TRowe Price Portfolio Xray not working

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills

TRowe Price Portfolio Xray not working

Postby faltuk1 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 1:32 pm

I have been using Morningstar Tools via TRowe Price website. For last couple of weeks the Portfolio Xray is not working. It shows 0% for everything in the portfolio. It shows the breakup for S&P 500 benchmark, but not for the portfolio funds. Any idea?
faltuk1

Re: TRowe Price Portfolio Xray not working

Postby Johm221122 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:05 pm

After you sigh up at morningstar its free,I use it and have never paid a penny
Johm221122

Postby MollyRN » Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:22 pm

I just updated my Morningstar portfolio via TRowePrice & have had the same problem. Xray used to work fine, but not now... no idea why not.
MollyRN

Postby Munir » Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:25 pm

faltuk1 wrote:I have been using Morningstar Tools via TRowe Price website. For last couple of weeks the Portfolio Xray is not working. It shows 0% for everything in the portfolio. It shows the breakup for S&P 500 benchmark, but not for the portfolio funds. Any idea?

Ditto.
Munir

Postby Johm221122 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:47 pm

Maybe some kind of bug in there system, my portfolio view is showing fine
Johm221122

Postby gkaplan » Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:27 am

I have never been able to register, and I have tried numerous times.
Gordon
gkaplan

Postby JamesSFO » Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:57 am

FYI, as someone else here pointed out, if you are willing to share your portfolio at morningstar then you can get the Xray for free there.
JamesSFO

Postby Munir » Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:23 am

JamesSFO wrote:FYI, as someone else here pointed out, if you are willing to share your portfolio at morningstar then you can get the Xray for free there.

But M* will not save it, and you have to enter your holdings each time because it's only an instant x-ray report. The TR Price web site used to provide an analysis that could be saved, but not anymore- at least for some of us.
Munir

Postby JamesSFO » Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:45 am

Munir wrote:
JamesSFO wrote:FYI, as someone else here pointed out, if you are willing to share your portfolio at morningstar then you can get the Xray for free there.

But M* will not save it, and you have to enter your holdings each time because it's only an instant x-ray report. The TR Price web site used to provide an analysis that could be saved, but not anymore- at least for some of us.

That's what I thought, but I was wrong, if you SHARE your portfolio it saves it forever and you can edit it and add dividend reinvestments.

Here's a dummy portfolio I created: http://socialize.morningstar.com/NewSocialize/PortfolioSharing/SharedPortfolioSnapshot.aspx?q=46101273C4DB322E&t1=1343569475

You can have multiple portfolios even.
JamesSFO

Postby Munir » Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:25 am

JamesSFO wrote:
Munir wrote:

That's what I thought, but I was wrong, if you SHARE your portfolio it saves it forever and you can edit it and add dividend reinvestments.

Here's a dummy portfolio I created: http://socialize.morningstar.com/NewSocialize/PortfolioSharing/SharedPortfolioSnapshot.aspx?q=46101273C4DB322E&t1=1343569475

You can have multiple portfolios even.

Hi JamesSFO,

How do you SHARE your portfolio? I cannot find an icon on the M* site that guides me in that direction. Would the SHARED portfolio allow an x-ray image that can be saved?
Munir

Postby JamesSFO » Sun Jul 29, 2012 12:23 pm

Um, there was a thread here in May/June timeframe that had the steps, I'm not seeing it right now (looks like you just sign up as a member, no fee; then create portfolio; and then share portfolio from the menu).

As for "xray" the view I linked to is the view I can see and "save" via PDF/web capture. It seems nearly identical to the X-ray view.
JamesSFO

Postby minerva » Sun Jul 29, 2012 2:32 pm

Greetings all.

I've been here a long time and learned so much, but never imagined this would be my one of my first posts given other more pressing issues!

Nonetheless. I called Price on Friday and they said they are working on the problem (have know for about 10 days) and will e-mail me when it's fixed; they also offered to call. (They said only a few people had even called about in which I found surprising.)

They promised this weekend, but no word so far.

M.
minerva

Postby Petunia » Mon Jul 30, 2012 12:26 pm

JamesSFO wrote:Um, there was a thread here in May/June timeframe that had the steps, I'm not seeing it right now (looks like you just sign up as a member, no fee; then create portfolio; and then share portfolio from the menu).

As for "xray" the view I linked to is the view I can see and "save" via PDF/web capture. It seems nearly identical to the X-ray view.

