my teens are happy to have cell phones with data plans instead of restaurant meals !!
The teens can have cell phones with data plans on PagePlus or Straight Talk for a lot less (and no contract or taxes). How did we get along without data plans for so long?

Get an alarm clock (remember those?)

The land line and newspaper are a waste of money (my opinion). For years my wife fought me on the land line and after I dropped it, she never mentions it. I used to make her answer all the 800 sales calls! :beer The paper is yesterday's news.
cleansparks

Post by cleansparks »

$30/month on the tmobile 100 minute and unlimited text/data pay as you go plan

$30/month on DSL

google voice for home phone - free

amazon prime for movies - currently get the student rate - $40/year
magellan

Post by magellan »

Dandy wrote:No I phones, texting, tweeting, faster internet, kindle, premium channels, pay for view, DVR etc. It is amazing that such a minimal use of these products/services costs so much.
...Hey no doubt they are neat but so far haven't seen the need. As a retiree I don't have the business and currently don't have the social need...
IMO, even if not 'needed', some gadgets can become indispensable. We just have basic broadcast cable, but Tivo still greatly improves our TV experience. It takes around 10 minutes to watch my 30 minute local news program, skipping over the commercials and fluff features. Commercial skipping alone probably reduces our weekly TV time from 10-15 hours to 7-10 hours. So for the $10-15 amortized that Tivo costs per month, we save 12 hours of wasted time.

That doesn't even consider the value of time shifting programs to watch what you want when you want. Of course, if you don't watch much network TV or enjoy commercials, your mileage will vary.

Jim
Buckeye

Post by Buckeye »

Two iphones...$135 a month (for us...worth every cent!)

Cable TV and cable Internet...$95 a month (decent value)
bluemarlin08

Post by bluemarlin08 »

I am getting killed:

225 per month for cell

250 per month for internet and cable
Tabulator

Post by Tabulator »

VictoriaF wrote:cellphone - $20/3=$7 (Virgin Mobile)
How does that work? If I could pay $7 per month per person for my family, I would. But I am not finding the details on the Virgin web site. Help?
legio XX

Post by legio XX »

Wow, the range here is wild.

Went from a $50/month plan to pay-as-you-go with T-Mobile. Cut bill to about $20/month.

The problem is that when I travel overseas, OK only a few weeks a year, but enough, no one can reach me unless they know my Euro cell no. (I put a few Euros on it each trip; never use it all.) This bothers me. If anyone knows a pay-as-you go that allows overseas roaming I'd like to hear about it. (I know it's not cheap - won't actually use it much, but it came in handy a few times.)

I have been thinking about a Smartphone, but no one seems to have a pay-as-you-go and the plans seems to start @ $70 plus fees/taxes. Not sure what that actually gets you; never followed up since it's more than I want to spend.

DSL costs $40 a month to Verizon for a dry loop (no land line) and it's sloooow. Too slow to make streaming video practical so no Netflix or Hulu. I did look into this a few years ago, and in NY unless you wanted a package there was nothing cheaper. TW Cable has an intro plan for $30, no doubt plus taxes and fees, but the likely jump at the end of the year makes it a non-starter.

So, I spend about $60 a month on I'net and cell and could use a bit more for the money.

Vic
ejvyas

Post by ejvyas »

$35/month for comcast internet + basic channels. I connect my laptop and stream other shows + use library for free movies
$50/month for stupid $$ATT$$ cell phone [Wife has ATT through employer so have to stay with ATT
RhymesWithOrange

Post by RhymesWithOrange »

legio XX wrote:Wow, the range here is wild.
The problem is that when I travel overseas, OK only a few weeks a year, but enough, no one can reach me unless they know my Euro cell no. (I put a few Euros on it each trip; never use it all.) This bothers me. If anyone knows a pay-as-you go that allows overseas roaming I'd like to hear about it. (I know it's not cheap - won't actually use it much, but it came in handy a few times.)
When I went to Europe last fall, I brought my unlocked phone and picked up a prepaid SIM for it when I arrived. I then set up my home phone VOIP (voip.ms) with a phone menu that had an option to call that prepaid's phone number. (I actually made this a hidden menu option, since I was paying for any call that connected, both with the VOIP's international calling rate and the prepaid's minutes.) So people who wanted to reach me immediately only had to call my home phone number and know about this hidden menu option.
interplanetjanet

Post by interplanetjanet »

multivoiced wrote:
VictoriaF wrote:cellphone - $20/3=$7 (Virgin Mobile)
How does that work? If I could pay $7 per month per person for my family, I would. But I am not finding the details on the Virgin web site. Help?
You have to "top up" your account with a minimum of $20 every 90 days to keep your account active.

