2 Comma Club

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
Kuota Rider

2 Comma Club

Post by Kuota Rider »

There was a post early this year by someone who just had to share their new membership into the "2 Comma Club" because there was no one else to confide with. Well....today (counting equity in my primary residence), I joined the same club. I feel like the same poster did because we can't share financial news like this with a friend or neighbor.

Not sure how long it will last, but it sure feels good tonight.

Many thanks to this board for advice and assistance.

-M
NYBoglehead

Re: 2 Comma Club

Post by NYBoglehead »

Congrats! And may it continue to grow. Looking forward to getting there myself someday.
NAVigator

Post by NAVigator »

Congratulations on this accomplishment. It feels great now and it will continue to do so as you go forward.

Jerry
"I was born with nothing and I have most of it left."
CordMcNally

Post by CordMcNally »

You've already got 2 commas, what's adding another one on there? :D Congrats!
N1CKV

Post by N1CKV »

that's awesome, congrats on your accomplishment.

I have a ways to go to get there, but I have plenty of time to do it! I look forward to joining you in the years to come.
Sunny Sarkar

Post by Sunny Sarkar »

Congrats! Next stop: the "Enough" club.
"Buy-and-hold, long-term, all-market-index strategies, implemented at rock-bottom cost, are the surest of all routes to the accumulation of wealth" - John C. Bogle
mike143

Post by mike143 »

Congrats! :sharebeer
Nothing is free, someone pays...You can't spend your way to financial freedom.
nolabogle

Post by nolabogle »

Congratulations. I'm just sitting on the porch with the 1 comma puppies. I hope to run in the yard with the 2 comma big dogs sooner or later.
beardsworth

Post by beardsworth »

I am not in that "club," yet. But when I read such threads, I think: What a difference one letter can make. Just four years ago a lot of people were in the "two coma club." :) Let us hope it doesn't happen again.
hillman

Post by hillman »

Kuota Rider wrote:There was a post early this year by someone who just had to share their new membership into the "2 Comma Club" because there was no one else to confide with. Well....today (counting equity in my primary residence), I joined the same club. I feel like the same poster did because we can't share financial news like this with a friend or neighbor.

-M

Big whoop. Call me when you reach the three comma club. . .

No, seriously. Give me a call, we can do lunch, you can give me some money, it'll be a nice day. :wink:

Congratulations! It sounds like you've found a plan that works for you. Keep on keeping on. :sharebeer
englishgirl

Post by englishgirl »

Congrats!
Sarah
Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors »

Welcome to the club! :sharebeer
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions
Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors »

hillman wrote:
Kuota Rider wrote:There was a post early this year by someone who just had to share their new membership into the "2 Comma Club" because there was no one else to confide with. Well....today (counting equity in my primary residence), I joined the same club. I feel like the same poster did because we can't share financial news like this with a friend or neighbor.

-M

Big whoop. Call me when you reach the three comma club. . .

No, seriously. Give me a call, we can do lunch, you can give me some money, it'll be a nice day. :wink:

Congratulations! It sounds like you've found a plan that works for you. Keep on keeping on. :sharebeer
Yes, call me too - when you've reached a billion, you have it made.
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions
Muchtolearn

Post by Muchtolearn »

I searched but there was a dead link. What is 2 comma club?
Khanmots

Post by Khanmots »

Congrats!
Muchtolearn wrote:I searched but there was a dead link. What is 2 comma club?
How much do you have when you have two commas (or periods for those from certain non-US countries) in the number reflecting your net worth?
Last edited by Khanmots on Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
NYBoglehead

Post by NYBoglehead »

Confused

Post by Confused »

[Blanked for privacy]
Last edited by Confused on Fri Nov 06, 2015 12:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
CarlZ993

Post by CarlZ993 »

Congrats! Feels great, doesn't it?
Carl Z
robocop

Post by robocop »

Congrats! I hope to be there someday as well. For now I'm aiming for "positive net worth." We all have to start somewhere :).
mptfan

Post by mptfan »

robocop wrote:Congrats! I hope to be there someday as well. For now I'm aiming for "positive net worth." We all have to start somewhere :).
That is called the one comma club. :D

You are right, we all have to start somewhere, and I remember going from a negative net worth to a positive net worth, it's a worthy accomplishment, and a good feeling to be moving in the right direction. :beer
Muchtolearn