OK, I "shared" my portfolio. I don't see how to x-ray it.
Petunia

Postby Polar_Ice » Mon Jul 30, 2012 2:48 pm

No need to sign in. Try it here:

http://morningstar.tdameritrade.com/TDA ... &private=0

Just save your inputs in a text file so you can make changes run it again easily.
Polar_Ice

Postby kenyan » Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:56 am

Good to know they're working on it. Wasn't my most pressing concern, but did peeve me over the last couple of weeks.
Retirement investing is a marathon.
kenyan

Postby Prokofiev » Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:04 am

Free X-Ray appears to be working again. It still doesn't have any info for VXUS, if that is part of your portfolio. VXUS is a relatively new ETF, but is over 18mo old.
Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler - Einstein
Prokofiev

Postby BlueEars » Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:58 pm

I tried the site now and could not find my previous portfolios. So I entered a new one and got an X-ray result. However, the details section is not there any more. So if you look at a holding like VTSMX (Total Stock Mkt) plus other stock funds, you cannot see how the style box breakdown goes for just VTSMX (percentages in LV, LB, LG, MV, MB, MG, SV, SB, SG) although you can see it for the portfolio as a whole. This data is important to me because I use it in a Excel spreadsheet. I suppose one could make up a portfolio with just one stock fund to get the breakdown in the 9 style box categories.

Is there a way of getting the detailed X-ray analysis in T. Rowe Price?
BlueEars

Postby BigFoot48 » Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:42 pm

I just logged into my portfolio (set up years ago, but recently "shared") and see both the x-ray and x-ray details section. I am not a TRP customer.
Retired
Two-time Top-10 Diehard S&P500 Picker; Nine-Time Loser
BigFoot48

Postby BlueEars » Wed Aug 01, 2012 4:03 pm

BigFoot48 wrote:I just logged into my portfolio (set up years ago, but recently "shared") and see both the x-ray and x-ray details section. I am not a TRP customer.

After seeing that you got this, I tried "Portfolio Manager" and did get back to the good old implementation. Thanks!
BlueEars

Postby Alan S. » Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:03 am

Interesting that you were able to get in.

Entire TRP website has been down around 10 hours now. Wonder if they use Knight for trading and are caught up in today's "glitch".
Alan S.

Postby Prokofiev » Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:18 am

Alan S. wrote:Interesting that you were able to get in.

Entire TRP website has been down around 10 hours now. Wonder if they use Knight for trading and are caught up in today's "glitch".

My bookmark has worked fine several times this afternoon. And I just checked it again. Might depend on your entry point, but it is finally back up and working.
Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler - Einstein
Prokofiev

Postby BlueEars » Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:49 am

Here is the link that has worked for me: http://individual.troweprice.com/public/Retail/Planning-&-Research/Tools-&-Resources/Investment-Planning/Portfolio-Manager . Then you will probably have to go through login and password screens.
BlueEars

Postby CharlesinCharge » Sun Dec 09, 2012 4:07 pm

The Portfolio XRay and Stock Intersection features on TRP's site were down as of 12/7/2012. I called TRP to report the outage and the person I spoke with said he was submiting a bug report to see if they could re-boot the database server. No word on when they expect problem to be resolved.
CharlesinCharge

Postby livesoft » Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:38 pm

"re-boot the database server"? I had to laugh because of this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8_Kfjo3VjU (warning: mild profanity)
It's all about short-term opportunistic rebalancing due to a short-term change in one's asset allocation, uh, I mean opportunistic rebalancing, uh I mean rebalancing, uh I mean market timing.
livesoft

Postby ddunca1944 » Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:51 pm

CharlesinCharge wrote:The Portfolio XRay and Stock Intersection features on TRP's site were down as of 12/7/2012. I called TRP to report the outage and the person I spoke with said he was submiting a bug report to see if they could re-boot the database server. No word on when they expect problem to be resolved.

Thank you for that. I've not been able to use the TRP Portfolio XRay and thought I was losing it....
ddunca1944

Postby minerva » Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:17 am

I may be a tad touchy, but I find this annoying - particularly since this problem has occurred twice in less than six months.

I do use Portfolio Manager quite a bit.

Since I'm in the midst of trying to simplify and consolidate accounts to Vanguard, I have been wondering about whether it is worth the additional ER to maintain my two non-index TRP funds. I'm told, you do have to maintain accounts there to use PM (X-ray may be another story.)

I'm not strong with Excel and don't have time to go there right now.

Anyone have any thoughts on this? The Vanguard tool (where you can add outside accounts) doesn't seem as comprehensive as the Morningstar PM @ TRP.

Perhaps i should start this as a separate topic but would appreciate any imput from this learned group!
minerva

Postby ddunca1944 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:05 am

I'm told, you do have to maintain accounts there to use PM (X-ray may be another story.)

