home phone service - 911

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills

home phone service - 911

Postby ramsfan » Sun Aug 19, 2012 9:22 pm

Hi - hoping someone can help with advice. We had home phone service through UVerse, it as something like $30 a month, but we rarely used it, as we have cell phones. So, I did what I thought was prudent, and cancelled the home phone service, as many people are doing these days.

However, my son has come down with a serious food allergy, and it caused us to realize that we don't have 911 service in our home, and need to.

Does anyone have any recommendations on low cost home phone service, primarily for 911 only?

Thanks!
ramsfan

Re: home phone service - 911

Postby livesoft » Sun Aug 19, 2012 9:24 pm

We have a so-called "safeline" which gives us 911 and toll-free calls and all incoming calls for a very low price. Outgoing non-toll-free calls are 50 cents. Check with your phone company. I think we pay under $10 a month for this.
It's all about short-term opportunistic rebalancing due to a short-term change in one's asset allocation, uh, I mean opportunistic rebalancing, uh I mean rebalancing, uh I mean market timing.
livesoft

Postby rasputin » Sun Aug 19, 2012 9:56 pm

Your cell phones are perfectly capable of dialing 911. The primary difference is that the dispatcher will know the general area you're in rather than the exact address.

considering that your primary concern is for your son's peanut allergy, this shouldn't slow down 911 at all since you only need a second to communicate your address.
rasputin

Postby Anon1234 » Sun Aug 19, 2012 10:01 pm

Ooma is $180 up front then $3.50 or so per month (taxes only, service is free) for unlimited calling. You register your address when you sign up so 911 knows where you're calling from. It's IP, so it requires your internet to be working.

http://www.ooma.com/
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002O3 ... linkCode=a
Anon1234

Postby Mudpuppy » Sun Aug 19, 2012 10:04 pm

You could get a landline exclusively for 911. That will cost about $15-20 a month with AT&T after taxes are figured into the equation. However, if you live in an area that has enough people to be upgraded to AT&T uVerse, you likely also live in an area that has been updated to use E911 for cell phones. This allows the 911 system to use the GPS unit in your cell phone or triangulation with the provider's cell towers to pinpoint the location of the call, which should get the call routed to the appropriate local authority. You could inquire with the non-emergency number (NOT 911, look in the phone book for the non-emergency number) for your local law enforcement agency if you wanted to verify this.

Edit: By the way, some local law enforcement agencies support a service called Smart 911, which lets you associate a medical profile with specific phone numbers. When one of the registered numbers calls in, the screen for the dispatcher will show the registered medical information. If you call the non-emergency number about wireless E911 support, you should ask if they support this as well.
Mudpuppy

Postby skylar » Sun Aug 19, 2012 10:20 pm

At least some phone companies will maintain dial-tone service for 911 calls even if you're not paying for other land-line service. I *think* that if you pick up the handset and there'a a dial-tone, the FCC requires the phone company to let you place a 911 call.

Skylar
skylar

Postby Mudpuppy » Sun Aug 19, 2012 11:22 pm

skylar wrote:At least some phone companies will maintain dial-tone service for 911 calls even if you're not paying for other land-line service. I *think* that if you pick up the handset and there'a a dial-tone, the FCC requires the phone company to let you place a 911 call.

That wouldn't work for the OP since the OP's neighborhood is an AT&T uVerse neighborhood (hybrid fiber-copper service instead of traditional copper service). uVerse is essentially a digital service, not an analog service. There is no dial tone once your house's copper line has been "turned off" at the fiber optics level.
Mudpuppy

Postby William4u » Sun Aug 19, 2012 11:30 pm

We use free google voice hooked up to a Obi100 ($40). It is free incoming and outgoing anywhere in the US. We have cell phones for 911, but every city has a regular phone number that reaches the same 911 dispatch and works just like 911. We just put that 7 digit 911 dispatch number into the speed dial on the google voice phone, just in case we don't have the cell phones handy (which we usually do). See http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-573 ... th-an-obi/
William4u

Postby stlutz » Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:45 am

Get the Obi and then get 911 service from Call centric or Anveo for $1 or $2 per month. These companies are VOIP providers.
stlutz

Return to Personal Finance (Not Investing)