Post by Muchtolearn »

NYBoglehead wrote:
Ah, that's what I figured. I was going to say, and will say, congratulations to the OP. I do not know anymore if that is a good milestone or just a step in the right direction. Assets may not yield much if anything for quite a while based on what I am observing. We may or may not have severe structural issues in which case stocks may not go up much if at all and yields on bonds may stay very low. We know the Central bank is keeping yields on money markets at zero.
Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors »

Muchtolearn wrote:
NYBoglehead wrote:
Ah, that's what I figured. I was going to say, and will say, congratulations to the OP. I do not know anymore if that is a good milestone or just a step in the right direction. Assets may not yield much if anything for quite a while based on what I am observing. We may or may not have severe structural issues in which case stocks may not go up much if at all and yields on bonds may stay very low. We know the Central bank is keeping yields on money markets at zero.
You are being incentivized to invest - in yourself,assets and reduce leverage (every dollar you keep in house is another dollar that can be invested or spent more productively)
JupiterJones

Post by JupiterJones »

Khanmots wrote: How much do you have when you have two commas (or periods for those from certain non-US countries) in the number reflecting your net worth?
Are we talking net worth or retirement investments? I was never clear about which number gets you admission into the club.

In any case, either one is quite an accomplishment. Congrats to the OP!

:sharebeer

JJ
"Stay on target! Stay on target!"
nepats

Post by nepats »

Congratulations! Forward :)
Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors »

JupiterJones wrote:
Khanmots wrote: How much do you have when you have two commas (or periods for those from certain non-US countries) in the number reflecting your net worth?
Are we talking net worth or retirement investments? I was never clear about which number gets you admission into the club.

In any case, either one is quite an accomplishment. Congrats to the OP!

:sharebeer

JJ
According to the Bogleheads Guide to Investing - it includes retirement assets in calculation of networth. So the OP is in, though some believe in excluding home equity.
Woodshark

Post by Woodshark »

Welcome to the club. I consider our household in the two comma club. Ido include our vacation home but still exclude our primary residence. Regardless of how you figure it, it feels good to cross that major threshold.
serbeer

Post by serbeer »

Yey!!!
Tom_T

Post by Tom_T »

And if you're in the no-comma club, hang in there... :)
Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy »

mptfan wrote:
robocop wrote:Congrats! I hope to be there someday as well. For now I'm aiming for "positive net worth." We all have to start somewhere :).
That is called the one comma club. :D

You are right, we all have to start somewhere, and I remember going from a negative net worth to a positive net worth, it's a worthy accomplishment, and a good feeling to be moving in the right direction. :beer
At the beginning, it would actually be the zero comma club, or the "out of the red" club. The one comma club is likely to be quickly reached after reaching the zero comma club I would imagine.

I wouldn't know though, I'm still in the negative comma club like robocop. Bad timing at the home purchase and a refusal to just walk away solely because I'm underwater, when the house meets my needs in every other way, contributed the most to those negative commas. We do all have to start somewhere, some of us just have a spate of bad luck or bad timing at the beginning.
Topic Author
Kuota Rider

Post by Kuota Rider »

Woodshark wrote:Welcome to the club. I consider our household in the two comma club. Ido include our vacation home but still exclude our primary residence. Regardless of how you figure it, it feels good to cross that major threshold.
I prefer NOT to count my primary residence as well, but it still felt good being the first time that number was in my hed -- by any calculation.

Next milestone is w/o primary residence.

-M
JPH

Post by JPH »

Nice going. :sharebeer :sharebeer
While the moments do summersaults into eternity | Cling to their coattails and beg them to stay - Townes Van Zandt
HomerJ

Post by HomerJ »

Congrats!

It IS nice to have some people to share your accomplishments.
Boglenaut

Post by Boglenaut »

Seems like a lot of hassle to me. You'll have to reformat all your spreadsheets to accommodate the extra comma and the extra digit.

:wink:

$ :moneybag , :moneybag :moneybag :moneybag , :moneybag :moneybag :moneybag . :moneybag :moneybag

Too many digits to keep track of!
FelixTheCat

Post by FelixTheCat »

Congratulations! :beer
Felix is a wonderful, wonderful cat.
mickeyd

Post by mickeyd »

Congrats!!