The TRp Portfolio Track and X-ray tools are free. I use them a lot too (and am too cheap to pay for the premium Morningstar subscription)
ddunca1944

Postby CharlesinCharge » Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:50 am

This is what I see when I try to access the Stock Intersection part of the Portfolio XRay tool on TRP's site (since Friday night):

Server Error in '/NewPort' Application.
The remote server returned an error: (500) Internal Server Error.
Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.Net.WebException: The remote server returned an error: (500) Internal Server Error.

Source Error:

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.

Stack Trace:

[WebException: The remote server returned an error: (500) Internal Server Error.]
System.Net.HttpWebRequest.CheckFinalStatus() +680
System.Net.HttpWebRequest.EndGetResponse(IAsyncResult asyncResult) +139
System.Net.HttpWebRequest.GetResponse() +248
NewPort.QuoteServiceHelpper.GetQuoteData(String indexes) +493
NewPort.QuoteServiceHelpper.InsteadQuoteValues(DataTable sourceTable, String indexes) +93
NewPort.getPfXrayXML_BySecId_LongShort.fetch_PfXrayXML(String p_sSymbolList) +596
NewPort.Premium.AllPremXRay.ProcessCurrentPortfolio() +529
NewPort.Premium.AllPremXRay.Page_Load(Object sender, EventArgs e) +1498
System.Web.UI.Control.OnLoad(EventArgs e) +67
System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive() +35
System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain() +750

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:1.1.4322.2032; ASP.NET Version:1.1.4322.2032

It's been awhile since I had to do any DBA type tasks, but I'll wager that a TRP database server somewhere has crashed hard and TRP now needs to reboot it physically. However, I am not a paying customer of TRP and simply use their tool to analyze holdings across a variety of different brokerages and funds (Schwab, Vanguard and Putnam currently). It is not a valuable enough tool for me to pay Morningstar (which I believe licenses it to TRP) the $190 Morningstar currently asks for its annual Premium membership. I am thinking about developing my own app to replicate what this one does, but haven't decided to bite that particular bullet just yet.

My understanding is that the PM tool is free at TRP but you have to pay to use it at Morningstar. Definitely frustrating when we depend on it. And makes me far less inclined to consider becoming a paying customer of TRP.
CharlesinCharge

Postby SpringMan » Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:45 am

ddunca1944 wrote:
I'm told, you do have to maintain accounts there to use PM (X-ray may be another story.)

The TRp Portfolio Track and X-ray tools are free. I use them a lot too (and am too cheap to pay for the premium Morningstar subscription)

There is another way to get a free portfolio xray that stores across computer sessions at the Morningstar site without a premium membership. You need to set up a Login ID which is free and allows you to post in their discussion groups. After logging in you can set up a portfolio(s) using their portfolio manager tool. While in the tool, the xray still does not work but later the portfolio will be displayed as a briefcase next to your handle in any posts you do in any M* discussion groups. Go to a discussion group of your choice and post something. After your post appears, select the briefcase along side your handle, it will display your previously set up portfolio(s). Selecting a portfolio will display information about it including the xray. Absolute dollar amounts are not displayed, only percentages. I have verified that these results match those of TRowePrice's website.
Best Wishes, SpringMan
SpringMan

Postby ddunca1944 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:26 pm

They seem to have fixed it. I just tried and it is working for me now... :D
ddunca1944

Postby CharlesinCharge » Tue Dec 11, 2012 4:20 am

ddunca1944 wrote:They seem to have fixed it. I just tried and it is working for me now... :D

Are you using the TRPrice version or the Morningstar version? TRP version is still down for me as of 12/11/2012. Am pretty sure I will be developing my own tool to replicate this (at least the 'Stock Intersection' functionality that shows your holdings across various fund companies and holdings).

I'll post here again when i have a beta version ready to use (probly after Christmas).
CharlesinCharge

Postby greetje » Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:09 am

I have had the portfolio tracker for years but last 6 months can not use it.

When I log on it says no portfolio is set up. I had 3 of them set up but they are gone.

I then go through the long process of setting up my new portfolio and when I try click submit, it says Portfolio not recognized, due to wrong portfolio name.
Change the portfolio name. I do but it still will not recognize my portfolio.
greetje

Postby ddunca1944 » Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:01 pm

CharlesinCharge wrote:
ddunca1944 wrote:They seem to have fixed it. I just tried and it is working for me now... :D

Are you using the TRPrice version or the Morningstar version? TRP version is still down for me as of 12/11/2012. Am pretty sure I will be developing my own tool to replicate this (at least the 'Stock Intersection' functionality that shows your holdings across various fund companies and holdings).