-janet
legio XX

Post by legio XX »

Rhymes,

Thanks a lot! Never thought of this. I do have a VOIP number that I don't use much - MajicJack - and this gives me all kinds of ideas. Forward - forward - riiiing! Will see how it works out.

The reason I want to set this up is that a few years ago a friend of my mom's - close to 90 - happened to call while I was walking around in Italy. We had a nice chat, cost about a Euro a minute - and I wouldn't have missed it for the world. Crossing continents and generations was really cool so being connected "just in case" becomes important. BTW, it wasn't all fun - I got woke up at 3 am Italian time by my Tenants Rights Org :annoyed but, what the hey . . .

Thanks!
Vic
maple92

Post by maple92 »

Long time reader....first time poster......You all have inspired me to finally register and write in based on how well you are all saving from the cell phone / electronic creep that is crazily invading

Question....I am in the Philadelphia area and the bundling of internet plus phone is ridiculous to the point the price isvirtually the same (Verizon and Comcast are options).. I pay about 100 for internet and phone -- any suggestions or things I need to say or do?

Also, someone mentioned Consumer Cellular --- we have two Iphones one a 3 g and a 3GS (both ATT) --- would consumer cellular allow us to to use those phones and switch to them (presume we would still need their sims)

Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions
nobody102

Post by nobody102 »

Got rid of our ATT landline and replaced with Ooma Telo. Love It! Saved $60/mo.
gurujji

Post by gurujji »

Sunny Sarkar wrote: $30/month for cell phone: Old iPhone 3G with T-Mobile 1500 minutes+text & unlimited internet
which t-mobile plan is this , kindly share details . we have two phones paying $80 for 750mts (legacy plan), is it cost-efficient to have 2 individual plans or 1 family-plan ?
Gary

Post by Gary »

maple92 wrote:Long time reader....first time poster......You all have inspired me to finally register and write in based on how well you are all saving from the cell phone / electronic creep that is crazily invading

Question....I am in the Philadelphia area and the bundling of internet plus phone is ridiculous to the point the price isvirtually the same (Verizon and Comcast are options).. I pay about 100 for internet and phone -- any suggestions or things I need to say or do?

Also, someone mentioned Consumer Cellular --- we have two Iphones one a 3 g and a 3GS (both ATT) --- would consumer cellular allow us to to use those phones and switch to them (presume we would still need their sims)

Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions
The short answer is “yes”. Unlike other companies, you do not have to buy a phone from Consumer Cellular. You can just order a SIM card at no cost and plug it into your existing iPhone. However, you may or may not have to change some settings on your iPhone to get everything to work.

This link describes the procedure:

http://www.hickendesign.com/site/2012/0 ... -cellular/

If all of that technical stuff scares you, Consumer Cellular offers temporary SIM cards for those who wish to see if Consumer Cellular's service will work with their existing phones before committing to them.

A couple of caveats. You will not be able to send pictures with your texts unless you jail break your iPhone. Also, if you have an iPhone 4 or greater, you will have to cut up the SIM card they give you to make it fit into the smaller Micro-Sim slot. They do not offer Micro-Sims.

I am not a Consumer Cellular customer, but I am seriously considering switching to them.

--Gary
investor1

Post by investor1 »

Does anyone know of a better deal for a TV/internet bundle in the Portland, Oregon area than $100/month?

I am with Frontier now, but I think they are going to try to raise the rates on me soon (incentives expiring). I'm not that picky on speeds or channel lineups. I checked Comcast, but they seem to raise the price once you add DVR rental and modem rental. Also, they are using step-up model for their monthly prices. After installation fees, it looks like wash to me.
riots_rus

Post by riots_rus »

$0/mo, my work provides me with a flip phone and a basic plan. I'd like a smartphone but it's not worth the cost.

$2.98/mo, Skype unlimited. Basically my 'landline', I make most of my calls from home anyway and my computer is easily accessible so it makes sense.
epicahab

Post by epicahab »

Every Boglehead ought to have Virgin Mobile Beyond Talk, either 35/month for 300 talk minutes or 45/month for 1200 talk minutes. Add 3 bucks a month for taxes.