My goal is still the 3 comma Club, but I always need to keep an eye on the folks in the one comma club that are also beckoning me to return to those days of yore. :shock:
Part-Owner of Texas | | “The CMH-the Cost Matters Hypothesis -is all that is needed to explain why indexing must and will work… Yes, it is that simple.” John C. Bogle
mike143

Post by mike143 »

Tom_T wrote:And if you're in the no-comma club, hang in there... :)
I use to take pride in running my checking into $0.xx, but at least I was on top of my finances. :mrgreen:
Nothing is free, someone pays...You can't spend your way to financial freedom.
joe8d

Post by joe8d »

Boglenaut wrote:Seems like a lot of hassle to me. You'll have to reformat all your spreadsheets to accommodate the extra comma and the extra digit.

:wink:

$ :moneybag , :moneybag :moneybag :moneybag , :moneybag :moneybag :moneybag . :moneybag :moneybag

Too many digits to keep track of!
Funny, that's how I found out that I hit it. Doing a monthly spreed sheet, Investment Assets only,and seeing all the x's in the Grand Total box.Added the the extra cell and BINGO :)
All the Best, | Joe
barber

Post by barber »

Congratulations!! We arrived at that level this year without inclusion of anything but investments. The biggest goal that was achieved was my Dad always hoped one of his children could attain this feat. I never expected it to be me. It was slow and steady investing and time. We hope it will be enough to keep us in retirement. I never feel overly confident about that. I hope that you enjoy the friuts of your accomplishment.
Muchtolearn

Post by Muchtolearn »

GRT2BOUTDOORS wrote:
Muchtolearn wrote:
NYBoglehead wrote:
You are being incentivized to invest - in yourself,assets and reduce leverage (every dollar you keep in house is another dollar that can be invested or spent more productively)
I think you are right. [Political comment removed by admin LadyGeek]

Post by 555 »

I'm half way there.
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

Congratulations :) .
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link: Bogleheads® investment philosophy
Peter Foley

Post by Peter Foley »

Congratulations from someone who may or may not be a member of the club.

To those who have posted to this thread - do you think your identities are well enough disguised so that you really can post anonymously?
SP-diceman

Post by SP-diceman »

CordMcNally wrote:You've already got 2 commas, what's adding another one on there?
2 commas dont buy what it use to. :)
The Wizard

Post by The Wizard »

Peter Foley wrote:Congratulations from someone who may or may not be a member of the club.

To those who have posted to this thread - do you think your identities are well enough disguised so that you really can post anonymously?
It hardly matters if we're anonymous or not when just talking about glittering generalities...
Attempted new signature...
baw703916

Post by baw703916 »

Only people in the U.S. can be in the Two Comma Club, by the way.
Most of my posts assume no behavioral errors.
NAVigator

Post by NAVigator »

Having two commas is a nice achievement, but the meaning and format may vary by currency and location.

In India, the notation would have this format, making it easier to reach 2 commas: 1,23,45,67,890.12
The Germans, Swiss, and French could never have a two-comma value;
Germany: 1.234.567.890,12
Switzerland: 1'234'567'890,12
France: 1 234 567 890,12

Jerry
"I was born with nothing and I have most of it left."
The Wizard

Post by The Wizard »

I think everybody realizes the "2 comma club" is just an amusing landmark we pass on the way to moderate wealth.
I used to get excited when my car's odometer rolled over, too...
Attempted new signature...
sscritic

Post by sscritic »

The Wizard wrote:I think everybody realizes the "2 comma club" is just an amusing landmark we pass on the way to moderate wealth.
I used to get excited when my car's odometer rolled over, too...
I would love my car to make it to the 2 comma club, but I think I will have to make do with the 1 comma club.
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

NAVigator wrote:Having two commas is a nice achievement, but the meaning and format may vary by currency and location.

In India, the notation would have this format, making it easier to reach 2 commas: 1,23,45,67,890.12
The Germans, Swiss, and French could never have a two-comma value;
Germany: 1.234.567.890,12
Switzerland: 1'234'567'890,12
France: 1 234 567 890,12

Jerry
Hi Jerry,

Do apostrophes count as commas? I am concerned about Swiss bankers who may be doomed to never join the two-comma club.

Victoria
Inventor of the Bogleheads Secret Handshake | Winner of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor »

-M

Theme song for you and the 2-comma club...... :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbad22CKlB4
Have a plan, stay the course and simplify. Then ignore the noise!