I'll post here again when i have a beta version ready to use (probly after Christmas).

The TRP version. It worked yesterday, but today when I tried it, I get the error message...
ddunca1944

Postby livesoft » Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:03 pm

greetje wrote:...
When I log on it says no portfolio is set up. I had 3 of them set up but they are gone.

I then go through the long process of setting up my new portfolio and when I try click submit, it says Portfolio not recognized, due to wrong portfolio name.

When I have seen "no portfolio is set up", I simply ignore it, leave the TRowePrice web site and try again later. My portfolios have always eventually showed up. I have never entered a new portfolio, so I have never lost any of them.

So I just recommend having some patience because you get what you pay for. And I have paid nothing for this service.

PS: I just tried it now and it works for me.
It's all about short-term opportunistic rebalancing due to a short-term change in one's asset allocation, uh, I mean opportunistic rebalancing, uh I mean rebalancing, uh I mean market timing.
livesoft

Postby greetje » Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:17 pm

livesoft wrote:
greetje wrote:...

When I have seen "no portfolio is set up", I simply ignore it, leave the TRowePrice web site and try again later. My portfolios have always eventually showed up. I have never entered a new portfolio, so I have never lost any of them.

So I just recommend having some patience because you get what you pay for. And I have paid nothing for this service.

PS: I just tried it now and it works for me.

I ALWAYS get this message.
"You do not currently have a portfolio. Please create a new one."
This has been going on at least a year. I have tried to set up a whole new portfolio a few times but it then says
"Portfolio name is required to set up a portfolio."
Even though i have named it it never gets me to the next page after i click on submit.
greetje

Postby gkaplan » Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:22 pm

It's never worked for me.
Gordon
gkaplan

Postby CharlesinCharge » Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:57 am

Seems to be back now on the TRP site. Looks like all my previously entered data has been saved. Thanks for the help, everyone!
CharlesinCharge

Postby CharlesinCharge » Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:34 am

Looks like, as of Febuary 1, 2013, the TRP Portfoilio X-Ray is down yet again. Twice in a little more than 60 days. Really annoying that it seems to go down when there is no one there to take the crash report.

Sigh. I suppose I'll try off and on over the weekend and call it in on Monday if it's not back up.
CharlesinCharge

Postby Robert The Bruce » Sat Feb 02, 2013 5:11 pm

FWIW, I check and update my portfolio monthly and have never had a problem. I used it yesterday - seemlessly - and just logged in right now and it all looks good. I know that doesn't help you but there it is.
The stone age didn't end for lack of stone.
Robert The Bruce

Postby Regal 56 » Sat Feb 02, 2013 7:51 pm

CharlesinCharge wrote:Looks like, as of Febuary 1, 2013, the TRP Portfoilio X-Ray is down yet again. Twice in a little more than 60 days. Really annoying that it seems to go down when there is no one there to take the crash report.

I used it on February 1. Worked fine for me.
Regal 56

Postby CharlesinCharge » Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:30 pm

What a dodgy application. Really frustrating. Now it is 'working' after a fashion, but failing to gather up all my mutual fund holdings before analyzing them and, in fact, leaving out about 50% of the mutual funds I have entered.

Result is that, while I know that Apple is by far my largest holding (at about 2% of overall portfolio assets), it shows it as a puny 0.17% of portfolios assets and well down the list of holdings WHEN iT SHOULD BE AT THE VERY TOP OF THE LIST!

Tried to send their Tech Support an email about it off their online platform and got a very nasty error message that my email was not delivered.

Grr. TRP get a big thumbs down from me for their lackluster delivery and support.

Result is that i cannot trust what TRP is telling me to make decisions about my portfolio. And it makes me very dubious about TRP's bona fides that they provide such poor support to this application. I'm happy staying with Schwab. While its analytical tools are not quite as sophisticated, they work 99.9% of the time and there's no bullshit about them.
CharlesinCharge

Postby 618744 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:53 pm

I've entered my portfolio in TRP's version of M*'s portfolio manager. After using the "auto-update" feature for reinvested dividends,
I noticed that the "shares held" values were less than actual by 1/2 to nearly 1%. I have the same portfolio entered on the M* site,
and found that the TRP version records incorrect share prices for some (not all) reinvest transactions. These errors compound so that
the portfolio value appears as 1% lower than actual. Not a huge percentage, but a good chunk of change in dollars.

I'll stick with the Morningstar site, I guess. I'll keep a regular account when my premium membership runs out. I can enter my few
holdings into the trial portfolio x-ray occasionally.

Return to Personal Finance (Not Investing)