Unlimited web and texting (if you go crazy on web, they'll throttle you down a little. It has never happened to me in over a year).

My wife and I upgraded to 45/month and got rid of our landline.

You must buy a phone first, we got the LG Optimus V at Best Buy for 75 dollars each.
ilisira

Post by ilisira »

$130 for tripleplay from Comcast including the fastest internet they provide around here, and landline (as the wireless service around here is horrible, but it was just $10 extra), and our mobile phones are paid by our employers (both data+voice)..

Not that asked, but I also have gogo monthly plan ($40), and LTE USB stick ($50), but they are also company paid..

For google talk incoming/outgoing calls, I do recommend OBI100/110. With 110, you can connect a landline, and the google service as well, so outgoing international calls go through google.
magellan

Post by magellan »

ilisira wrote:For google talk incoming/outgoing calls, I do recommend OBI100/110. With 110, you can connect a landline, and the google service as well, so outgoing international calls go through google.
This is roughly how I configured my Obi110, except I have it set up so all outbound calls use Google Voice (not just international). Also, I connected my Vonage line to the Obi instead of a landline. I use Vonage for inbound calls and Google for outbound. I never give out my Google number.

It may seem crazy to use two VOIP services, but I had Vonage and Google Voice couldn't port my number and doesn't offer 911. Vonage has a $4.99/mo account-on-hold plan (somewhat hidden). With this plan, inbound calls are free and include caller ID, voicemail including email and voice-to-text, and location-based 911. It costs $10 a month with taxes and fees.

Jim
tetractys

Post by tetractys »

I've recently transitioned to free wi-fi and a $20/month Virgin Mobile plan. The phone cost $20, and there's sales tax, so it will come to about $285 for the coming year. -- Tet
2sls

Post by 2sls »

For those who don't mind living at the edge- Freedompop is offering free data plans, the usual caveats apply.
mikep

Post by mikep »

tetractys wrote:I've recently transitioned to free wi-fi and a $20/month Virgin Mobile plan. The phone cost $20, and there's sales tax, so it will come to about $285 for the coming year. -- Tet
Use top up cards to avoid sales tax with Virgin mobile. Get them at callingmart.com or Target. Also, target often runs 5% off sales, and you can get another 5% with a redcard and even an additional one time 5% from filling 5 prescriptions.
Topic Author
porcupine

Post by porcupine »

This article makes interesting reading as well.

- Porcupine
durazno

Post by durazno »

I have been paying $50/month for my basic cell through Sprint, which includes 450 daytime min and unlimited texts. I get a discount through my work. Would normally cost about $65, I think.

I've also had a work smart phone for the last two years but with no texts so it hasn't replaced my personal phone, since I'm a texter. But recently I found out the company gives new employees a 200 text plan per month. I was able to upgrade my plan to include the texts, and am going to be canceling my personal phone.

My roommates and I pay $43/month for internet, split three ways. Roommate covers Netflix and Hulu Plus.

So my expenses were $64/month and will now be $14/month.

Iced Tea
Padlin

Post by Padlin »

About $100 for land line, wife's cell, and DSL, work pays for my Iphone. I'd get rid of the land line but cell coverage is spotty up in the hills so we need it for the voice mail.
Regards | Bob
rjbraun

Post by rjbraun »

thomase wrote:You can originate (but not receive) free domestic calls via Gmail. It actually works quite well, provided you have a headset. A $20 headset I had laying around worked good.
Wow -- free domestic calls. So you mean any calls within the 50 United States (even 48 states would be fine, I don't have contacts in Hawaii or Alaska as a general matter). And apart from the need to be on the internet and use a headset, there's no perceptible difference for anyone on either side of the call (i.e., caller and callee), is that right?
rjbraun

Post by rjbraun »

peterkirby wrote:Time Warner Cable for internet - $22.50 per month, includes the rent for the modem
How did you get such a low rate? I think I pay about double that, and then only after I call them to plead and / or threaten to cancel my service. I live in NYC. I wonder if it's a geographical / regional thing? :annoyed
Curlyq

Post by Curlyq »

Last edited by Curlyq on Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Independent

Post by Independent »

We have two pre-paid phones with Verizon. I put $100 into each of them once per year. The plan we're on charges us $1.00 each day that we actually make a call, plus 10 cents per minute. We've found that we we don't use the entire $100.

Internet is DSL from Qwest. I should be talking to them about a cheaper plan, but it's about $35/mo.